DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Default Question about recording/mixing equipment

I'm considering doing some recording. I have a large kit. Micing it would require more channels than come on a standard audio interface. Buying 2 would push you up near the cost of digital mixing console. So is there a techinical reason I'm missing as to why guys don't just by a digital console that would yield more channels?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question about recording/mixing equipment

Usually to me it seems that daisy-chaining interfaces (or using ADAT, etc.) is because a system has been expanded from a smaller system. Personally I like a hybrid environment (analogue input, digital editing with analogue outboard, etc.) but that is beyond the scope of most home studios (my system at work is a hybrid setup).

It also depends on which digital desk you're looking at buying and which interfaces you're comparing it to. Most of the time two interfaces is still the cheaper solution for equivalent quality, although there are some excellent mid-range digital desks on the market at the moment.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Matt Bo Eder

You really need to define the "digital console" part to me.

Does that mean you can somehow record as many tracks as you have inputs? The digital console isn't the actual recorder. And most of the medium-sized digital boards only output a stereo digital track to your computer, making it the same as having a two-channel interface. Or am I missing something?

You said you would need a lot more mics than what is currently available. So how many is that? Could you mic up with eight mics? If so, a good 8-channel USB interface would be fine. But then there's the other question of having a computer that could handle eight incoming tracks and applying whatever processing you'll be doing to eight tracks at once.

In my case, with a standard 6-piece set and a few cymbals, I can do a pretty good recording of it with four microphones, and these I record into a Zoom H6 recorder, and this leaves me two open channels on the H6 to either have a music track, or to put a couple of mics up to get the rest of the band in that kind of situation. Sometimes I go even more old school and record the kit with just two microphones. Most times that's all I need to get a good sound.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

If you don't need portability, a digital desk is a nice option for sure.
https://youtu.be/vsaHD1udpeA

I use the Roland Studio Capture, which gives you up to 12 mic inputs. That's probably enough for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhGrmXNu2Y
Old 04-02-2017, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj410 View Post
I'm considering doing some recording. I have a large kit. Micing it would require more channels than come on a standard audio interface. Buying 2 would push you up near the cost of digital mixing console. So is there a techinical reason I'm missing as to why guys don't just by a digital console that would yield more channels?
Three philosophies.

1: Sparse mic'ing (Overhead, kick)

2: Mic almost everything: AIW studio (Zoom R16/R24). Gets you 8 channels, a full DAW, and a studio control surface.

3: Mic Absolutely everything: A digital mixer with individual track recording (Presonus AI and AR). These are nice for a performing drummer that wants a simple way to dump their tracks to a DAW. We just had a forum member pick up an AR a couple months ago and it seems legit.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quite a few people use the Yamaha mixer. It's along time since it was updated and it's not the most user friendly. The Behringer X32 is popular.

It depends what you want, how you're gonna use it and certainly on your budget.

I just picked up a Scarlett 18i20. I'm so far pleasantly surprised by the quality. It's just an interface and 8 preamps, so that is what you pay for. If I had a Mac and more dough I'd go for the Clarett. They both have plenty of inputs and also you can add more pres and inputs with extra modules. I have 2 extra outboard preamps, so so that's 10 mic inputs.

The add on modules are generally less.

For the price, what you lack in functions you generally get back in quality.

With the Scarlett and Ableton software I basically have a digital mixer. Even with USB, latency seems to be a non-issue these days.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
You really need to define the "digital console" part to me.

Does that mean you can somehow record as many tracks as you have inputs? The digital console isn't the actual recorder. And most of the medium-sized digital boards only output a stereo digital track to your computer, making it the same as having a two-channel interface. Or am I missing something?

You said you would need a lot more mics than what is currently available. So how many is that? Could you mic up with eight mics? If so, a good 8-channel USB interface would be fine. But then there's the other question of having a computer that could handle eight incoming tracks and applying whatever processing you'll be doing to eight tracks at once.

In my case, with a standard 6-piece set and a few cymbals, I can do a pretty good recording of it with four microphones, and these I record into a Zoom H6 recorder, and this leaves me two open channels on the H6 to either have a music track, or to put a couple of mics up to get the rest of the band in that kind of situation. Sometimes I go even more old school and record the kit with just two microphones. Most times that's all I need to get a good sound.
Like a behringer x32 compact or maybe a Midas M32R. My kit is 11 piece. My understanding is each drum gets a mic and then 2 overheads. The church I attend records 32 channels through reaper and then the mix is done at the board(MidasM32) and can be recorded on USB. I'm not looking to foolishly spend money but I'd hate to get half way in and have that I should have spent a little more on the front side to avoid potential snags down the road. I'm really green to the whole process....no pun intended. My understanding is you can do the final mix on the M32 or in Reaper. Not sure of the pros and cons of each method.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

You can use the X32 as a control source, but it happens in the DAW.

There are man ways to mic up a kit. BD + overheads often works well. Next is the snare.

In a typical live, big stage setting, you'll probably put a mic on everything if you can for control. In the studio, especially in a jazz and the drummer has good internal dynamics 1 or two mics can be enough. Some go the other way like 2 mics on almost everything, 3 overheads, room mics, 5 BD mics and so on. The reason to go way overboard would be that one doesn't know much about how the final mix/arrangement will be.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

Get a used Presonus StudioLive mixer and dive in! It's an excellent rabbit hole to muck around in!

Reverb is your friend.