DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Default Legs lock up or get more tired when going on longer double bass runs?

I've noticed that for me, my legs get more tired the lower I sit for my double bass runs that are about 4 measures long, and if I go for long enough, my right hip locks up and starts to hurt, with an ached type of pain. The problem goes away with me sitting up higher. This problem occurs when I sit with my legs at an 105 degree ish angle or lower. I've seen many drummers who sit a tiny bit above 90 degrees and they do fine. What's going on? Does this happen to you at all too?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Legs lock up or get more tired when going on longer double bass runs?

anyone have any input on this issue?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Legs lock up or get more tired when going on longer double bass runs?

I started sitting a little higher to be more comfortable with this kind of thing too.
I'm just about 90 degrees with my legs. Not much, just a little.

Also, work on the parts or patterns as really slow speeds for a while. Condition your legs on the parts and you will be able to hold things down at the proper tempo.
YouTube
Old 04-10-2017, 05:31 PM

It's normal to be exhausted, but pain is a big no no. One of the problems of sitting to high is that it might lead to back pain. Still, everybody is different. Do what is confortable for you.
It would also be a good idea to look at your technique, if you are tense or making inefficient movements it might lead to pain too.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

For exercises long and slow is the way to go for feet also. It's still about endurance and being patient with speed development.

Simply seeing the angle of someone's upper leg isn't always saying much. Length of one's feet and how that relates to the angle of the kneejoint is quite a huge factor. That's also one of the reasons the universal placing of tom mounts might not be the ultimate for everyone.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Sit so that your hips are a little higher than your knees. This will make your drumming easier and save your back. According to many resources sitting with your hips higher you lessen stress and fatigue and not just for drumming.