DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:45 PM

Default Have you ever stopped playing / practicing?

Hey boys haven't posted in awhile, but thought I'd shoot this question out and see who else has done anything like this. I haven't really been shedding for the past year or so, pretty bad i know just don't have to desire to hit the shed. I still gig 2-5 times a week plus rehearsals and such but I've hit this point where i don't feel like practicing. I've talked to other musicians about this who say they go through periods of life with intense practice and then sometimes none at all, wanted to see what my fellow drummers think/experienced with this.

-PK
Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Have you ever stopped playing / practicing?

No set rule. When you're playing as much as you are plus rehearsing, you are progressing in other ways. It's understandable why you don't want to practice playing that much. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Balance is important.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. This last year.

It's pretty much all about dealing wih an abusive work situation.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Depends on what life is handing me at the time, but I do cut back playing now and then, and I'm taking life easy for a change. Stopping playing will never happen though, God willing.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Since I'm a teacher in real life, the spring semester tends to bogged down with all sorts of stuff at school - read: Standardized Testing - It wears me out. Then in addition to that, my kids keep me pretty busy with their activities - especially my daughter. She's in Track & Field and I spend a lot of time at her meets.

Things should calm down in the next couple of weeks and I can get back to playing on a more consistent basis.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Administrator

For a myriad of reasons I didn't play for 32 years. I guess you can call that stopping.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 04-13-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM

I don't even know how to practice anymore. All through junior high and high school I knew how to practice and analyze my playing, but in the ten years since graduating I've forgotten nearly all of it. I'm just lucky I sound great on the kit and with a band, because anytime I sit down with just a pad and metronome I'm horrified by how ungainly my playing is.

I need to get back into the swing of regular practice on the kit and on the pad because I know it will improve my playing overall. Fortunately my girlfriend is a percussion performance major and a music education major, so I have all the resources I need right at home.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

If you are gigging 2 to 5 times a week, and rehearsing, why beat yourself up for not practicing? I play/practice when I really have the desire to do it, so I enjoy it. If I was a pro and depended on drumming for my salary then I would have a different mindset. As I do it for enjoyment I never force myself to practice, for me it would be counter productive.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Like Gruntersdad I stopped playing for about 30 years. Life, wife, kids, health. To me it is not about whether you ebb and flow but that you never really quit. Easier for me to say now that I am back playing for almost 5 years now.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

I was in the military for twenty years, the last nine of which were post-9/11. I had several breaks from playing and really only did much progression when I reached more senior rank and got posted to an instructor slot at a service school. Since retiring I have been playing pretty constantly and I have progressed more in the last seven years than in the previous twenty.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'll be honest. I don't practice alone much at all. Sometimes I only play once per week at band practice. I'm more into playing with other people rather than practicing alone. I'm always worried about making too much noise at home.

But, I still get the auditions nailed. I just had one with some top notch players and they want me back. So, even though I don't woodshed a whole lot, the practice that I do get is productive. I would like to practice more on the set, but my living circumstances don't really allow for it. Good thing for talent and natural ability. Like Larry was saying in another thread, much of practice is mental, and I do think a lot about my parts. I go over stuff in my head.

To answer your question, I haven't really stopped playing for any great length of time.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I'll be honest. I don't practice alone much at all. Sometimes I only play once per week at band practice. I'm more into playing with other people rather than practicing alone. I'm always worried about making too much noise at home.

But, I still get the auditions nailed. I just had one with some top notch players and they want me back. So, even though I don't woodshed a whole lot, the practice that I do get is productive. I would like to practice more on the set, but my living circumstances don't really allow for it. Good thing for talent and natural ability. Like Larry was saying in another thread, much of practice is mental, and I do think a lot about my parts. I go over stuff in my head.

To answer your question, I haven't really stopped playing for any great length of time.
With you all the way on that. My motivation is in playing with others and when I practice hard its to learn new songs to play with a band.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
... Like Larry was saying in another thread, much of practice is mental, and I do think a lot about my parts. I go over stuff in my head. ...
The mental side of practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2O6...ature=youtu.be

At about 3:50, a study of 144 basketballers, one group physically practiced one handed free-throws, the other just mentally practiced them. After two weeks, for the intermediate and advanced subjects, the improvement was about the same in each group.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Practicing for me is really about learning parts and developing specific techniques, not just staying in shape. About 6 or 7 years ago, I got to a point where I was sufficiently busy between tours with 4+ bands in town, and kept my chops up simply by gigging. So unless I need to develop some specific skill or part, I don't practice anymore. I eventually removed the kit that was in my office, and there are no drums set up at the house anymore.

I had only stopped playing at one time in my life, for one year when I was 10. We had moved temporarily and for some reason I didn't take lessons that year. I was back in the saddle soon, and have been playing steadily ever since in school bands, with friends, in a few orchestras, and by age 20 I was in a full-time working band. :)

Bermuda
Old 04-14-2017, 02:19 AM

I did stop playing for a bit over 2.5 years, starting in early 2014. There were a series of weird things that happened, and I ended up having to leave my live band. My studio band was pretty much done recording at the time [and we're STILL mixing the orchestra].

But the giant one-ton gorilla [a rather fat, unhealthy Harambe] in the room that I could not overcome was a Labrum Tear on my right side that I had in late March 2014. It was rather painful for the first few months. During the first month, I could not lay down to sleep. Went on disability.

On top of the shoulder pain, there was numbness in my right hand. I really wasn't certain if I'd ever play again.

There was life change abound, and I ended up moving to a decent area in Ventura County, but there's almost nowhere to rehearse. There are definitely no lockouts. My apartment is upstairs, and it's over the river and through the woods just to get to the car.

But I had to do something, so I set up a home studio with Reaper. Got Addictive Drums and set up to control it with an AKAI MPD18. Started working on my finger drumming. Started taking guitar lessons. Anything to stay involved in music.

In November of 2016, I got a call from a comedian I know. He wanted me to be his rim-shot guy again for a comedy act we put together in 2009 for a charity event. I said I'd do it, and that got me going again.

Got a ground-level storage unit, where I can drive up and put the drums in the car easily. Found a place not far away that is hourly, so I get a few hours here and there.

Actually got some time in the rehearsal room today. Set up a used Gretsch that I got recently. New heads, tuned up, and played for a bit. Felt great.

It's good to be back. I didn't like having to stop, but made the best of it until the time was right to return.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

I've occasionally taken a week off here and there. But only when like on a vacation or something. I've never stopped for any other reason.

Except when I was a kid. I took a year off because I got a new band directer at school who I disliked. But picked it back up the following year when I started high school.
YouTube
Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

I can't practice. I moved to a crappy place where nobody plays music, there are no practice rooms, and there's one drum shop 35 minutes away with two practice rooms booked all the time that cost $18 a half hour anyway.

So I'm learning guitar :-P
Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

I don't really woodshed anymore. I don't care about having chops anymore. All I care about is playing good music with friends these days. There's no sense in working on major gospel chops if all I'm doing is train beats for an hour.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM

No, in the 46 years I played drums I never stop practicing and playing.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgOf6HAbQNc

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 04-14-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

I've only stopped for hospitalizations and surgeries on my arm. Other than that i try to maintain a decent practice schedule. some weeks i focus on keys or guitar more than drums but I tend to do a decent warm up on drums even on those days. Some weeks get hectic and there is no time to practice per se but those weeks also tend to work out to me playing more music just not on my own in a practice situation.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I had to stop for almost 20 years when I was almost 25 YO, to learn how to make money after I realized it wasn't happening playing music. I wanted to be able to live in a house someday where I could practice without bothering anyone. Looking back it was the right move for me.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:40 PM

Kind of depends on how you think of it with me. I practiced/played constantly through high school, because I was in drum corps. But when I went to college, I didn't have time, so I stopped. Then graduate school, career, marriage, kids, etc. Basically, I didn't play again until about 10 years ago, when my son requested a drum set for his birthday. He didn't play it all the much--but I did. I've been playing/practicing pretty consistently ever since.

However, I take a break every summer due to work. I spend about a month in Japan each summer and I rarely get much time to practice. I do play at jam sessions when I can and I bring along a practice pad, but time is so limited that I can't do what I want.

I think that taking time off can be beneficial. After a month or so without playing, I need to do some work on chops, but I find that my ideas are refreshed.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

With that many gigs and rehearsals, just preparing for them should be enough. A warm-up routine that pushes you a bit could feed the improvement need nicely if you want more. Like say 10 minutes on the pad doing whatever rudimental nightmare you're into these days, and ten minutes selecting a random page out of Rod Morgenstein's drumset warm-up book will give you plenty to keep some growth on the menu.

When in weddings mode, I'll usually lay off during the winter and learn something new. But one winter I didn't do squat due to life happening, and just used gigs at the beginning of the season to play my way back into shape. It worked fine.

Last edited by Spreggy; 04-14-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:36 PM

I've stopped playing for a few extended stretches a couple times over the years. If i'm not playing in a band i start to lose interest in playing by myself and eventually i just stop playing. I've been back playing now for a year and a half after taking a few years off. I still don't practice much outside of playing with the band unless i have something i really need to learn. I know how much i could benefit from daily practice or even some lessons again, but with a extremely busy job, a wife and a couple young kids its tough to make time.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Listening to great music can do as much, if not more, for your playing than actual physical practice at the set (assuming you still play regularly).
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 PM

I stopped for a week after I badly broke and dislocated my wrist resulting in an arm in cast (done installing a sound booth in my house!). However I was soon back practicing, just restricted to two feet and one arm for a good 3 months. I've a great teacher who worked with me to keep the practice attainable and enjoyable, despite my restrictions.
If it weren't for the day job, neighbours and the OH, I'd do as many hours as I could, but I'm restricted to 10-15 hours a week.
However, I'm only in year 3 of my journey, so my addiction is high! I also don't yet play in a band, so practice is everything for me. Plans are afoot however!
Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 PM

yes, for various reasons, and for some years. sometimes a break is good, in the long run. it was becoming drudgery at one point. after time off, my practicing is much more productive, and i do believe my playing is better than it would have been stuck in that rut...
Old 04-16-2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the replies yall. Good to hear other drummer's perspectives on it!