DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Default What Did You Do to Make Do?

That's the only way I could word the subject. To state it better, in the time leading up to when you bought your first drum set, what things did you do/use when practicing?

The first year two years, I learned only snare. Therefore, I had a practice pad on top of a stool. Once I "graduated" to snare, bass, and high hat, I still had the pad, only I used the "top" part as the "hi-hat," the "bottom" part as snare, and just tapped my foot for bass drum.

Though I now have my own drum set, a classic 70s Pearl, I can't set it up until we move, which should be in a few weeks. Now that I have a stand for the snare and the snare, I use that as well as the pad. Because my bass drum pedal is a little wobbly by itself, I put a heating pad under it, without turning the heat on LOL. And I have the hi-hat, as well.

In anticipation of moving, I now have the rest of my set out of storage. Therefore, when I practice now, I get the bass drum out, place the pedal on it, and use the hi-hat and snare.

Currently working on fills, making my own drum patterns. In time, I will incorporate the toms.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What Did You Do to Make Do?

As a young child I played on buckets and pails, using knitting needles at the start, then progressing to actual real drumsticks later. From there, mom and dad bought me my first drum, a blue sparkle snare drum with cymbal out of the Sears Catalogue.

When my talent surpassed the simple snare drum and cymbal, mom and dad pulled through once again for me and gifted me with a 4 piece Maxwin kit. I hit the big times! Pearl white in colour, with one cymbal and a set of hi-hats.

After that I was on my own and the rest is history as they say.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

As an 11 year old there was no such thing as practice pads. I used my mums thickest knitting needles, and pot and pans for drums. My little brother had a plastic potty that made a great snare sound when turned upside down. Played along to all the 60s hits for 2 years like that. My dad was a carpenter and made me a pair of sticks, so that was an upgrade. I played on the furniture and on my knees.

The first time I played on a real drum was in a Newcastle music shop, aged 15. My mate was a good keys player and was playing a Hammond in the shop, I jumped on a kit that was set up and just started playing. I stumbled over the hi-hat and BD for a while but soon got the hang. We played for about an hour and drew a crowd. The manager was so cool with it he turned on a floor spot to lend some atmosphere. We were playing Serenade to a Cuckoo, its a performance I will never forget.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Started on paint cans when my parents were redoing our kitchen. Used to sneak in and bang on a snare drum at school waiting for my trumpet lessons (that is another story altogether-"dad I want to play DRUMS!!! Son, I am not having drums in this house.You can play trumpet or saxophone...")

Parents divorced, kid down the street sold me an MIJ 20" bass drum with no heads, a 12" MIJ tom with one head, and a Gretsch snare drum that was in pretty good shape. Also, a Ludwig snare stand, Ludwig Standard foot pedal, and a Ludwig Standard hi-hat stand. May have been some really crappy cracked "hi hat cymbals" but it's a little foggy at this point. $30 out the door in 1978 lol.

But, to answer the question, I used an old pretzel tin as a bass drum "head". Put the shell up against the wall and banged away...
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

In school (elementary) we had a music program, no drum kit though, so I remember using recorder flutes as drumsticks and letting loose on the bongos! If it looked like a drum, sounded like a drum, and could be played like a drum, I was all over it.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I got myself a throne and a pad.

Soon after I got myself a double pedal and a pad for that.

I did have access to a drumset at the schol I worked at on weekends and late evenings if the room was available.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

As a kid, it was Tupperware. We had a big salad bowl with a lid on which I played bass drum parts (with a pencil in my right hand) and another shallow container that way my "snare" (I filled it with legos to simulate a snare sound).

I also had two friends whose parents could afford to buy them drums so I would hang out at their houses a lot. Hmmm...wonder if they realized I was more interested in their drums than I was in hanging out with them? ;-)

Last edited by spleeeeen; 04-14-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Yep. I used to get old butter tubs, coffee cans, bowls, etc.

I vividly remember "rocking out" to black sabbath's paranoid album following along with my overturned butter tubs and using un-sharpened pencils as sticks. My 12 year old shirtless bad-ass self.

Even once we got our hands on a seriously beat up barely held together with improvised "stands" Sunlite kit, we always had to make our own drumsticks as we were kids with no monetary means of buying real ones! Actually got really creative with things like skewers and wood dowels that we found in various home garages.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

I was in band and already doing a few other instruments when i got into drums, so at the beginning I had a basic drumset at school to play on if I wanted. Then I went halvsies into an old used drumset with my stepdad. But that drumset was basically a three-piece with no floor tom, and the snare drum that originally came with the set had lost its bottom head and rim and been detuned to be a "floor tom".

I bought two cymbals by mail order (pre-internet days), but with the typical ignorance of the novice drummer, bought cymbal boom holders instead of cymbal stands - basically I only had the tops of the stands. I stuck them in guitar stand bases until I earned enough money to rectify my mistake.

Of course, when i got my next drumset, I stuck both of them together in a big Frankenstein double bass kit. I had a trio of roto-toms on the track. I obtained a length of threaded rod and some big hex nuts, and fashioned a cymbal holder that slid into the track and tightened down. making do when your nearest drum shop is thirty miles away and you're a poor kid in high school without a job...
Old 04-13-2017, 02:49 AM

I was always drumming on something when I was growing up---pots and pans, Tupperware, cookie tins, you name it!---in elementary school---pencils on the desk---at home---knitting needles on everything! My parents took the logical next step and bought me a guitar! I didn't get my first drumset until I was 45. I don't regret learning guitar instead of drums, and I am enjoying the learning process---I guess it was inevitable!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

The thread is making do. I am sorry but a pad, sticks and a double pedal is not making do, nor is "A basic kit" You had it easy, you never had to make do.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Going back to the beginning my first drumsticks were the rotor blades from an Action Man (GI Joe) helicopter and the Tupperware boxes/ice cream cartons that I used to keep my Action Man outfits in.
The next drumsticks were 2 thick "dowel" rods that were used to hang trousers over in an old fashioned wardrobe, the drums were pillows.
I was able to use a drum kit that was stored at a local youth club that comprised of a matte yellow bass drum snare and floor Tom and a grey oyster mounted Tom. The snare wires were barely working and the batter head was about 30% crater. The bass drum and toms were OK if I recall correctly, but I had to place the mounted Tom on a plastic chair as there was no mounting hardware, I think I ended up doing something similiar with the snare drum over time, the bass pedal broke and I ended up mounting the bass drum on two plastic chairs and using it as a large floor Tom. Hi hat cymbals were of the Krut brand and there was one cymbal that I crashed and rode. I don't recall the presence of a drum key.
Looking back it was ridiculous, the snare drum skin alone was so old and stretched that it seemed to have turned into a kind of old hard plastic. However, I "made do" and laid down some very reasonable drum beats on that motley array of Frankenkit which I feel now gives me the right to shake my head and tut when I hear of youngsters grumbling about how their current multi-hundred pound equipment isn't good enough ;-)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 AM
JohnoWorld

Lego boxes, tupperware, broke my sisters twirling stick to use as sticks.

All up until 15 when I finally persuaded me folks to get me a kit.

It was a gold Maxwin, with the deadest heads ever, but it did the job. Had some Zyn cymbals which were grey and so looked and sounded like dustbin lids.

A couple of years later, I got a Mapex Mars for £79. Lugs were missing and I went to london with me old dear on the train to pick it up. Stuck it in the guards van of the train and brought it back up.

So I "made do" with the cheapest kits money could buy. I never got 1 drum and thought about progressing from there as I wanted to play the drums, not A drum
Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
Lego boxes, tupperware, broke my sisters twirling stick to use as sticks.

All up until 15 when I finally persuaded me folks to get me a kit.

It was a gold Maxwin, with the deadest heads ever, but it did the job. Had some Zyn cymbals which were grey and so looked and sounded like dustbin lids.

A couple of years later, I got a Mapex Mars for £79. Lugs were missing and I went to london with me old dear on the train to pick it up. Stuck it in the guards van of the train and brought it back up.

So I "made do" with the cheapest kits money could buy. I never got 1 drum and thought about progressing from there as I wanted to play the drums, not A drum
No, you made do with Leggo boxes, Tupperware and your sisters twirling sticks. That's what got the inner drummer drumming.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM

I was rather fortunate, no need here for pots & pans, as I found a Star kit (Tama) with Ludwig Speed King, Ludwig stands and A Ziljdians for the modest price of $40. It was back in 1975, but it was a steal nonetheless!
Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
No, you made do with Leggo boxes, Tupperware and your sisters twirling sticks. That's what got the inner drummer drumming.
But I also "made do" with cheap crap gear for many many years after that
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
Hey, right on, another fellow Maxwin player! The cymbals that came with my Maxwin kit looked normal (colour wise), but like yours, sounded like garbage can lids. :)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

As a pre-schooler I used pots and pans. One of my favorite memories was using lids to pans as marching cymbals and marching around the house to Sousa marches with my Dad. But i was lucky that my parents bought me a snare drum when I was 5 and started lessons.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
As a pre-schooler I used pots and pans. One of my favorite memories was using lids to pans as marching cymbals and marching around the house to Sousa marches with my Dad. But i was lucky that my parents bought me a snare drum when I was 5 and started lessons.
Was your snare drum a sparkle drum like mine was, DR? :)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

A basketball tucked between my knees was my first "drum." Spent a lot of hours practicing rudiments on that.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Well my eldest brother (7 years older than I )would hit my middle brother (5 years older than I) who would then hit me so I then would hit my little sister (2 years younger)-it was like dominoes. So rather than hit my sister my parents gave me a punching bag (it was a clown) and pots and pans to beat on LOL. Dad bought me a blue sparkle Ludwig in 1963 when I was 8-yeah to be so lucky-don't hate me. Still have the 24 in Zildjian cymbal that came with it. First band "The Three Flames and A Spark"-remember playing "Wipe out" till I thought my arms would fall off-people couldn't get enough of it. We became popular locally fast (course I was 8 and adorable) but my Mom put the kibosh on it cause I was staying out too late-my eldest brother took over as their drummer and they changed their name to the Rogues or something-should have been Screw U. Finally got my drums back about 6 years later and played in garage bands through high school. Then lost interest except sporadically through college (I'd jam but couldn't keep up with a band, studies, and social life) but later in life my wife surprised me with a kit about 23 years ago-a Pearl Forum. It's been an incredible journey and I suck at drums, probably getting worse than better, but I'd like to keep sucking at drums as long as I can cause I just enjoy playing. I've earned to right to suck-taken me years of practice to master it. Moral of story-Sometimes you choke on that silver spoon. LOL.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Well my eldest brother (7 years older than I )would hit my middle brother (5 years older than I) who would then hit me so I then would hit my little sister (2 years younger)-it was like dominoes. So rather than hit my sister my parents gave me a punching bag (it was a clown) and pots and pans to beat on LOL. Dad bought me a blue sparkle Ludwig in 1963 when I was 8-yeah to be so lucky-don't hate me. Still have the 24 in Zildjian cymbal that came with it. First band "The Three Flames and A Spark"-remember playing "Wipe out" till I thought my arms would fall off-people couldn't get enough of it. We became popular locally fast (course I was 8 and adorable) but my Mom put the kibosh on it cause I was staying out too late-my eldest brother took over as their drummer and they changed their name to the Rogues or something-should have been Screw U. Finally got my drums back about 6 years later and played in garage bands through high school. Then lost interest except sporadically through college (I'd jam but couldn't keep up with a band, studies, and social life) but later in life my wife surprised me with a kit about 23 years ago-a Pearl Forum. It's been an incredible journey and I suck at drums, probably getting worse than better, but I'd like to keep sucking at drums as long as I can cause I just enjoy playing. I've earned to right to suck-taken me years of practice to master it. Moral of story-Sometimes you choke on that silver spoon. LOL.
Always enjoy your light-side, GA! :)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 PM

12? 13? Pillows around my bed being hit with my Mom's wooden cook spoons. Even tied some string through the cheap throw away pie plates, hung from the ceiling with tape.

I rocked!!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 PM

Yup, pillows, and the side of the bed. Headphones in jamming away pretending I was Brad Wilk rockin the hell outta that 4-piece!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts. There's a really embarrassing pic of me paying the bongos while wearing a white nehru shirt with a fake gold medallion. I was 9 and I don't know if I asked for the shirt or not. Either way it was a bad decision lol.

One time my bongo heads got real loose and flappy so I got my dad to help me. He wet the heads and dryed them over the cooktop flame. He told me to go in the other room because he didn't want me copying him doing that and setting his house on fire. I spied on him he he.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts.
Everything was sparkle back then! Drums, dune-buggies, fibreglass rides at the fair, bicycle seats, motorcycle helmets. :)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

lol Yes I had a silver sparkle star set as my first kit in about 1965!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Was your snare drum a sparkle drum like mine was, DR? :)
Of course! With a snare release that constantly came undone!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts. There's a really embarrassing pic of me paying the bongos while wearing a white nehru shirt with a fake gold medallion. I was 9 and I don't know if I asked for the shirt or not. Either way it was a bad decision lol.

One time my bongo heads got real loose and flappy so I got my dad to help me. He wet the heads and dryed them over the cooktop flame. He told me to go in the other room because he didn't want me copying him doing that and setting his house on fire. I spied on him he he.
Since we are about the same age we were probably rockin the Nehru thing at the same time. I had a brown Nehru jacket! I think it was just the stylish thing to wear at the time. In fact I wore it for a school picture one year!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Of course! With a snare release that constantly came undone!
Roaring with laughter! Good times, DR. :)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
lol Yes I had a silver sparkle star set as my first kit in about 1965!
Much of my sparkle hate that I harvest today stems back to those earlier years. :)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Since we are about the same age we were probably rockin the Nehru thing at the same time. I had a brown Nehru jacket! I think it was just the stylish thing to wear at the time. In fact I wore it for a school picture one year!
Yea, IDK, 9 YO boys in 1968 didn't need to be stylish lol. Nehru shirts, bell bottom jeans, maltese crosses, medallions, and I shudder to think of this, but remember sashes? OMG how fruity. I truly have some embarrassing pics of bad clothing choices....pretty much my whole life lol.

Post your pics and I'll see if I can find mine lol.

Public airing of shameful pics...yea, let's do that!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
And here it is! oh my! Included a classmate to show the year.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Much of my sparkle hate that I harvest today stems back to those earlier years. :)
It's funny because I bought new drums about two years ago and CHOSE a silver/black sparkle for nostalgic reasons because of that first damn Star set!

Looks like some purple in this pic but not purple!
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

You know, DR, I actually LIKE that silver/black sparkle colour! It doesn't look retro at all, not that I have anything against retro, just that some of that old blue and red sparkle damaged me. :)

Nice kit! Thanks for the pic!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:27 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
And here it is! oh my! Included a classmate to show the year.
Brave man. You look fairly normal! I have to go through my albums. I have a pic where I wear a burnt orange and blackish paisley shirt with a shiny powder blue turtleneck underneath. Orange and blue baby, that's what I was rocking! This was my 4th grade school pic.

Thanks Mom for letting me walk out the door on picture day wearing THAT!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Nehru jacket, burnt orange and blackish paisley shirt with a shiny powder blue turtleneck under, you guys have nothing on me. :)

I have a picture of me playing that blue sparkle drum and cymbal wearing a funky blue polyester, long-sleeved shirt with an array of geometric patterns all over it. I'll need some time to go through a bunch of old photo albums to find it, and when I do I'll work on posting it!

You guys are in for a treat!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

"Yea, IDK, 9 YO boys in 1968 didn't need to be stylish lol."

I wish someone would have told my mom that! I made up for it in high school. I mostly wore demin jackets or army surplus shirts. Think early Eagles!

Thanks Stroker. I like them a lot too and they play well with stage lights.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks Stroker. I like them a lot too and they play well with stage lights.
I'll bet they do! It's a rich looking finish! Very well done.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 PM

A whole lot of air drumming.....seriously....