DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: After 33 years......I appreciate 1 Up 1 Down

I can't decide which I like better. 1 up & 1 down, or 2 up & 1 down. I have 2 of each. I think I play better on a 2 up & 1 down, but I just like playing 1 up & 1 down because I feel more industrious and creative in a way. I think 1 up & 1 down looks cooler too, especially if it's a virgin kick. I'm too fat for a 2 down kit. Haha!

Even when I do have a 2 up & 1 down kit, I find myself being lazy and just using the 2 up toms most of the time. So it may as well be a 4 piece kit.

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 04-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Rashidi View Post

Personally, I think the 1 up 1 down is a hipster fad. You may as well get a cafe kit. I want my drums to look like they mean business. Weckl, Gavin Harrison, and forum favorite Schizo Jim Gordon don't look like they have any problem getting to their ride. Well....maybe Gordon does, now that he's in the joint. ;-)
Please, that's nonsense. Let's not insult other people preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
True, it's not the toms. But the ride-cymbal needs some extra space with a 2 up 1 down setup if you place it over the floortom. Space that you sometimes don't have on the right side of the stage. Sad but true.
Absolutely right. If you have to set up close to a wall or railing on the right you can have an extra tom or a ride but not both. Obviously the ride wins every time.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
Please, that's nonsense. Let's not insult other people preferences.
If you look closely, there's a little winking smiley face at the end of my post. Some of my favorite drummers ( Roy Burns, Buddy Rich, Andy Newmark etc. etc. ) play one up one down, but it's not for everybody. Also, just because I think it might be somewhat of a fad, that doesn't make it a bad thing.

Wave, all those guys you mentioned are the ORIGINAL hipsters !! ;-)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

I thought the winky was only in reference to Jim Gordon. Anyway, no biggie.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I see. I have always have two mounted toms and never had a problem reaching them, I find the gap between one mounted tom and the floor tom too big. Everything is a compromise, re setup but I could not do without my two mounted toms, I love the variation in notes between them and the floor. For me three toms is stripped down to the essentials.
I agree with this completely.
When I practice with the band it's one up one down, only because I'm using a silly bop kit because we're in a very crowded attic space and the other people don't give a hoot about drums.

when I play out, I use a small one up one down because the kit was cheap and I offer my drums up for use by the other bands.

If I'm recording or doing a nice gig, which is rare, I use two up one down because when I use one up one down it's not musical enough for me.

When I have to recreate the parts I did on a recording with two up and I have only one up, I have to simplify it and it sounds very basic and dull to me.
I suppose people don't notice such things, but I do.
I'm sort of sucking it up for the team with only one up.

But back to River19's original thought; I had the same sort of mini-epiphany about 1 up 1 down. I was sorting my drum room and only had 1 up 1down for a few months and it was very transformational, as I was also only a five piece player before.

It's strange getting older. I'm getting lazier. I'll play a four piece only because I don't want to bother setting up another tom.

I bring my bass drum pedal to band practice and sometimes I forget it in the car. I've often not bothered to go get my pedal and practiced for hours without using the kick.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 AM
Ghostnote

Back when I was gigging all the time, I used to play rock gigs with a little 10,14,20 Yamaha kit and one of the comments I would hear quite often after gigs was, "Boy, you sure made that kit sound a lot bigger than it is." You don't need a lot of drums to sound cool and interesting. There's nothing wrong with having more, you just don't NEED more. Using less forces you to get the most out of what you have and that engages me.

I hate having to reach up to play my ride too. Is it something I could get used to? Sure, but I just don't want to. I'm all about setting things up so I'm totally comfortable, don't have to reach for anything, and it taking a minimum of movement and effort to play. I'm a heavy hitter too, so that sounds counterintuitive, but after you've been playing for a long time, you kinda figure it out how to do both.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 AM

i bean playing 4 piece my whole life. we (us) play an acoustic instrument, which means we can get an infinite variety of sounds, from each drum. i did a "one and done" session as a ringer one time, a funque song with a drum solo in it, and i was going to be winging it. no charts, never heard the song. i did hear that this engineer had a thing against small kits (weird, i know), so i showed with a two piece. that's right, a kick, a snare, a hi-hat, and a thin ride (which would double nicely as a crash). the engineer was not amused. pissed is the word i would use to describe his demeanor. "you DO realize this song has a SOLO in it?!?" when we were done, he was a believer...
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

I ALWAYS play with four drums and four cymbals, which I call a 4x4. I have been doing so for over twenty years. Peace and goodwill.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 AM

When I posted the thread I didn't mean that 1 up 1 down was the be all end all.....for me personally I was someone who swore I would never play "only" a 4 piece kit and stuck with that for a long time.

For me I think it was just a personal realization that the 1U1D certainly has a place in my bag of setup options, much much more so than I would have ever thought previously.

I certainly like the idea of having the ability to "flex" the setup to whatever works and that comment earlier in the thread about buying a 5-7piece kit to allow for almost any setup is a good point.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Been a four piece guy for loooong time now. A few of the reasons why:

- Ride cymbal placement; much more comfortable for me, especially on those long 4 hr 50 song gigs

- I enjoy voicing fills originally played on bigger kits between the 2 toms, snare, and kick (the bass player in my band told me he never played with another drummer who uses the bass drum like I do; I took that as a huge compliment, he's a great player)

- Ergonomics; everything is right there for me. I tried the 1 up 2 floor setup a few years back, hated the twist to get to the second floor. Not ideal for me.

- Always appreciated great drummers that played the hell out of smaller kits; even as a teenager starting out in the 80's I just never dug the big double bass with toms and cymbals everywhere kits.

Throughout my points I mentioned several times how the good ol' 4 piece is the right kit for me. There are no rules, play what makes you happy. And for the record, I've been doing the 4 piece thing since way before this hipster stuff started! ��
A bunch of different sticks
Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

I did the large kit back in the 70's until mid 80's as it was pretty standard. I have used a four piece kit as my main configuration until recently. I love a four piece kit. The ride cymbal in close, it encourages you to be more creative with your fills. I have recently purchased some add on toms for my Noble and Cooley kit and it has been a lot of fun having the extra voices available. The four piece will be my main configuration.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Back when I was gigging all the time, I used to play rock gigs with a little 10,14,20 Yamaha kit and one of the comments I would hear quite often after gigs was, "Boy, you sure made that kit sound a lot bigger than it is." You don't need a lot of drums to sound cool and interesting. There's nothing wrong with having more, you just don't NEED more. Using less forces you to get the most out of what you have and that engages me.

I hate having to reach up to play my ride too. Is it something I could get used to? Sure, but I just don't want to. I'm all about setting things up so I'm totally comfortable, don't have to reach for anything, and it taking a minimum of movement and effort to play. I'm a heavy hitter too, so that sounds counterintuitive, but after you've been playing for a long time, you kinda figure it out how to do both.
x2,

I'm playing a Yamaha 10-14-20 on most gigs, and yes it's got to be comfy.

As it's been said, the great ergonomic advantage of the 4pc set up is placement the ride cymbal. It's a critical piece of the kit, and for me far more important than a 3rd tom.

Ergonomically, I could never go back to have to reach too far to the right. Spend a year trying to develop your spang-a-lang and the reasoning becomes clear...

My cymbal set up is lean as well, besides the hats and ride there is only one crash on my left. And to the right there is one homemade setup that incorporates a trash/stack with an upside-down splash on top of it that can be used normally

The result is very clean spacious lines...hitting a rim, hitting a bell, all wonderfully accessible....
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post
x2,

I'm playing a Yamaha 10-14-20 on most gigs, and yes it's got to be comfy.

As it's been said, the great ergonomic advantage of the 4pc set up is placement the ride cymbal. It's a critical piece of the kit, and for me far more important than a 3rd tom.

Ergonomically, I could never go back to have to reach too far to the right. Spend a year trying to develop your spang-a-lang and the reasoning becomes clear...

My cymbal set up is lean as well, besides the hats and ride there is only one crash on my left. And to the right there is one homemade setup that incorporates a trash/stack with an upside-down splash on top of it that can be used normally

The result is very clean spacious lines...hitting a rim, hitting a bell, all wonderfully accessible....
Exactly why I think many people like the setup.

I have also thinned down my cymbals, comparatively speaking......hats, 17" K crash, 20" K Custom Ride, 19" A Ride used as a second crash.....2 splashes tossed in.....dropped 2 other crashes I used to setup with my larger kit.....nice to have options.....
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Try centering your mounted tom to close that monster gap.
It works like a charm if you can deal with a non-standard looking setup.

I have a 10"tom, 14" floor tom,22" bass drum that I use, the 12" that goes with the kit only goes up for a rock gig, this configuration that you illustrate is what I use,it like me to have to move so much from that 10 to that 14",plus it gets my crash from over the hihat and lowered.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Over 20 years ago, I started with a 6-piece. As our band got more and more popular, I started leaving more equipment at home.

Although I'm in a different band now, here's my current set-up. I couldn't be happier:

Love it! I have more fun, it seems, when I play this set up below, than when I have three toms. If I must go three toms, it's 1 up 2 down. Minimalism for the win.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I like 3 up one down personally. Playing classic rock I like that small tom voice. However recently I bought an Alesis Sample Pad and I traded out the small tom. I can use samples to handle much of what I did with that small tom. My ride is mostly over my FT but a little farther forward towards my second rack tom. I have no issues playing it.

There is no such thing as a standard. Play what you want.