DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Considering a change.

Really thinking lately of cutting back on gigging? I'm 63 and still work full time days and the band I'm in for the last 22 years has a pretty aggresive schedule. This past year I'm starting to feel it taking it's toll on my body, not to mention all the family sacrifices I've made since I started doing this back in the early 70's.

I still love to play but the demands on me and not to mention playing the same stuff over and over it's almost like groundhog day!

Maybe time for a smaller trio type situation? Work a couple of times a month?

I was hoping to get another 2.5 years out of this and leave after my youngest graduates college, then child support ends woo hoo!

Any of you dealing with similar circumstances? I would love to hear your imput.

2b
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Considering a change.

To tell you the truth, I've never gigged before and I'd probably be too young to be gigging but what I think you could do is talk to the band about cutting back a little bit on touring since it's taking a toll on you. I'm imagining they're all probably around your age right? But anyways, the best I could tell you is that you could either retire when the time's right or get all of the band on an agreement or something like that to cut back on touring.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Consider this; We all know other drummers, so why not train a friend to do your show?.You do 2 then he does 2 and so on. Also, you can work it out long enough in advance you wont miss family stuff, which is way more important. Believe me, it works out great!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies, I do have a couple of back up drummers and they have helped me out in the past. They keep pretty busy so I need to do some early planning. I did run this by the band leader and he was pretty open as long as I can play the big jobs, whatever that means.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Matt Bo Eder

At 63, I suppose there would be no shame in slowing down some. This depends on how much you really love to play. Some guys (like Bermuda) will always be playing because there's nothing else they would rather do. I'd love to play all the time, but I have other things that I love to do and make a living at when the drumming calls don't come in.

I envy you guys who "play too much".
Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I envy you guys who "play too much".
Just ask Neil Peart nowadays or Ringo in his heyday.......
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Really thinking lately of cutting back on gigging? I'm 63 and still work full time days and the band I'm in for the last 22 years has a pretty aggresive schedule. This past year I'm starting to feel it taking it's toll on my body, not to mention all the family sacrifices I've made since I started doing this back in the early 70's.

I still love to play but the demands on me and not to mention playing the same stuff over and over it's almost like groundhog day!

But the money keeps you going?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post

Maybe time for a smaller trio type situation? Work a couple of times a month?

I was hoping to get another 2.5 years out of this and leave after my youngest graduates college, then child support ends woo hoo!

Any of you dealing with similar circumstances? I would love to hear your imput.

2b
I'm more than ten years younger than you, I work full time too and did a gig on Saturday that entailed roughly a 10 ten mile round trip, so pretty easy stuff. I was shattered for the whole of Sunday!its down to everyone how many gigs they want to play, I'm was doing 2-3 a month but now that I'm in two bands it's closer to 3-4 with some months in my diary showing me busy one or more nights every weekend some months. I enjoy it but it does make family time very difficult.
I don't know how often you're playing or what the gigs entail but I imagine that there are people who play at my "pub level" who are looking at my schedule and thinking I'm a lightweight while others will be thinking they couldn't fit that many gigs in.
You've been doing it since the 70's too! By all means reign it in, sure drumming and band life is fun but let's not kid ourselves that it's entirely free of difficulty, late nights, long drives, rip off venues etc. Even one local gig at the end of a day can take me 6+ hours to drive to, set up for, play, set down, and drive home from. That's not to be swept under the carpet with a glib "I do it for the love of the music" remark, it's a a big commitment to effectively another working day at the end of your working day!!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

I'm in a horrible position.

I love playing drums in a band. But I know that if I don't play in a band I won't play drums. Always been about the band for me.

I love the band I'm in.

But I'm getting gradually irritated by one member of said band. I don't have a high tolerance for people. After a couple of examples of this guy being a bit of an arsehole, I'm thinking of walking. Hopefully I'd take the other guys with me and we could carry on sans-bass player. But I don't take such for granted and if they decided they wanted to continue as they were then I'd respect their position.

So. I'm also considering a change. That is probably 'retirement' from drumming. It's a shame and I'm totally torn.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
I'm in a horrible position.

I love playing drums in a band. But I know that if I don't play in a band I won't play drums. Always been about the band for me.

I love the band I'm in.

But I'm getting gradually irritated by one member of said band. I don't have a high tolerance for people. After a couple of examples of this guy being a bit of an arsehole, I'm thinking of walking. Hopefully I'd take the other guys with me and we could carry on sans-bass player. But I don't take such for granted and if they decided they wanted to continue as they were then I'd respect their position.

So. I'm also considering a change. That is probably 'retirement' from drumming. It's a shame and I'm totally torn.
Very similiar to my thoughts, plus I've "been there" too.
I joined my first band before I'd even seen a drumkit, it was all about the fun of being in a band and not about the instrument itself. Nearly 40 years on I still feel the same so I can't knock that attitude.

And RE: that one band member. A band that 5 of us built up over a 5 year period was always (in my opinion) compromised by one member for various reasons both on and off stage. After picking up what turned out to be our largest and most prestigious gig (& one I'd dreamed of landing for over 20 years) he made a suggestion (demand) that resulted in two of us putting our view forward in reply, cue bust up and the dissolution of the band. And now just over 3 years since then the other 4 of us are back together as a 4 piece doing a similiar act and I for one am enjoying it significantly more than before
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Funny at the gig last night one of the leaders, now 69 was saying he is planning on selling his house in two years and moving to Maine. I am sure at our age this schedule will come to an end by then. Maybe I can ride it out with some subs sitting in to take off some of the burden. Our bass player is leaving at the end of July (bumber, great bass player) and his replacement, just a kid at 42 is going to be the bass player / roadie. He will make $100 per gig on top of his band pay per gig and wil move and setup all the gear. This should make my gigging a bit easier. I do however have to leave my gear in his van! I do like to switch my kits up at times but screw it, I can live playing my 4 piece Magstar kit for these gigs.