DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Need help and advice regarding a new student

Sunday between church services a young boy of a family I've known for quite sometime came up to me and said "Mr.Brian, I quit piano and I want to play drums, do you think you could help me practice" I said you want lessons he said yes. I said I'm sure we can work something out we'll have to talk to your parents. I enjoy teaching and have a few students however this one is going to present me with a new challenge I'm trying to figure out how to overcome. He has a growing disorder. (he is considered a little person) The challenge faced due to his smaller stature his legs will not reach the pedals on a drum kit with a traditional throne. If I am able to get something smaller in height to sit on there will be no way for him to reach the toms with the 22" BD I have for my students to use. Also I'm thinking he will need a smaller diameter snare than the traditional 14" as I'm not sure his legs will be able to straddle that size of a snare.

Was racking my brain on this yesterday and this morning. One thought was to try and rig up something I could attach to the pedal with velcro to hold it in place and attach the other end to his shoe, that would take a little time and engineering but I think it might be possible.

Looking for ideas and suggestions. Already know we are going to be looking for thinner diameter sticks and maybe ones that aren't quite as long, just trying to figure out how I can help him physically get to the pedals on the kit.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Need help and advice regarding a new student

Maybe this is a situation where you have a free consultation lesson with his parents present and ask them what you think would be appropriate? They might not be drummers but very often people have a very good idea of what they need to do in order to overcome these kinds of physical challenges. If the kid doesn't, the parents might.

This is a case where I think an electronic set might be a good thing in the long-term, however I think the first point of call would be the parents and the child.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

How little is he? Somebody who is 4'8" can play a bop set. Somebody 3'8" is possibly going to need to stick with an ekit.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

I've never subscribed to the smaller sticks thing with kids. I look at it like pencils. If they ask, I give them an SD-2 Bolero.

Kit size is an issue and that's why I always have a third smaller kit with the lowest throne I could find. This is of course stuff I buy with the school's money and is a little hard to justify for a handful of private students unless you already have some smaller sizes around. Just for this though, I'm sure there's some 18" BD or tom available somewhere for practically nothing.

I've done the weirdest things when lacking gear in the beginning. I've made hybrid kits, certainly revomed everything that's not needed, separate stands for toms, cut down the inner rods of hi-hats to get them low enough, lock it doen and put it on the other side, taken the chance to explain that setup is really a complete personal choice etc...

Now, many a great player has just had to deal with the situation, just barely reaching the BD pedal and so on. It's not ideal, but it's necessarliy the end of the world either. It is a bit about attitude too, and really, are kits at lessons exactly like home for any of us?

If you can't get it perfect you can at least explain the issue. That goes a long way.

Yes, a 12" snare already solves a lot of issues.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post

Looking for ideas and suggestions. Already know we are going to be looking for thinner diameter sticks and maybe ones that aren't quite as long, just trying to figure out how I can help him physically get to the pedals on the kit.
Also consider the snare stand. It's important that the basket is as low as possible.

You might also consider putting the snare on a RIMS mount with a cymbal stand, in order to get the legs of the stand out of the way.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

I would look into some closed cell foam blocks with straps that can extend his leg reach while keeping him "on top" of the kit. That should help while he gets an idea if he wants to pursue drums. If he does, I bet there's some custom orders and alterations in the future.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

The Pearl Rhythm Traveler POD would be a perfect solution with small 16 in kick and small 12 in snare and 8.10,12 in shallow concert toms which all on adjustable arms so can really be set low. You think the parents would want to contribute to such an investment for their son?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Maybe this is a situation where you have a free consultation lesson with his parents present and ask them what you think would be appropriate? They might not be drummers but very often people have a very good idea of what they need to do in order to overcome these kinds of physical challenges. If the kid doesn't, the parents might.

This is a case where I think an electronic set might be a good thing in the long-term, however I think the first point of call would be the parents and the child.

That's a good suggestion. In my head I'm thinking "I'm the drummer I need to figure this out." The reality of it is once I read your reply and got to thinking about it, they have way more experience with overcoming obstacles than I ever will. They are undoubtedly more aware of devices and product available to help overcome/assist in just about any situation.

Thanks for getting me out of my own head and giving me a fresh perspective to look at
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
How little is he? Somebody who is 4'8" can play a bop set. Somebody 3'8" is possibly going to need to stick with an ekit.
I'm not for sure on his height. I'm 6'3 and he comes up to about mid thigh, maybe just a bit higher. My guess would be 3'6 or so
Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I would look into some closed cell foam blocks with straps that can extend his leg reach while keeping him "on top" of the kit. That should help while he gets an idea if he wants to pursue drums. If he does, I bet there's some custom orders and alterations in the future.
That's an interesting idea. I had been mulling over pvc but the closed cell my work

IF he gets into it and enjoys it and mom and dad decide to proceed to a kit the sonor safari came to mind as one that might fit his need. That's putting the cart before the horse though. First thing is to get him in and start on just a snare to see if he even enjoys it.