DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:41 AM

Default Re: I need help making snare line in HS

This is a very interesting thread, particularly since I marched in a DCI corps in the late 70's, when we were still using mylar. I was not a snare drummer, however. I was a mallet player--back when we carried them around. If you want to talk about injury while playing a marching instrument, try falling down with a keyboard strapped to your front.

I don't have an opinion on the kevlar or mylar, but I do remember that by the late 1970's, as one of the comments here noted, we were cranking the heads on the snares pretty tight. The reason for this, if I remember right, had less to do with the sound, per se, than it had to do with judging. In those days, we were marked 1/10 of a point off (a tic) for each mistake. High tuning leads to a crisp sound in which the judges can clearly identify mistakes, but also if the drum line is really tight in terms of execution it sounds really tight. Low tuning either makes it sound like you're trying to cover something up or makes the snare line sound mushy. We often commented on lines with snares tuned low that they sounded like they were playing trash cans. The high tuning, basically, was a way to show off the high level of execution. I still remember a show in which our drum line (not just snares) only gave up 6/10 for the entire performance. With low tuning, I'm not sure that would have happened, because the judges would have heard a less clear articulation from the drum line.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
Ooo I like this comparison.

I'd have to say, honestly, the 87 probably had the best tone. It wasn't cranked super tight (have to agree the 11 is a bit tinny), so there was still oomph to the snare sound, but at the same time the tightness of the playing is more apparent, its less dirty sounding to me.
The kevlar actually improved the sound of those Premier snares-- they were pretty weak sounding drums. Those first kevlar heads just made them a little higher, drier, and brighter. I don't know what they do to the current heads to make them sound so weak and unmusical.

The sound on the '78 recording isn't great, but you can hear the quality of the rim shots-- they're like Led Zeppelin. For me corps snare sounds peaked in '82-- with Ludwig drums and silver dot heads, cranked about as high as they would go-- after that Ludwigs started falling out of favor, and people started using PowerStrokes, which I never liked.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

Kind of a side note, but I think my high school band director is on tenors in the 87 video (Bret Cappelutti, he would be one of the short guys on the end if I got my year right).

EDIT: Checked out that Blue Devils 82 video. Yeah that's pretty good tone actually. The snare wires come through pretty heavy, which is strange to hear from a Corps snare, hahaha.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
The snare wires come through pretty heavy, which is strange to hear from a Corps snare, hahaha.
Exactly. That's one of the worst things about Kevlar--you don't even know if the snares are on or not. It's just tick, tick, ticky-tacky, nothing but contact noise. That's not a snare drum. You might as well just take the whole strainer off and save a little weight. LOL
Old 04-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
In case you haven't been following this discussion, this statement is dripping in sarcasm.

I'm pro marching band, and I have no issues with kevlar.

My apologies then. I did not catch the sarcasm.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
This is a very interesting thread, particularly since I marched in a DCI corps in the late 70's, when we were still using mylar. I was not a snare drummer, however. I was a mallet player--back when we carried them around. If you want to talk about injury while playing a marching instrument, try falling down with a keyboard strapped to your front.

I don't have an opinion on the kevlar or mylar, but I do remember that by the late 1970's, as one of the comments here noted, we were cranking the heads on the snares pretty tight. The reason for this, if I remember right, had less to do with the sound, per se, than it had to do with judging. In those days, we were marked 1/10 of a point off (a tic) for each mistake. High tuning leads to a crisp sound in which the judges can clearly identify mistakes, but also if the drum line is really tight in terms of execution it sounds really tight. Low tuning either makes it sound like you're trying to cover something up or makes the snare line sound mushy. We often commented on lines with snares tuned low that they sounded like they were playing trash cans. The high tuning, basically, was a way to show off the high level of execution. I still remember a show in which our drum line (not just snares) only gave up 6/10 for the entire performance. With low tuning, I'm not sure that would have happened, because the judges would have heard a less clear articulation from the drum line.
I've actually heard it the other way around.

Remo and Premier made snares that were using snares on both the bottom and top heads that were too sensitive and every mistake was amplified,so most corps never bothered to use them.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Kind of a side note, but I think my high school band director is on tenors in the 87 video (Bret Cappelutti, he would be one of the short guys on the end if I got my year right).
Oh, Bret was also in there in '86, when I was with SCV, in the pit. If you ever see him ask him what cazh master means.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
I've actually heard it the other way around.

Remo and Premier made snares that were using snares on both the bottom and top heads that were too sensitive and every mistake was amplified,so most corps never bothered to use them.
I never saw a snare like that.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I never saw a snare like that.
Remo Legato and Premier Pipe and Drum snares could be ordered with the dual snares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeEFceWu0w
Old 04-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Remo Legato and Premier Pipe and Drum snares could be ordered with the dual snares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeEFceWu0w
I'm not disagreeing, just noted that in my years in drum corps, I never saw a snare like that. The corps I was in played Slingerland and Rogers at various times. Nothing like this as far as I know. But I was done in the late 70s. Pipe and Drum snares, thought, would be different from what DCI corps used.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing, just noted that in my years in drum corps, I never saw a snare like that. The corps I was in played Slingerland and Rogers at various times. Nothing like this as far as I know. But I was done in the late 70s. Pipe and Drum snares, thought, would be different from what DCI corps used.
I pretty sure I saw the Sacramento Freelancers use the dual snare Remo Legato in competition back in the late 80's.

Back in my corps days we played Ludwig SS or Slingerland TDR.
\
Go to 2:40 in the vid and you will see the snare line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csiekjct3HA
Old 04-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I pretty sure I saw the Sacramento Freelancers use the dual snare Remo Legato in competition back in the late 80's.

Back in my corps days we played Ludwig SS or Slingerland TDR.
About ten years after I was done with drum corps. I have to admit that I didn't pay attention to what other corps were using, just the corps I was in, which was the 27th Lancers. And since I was a mallet player, I'm probably not the best source of information. But I do remember many discussions of "cranking" the snares and that this seemed to be tied up with the judging. The high tuning increases exposure.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
About ten years after I was done with drum corps. I have to admit that I didn't pay attention to what other corps were using, just the corps I was in, which was the 27th Lancers. And since I was a mallet player, I'm probably not the best source of information. But I do remember many discussions of "cranking" the snares and that this seemed to be tied up with the judging. The high tuning increases exposure.
Loved the 27th Lancers.
First corp record I ever owned was when you guys were champs in 71.
What a horn line!

I played with Finleyville Royal Crusaders in 75 ,you guys took 5th at DCI and we took 7th.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Loved the 27th Lancers.
First corp record I ever owned was when you guys were champs in 71.
What a horn line!

I played with Finleyville Royal Crusaders in 75 ,you guys took 5th at DCI and we took 7th.
Do you remember Mike Kumer? I liked the Royal Crusaders a lot. I was with 27th in '78.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Do you remember Mike Kumer? I liked the Royal Crusaders a lot. I was with 27th in '78.
Sure,he was our drumline instructor.
The one thing I remember about him was one of the kids in the cymbal line called him by his last name and he got PO'd.
It was Mike or MR. Kumer.

Too bad marching is so expensive these days.
And the ringers for hire have ruined the local participation aspect.

I remember hearing that Star of Indiana basically recruited the WVU percussion ensemble for its pit.
Morgantown ain't in Indiana.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Sure,he was our drumline instructor.
The one thing I remember about him was one of the kids in the cymbal line called him by his last name and he got PO'd.
It was Mike or MR. Kumer.

Too bad marching is so expensive these days.
And the ringers for hire have ruined the local participation aspect.

I remember hearing that Star of Indiana basically recruited the WVU percussion ensemble for its pit.
Morgantown ain't in Indiana.
I figured you would. He was our drumline instructor in 1978. Drum corps has changed a lot. I started in a small, local corps before moving to 27th. Didn't know that about Star of Indiana.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I figured you would. He was our drumline instructor in 1978. Drum corps has changed a lot. I started in a small, local corps before moving to 27th. Didn't know that about Star of Indiana.
I got accepted to WVU music school and had some friends that went there.

The guy that bankrolled(some rich biotech dude) Indiana basically paid their way to march with Star.
Money does buy championships.