DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Default 20 x 18 kick drum

Can anyone speak on playing a kick with such dimensions? The only size with which I have playing experience is 14 x 22. Thanks ahead.

Tim
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Re: 20 x 18 kick drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumlove65 View Post
Can anyone speak on playing a kick with such dimensions? The only size with which I have playing experience is 14 x 22. Thanks ahead.

Tim
I have a maple 20 x 20 that sounds great and feels good. It requires a pillow to reduce a little "pipe" resonance, but I think that is mostly due to the laquered interior (not only the dimensions).
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

My Magstar bass is 20x18, nice deep tone. I always use a lift on my 20" kicks, really helps the drum resonate IMO.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

A couple of years ago I traded away a beautiful set of Yamaha Maple Customs, mainly because the kick was that size and I absolutely hated it,

In my experience, that punchy responsiveness that is so great in a 14x22 is nowhere to be found in the 18x20. It's sluggish and also being a 20 it's not like there's some great payoff in terms of chest thumping tone. Coincidentally I traded those Yammies for a 3ply Ludwig SC with a 14x22 and it was one of the few smart things I've done, that kick drum is fantastic....sublime........both sound and feel

Plus I didn't like the look, these long tube-ish kicks just don't do it for me at all,

Opinions are like butt openings, of course....
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 PM

I looked at a Sonor SE kit (birch) with a 20X20 kick that sounded like a cannon. Big booming sound without having to kick the snot out of it. But the toms and snare with it sounded cheap, so I didn't buy it.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 AM
The SunDog

Every 18" deep BD I've ever owned, 20, 22 and 24 sounded great. No "boominess" or "sluggishness". In fact my 20X18 DW Collectors easily bested my 20X16 Pearl MLX side by side. Both of those were top end kits. To agree with an earlier post, I don't like the look of such a deep drum, plus a 20" diameter is just not loud enough for me. I play a 24x16 now, a Collectors, and it's my fave, but my backup kit has a 24X18 and it sounds great too. Don't fear the 18 depth.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 AM

i have a 20x16 bass drum and it sounds good to me. the plus is that it is so much easier to cart around in an automobile than the 18 inch depth. plus i think it looks better.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post
A couple of years ago I traded away a beautiful set of Yamaha Maple Customs, mainly because the kick was that size and I absolutely hated it,

In my experience, that punchy responsiveness that is so great in a 14x22 is nowhere to be found in the 18x20. It's sluggish and also being a 20 it's not like there's some great payoff in terms of chest thumping tone. Coincidentally I traded those Yammies for a 3ply Ludwig SC with a 14x22 and it was one of the few smart things I've done, that kick drum is fantastic....sublime........both sound and feel

Plus I didn't like the look, these long tube-ish kicks just don't do it for me at all,

Pretty much the same here. 20" kicks are cool for some rooms, but often you'll want a nice, punchy 22" for louder gigs. Best to have both drums on hand if you can.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have two 20x20" kicks. One is a Ludwig maple Centennial, and the other one is a Basix birch. Both kicks are ported. The Basix birch is the loudest kick I've ever played. The Ludwig is pretty loud, but it has a warmer tone.

The looks take a little to get used to; it's very culvert-like. There's not a ton of bounce backs, and if you are into fast double-kicks it can be a little sluggish. My 22x18" maple Pork Pie USA custom has a little bit better response. You probably won't have this issue by having a 18" deep kick.

It's not quite as "deep" sounding as a 22" but it's close. If you are miking, it won't matter. In addition, I feel that there's a world of difference between hauling a 20" kick in a gig bag as opposed to a 22" in a hard case. My back has thanked me for that one.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

I went from a 22 18 to a 20 18 and am fine with it. I always mic the kick so I do EQ it a bit. I agree with Pork Pie Guy! Saves on the back! Coming from the 70s big kit days it takes a little getting used to looking at the smaller drum though.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 PM

I have a 20" kick that is only 12" deep. It feels a bit different, but works for me in most instances. Have used it on some recordings, and have played it in a few clubs.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

I have a virgin 20x18 maple ply kick drum and I think it's brilliant, especially paired with my 14x5 brass snare (black beauty clone). I could play just these two drums all day. I've had the kick since 2004 and I never plan on getting rid of it, so I was not shy about drilling it for a DW lift. So virgin shell, lifted, beater dead center, with Superkick I batter and no muffling inside the shell. I don't hear boomy. I hear/feel that shell resonating. Love this drum.

That said, I really like an old school 22x14 as well. I would really be happy with either as my primary kick. Would love to have one of each, but not practical for me at the moment.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post

Well it is a relative to taste.

I sold a ludwig legacy because I disliked the 22x14 kit.

Thought it was the ludwig recipe I disliked.

Bought a Gretsch usa custom with a 22x14 kick, did not like either sound nor response and I must have bought 6 different set of heads before throwing in the towel.

Now it's 22x18 all the way.

I would go 20x18 or 20x16 without hesitation.

Keep in mind we are all different !

Edit 1: 24x14 I do love, can't really gat what I want out of 22x14, go figure.
Edit 2: no worries though I made money off the sale of both kits...

Last edited by Groov-E; 04-29-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but the whole discussion is IMO more or less pointless so far. What kind of 20x18 are we talking about? Open or closed reso-head? Which material? (Acryl, wood, carbon-fibre?) If wood, how many plies and which wood type? Or is it a stave-shell? What about bearing edges, reinforcement-rings? It all matters.

I could state that the Sonor 20x17.5 bassdrum is not really impressive. Another guy will say "hell no, it's great". Both are right. Oh... I talk about the Force 2007 birch bassdrum. He talks about a SQ2 beech bassdrum. Apples and oranges.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
I have a 20" kick that is only 12" deep. It feels a bit different, but works for me in most instances. Have used it on some recordings, and have played it in a few clubs.
What make is the 20 x 12 bass drum? I use a 20 x 12 Sonor Player bass drum and kit, always intrigued by the other 12 depths.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:15 AM

I have an older Yamaha Stage Custom (1 piece lugs) with a 17x20 kick. I also own a Saturn that has the biggest sounding 22" kick I've ever owned. I like using the Yammy kit in some of the smaller bars I play at. We always mic the kick for a little more presence; roll on a little low end EQ and it sounds great, I think. Like the punch I get from it. Clear EMAD with Aquarian regulator, 4" offset port. Good little kick drum, but certainly not as satisfying from the driver's seat as the Saturn.

Last edited by gish; 04-30-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
What make is the 20 x 12 bass drum?
It's a TJS Custom Maple from TJS Custom Drums.

http://www.tjscustomdrums.com/
Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

I played 18X20 Yam. BCAN for a few yrs. I didn't notice much difference in feel between it and the 18X22. I had one of ea. The sound was a little more focused on the 20 and not quite as low of a note as the 22. The kick I'm using now is a 16X22 and feels about the same. It's been a long time since I've used a 14X22 so I really can't compare 14X22 to a 18X20. I will say this about the 20. I really liked being able to set my toms lower on the kick. The sound was not as open as the 22 and the tuning was more sensitive, meaning the I had to use smaller turns of the key to find the sound I wanted, but it tuned pretty low like a kick should sound, and I was quite happy with it. I used a SK1 batter and stock Yamaha logo head (ps3 I think) with a 4" port.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
It's a TJS Custom Maple from TJS Custom Drums.

http://www.tjscustomdrums.com/
thanks for sharing the info on TJS-

Let's start a "Twenty___" x less than 14" Bass Drum Thread!