DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 AM

Default After 33 years......I appreciate 1 Up 1 Down

After playing 5 to 7piece kits for the past 33years and only occasionally playing a 1 up 1 down configuration for the odd jazz or small venue gig I have spent the past 4 weeks playing my kit as a 1up 1down 4pc while we redo the basement and I love it......WTF haven't I done this before?

I take back everything I may have or have not said over the years about 4pc kits.....

Normally I'm set up as 8,10,12,14,22 and now just 12,14,22......having the ride in that comfy position and eliminating that invisible pull of "you carried it all in so you have to hit it all" that tempts everyone with larger setups.

Since I'm more classic rock to Sturgill to mainstream "country" these days this setup may be here to stay for a while. The ergonomics of the setup is just fantastic.....but everyone already knew that......but me.

There I needed to admit my stupidity on the interwebs......thanks, I feel better now.....
Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 AM

Default Re: After 33 years......I appreciate 1 Up 1 Down

I have always fancied a 6 or 7 piece kit myself as a comfy studio kit where I don't have to move them.

Only after doing gigs for 1+ year, I realized, I am just not gonna bother with all this transportation hassle and take my 20/12/16 along for the ride. Works well for me because I can just re-adjust the way I do my RLL's and how long my triple strokes last around the kit
Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 AM
Ghostnote

I've had bigger kits in the past, but 2 or 3 toms always ended up stacked in the corner of my drum room, so I just stick to 1 up 1 down.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

I've been thinking about trying a 4 pc again. I normally like 5 or more. I only have 5 now anyway.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

Every time I try 1 up 1 down I'm totally lost! I do fine with some stuff, but then I try and play prog rock and trying to do a big fill split between two toms just doesn't seem to complement the music at all. I can get 4 sounds from the toms playing outside and inside edges, but something is just not the same. Every time I read threads like this I keep thinking there's just something someone hasn't told me. Sure would save me a ton of cash on my dream set!

Last edited by AzHeat; 04-05-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I keep trying to play bigger kits (currently I'm in a 2-up, 2-down config), but I grew up on a 4-piece, so I always go back to that anyway. Maybe just to have an added voice, I'll keep the two floor toms, but I play best on only four drums.

Glad you found your voice!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:32 AM
gf2564

After fifty five years, I am still fine with hauling and setting up my six piece.....
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
After fifty five years, I am still fine with hauling and setting up my six piece.....
Excellent, that means I have 20 more to go before figuring it out, if I ever do. Viva la 6pc! :)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

More than happy with 1 up 2 down or 1 up 1 down. As long as I have the perfect ride position. The OCD kicks in if I don't.

For set up and pack down the smaller setups are always going to be better as long as you don't have a forest of cymbals or you have a stainless steel kit that weighs more than your car :)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

I do think style of music does play into things.....as mentioned above by a poster, prog rock or metal, particularly leaning towards the thrash or prog side probably would be where a 4pc doesn't make much sense but......

For me it currently is all about comfort and finding a new more ergonomic position to play in, as what worked fine when I was 21 is a little different at 42. I have basically played the same setup for the better part of 15-20 years.....3 up 1 down, double pedal, 2 crashes to the left 2 to the right ride above the floor tom, a couple splashes thrown in......with this current setup I was like "well, let's just start with redefining the position of the core of the setup".....back to basics like I was new, so I started with a really comfortable spot for the bass, hi hat and snare which made me realize I am over my "dugga dugga dugga" stage and the double pedal was dropped. Then I put the ride where I wanted it.....then the toms and put up one crash to the left, one to the right and a couple splashes and boom......Eureka.

I find myself now facing slightly more straight on than I was before as I was really sitting way to the left and really spread out by comparison due to the pedal setup and habit.

I have also been forced to play things differently obviously with less shit to hit and incorporate into fills......but I found myself really refining and focusing more on playing clean comfortable grooves with musical fills and finding additional "voices" on the kit......which sounds cliche' and like a bad quote from a magazine but it is true.

If/when I add toms back, I don't think my ride is going anywhere from a position perspective.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 AM
JohnoWorld

I have just gone from 1 up 1 down to 2 up 1 down (10,12,14)

I have always used the 4 piece setup as a basis for my kit. Sometimes I'd add 1 rack tom to the left of the hi-hat, or to the left of the other tom.

Now I've taken ages setting up as 2 up 1 down, I don't like it.

I guess it's just because I have a 12" tom then i feel I have to use it.

Look at Neil Peart, he has essentially a 4 piece setup with bazillions of add-ons.

I have the worst shoulders know to man (4 operations) and reaching up (above the 2nd tom) or round (above the floor tom) to hit the ride is really painful.

I'm going to give it a month or so, see how much the tendonitis plays up
Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Over 20 years ago, I started with a 6-piece. As our band got more and more popular, I started leaving more equipment at home.

Although I'm in a different band now, here's my current set-up. I couldn't be happier:

Old 04-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Now that you got that ride in a comfy spot I bet you never go back,

I know I won't!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Amen brother. I used to think I had to set up every piece of equipment I had. I found that I felt like I had to make sure I utilized everything through the course of the night whether it was needed or not. I finally realized that I was focusing on quantity rather than quality. I further came to appreciate when middle age kicked in. That ride position is a lot easier on the old worn shoulder.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post
Now that you got that ride in a comfy spot I bet you never go back,

I know I won't!
Exactly. In the 3up 1 down config I had 2 toms mounted on the bass and a suspended 14" "floor tom"....the ride was low over the FT. Wasn't horrible for 25 years or so but damn this is SO much easier. I find myself much more open to new patterns etc. Plus that simple change literally is about an 18" difference in my right hand position while on the ride. That extra 18" reach caused more tension in my arm than I thought as the new position allows me to play so much more relaxed and with better technique especially for freer flowing quick ride patterns......much less fatigue.

Additionally my old ride location limited me to a 20" ride as a 21" or22" would put the bell even further over widening my chest up even more to play it. This position.....feels like I could put a friggin' gong there if I wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masheanhed View Post
Amen brother. I used to think I had to set up every piece of equipment I had. I found that I felt like I had to make sure I utilized everything through the course of the night whether it was needed or not. I finally realized that I was focusing on quantity rather than quality. I further came to appreciate when middle age kicked in. That ride position is a lot easier on the old worn shoulder.
Eliminating that subconcious feeling that I needed to incorporate everything into my playing and fills needed a lot of "voices" has been really liberating. Again, much more than I ever thought. Now I find it more rewarding to incorporate even more dynamics into my playing and fills. It sounds stupid but now I find myself incorporating various parts of the drum into my fills vs. just the sweet spot of the toms, incorporating rims, the bells of every cymbal including my sweet new set of 15" Avedis hats etc.

Playing more musically.

I know damn near everyone has already had this eureka moment but admitting this on the web was cathartic....kinda like I needed to hear/read myself saying:

"4 Piece......I'm sorry I was a shit to you all these years and thought you were a hipster throwback fad...."
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
Exactly. In the 3up 1 down config I had 2 toms mounted on the bass and a suspended 14" "floor tom"....the ride was low over the FT. Wasn't horrible for 25 years or so but damn this is SO much easier. I find myself much more open to new patterns etc. Plus that simple change literally is about an 18" difference in my right hand position while on the ride. That extra 18" reach caused more tension in my arm than I thought as the new position allows me to play so much more relaxed and with better technique especially for freer flowing quick ride patterns......much less fatigue.

Additionally my old ride location limited me to a 20" ride as a 21" or22" would put the bell even further over widening my chest up even more to play it. This position.....feels like I could put a friggin' gong there if I wanted to.

Eliminating that subconcious feeling that I needed to incorporate everything into my playing and fills needed a lot of "voices" has been really liberating. Again, much more than I ever thought. Now I find it more rewarding to incorporate even more dynamics into my playing and fills. It sounds stupid but now I find myself incorporating various parts of the drum into my fills vs. just the sweet spot of the toms, incorporating rims, the bells of every cymbal including my sweet new set of 15" Avedis hats etc.

Playing more musically.

I know damn near everyone has already had this eureka moment but admitting this on the web was cathartic....kinda like I needed to hear/read myself saying:

"4 Piece......I'm sorry I was a shit to you all these years and thought you were a hipster throwback fad...."
So, I agree with all of your points. I shed the 8" tom after moving my ride over the bass drum for the same reasons you mentioned. Just too much of a stretch and once I got my 21" ride, that extra one inch was enough to constitute a move. Reading your post about incorporating the different parts of the drums, rims, bells, etc., into a fill has been something that I've done for years and didn't need to reduce the number to explore. That said, tom positioning does make it way easier to incorporate rims, especially if they can be moved into a flatter position. With three rack toms, I was forced to accept more angles, so it was tougher to do rim shots across the toms. With 2 up, I was able to get the toms a bit closer and flatter. A 1 up configuration with 12" on a stand would get things flatter yet, though I'm not sure it would add any value, since my rack toms are pretty low and flat as is and my hi hats where comfortable. I have zero issues getting to my 16" FT without twisting. It's just there, so stripping it, would only make sense If I had to save stage space. I get the whole less is more thing, but sometimes less is less.

I don't mean to be negative here, but really trying to understand why everyone feels liberated stripping things off and having limited voices, when it frustrates the hell out of me. Next fad I'll be reading here is I bought a spongbob kit and added a 30" crash/ride and never realized how limited I was with a traditional 4 pc! I'm so musical now....

I guess I'm an old dog, so new tricks have to be beaten in!!!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
So, I agree with all of your points. I shed the 8" tom after moving my ride over the bass drum for the same reasons you mentioned. Just too much of a stretch and once I got my 21" ride, that extra one inch was enough to constitute a move. Reading your post about incorporating the different parts of the drums, rims, bells, etc., into a fill has been something that I've done for years and didn't need to reduce the number to explore. That said, tom positioning does make it way easier to incorporate rims, especially if they can be moved into a flatter position. With three rack toms, I was forced to accept more angles, so it was tougher to do rim shots across the toms. With 2 up, I was able to get the toms a bit closer and flatter. A 1 up configuration with 12" on a stand would get things flatter yet, though I'm not sure it would add any value, since my rack toms are pretty low and flat as is and my hi hats where comfortable. I have zero issues getting to my 16" FT without twisting. It's just there, so stripping it, would only make sense If I had to save stage space. I get the whole less is more thing, but sometimes less is less.

I don't mean to be negative here, but really trying to understand why everyone feels liberated stripping things off and having limited voices, when it frustrates the hell out of me. Next fad I'll be reading here is I bought a spongbob kit and added a 30" crash/ride and never realized how limited I was with a traditional 4 pc! I'm so musical now....

I guess I'm an old dog, so new tricks have to be beaten in!!!
Well, I can only speak for myself here......but 30+ years builds a lot of patterns and habits around a kit, at least it did for me. Having "more shit to hit" partly established those patterns and habits. So really the added "musicality" is just due to looking at the kit differently than I have for 20+ years. It wasn't that I never incorporated rims, bells etc. into my playing over the years, just those options took a distant backseat to the "more shit to hit" buffet in front of me.

I would maintain it isn't a fad per se....it is more like a point in a process for some people much like a chef goes through....where coming out of culinary school they are making complicated dishes with exotic ingredients because they can and are trying to build a reputation as a technician etc. then after X years they strip it all down in a back to basics approach where they "highlight the quality of the ingredients" vs. having 30 elements in a single dish.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
After playing 5 to 7piece kits for the past 33years and only occasionally playing a 1 up 1 down configuration for the odd jazz or small venue gig I have spent the past 4 weeks playing my kit as a 1up 1down 4pc while we redo the basement and I love it......WTF haven't I done this before?

I take back everything I may have or have not said over the years about 4pc kits.....

Normally I'm set up as 8,10,12,14,22 and now just 12,14,22......having the ride in that comfy position and eliminating that invisible pull of "you carried it all in so you have to hit it all" that tempts everyone with larger setups.

Since I'm more classic rock to Sturgill to mainstream "country" these days this setup may be here to stay for a while. The ergonomics of the setup is just fantastic.....but everyone already knew that......but me.

There I needed to admit my stupidity on the interwebs......thanks, I feel better now.....
Welcome to the club. It's great that you've figured out the indisputable fact of how small kits are better than big kits.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM

That's totally cool. I know there are a lot of advantages of a kit like that.

For me, though I could never get used to it, try as I might. For me, just having that extra tom (two up one down) feels sooo much better, though I of course don't use each tom in every fill.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Cool man............................................... ..........
Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I play either 2 up 2 down or 2 up 1 down. I've always had two rack toms and always will. I'll park the 14" floor tom to save space if needed. I don't have a big crazy array of cymbals (hats, 2 crashes, 1 ride) so that's no big deal when moving stuff. One config is not better than another. Play 'em how you like 'em.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

I've been plying the 1 up 1 down for quite a while now and love it, hard to believe years ago I had the big kit like a lot of drummers still use. Every now and then I like to bring out the 10" tom but I just can't seem to get my ride cymbal in a comfortable position. If I put it over the 12" tom I have to reach too high so mostly it goes over the floor tom which works ok but it's just not the same.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

I've been playing that set up for a few years now. Even going with just hats, a crash, and a ride cymbal wise. Been doing just fine playing metal with it. Sometimes I miss the big kits I had. At least for complicated multi tom fills...

Space has been an issue for me. But playability stayed the same between my kits. Just have to think differently on anything involving toms. And more snare fills are nice.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Why was playing the kits you used to play stupid? Why is the ergonomics of the 4 piece "fantastic"? Please explain.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Why was playing the kits you used to play stupid? Why is the ergonomics of the 4 piece "fantastic"? Please explain.
By stripping down to just the essentials and using those more, you're moving around less and have things in a tighter, easier to reach setup. You can put each of the classic pieces exactly where you want them because there's nothing in the way and no other kit parts to compromise with. Classic examples of this are ride placement which is usually compromised for other drums or cymbals, followed by perhaps the hi-hat placement, which lots of guys push out further than is comfortable so they can have a larger kit with more stuff over there.

And so on.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
By stripping down to just the essentials and using those more, you're moving around less and have things in a tighter, easier to reach setup. You can put each of the classic pieces exactly where you want them because there's nothing in the way and no other kit parts to compromise with. Classic examples of this are ride placement which is usually compromised for other drums or cymbals, followed by perhaps the hi-hat placement, which lots of guys push out further than is comfortable so they can have a larger kit with more stuff over there.

And so on.
I see. I have always have two mounted toms and never had a problem reaching them, I find the gap between one mounted tom and the floor tom too big. Everything is a compromise, re setup but I could not do without my two mounted toms, I love the variation in notes between them and the floor. For me three toms is stripped down to the essentials.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I can live with 1 up, 1 down (a major accomplishment that I thought would never happen),

but I much prefer 2 up, 1 down.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I see. I have always have two mounted toms and never had a problem reaching them, I find the gap between one mounted tom and the floor tom too big. Everything is a compromise, re setup but I could not do without my two mounted toms, I love the variation in notes between them and the floor. For me three toms is stripped down to the essentials.

Try centering your mounted tom to close that monster gap.
It works like a charm if you can deal with a non-standard looking setup.

Last edited by wildbill; 06-28-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

I've been playing a 4-piece (most of the time) for more than 20 years and it just feels like home to me. Every time I stray from it I come back pretty quickly. Everything is in the right spot. I don't think of the "gap" between the toms as a gap. It seems like a gap if you're coming from playing a bigger kit but after a while it's just normal. Although I don't put my mounted tom very far left and low like some guys do so the distance between the toms is not ridiculous. Basically it's where it would be on a 5-piece with the right tom removed. I don't like my tom in a snare stand for that reason, it's just too far left encroaching on the left side crash's spot.

But that's the great thing about drums is you use what you feel comfortable with. Like mikel said he could not do without two rack toms and I totally understand that. There is no wrong answer. Although if you played on some of the stages I play on and stuck to that rule you couldn't have a ride cymbal. I have no choice but to put the ride in that spot.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I love 1 up 1 down because you don't have as much crap to haul around.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

It is home base for comfort.

I have recently started adding a 10" tom in the equation, and ride placement is sort of a challenge.

1 up 1 down is right. Correct ride placement.

2 up 1 down is fun for fills.

So for my rock band 2 up one down.

For fusion gigs, haven't fully decided yet.

But damn that ride feels just freakin right in a 1U 1D don't it ?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:51 AM
Silver Member

Weckl and Vinnie play two up so we mere mortals can work it out.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

There's always the offset toms route. But that may put the hi-hat too far left for some. With a rack you can kind of get the best of both by having everything a little more to the right so the ride is still comfortable and the hats aren't too far out. But I'm not going back to using a rack.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
It is home base for comfort.

I have recently started adding a 10" tom in the equation, and ride placement is sort of a challenge.

1 up 1 down is right. Correct ride placement.

2 up 1 down is fun for fills.

So for my rock band 2 up one down.

For fusion gigs, haven't fully decided yet.

But damn that ride feels just freakin right in a 1U 1D don't it ?
I have no doubt it works for you, and its the way you like to play, but there is no such thing as "Correct" placement for any part of a kit, only what suits the individual. Give 20 drummers the same kit to play at a festival and if they have time to do it they will all move/remove, add too or adjust bits of the kit. They cant all be correct.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM
gf2564

Quote:
I have no doubt it works for you, and its the way you like to play, but there is no such thing as "Correct" placement for any part of a kit, only what suits the individual. Give 20 drummers the same kit to play at a festival and if they have time to do it they will all move/remove, add too or adjust bits of the kit. They cant all be correct.
Absolutely agree, depends on what you get used to! I don't gig as much as I used to and very rarely share kits or play venues with multiple bands. Some argue stage space and I understand that but.......it has been my experience that the footprint it takes to accomodate four piece, five piece or six piece really isn't much different. When you add double bass drum, extra snares/floor toms on the opposite side and numerous cymbals, that takes more noticable space. I have been fortunate over the many years I have played with relatively easy load ins. Because of this and to have my set up "correct" for me, I have no problem making a few extra trips to the car. I will resist the urge to comment on the whole "less is better", "forces you to be more creative" big vs. small kit silliness......play what you want and do it to the best of your ability!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

I'd rather have more drums of the same finish so I could choose what to bring to a gig. Especially if you're ordering some type of exotic, higher end finish. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of people being frustrated trying to special order that additional tom in a discontinued finish. If you buy a BD, 2 up, 2 down, you can pretty much set up any config you want.

Personally, I think the 1 up 1 down is a hipster fad. You may as well get a cafe kit. I want my drums to look like they mean business. Weckl, Gavin Harrison, and forum favorite Schizo Jim Gordon don't look like they have any problem getting to their ride. Well....maybe Gordon does, now that he's in the joint. ;-)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
Absolutely agree, depends on what you get used to! I don't gig as much as I used to and very rarely share kits or play venues with multiple bands. Some argue stage space and I understand that but.......it has been my experience that the footprint it takes to accomodate four piece, five piece or six piece really isn't much different. When you add double bass drum, extra snares/floor toms on the opposite side and numerous cymbals, that takes more noticable space. I have been fortunate over the many years I have played with relatively easy load ins. Because of this and to have my set up "correct" for me, I have no problem making a few extra trips to the car. I will resist the urge to comment on the whole "less is better", "forces you to be more creative" big vs. small kit silliness......play what you want and do it to the best of your ability!
Spot on, space wise. Two mounted toms takes up no more space than a single. Personal choice.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I prefer 2 up, conditioning since 1976. I do play a 4 piece once or twice a month, and I keep forgetting my ride is where my bigger rack tom usually is, and I hit the ride cymbal when I want to do a single tom note. I prefer my ride positioned over my floor tom, it feels more comfortable to me.

My 5 piece takes up a little bigger footprint because the of ride cymbal stand outside of my floor tom, but in my mind it's negligible. A 6 piece doesn't take up any more room either, I sit farther back than my first floor tom when I do use a 6 piece (maybe 5 times a year)

1 up one down doesn't decrease the amount of trips I make, so I prefer 2 up.
I do have one gig where I have to walk my kit up 20 steps, and I got it down to 2 trips. I made a rope harness that loops around 2 floor tom brackets. Then I take a floor tom leg out, put it through the rack tom mounting bracket then back in the floor tom leg bracket. So it immobilizes my rack tom for carrying. The I put the harness around my neck so it frees my hands up to carry my bass and snare drum too.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Rashidi View Post
Personally, I think the 1 up 1 down is a hipster fad.
Okay, so guys like Joe Morello, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey and Papa Jo Jones were all hipsters. Alright. :-)

Now on a more serious note: There will always be the case where 2 up 2 down, 3 up 1 down or 1 up 2 down ,... is the way to go for specific drummers. 1 up 1 down is not the holy grail. But it has a few advantages.

One is ride-placement the other one is that you need less space on stages and have to carry less to your gigs. (and replacing heads costs less and is done faster, too) Of course, such a "small" setup allows you to concentrate more on the few things you have at your disposal and (hopefully) get the most out of it from a musical point of view, instead of blindly bashing countless toms and cymbals. But on the other hand, there are drummers with big drumsets, which play very creative, very musical on their big sets. Cobham and Philips are two of those geniuses.

Everyone is different, thus everyone will favor a slightly different drumset. 1 up 1 down is cool, just like 4 up 2 down. It really depends on the drummer, his habits, his drumming philosophy, his body shape, the type of music they play. I could never play well on a Keith Moon 1974 drumset with two rows of toms. I could never play well on Cobhams drums or a Louie Bellson drumset. I could never play well on McBrains drumset. But I can play halfway decent on my drumset (which actually is 1 up 1 down) and that's all that counts, isn't it?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Two mounted toms takes up no more space than a single.
True, it's not the toms. But the ride-cymbal needs some extra space with a 2 up 1 down setup if you place it over the floortom. Space that you sometimes don't have on the right side of the stage. Sad but true.