DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Ran out of GAS

Can anyone relate to the feeling of....I'm done buying drum stuff?

I'm there. No desire for anything else since I got a tom tree for my walnut set.

I mean where else is there to go? I'm in the promised land already. I worked so hard to get here, why would I want to leave and start over?

I got a great guitar amp, 2 Fender guitars, and I am done buying guitar stuff too.

It's a good feeling not being distracted by gear. One less distraction to stand between myself and my playing.

I never thought I would get to this place. Not sure how long it will last, but right now I feel like it's permanent. To illustrate this, I still have $1,000 of play money from what I got when my Mom passed on. It's my money to do with as I wish. I honestly can't think of anything to spend it on musically, and I've tried. That's how I know. The money is not burning a hole in my pocket. Weird.

It's all about practice now. I highly recommend taking the plunge, and just get what you want, your "dream" kit...and be done with it. With the goal of ending the GAS. After all it's the playing of the drums, not the buying of the drums, that is the main focus.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ran out of GAS

Yes, and I have far less stuff and not as nice as stuff as you.
I usually buy something (drum, hardware, cymbal...) monthly, for about the last 8 years. I re-sell a lot of the purchases and move up.
After about 8 years , I have not bought anything for 4 months now and have no desire to. I am finally completely happy with all my cymbals and drums, even paring down to essentials - 3 snares, 2 kits, 2 sets of cymbals.
I now try to read and focus more on the ' my playing/drumming/technique' threads, straying from gear threads. But damn those off-topics and c/list are still funny.

Last edited by opentune; 04-20-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I'll let you know after I finally get to buy real drum gear. Until then....nope! Sadly no gear will make me sound any better :(
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

This happened to me a few years ago. I was getting tired of the constant shuffling of gear coming through my house. After years of it, I finally said, "You know, I've got everything I need, and all of this extra stuff is just making life difficult." I'm feeling the same way about my house, too. We have a decent-sized house for raising kids and supporting my music business, but I am looking forward to the kids growing up and leaving ONLY for the idea that we will move and downsize our house. I have plans...small house, large detached garage (for music), and a large plot for growing an expansive vegetable garden.

Priorities change. At first, I was thinking, "What's wrong with me?" in regards to not wanting to hunt music gear anymore, but I've come to realize that I'm simply done with that phase, that mentality, and now I've moved on to the next stage, and all of the new fulfilling things that come with it...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Well you know what I did ;)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I'm down to heads/sticks at this point. I like all three of my kits and try to keep at least two of them set up with one in the bags ready to venture out. I might be looking for some different tom mics for the studio. That's about it.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'm running out of GAS too. I don't have the best of everything, but I like what I got, and there isn't a whole lot more that I need. I'm not rich enough to be a collector. I'm pretty content with what I have acquired. I've pretty much stopped buying stuff for drums. I don't even care if I get a Guru snare drum or not. I don't really need one, other than to say I have one. In the end though, who gives a crap what I have, or have not?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Must be nice reaching drum nirvana-least equipment wise. I'm happy for you. I, a lowly caterpillar, inch towards my goals-but I'll get there and one day turn into a beautiful butterfly. Like anyone believes that-who am I kidding I'm a maggot so I'll turn into a fly-but a fly who has his dream drum kit. Buzz, buzz, buzz
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
This happened to me a few years ago. I was getting tired of the constant shuffling of gear coming through my house. After years of it, I finally said, "You know, I've got everything I need, and all of this extra stuff is just making life difficult." I'm feeling the same way about my house, too. We have a decent-sized house for raising kids and supporting my music business, but I am looking forward to the kids growing up and leaving ONLY for the idea that we will move and downsize our house. I have plans...small house, large detached garage (for music), and a large plot for growing an expansive vegetable garden.

Priorities change. At first, I was thinking, "What's wrong with me?" in regards to not wanting to hunt music gear anymore, but I've come to realize that I'm simply done with that phase, that mentality, and now I've moved on to the next stage, and all of the new fulfilling things that come with it...
Very wise words indeed.

I speak as a completely guilty party here. The whole gear thing is a big circus. Fun and exciting and time consuming for sure, and fun...and time consuming...and exciting...but you can't live at the circus forever. The less time spent there, the better the playing will be. It's good to know that the real journey is after all that. GAS' mission is to not have GAS at some point.

Like I don't think plumbers go on forums and have micro focused discussions about their wrenches. It's supposed to be about what you do with the wrenches, right?

I'm not trying to impose any standards on anyone else, especially Bo. Life just would not be the same without Bo's excursions into gearland :)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

We live in a culture of consumption where we are constantly being prodded to over-consume everything. Feels good to step out of that and into a space of fulfillment and contentment.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
We live in a culture of consumption where we are constantly being prodded to over-consume everything. Feels good to step out of that and into a space of fulfillment and contentment.
That's about as boiled down simple as it gets right there.

Right up my alley :)

Prodded to over consume? Jason, how can you possibly say that? Just because I get advertised to when I:

Empty my bladder in a public place...
Sit at a stoplight and my GPS program asks me if I want to go to KFC for lunch, it would only add 1.4 miles and 7 minutes to the trip...
Go out anywhere in public...

How can you possibly say that we are prodded to overconsume?

:)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's about as boiled down simple as it gets right there.

Right up my alley :)

Prodded to over consume? Jason, how can you possibly say that? Just because I get advertised to when I:

Empty my bladder in a public place...
Sit at a stoplight and my GPS program asks me if I want to go to KFC for lunch, it would only add 1.4 miles and 7 minutes to the trip...
Go out anywhere in public...

How can you possibly say that we are prodded to overconsume?

:)
Took me a minute to respond, as I was distracted by the ads on the backs of magazines on my side table, television commercials in the background and the banner ads at the top and bottom of this page.

But to your point, yeah, absolutely no evidence that we are constantly encouraged to buy and consume more and more and more. Not sure what I was thinking. ;-)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Took me a minute to respond, as I was distracted by the ads on the backs of magazines on my side table, television commercials in the background and the banner ads at the top and bottom of this page.
It's OK.. It's April 20th. Many of us are distracted by trivial things today.

Have you ever really looked at your hand?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

This is exactly why I don't want to buy a set of Guru drums.
Why would I want the quest for the perfect drum set to end?

Hey Larry, maybe you can pay me by the hour to practice for you. LOL

Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

I'm not trying to impose any standards on anyone else, especially Bo. Life just would not be the same without Bo's excursions into gearland :)
And life isn't the same. Sorry. When I start giving things away, then you know I'm serious.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
It's OK.. It's April 20th. Many of us are distracted by trivial things today.

Have you ever really looked at your hand?
Aw man! I went to look at it and noticed I couldn't feel it, man!

Wait... what?

Never mind, I think.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Why would I want the quest for the perfect drum set to end?
You can't possibly imagine until you find your set...

How do explain a Rembrant to a blind person?

It's a strange, centered, calm feeling, knowing I'm off the treadmill.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Being po', I've learned to be pretty happy with what I have. Most of you guys wouldn't be happy with it at all. But it lets me play, and play with others. I'm happy with that.

Other than a couple of small percussion add-ons (cowbell, shakers), I really don't look at much anymore. The only thing I spend on are consumables like heads and sticks, and that's not very often.

PDP CX 5 piece in sky blue pearl
Zildjian A cymbals
Protechtor bags
Various sticks
Old mixture of single braced hardware.
Gibraltar throne

This will likely be the last set I ever own.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

The GAS light on my drummer dashboard has just come on.

Not quite out of GAS, but very close.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 AM
wildbill
This message has been deleted by wildbill.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

About the GAS thing. I'm done - pretty sure - almost positive.

Haven't felt the itch to get something for a while, and looking back, the GAS frenzy I got caught up in seems a bit ridiculous.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Last edited by wildbill; 04-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Sadly no gear will make me sound any better :(
In my experience, this isn't true. Even I sound ok when I play my own lovely drums. Obviously, if I were genuinely a half-decent player, I'd sound good on a cardboard box, but I'm happy for my gear to make me sound better than I am - I need all the help I can get!

I'm pretty done with GAS too. I have a hankering after that bloody ovangkol snare that I played last year, but I know I don't need it and I can't be sure that I'd even play it, if I had it. I only have two snares but then again, I play a very limited repertoire. I have one set of cymbals that I absolutely adore and that I believe work perfectly for me.

If I made a significant purchase without any genuine need for it, it would be sheer gluttony and selfishness.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 AM

My wife and I have a lot of gear-centric hobbies/passions from her horse and dressage competition habit, our mountain bike habit and our 10+ bikes, hunting and all our damn shotguns.......and then the drums.

So I am more than happy with my Starclassic Birches, I do find myself buying small items like cymbals, hardware upgrades etc. but I'm good......don't really "want" for much.

Never really got GAS with drum stuff.....once I got good equipment it was always about the playing for me.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
The GAS light on my drummer dashboard has just come on.

Not quite out of GAS, but very close.
Same here. I realize that I have too much stuff and have already started in making my mind up, which stuff will stay and which stuff will go. Some things got sold already, others will follow. Once you know what kind of sound you are after, you pretty much run out of GAS I guess, unless you are a collector or tinkerer (who loves to restore old drums).
Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

I decided long ago that more or better gear would not make me a better player. I downsized all my equipment, Drums, Bass and Guitar to the minimum I need to play, and I spend my time and effort on playing, experimenting with tuning's, and writing some songs for fun, and recording.

I now spend no time wishing and looking and hoping for a better drum or guitar, and spend my time getting the maximum out of what I have. I have not even scratched the surface yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

I'm going against the grain on this one. Last saturday i heard a drummer playing covers in the park and his drum sound was cheap and terrible. I couldn't help thinking that he would sound better with nicer gear. Only my opinion. I hear it over and over better gear won't make me a better player. Well i beg to differ. Better gear will definitely make you sound better and really if you sound better you play better. Simplifying your style to one set up or one kit retards versatility in my opinion. Sorry Laz but more power to Ya!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Pete, I do think that we can all agree that once you have amassed gear of a certain quality-level, the gain in new snares, drums, cymbals will be minimal. Of course, a drumset with brass-cymbals and a cheapo steelsnare with cheapo heads and wires won't sound great. But once you have some pro-cymbals, like Paiste 2002 or Zildjian K or Sabian HHX or ... plus a good snare and a middle-class drumset like a Stage Custom, you are basically well equipped and getting that Kerope cymbal won't make you "better". It will sound a bit different, but not specifically better.

If I compare e.g. my 800 bucks Star Buginga snare to my SLP Classic Maple snare that cost 330 bucks, then I must state that although the Star Snare is absolutely fantastic, it does not sound 500 bucks better than the Maple snare. It sounds different. Both are great instruments and are really amazing, despite the price-gap.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

Well i play better on a Kerope than an old Klanger but that's just me. I didn't say that better was more expensive. Although most of the time you do get what you pay for. Difference between say a Kerope ride and a 602 ride is sound and feel, but that difference can assist in stylistic playing that suits those cymbals. Each being different.. Try playing some Modern Essentials hi hats then go to some 402's , i bet the Essentials make you play with more fluidity.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 04-21-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Got to recognise it for what it is. A dopamine hit. Now my time is better spent trying to figure out what Nate Smith is doing with his left hand.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Well i play better on a Kerope than an old Klanger but that's just me. I didn't say that better was more expensive. Although most of the time you do get what you pay for. Difference between say a Kerope ride and a 602 ride is sound and feel, but that difference can assist in stylistic playing that suits those cymbals. Each being different.. Try playing some Modern Essentials hi hats then go to some 402's , i bet the Essentials make you play with more fluidity.

I doubt you play better but It might sound better. A good drummer can make almost any kit sound good. Also, I play a number of genres on my mid range kit, from Jazz through to heavy Rock. I get the different sounds by playing it differently and sometimes tuning it differently and using different sticks. Its one of the drumming skills. Each to there own.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I decided long ago that more or better gear would not make me a better player. I downsized all my equipment, Drums, Bass and Guitar to the minimum I need to play, and I spend my time and effort on playing, experimenting with tuning's, and writing some songs for fun, and recording.

I now spend no time wishing and looking and hoping for a better drum or guitar, and spend my time getting the maximum out of what I have. I have not even scratched the surface yet.
Terrific post mikel.

A great saying comes to mind...It's better to want what you have, than to have what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Got to recognise it for what it is. A dopamine hit. Now my time is better spent trying to figure out what Nate Smith is doing with his left hand.

Very insightful. It is like crack. You ended your post with a reference to the very crux of the biscuit, getting down to playing.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Administrator

In the past weeks I have sold a snare, a cymbal and I may have sold my Bop kit and one other cymbal. I am liquidating the stuff on my selves. No more GAS here.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 04-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Remember these posts boys. Mobile phones give you a dopamine hit too! Heck even agreeable posts give you a dopamine hit as well. Gee minimalists are better. How the frigg would you know what makes me play better
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Well i play better on a Kerope than an old Klanger but that's just me.
Maye you should better phrase it: I THINK I play better on a Kerope. If you actually do play better on a Kerope, that should be decided by e.g. an impartial teacher.
Quote:
Try playing some Modern Essentials hi hats then go to some 402's , i bet the Essentials make you play with more fluidity.
Maybe, maybe not. I bet there is someone out there who will play better with some 402 hats. And someone out there, who will play well on both hats.

You know what? I do like my HHX Evolution Hihats. But I also love my "cheaper" Masterwork Custom hats. Do I play better with the one or the other? Nope. I play identically on both hig-end Hihats. But the sound is different.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I still want to get a nice Sabian ride though, but I think I can do without a BLack Beauty.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

I guess everyone can do without a B/B. Still, some people want that snare ... or any other "elite-snare". :)

Ride-cymbals on the other hand a a different thing. You cannot tune rides, you cannot alter the sound that much as the sound from a snare. Still, it is a central part of a drumset. Thus it is logical that people try to have different rides for different "jobs" at their disposal.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

I'm kind of in the opposite place.

I spent the first 25 years of my playing life not paying any attention to gear. All I cared about was practice. I wanted to get better as a drummer (I was overly-focused on technique, but I was committed) and what I played on was of no importance to me. I got my first drum set at 17. I added a cymbal a year or two later and replaced my throne when it broke. That was it. I wasn't good at tuning or getting a good sound out of my drums. I think I had the stock reso heads on my toms for 25 years.

Then I had my cymbals and some hardware stolen during a gig about 8 years go. I had been thinking about buying a new set for a while, and that was the incentive I needed to do it. I bought all new everything, from drums to cymbals to hardware. I experimented with heads and really learned how to tune. I revamped my hand technique. Took some lessons again. Got involved with tons of musical situations and, although I'm not good at it, put myself out there. Long story short, I made up for lost time.

But now? Now I want gear. I want the stuff I never paid attention to for all those years. And to be honest, I couldn't have afforded it back then anyway. But I can now. And I want more! So I still have an itch for more stuff. And although I haven't made too many purchases the past couple years, I know I will add more stuff in the future. Call it a mid-life crisis, I guess.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

I agree with the "I play better with better gear" idea. I think though its a matter of more drastic differences in gear though. There's not much of a difference on how I play on a Tama Star set vs how I play on a "less expensive" Tama Starclassic set.

A number of years ago I had an entry level, very inexpensive drum set with extremely inexpensive entry level cymbals that came with the drum set. I think I spent less than $600 for everything new. 5 piece set including all hardware, crash, ride and hi hat cymbals and even a throne. I could never get the sound I was wanting to get from it and the feel from the toms and snare just never felt good to me. Plus, I rarely ever played any of the cymbals because they sounded so "ear piercingly clangly" and loud. They were very unpleasant to hear. Due to the poor sonic attributes and poor feel of the whole kit, I found myself playing my practice pad more than the drum set. I often had opportunities to play on other drum sets from friends. They all were much, much higher end drum sets and cymbals than mine. I loved playing them! I felt like Neil Peart when I played them lol! I was able to be expressive in my playing and really able to open up and experiment more. When I played on them I didn't want to stop playing...it was so enjoyable. Now, was I suddenly a "better player" on my friends drums? No, I was the same player. However, due to a much more pleasing tone and feel from playing on much better gear, I was able to play more to my potential. I was able to finally truly enjoy what I was playing and because of that, had the opportunity to improve my abilities.

After a few moths of that I realized I wanted and needed better gear. I began saving for it and I've never looked back. I now have drums and cymbals that I am very pleased with and absolutely love to play. They're not all top of the line but they're what I want and they have the sound and feel I desire for the type of music styles I play. Over the years my sonic pallet has changed and thus my gear has changed with that. So I know I'll never quench GAS but I can say that what I have I'm very happy with...........for now :)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM

I've never had much GAS for drums. Until very recently, I only had a cheap kit with cheap cymbals. As I started playing more with my band and getting some gigs, I decided to buy a second kit for gigging and upgraded all my cymbals. And other than maintenance stuff (especially for my older kit), I don't really GAS for anything. I do like hand percussion as well; have a few and would like to buy a few more, but nothing fancy.

Now, synths, on the other hand... after 17 years of collecting, I've finally run out of GAS for them; or more specifically, I no longer have time to use them. I'm slowly cutting back but not much because I still hope that I'll go back to them after the kids grow up a bit.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Up until about two years ago I've only owned three drumsets.
Over the past 30 years I've owned only one drumset. I used two snare drums for those 30 years and never wanted any others. I had a Sonorlite and a Ludwig hammered bronze. I never thought another would be worth the difference of what those could do.

It was only after joining this forum that I started buying more, but I get less reward from GAS than I have negative thoughts about having too much shit.

A friend was telling me a story about someone he knew who suddenly died even though he was apparently in the best of health.
This friend was trying to convey the thought that we should cherish our time on this planet, but all the while I'm hearing "blah, blah, blah, you should clean out your damn basement so somebody else doesn't have to because you're dead and have too much stuff."

But certainly, some drums make me play better. I recently bought an SQ2 snare. 14x5 medium birch. It sounds great, but I can't yet figure out how to setup the heads so fast single stroke rolls will sound smooth compared to my other drums. There's something about the playability that isn't working for me.

Same with cymbals. The Big Apple ride I tested had a certain wobble that sucked up the stick bounce at different times and made for a terrible feel.

I'm with Pete in the idea that having different drums allows you to be divergently creative from your standard ingrained tropes, but for-sure clean out your damn basement.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I definitely subscribe to the notion that gear that ticks all the boxes has a positive impact on what I play.

Like my 12" tom on my walnut kit sounds so full and rich, that I now use it in places that I wouldn't before....It's because the solid shell walnut sound is so much better than my ply maple PDP's...to the point where the tom sound definitely adds to what I do. It's just so damn pleasing when the drum sound is KILLER! Which affects my mood for the better of course. Which comes out in my playing. I'm smiling more too. It feels so right.

Making the decision to gig Yolanda is the big reason I have no GAS anymore. When you have a world class set of drums at home....but you gig kinda cheap PDP's....there's a disconnect, which I finally realized doesn't sit right with me. I feel completely at home now at gigs. I mean I did before, but it was like living in an efficiency apartment. Now it's like I'm in a big 5 bedroom house, with a pool and lots of land...I can stretch out. It made that big of a difference. Now that I am way beyond being COMPLETELY satisfied with my gig kit....closer to ecstatic...I know now that the right thing to do is to use Yolanda....not allow her to atrophy in my basement. It's just wrong to buy a set like that and keep it locked away. It really is. It's almost a waste of money. I don't need a great kit to practice on. I do however need/want a great kit to gig on. Best decision I made recently, to use Yolanda. The payoff in personal satisfaction really can't be quantified.

Great sounding drums that have round, pure, perfectly tuned, unmuffled notes that sing out with nice sustain...affect what I play. The tone of the toms are just as vital as the notes I choose. When I do tom work, I rely on sustain and a note. That's what I'm hearing in my head. I love it, I want it, lots of it, and need it. If I play a kit with no sustain, like the typical done to death dead splat...my tom ideas...don't work at all IMO. So I use the toms as little as possible on a kit that sounds like that.

Now the PDP aren't bad drums. It's just that they cannot compare to a solid shell walnut drum, period. Different class, totally. It's like comparing an Impala to a Countach.

Amazing sounding gear (not necessarily high dollar gear) is the finishing touch that really puts it over the top for me. It's the sheen on top, and the creamy center.

Last edited by larryace; 04-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.