DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Default SKF Blog Audio: Michael Shrieve - The Making of Santana's 'Promise of a Fisherman'

SKF Blog Audio: Michael Shrieve - The Making of Santana's 'Promise of a Fisherman' (1983)

Listen to the Michael Shrieve Audio

SKF NOTE: I found this phone conversation tonight while digitizing interview audiocassettes. The voices are Scott K Fish and Michael Shrieve. This is no doubt me, as Modern Drummer managing editor, asking Michael an MD reader's question for the "Ask a Pro" column.

Michael has excellent recall of the Gretsch drum and Paiste cymbal setup he used nine years earlier on Santana's "Borboletta" album.

Listen to 'Promise of a Fisherman'

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Last edited by Scott K Fish; 04-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: SKF Blog Audio: Michael Shrieve - The Making of Santana's 'Promise of a Fisherman'

OH man I love Michael Shrieve, probably *THE* underrated drummer of the classic rock era. Dude was 20 at Woodstock and he freaking nailed the Soul Sacrifice solo like he did. He's a major inspiration to me.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:07 AM

Default Re: SKF Blog Audio: Michael Shrieve - The Making of Santana's 'Promise of a Fisherman'

That was fantastic, thank you Scott. I love Santana, but I definitely lose interest after Shrieve parted ways. His work with Spellbinder is very interesting too. I'm in the early stages of delving into Latin music, and he his playing has gone a long ways for me getting a unique (and creative) approach to some of the styles.

Hitting the road here in the next year or so with my band. Have my heart set on tracking him down and attempting to either get a lesson or buy him a beer at the very least.