DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

In the thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132335, about what "you will never own/buy" and why, got me thinking. As I said in that thread, I took a writing class a few years ago where I learned that one of the reasons a person "chooses" a taste (favorite car, color shoes, taste in musical genres) is how they perceive how listening to that music or playing those drums will increase their social status.

Now there are other factors, but for sure this applies. For instance, I have always had a need to be "distinct", where my tastes didn't totally line up with what is most popular. There are exceptions to this, but I guess I perceive that I'll gain social status by being different in many instances and that "chooses" what I'll like.

With that in mind, why do you like certain drum brands or cymbal brands? Do you think you are truly capable of choosing objectively on just sound? If your kit was placed in a huge room full of other kits and you were blindfolded, would you still choose those drums out of the bunch? And if the kit/cymbals that you loved the sound of most, but was made by a maker that for some reason you don't like, would you run out and buy them?

I love Tama drums because they probably did a great job of marketing when I was in the market for my first high end kit. I think some of my favorite drummers were Tama endorsers. And then when I got the Tama Starclassic maple drums, they were immaculate. I recently bought one of the limited edition Tama Starclassic Performer B/B kits and it too is immaculate. Tama's quality control just puts me at ease when I buy the drums. I use mostly Sabian cymbals (but have owned Zildjian also). The reasons for that, is not clear to me. Why Sabian and not Paiste or Zildjian as my preferred choice? That might have more to do with sound as I would play all of the cymbals in the store and Sabian just felt/sounded best. But maybe there was some marketing that I was susceptible to?

What makes you a "X" drum lover? Why are you a Gretsch guy? Why are you a Ludwig girl?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
octatonic's Avatar
octatonic octatonic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: An Australian in Oxfordshire, UK.
Posts: 455
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I changed from Gretsch to DW.

I played in a band in the 90's (as a guitarist) with a great drummer who had a Gretsch kit that sounded fantastic.
When I started drumming I automatically went with Gretsch.

Over time I realised that DW were more the sort of sound I hear in my head so over time I sold my Gretsch kits (except for my first one which I'll keep forever) and bought a couple of DW Collectors (one for live, one set up in my studio) and a bunch of their snares.

I really should change my username. :)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,866
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

1) the way it sounds
2) the way it packs up and sets up
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,491
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

The sound, the look, the build quality
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 2,427
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I like just about all drums; cymbals are a different matter. I have owned the following brands of drums since my first drum set in 1968:

Drum Mate (typical stencil brand)
Ludwig
Slingerland
Gretsch
Pearl
Corder
Mapex
Pacific
Peace

I now have two Gretsch toms and one bass drum, a Pearl bass drum and one tom, a Mapex snare, a Pacific snare, and a Peace snare. They all sound (and look) good to me, and that is all I care about. I have no idea why I like this stuff, and that is how I prefer it. Yes, I prefer not to know. Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman
Mapex Saturn (bass drum, toms, snare) Mapex MPX(snare); Sabian, Evans, LA Backbeat
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: No longer in North Idaho
Posts: 5,141
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I don't think I could analyze it, really. Too complicated for my feeble brain. Part of it is brand identity, partly sound, partly finish. However, the major factor in my drum purchases is value. Can I afford it? Is it worth it to me?

I have a high end Ludwig that sounds decent and I love the looks of. And I have a Tama Silverstar that I bought because it was cheap. It looks like crap (finish wrap is wrinkly) but sounds excellent for the price. I like the sound of it better than the Luddies in some respects, but the sizes are different so I can't just sub one for the other.

Cymbals, on the other hand are different. I don't care much what they look like. Considerations are, can I afford it and do I like the sound?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I don't think I could analyze it, really. Too complicated for my feeble brain. Part of it is brand identity, partly sound, partly finish. However, the major factor in my drum purchases is value. Can I afford it? Is it worth it to me?

I have a high end Ludwig that sounds decent and I love the looks of. And I have a Tama Silverstar that I bought because it was cheap. It looks like crap (finish wrap is wrinkly) but sounds excellent for the price. I like the sound of it better than the Luddies in some respects, but the sizes are different so I can't just sub one for the other.

Cymbals, on the other hand are different. I don't care much what they look like. Considerations are, can I afford it and do I like the sound?
How could I forget this? Of course perceived value too. I'm more drawn to purchase something if I think the resale value will also be good. So yeah, I love sound and looks, but if it is some kit that no one knows about? I'm less likely to buy it because I want to get more bang for my buck. Good point.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Boom
This message has been deleted by Boom.
  #8  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
1) the way it sounds
2) the way it packs up and sets up
Dr Watso, you aren't drawn to a certain brand of drums? If it fits these requirements you will take any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The sound, the look, the build quality
GD - you are a Gretsch guy though right? Maybe I'm wrong. But if you are a Gretsch guy, why? Why not a Ludwig or Mapex guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
I like just about all drums; cymbals are a different matter. I have owned the following brands of drums since my first drum set in 1968:

Drum Mate (typical stencil brand)
Ludwig
Slingerland
Gretsch
Pearl
Corder
Mapex
Pacific
Peace

I now have two Gretsch toms and one bass drum, a Pearl bass drum and one tom, a Mapex snare, a Pacific snare, and a Peace snare. They all sound (and look) good to me, and that is all I care about. I have no idea why I like this stuff, and that is how I prefer it. Yes, I prefer not to know. Peace and goodwill.
That's pretty amazing to me that you appear to not care at all about brands. You are impervious to marketing! :)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,245
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Cost is my first consideration, as in price bracket. Mid range is my thing as I go with head choice and tuning for my sound. Then its drum sizes, I like 20" BDs and short stack toms. Then its mounting systems, I would never go for Tama as I hate the look of the bent angle iron on the mid range kits. The Yamaha Stage Custom ticked all the boxes as I love the mounting system, the price point and the build quality.

Cymbals are another matter. Cost is not really a consideration, up to a point. I tried almost every cymbal in the shop before I bought my last ride cymbal. I have a mish mash of cymbal brands but I love the sound they all make.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,491
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Dr Watso, you aren't drawn to a certain brand of drums? If it fits these requirements you will take any?



GD - you are a Gretsch guy though right? Maybe I'm wrong. But if you are a Gretsch guy, why? Why not a Ludwig or Mapex guy?



That's pretty amazing to me that you appear to not care at all about brands. You are impervious to marketing! :)
My first set of drums back in 1963 0r 64 were Gretsch and they were good. Fast forward to 2007 and I started looking for a set of new drums and what I found that fit my budget were a set of birch Taye drums. Great drums, but all big sizes. I wanted smaller, so I perused CL daily and a guy had a new set of Gretsch Renown, never set up or played for 900.00. I waited and 2 weeks later they were 700.00 so I went to look and ended up getting them of 650.00, a steal. If I could buy new again I would have no trouble with Tama, Pearl or Ludwig and not necessarily in the order. I promote Gretsch because I own a set and like the sound, look, and build. But not stuck on Gretsch
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,866
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

[quote=Boom;1493644]Dr Watso, you aren't drawn to a certain brand of drums? If it fits these requirements you will take any?[\quote]
Not really. I bought a few tama kits, but that just happens to be what came up at the right price and right sound. I also like gretch and a bunch of others. More likely to dislike the bargain brands than prefer a name brand.

The only stuff I'm really "drawn" to would be the super artsy drums you know, the gurus\bradys\etc and other hand made art pieces that are just beautiful along with function. But, in my current life, I can't really justify spending for the diminishing gains.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Vintage Old School's Avatar
Vintage Old School Vintage Old School is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 851
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

In this order: Sound. Build Quality. Appearance. Price point.

I've stuck with Yamaha drums since '79 because they do everything I want.
I'm loyal to the end if the product consistently delivers.

I've only owned one Yamaha snare and was not satisfied with it, nor any of their other snares for that matter.
Snares are totally a sound driven choice for me. The older I get the more particular I get about snare sound/quality.

Cymbals were a long journey over decades. That was a long, slow learning process until I finally understood the
precise sound I was after. The internet helped expedite some of that educational process. Then I finally stumbled
across Istanbul Agop cymbals in the last 10 years and I never looked back. I kept a few other cymbal brands in the
mix based solely on sound and how they blend with the Agops. But I'm an Istanbul devotee until I die.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I like Tama because Lars Ulrich plays Tama.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
TheElectricCompany's Avatar
TheElectricCompany TheElectricCompany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 350
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I covet a set of 3-ply Ludwigs because that's what my heroes played: Bonham, Ringo, Mason, Mitchell, Ward. When you listen to Zeppelin or the Beatles you hear the details in every drum; you hear the head, the shell, the tuning, the stroke, the room. Those drums are alive. They move me because they're unique and imperfect, and that's rock and roll.

When I see a 10-piece Pearl Reference with 15 cymbals I just think of how boring I find most music that calls for all of those drums, and I think of how the "perfect" studio drum sound doesn't appeal to me at all. When I was a teenager it seemed like all the modern music was intent on eliminating the instrument and focusing instead on the note. To me that's dull and impersonal.

I don't care about virgin bass drums or touching only the edge of a cymbal to maintain its factory finish and sound. I don't want rim mounts on my toms and cradles for my floor toms. I want drums that contribute to the music, drums that make music on their own.

Now, whether most major drum companies are making their drums to meet that studio-perfect standard, I'm not sure, but the music I associate those companies with are what influences my opinion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,491
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
In this order: Sound. Build Quality. Appearance. Price point.

I've stuck with Yamaha drums since '79 because they do everything I want.
I'm loyal to the end if the product consistently delivers.

I've only owned one Yamaha snare and was not satisfied with it, nor any of their other snares for that matter.
Snares are totally a sound driven choice for me. The older I get the more particular I get about snare sound/quality.

Cymbals were a long journey over decades. That was a long, slow learning process until I finally understood the
precise sound I was after. The internet helped expedite some of that educational process. Then I finally stumbled
across Istanbul Agop cymbals in the last 10 years and I never looked back. I kept a few other cymbal brands in the
mix based solely on sound and how they blend with the Agops. But I'm an Istanbul devotee until I die.
I like this but would put the price first. None of us should spend what we can't afford. Anything I buy price is first. If I can't afford it , the build quality, sound , and appearance mean nothing.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 PM
TripleStroke's Avatar
TripleStroke TripleStroke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 216
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

In a way Gruntersdad put it, price point is what gets me the product. I love DWs for their sound and esthetics and quality, however i cant pay 5k for them. I make it my part time job to constantly lurk around quality preowned high end gear and contact seller for reasonable price. How much would it be for this particular model and dimension if it were out of the factory vs what the sellers asking for? And then i would look at quality and condition to see if the sellers asking price fits the bill.

I got my DW collectors off a private sale for $2800 canadian dollars. Considering the year of make (2012) and quality and quantity of it (bass + 2 toms 2 floor toms) I was ecstatic to make the purchase. Never regretted that buy.

That said, this is my order:
Price - build quality - sound - esthetics

I believe within most high end kits that you like within the genre of music you play, you can tune the drum properly into any sound you desire. It is the durability and quality the kit is in that i consider more of a priority.

In terms of esthetics, I will simply avoid any preowned or new gear no matter what quality if it isnt the colour or style I want.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 PM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Price point is #1 for me, since there's no point drooling, if I can't touch it. Sound is absolutely second. Can't live with something I don't like the sound of. These two are why I've been stuck with my PDP set the past 10 years. The last is looks. That said, when I finally get to get a new set, it had better look as good as it sounds with workmanship to match. I would have never picked up the PDPs, if they weren't as cheap as they were ($300), then turn around and redo the bearing edges. I did it, because I knew they would meet the first two requements. I didn't hate the color, but never loved it either. The HW is fine and I'll likely keep them around on the next set, till I replace them with that absolutely awesome Yamaha HW.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,535
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Yamaha fanboy here and it really comes down to nostalgia. As a teen, many of my heroes were playing them and within my circle of players, Recording Customs were the coveted kit to have. I couldn't afford those but I save up my coin and with a little loan from my old man, bought my first new kit, Pro Tour Customs (I think that's what they were calling them at that point; the mahogany/birch shells). I don't think they're better than most other ply shell manufacturers but just as good and I think for the most part, Yamaha doesn't try to present as something they're not.
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 AM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,154
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

The sound?

.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 AM
jdsg's Avatar
jdsg jdsg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 76
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Yamaha fanboy here and it really comes down to nostalgia.
Oh, I hear that. Something about a green sparkle Ludwig kit I still covet because that's what I lusted after as a teen worshipping Bonham. I even prefer the 70's Ludwig logo for the same reason. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool that is often deliberately used. Still comes down to price and value, ultimately.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 AM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I like Tama because Lars Ulrich plays Tama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
I covet a set of 3-ply Ludwigs because that's what my heroes played: Bonham, Ringo, Mason, Mitchell, Ward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
That said, this is my order:
Price - build quality - sound - esthetics

I believe within most high end kits that you like within the genre of music you play, you can tune the drum properly into any sound you desire. It is the durability and quality the kit is in that i consider more of a priority.

In terms of esthetics, I will simply avoid any preowned or new gear no matter what quality if it isnt the colour or style I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Yamaha fanboy here and it really comes down to nostalgia. As a teen, many of my heroes were playing them and within my circle of players, Recording Customs were the coveted kit to have.
There is a theme above. I think that we are influenced greatly by things we don't intend. I guess I'm a Tama guy since I own 2 Tama kits. And I'm sure what led me to them was who was playing them at the time I bought the first one. But it was the build quality that impressed me the most. I agree that you can get good sounds out well made drums. The key is how well are they made.

So after hearing some of these responses I realize it is:
Price, Build Quality, Sound, Appearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
My first set of drums back in 1963 0r 64 were Gretsch and they were good. Fast forward to 2007 and I started looking for a set of new drums and what I found that fit my budget were a set of birch Taye drums. Great drums, but all big sizes. I wanted smaller, so I perused CL daily and a guy had a new set of Gretsch Renown, never set up or played for 900.00. I waited and 2 weeks later they were 700.00 so I went to look and ended up getting them of 650.00, a steal. If I could buy new again I would have no trouble with Tama, Pearl or Ludwig and not necessarily in the order. I promote Gretsch because I own a set and like the sound, look, and build. But not stuck on Gretsch
Ahh, that's so cool GD. I like that little history of what got you into Gretsch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 AM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsg View Post
Oh, I hear that. Something about a green sparkle Ludwig kit I still covet because that's what I lusted after as a teen worshipping Bonham. I even prefer the 70's Ludwig logo for the same reason. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool that is often deliberately used. Still comes down to price and value, ultimately.
Nostalgia. Yes! It's amazing how much I covet the things that impressed me when I was young. My tastes were shaped a lot before I even thought about what I would like.

So with the concept of watching our idols playing the drums shaping our taste, what do you guys all think about the theory that taste is shaped also, in part, by how we perceive we will gain social status?

Like, if your friends all drool over Recording Customs, doesn't it make you want to get them more? If Drummerworld has many people posting lots of positive thoughts on a certain drum company with less negatives, that sways most of us right? But do all forums have the same loves? So do some forums end up skewing people to certain makes? Or is that nonsense? :)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:45 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,624
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Ever since I heard Sonor Phonics back in the late 70s they were the only drums that sounded perfect to me.
Then I found out they made everything they sell. The hardware, spun rims, chrome plating, pedals.
I saved all my money and bought a set of Sonors and got a girlfriend that played Sonor too, and we mixed and matched them.
There's a soul in those drums. Like ghosts between the heads.

I just bought a little set of Sonor Sessions. They sound awful so far. I fell for the brand, but also the price. They look well made but sound like turd.

Lots of brands sound great now. Some are too expensive. I can't justify new Sonor or new Tama, or a nice boutique brand.

I figure if I amortize the cost of those drums that I still play, it cost me about $84US per year. Even less if I sell 'em. I probably could have not enjoyed what I wanted and put that money into a fund of some sort and gotten back compound interest, but I love those drums like a loyal mistress.
Well worth it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,624
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
So with the concept of watching our idols playing the drums shaping our taste, what do you guys all think about the theory that taste is shaped also, in part, by how we perceive we will gain social status?
All taste has a bit of reflection towards your most comfortable social standing.

Your fantasy retinue always agrees with your confirmation bias.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 AM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post

Lots of brands sound great now. Some are too expensive. I can't justify new Sonor or new Tama, or a nice boutique brand.

I figure if I amortize the cost of those drums that I still play, it cost me about $84US per year. Even less if I sell 'em. I probably could have not enjoyed what I wanted and put that money into a fund of some sort and gotten back compound interest, but I love those drums like a loyal mistress.
Well worth it to me.
I also figure out what the purchase will cost me say over 10 years. I don't flip the stuff I buy like other guys do. I tend to hold on to it. So if the kit is 2000usd, it seems like a lot, but 200 a year for 10 years isn't too much. I spend stupid amounts of money on cable TV every month.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
And I'm sure what led me to them was who was playing them at the time I bought the first one.
You mean to say Lars Ulrich?
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 AM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I like very thin maple shells with 45 edges and I like thin hand hammered cymbals, especially dense hammering. I truly feel like I could get the exact sound I'm looking for from most of the major makers. I play DW Collectors and Sabian HH and Artisan cymbals. These both do the things that I like, but put me behind a Sonor Lite with some Zildjian Keropes and I'm going to be a very happy man and you can insert any number of brands into the equation. They all (almost) offer what I'm asking for. I see myself using DW and Sabian because they were both relative unknowns when I started using them. Believe it or not. Both companies have grown into majors. So much so that they draw the ire of many drummers, which I also like. Started a rebel, and finished rebel.

Last edited by The SunDog; 03-31-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,151
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

The specific sonic qualities of their instruments. After that I would say build quality and customer service. Whether it be a major name or a boutique builder.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 AM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,639
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Great sound, hardware, reliable.
__________________
Yamaha Live Oak, Gretsch Drums, 1971 Slingerlands, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 AM
Living Dead Drummer's Avatar
Living Dead Drummer Living Dead Drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

When I was younger the artists who played those products had a big influence on what I liked. However as I got a little older the quality of the product stood out more. I can honestly say that at this point I play the gear that I do because I love it. I chose it, and have had other brands offer me deals that I turned down because of my love for what I had.
__________________
~Nicholas Mason
#LivingDeadDrummer
livingdeaddrummer.com
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:36 AM
Hummada Hummada is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 111
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

I choose for sound quality and that's it. With drums, you can polish a turd. Rebuild, replace hardware, paint/wrap. I don't care if it's a drum set from Sears as long as it sounds good. Yes I've heard a $200 set of drums from Sears sounds amazing! I don't care if it was made out of PVC as long as it sounds good.

Don't get me wrong though, if you can save up for a great set then it's absolutely worth every penny and there will be little to no maintenance. That's what I did, but that's because I have no wife or kids!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM
JohnoWorld
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

All changed over the years

Started:

Mapex Mars: £79 for a 5 piece, sounded great
Mapex Orion: Tried some brand loyalty after the Mars, not a good idea
Pearl MMX: Was looking resplendent in the shop and sounded ace
Pearl BRX: Looked even better in all brushed silver, sounded better too but like the other Pearl, the mounts annoyed me
DW Collectors Maple: Sounded great in the shop, sounded terrible when i got it home, poor build quality etc, took it back and got a
DW Collecters birch: Spent a fortune trying to find heads that work for it, failed, took it back to the shop and got a
Sonor Delite: The best sounding kit I've ever heard. Finally I found a high end kit that sounded right.
Yamaha Stage Custom: Sold the Delite as scallies kept trashing ti and trying to steal it, great sound (when paired with EC2 heads) and a perfect cheap gigging kit
Sonor Prolite: Bought this as a present to myself after receiving a Christmas bonus, sounds just like the Delite but with a bit more resonance.


The thing is, my fave drummers are Harrison, Carey and Haake but I'm not the sort to just just blindly buy what my fave artist is playing, especially when cost was an option.

These days, everything is just so expensive that making the right choice is even harder. I am just so lucky that Scheerers in Leeds had that Sonor Delite that changed my thinking of drums forever.

Now I play Sonor at home and Yamaha on the road. I've always liked the sound of Tama but have never been in a position to buy one
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Woolwich Woolwich is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 517
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Even though I no longer own any Premier drums, as a British person growing up in the 70s and 80s I was exposed to them on TV and pre Internet, pre global marketing they were more prevalent in local shops.
Having posters of AC/DC on my bedroom wall as a teenager is probably the reason why I impulse bought a Sonor kit a few years back, that logo :-)
Mapex were coming out as I stopped playing in the late 80s and they still have a kind of underdog image, as an Englishman that's like a red rag to a bull we love the underdogs.

In my opinion, there's a lot of brilliant gear out there and very few truly bad pieces of equipment. Having an affinity or attachment to a brand is a useful filter or shortcut, instead of looking at every kit, cymbal am snare drum etc available on the market we perhaps instead create a shortlist in our heads that helps the choice.
That being said I'm now playing a Gretsch kit becaus it was a bargain and I'd had a hankering for one for some reason, and a Pearl drum pedal because I was exposed to it in a rehearsal room and fell in love with it straight away. I probably wouldn't have tried one out if I'd stuck to my shortlist so there's good and bad about that idea.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Josidiah's Avatar
Josidiah Josidiah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 49
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

This may sound shallow to some, but I like Japanese brands. Yamaha, Tama or Sakae, one of those is gonna sit in my studio when it's ready. I have yet to play a Canopus kit, but that might be included in the list as well.

The main reason why is quite simple: Living here in Japan, I constantly bear witness to how meticulous these people are in whatever craft they choose to follow, from the janitor to the carpenter. No offense intended to any other drum manufacturers, but as I live here, it feels simply natural to respect that work ethic and show my appreciation by using what they build.

Of course, that would mean nothing if the product couldn't deliver. But I play kits by the aforementioned brands multiple times a month, and they've met and exceeded my expectation so far. Not that mine are high or anything, but still... :)

Last edited by Josidiah; 03-31-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,406
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Nostalgia definitely plays a part. My favourite drummers all played Ludwig at some point in their careers apart from a couple of more modern players who came along after Ludwig's popularity had faded.

Although I love my old Luddy and got it for a good price, I can see why people don't like them. The quality control is 'variable' shall we say but if you want that sound from the 60s/70s sound get a 60s/70s Ludwig.

I have a soft spot for old Premiers, don't know why but they made some great drums in the 70s. It's a shame to see what they've become :(
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-31-2017, 03:34 PM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josidiah View Post
This may sound shallow to some, but I like Japanese brands. Yamaha, Tama or Sakae, one of those is gonna sit in my studio when it's ready. I have yet to play a Canopus kit, but that might be included in the list as well.

The main reason why is quite simple: Living here in Japan, I constantly bear witness to how meticulous these people are in whatever craft they choose to follow, from the janitor to the carpenter. No offense intended to any other drum manufacturers, but as I live here, it feels simply natural to respect that work ethic and show my appreciation by using what they build.

Of course, that would mean nothing if the product couldn't deliver. But I play kits by the aforementioned brands multiple times a month, and they've met and exceed my expectation so far. Not that mine are high or anything, but still... :)
That was true with just about everything they made. Unfortunately, most of their stuff has gone to China like most other 'used to be' good stuff. Not made in China is going to be my requirement for anything I buy with respect to gear. That greatly narrows my options and since price plays a big part in what I will be able to purchase even used....what's that term? Oh yeah...it may be a cold day in hell!

Japanese made Tama and Yamaha are high on my list as are other high quality non Chinese made brands. The choices are really slimming down though!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
That was true with just about everything they made. Unfortunately, most of their stuff has gone to China like most other 'used to be' good stuff. Not made in China is going to be my requirement for anything I buy with respect to gear. That greatly narrows my options and since price plays a big part in what I will be able to purchase even used....what's that term? Oh yeah...it may be a cold day in hell!

Japanese made Tama and Yamaha are high on my list as are other high quality non Chinese made brands. The choices are really slimming down though!
What makes you say this? I have a made in Japan Tama Starclassic Maple kit and a made in China Tama Starclassic B/B kit and other than the badges and the vent holes (which are both far superior on the Japan made drums), I can't tell a difference in workmanship. I know that Tama takes great pride in their shop in China. And their quality control is amazing. Even how the drums are shipped (box inside of a box with tons of bubble wrap and other cardboard wedged in corners to make the box stable and keep the drum from moving).

I get why people want the made in Japan stuff. What I don't get is why they would avoid the made in China stuff from the companies like Mapex (their's is made in China right? Maybe I'm wrong) or Tama.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
EssKayKay EssKayKay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 142
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwetschdwummer View Post
I changed from Gretsch to DW.

I played in a band in the 90's (as a guitarist) with a great drummer who had a Gretsch kit that sounded fantastic.
When I started drumming I automatically went with Gretsch.

Over time I realised that DW were more the sort of sound I hear in my head so over time I sold my Gretsch kits (except for my first one which I'll keep forever) and bought a couple of DW Collectors (one for live, one set up in my studio) and a bunch of their snares.

I really should change my username. :)
So ??dwummer - what's your take on Gretsch now, particularly since DW acquisition?

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, I'm just nosy...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,833
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
With that in mind, why do you like certain drum brands or cymbal brands?
This is a really hard question. These days, I go by sound and playability, but I'm self-aware enough to realize that marketing had a lot to do with my tastes early on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Do you think you are truly capable of choosing objectively on just sound?
These days? Yes. I own a set of Basix for gosh sakes! Back in the day? Probably not. However, this is solely due to my lack of experience, and of course tastes change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
If your kit was placed in a huge room full of other kits and you were blindfolded, would you still choose those drums out of the bunch?
It really depends on the drums that I'm comparing it to. If I'm comparing my Pork Pie USA Customs to Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, I like to think that I'd be able to tell what mine sound like. However, if you put a handful of other Keller-shell drum sets and put the same heads and tension on there, I don't know if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
And if the kit/cymbals that you loved the sound of most, but was made by a maker that for some reason you don't like, would you run out and buy them?
I buy whatever sounds good, no matter what the badge says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
What makes you a "X" drum lover?
I like my Pork Pies because they sound good, and I don't know another drummer with a set of them. They are so different than anything I ever see, and I like being different. I like the fact that mine were made back when PP was a small shop and nothing was done overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:44 PM
AzHeat's Avatar
AzHeat AzHeat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
What makes you say this? I have a made in Japan Tama Starclassic Maple kit and a made in China Tama Starclassic B/B kit and other than the badges and the vent holes (which are both far superior on the Japan made drums), I can't tell a difference in workmanship. I know that Tama takes great pride in their shop in China. And their quality control is amazing. Even how the drums are shipped (box inside of a box with tons of bubble wrap and other cardboard wedged in corners to make the box stable and keep the drum from moving).

I get why people want the made in Japan stuff. What I don't get is why they would avoid the made in China stuff from the companies like Mapex (their's is made in China right? Maybe I'm wrong) or Tama.
Some Chinese made products are top notch, due to impeccable quality controls. It's not that they don't make good stuff. It's their openness about "stealing technology" and blatant disregard for intellectual property that makes me do my best to avoid their stuff if I can. I love Mapex Stuff. I'm a big fan of Wuhan for crying out load. I get that companies go to china to keep their prices competitive. At the same time, I avoid their products when I can. Mind you, options are limited. Now, when it comes to buying used, I can't say there's anything wrong with one vs. the other, since "they" already got paid. It may however protect ones resale value, which for me is a pretty big deal, even if I don't offload often.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com