DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Genres that you won't play?

Got a call from a guy on bandmix trying to put together a new band. We talked for about an hour. The guy seemed a little flaky, but I figured it might be worth a shot to get together. So last night, he sent me a sample set list. A few of the songs I'm pretty familiar with, but several were new to me. I listened to them online this morning and this stuff is way out of my wheelhouse. It's pretty much very hard rock, head banging, screaming type of stuff. I was thinking that with everyone in their late 50s - early 60s, that it would be more classic, dance type rock (NOT!).

Now I'm not opposed to any kind of music and listen to a lot of alt-rock, metal, etc. and I think I could play it if I wanted to, but I'm pushing 60 pretty hard. I just don't see myself playing that stuff anymore. Maybe 20 years ago...

I know some of the younger guys here play metal, but what about some of the older guys? Are there some things you just won't play?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Genres that you won't play?

Nothing wrong with not wanting to play certain styles. In this case, I wouldn't play anything that I think would make me unhappy or leave me unfulfilled, especially when you consider the sort of audience it might attract.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Your post made me smile. :-)

When I was young (this sounds weird, to be honest), I loved rock, hard rock, metal, harcore and other, somehow unorthodox, some would say "weird" music. Primus, Fugazi, Henry Rollins etc. I think it is pretty normal that your taste in music changes a lot. You also see it with other famous musicians. In the 1980/90's I loved the stuff Eric Clapton did when he was with Cream. I did not like what he did later as a blues musician. Nowadays I like both things.

20/30 years later, I play jazz, funk, soul, blues and some classic rock (but i really pick the cherrys there). No metal, no hardcore, no crossover-stuff, no hardrock. Just not my cup of tea anymore. Whenever I see a "drummer wanted" thread and read that it's about hardcore, metal, doom-metal, grindcore, punk or hardrock, I pass. I just don't dig that music anymore - which means that I eventually will not perform to the expectations, because the passion for that music is gone. The good thing is: Someone else will usually be there, ready to step in. So this is not something that I need to worry about.

So, to answer your question: Of course there is music that I won't play anymore. Would I be a studio-pro-drummer like e.g. Thomas Lang, it would be a totally different story, I guess. Play what pays the bills.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Your post made me smile. :-)
Play what pays the bills.
Wait! You can pay bills playing?!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Not me, but others ... I hope.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

I think if one is a dyed-in the-wool metal head or 'head banger', you're not going to grow out of that stuff. It always has a place in your life. Such may be the case with the dude you met.
I'm in my 50's and would not play anything harder than say Sabbath or QOTSA.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation. So I avoid hardcore jazz, Speed Metal, and Latin gigs. Those aren't my specialties, and it serves nobody if I limp my way through the material.

Apart from those genres, it doesn't really matter if I like or dislike the music I'm asked to play, or whether I think I'm too old for it. I'm probably too old for most of what I play, but that's just tough for the younger drummers that can't keep up! :)

Bermuda
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Let's see...genres I won't play:

Polka
Norwegian Black Metal

I think that's about it!

:)

Genres I can't play?

That's a whole other list entirely...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation. So I avoid hardcore jazz, Speed Metal, and Latin gigs. Those aren't my specialties, and it serves nobody if I limp my way through the material.

Apart from those genres, it doesn't really matter if I like or dislike the music I'm asked to play, or whether I think I'm too old for it. I'm probably too old for most of what I play, but that's just tough for the younger drummers that can't keep up! :)

Bermuda
I'm like him ^^. Smart enough to know what I don't do well - it has nothing to do with personal preference ;)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Ghostnote

Country, if I can help it.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation.
Indeed, if I feel that I'm not going to serve that music well, then I will bow out.

If it's for fun, then I'll enjoy playing along with some YES, ASIA, or similar rock in general. If it's for money, then I'll play "Mustang Sally" all night long.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just so tired of distortion and power chords. Nope.

Anything that involves a singer with a thick, Southern draw. Nope.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Anything that involves a singer with a thick
Eeeek... I misread your sentence first and fell of the chair laughing... :-)

Anything that involves a singer with a *ick
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

I'd do most things, but yeah, I'm getting old too and don't really like the metal stuff. Some of that I wouldn't be able to do either.

For one offs and theater it doesn't really matter. It's all good fun.

Regardless of style, it's still mostly about the people.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Eeeek... I misread your sentence first and fell of the chair laughing... :-)

Anything that involves a singer with a *ick
LOL. I don't wanna know where you were going with that. ha ha ha!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I think if one is a dyed-in the-wool metal head or 'head banger', you're not going to grow out of that stuff. It always has a place in your life. Such may be the case with the dude you met.
I'm in my 50's and would not play anything harder than say Sabbath or QOTSA.
Sabbath is more metal than the majority of bands who call themselves that now.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
If it's for money, then I'll play "Mustang Sally" all night long.
I don't think anyone could pay me enough to play Mustang Sally all night long.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Bermuda
I share the same sentiment down to the genres.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Senior Consultant

I'm 49 and I still play metal. Over the last 2 years, I've toured Europe twice and South America once with different metal bands. I play rock, pop, funk, blues and a little latin as well.

I don't play country. It's just not my thing. I don't even know any country musicians personally.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I'm 49 and I still play metal. Over the last 2 years, I've toured Europe twice and South America once with different metal bands. I play rock, pop, funk, blues and a little latin as well.

I don't play country. It's just not my thing. I don't even know any country musicians personally.
I'm 53 now and in 2005 I was asked about a tour of Japan with a heavy metal project that was being put together. I hated the music they were doing and I felt like I was too old, so I opted out, but now I kinda wish I'd done it.

Other than the limits of my own abilities, I don't rule anything out genre-wise. I just want to play with good musicians. I never want to invite someone to a show I'm doing and be embarrassed by the quality of the performance.

That said, it would take a DAMNED amazing country artist to get me to do that genre again.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:

Bermuda
Latin. You all seem to have an agreed upon definition of that term. I'm curious as to what that is. I would guess that it basically means Bossa Nova and the like. Anything else that you would throw in that bag?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not opposed to playing anything that I am physically able to. So the genres that Bermuda mentioned are pretty much out for me too, although I love extreme metal and would play it if I could. It's just not my style playing-wise. Classic metal stuff like Maiden is fine.

I probably wouldn't join an exclusively country band. My band plays a couple of Johnny Cash songs and that's fine but I don't think I'd enjoy playing the genre all night. Unless it paid well, lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sKit View Post
Latin. You all seem to have an agreed upon definition of that term. I'm curious as to what that is. I would guess that it basically means Bossa Nova and the like. Anything else that you would throw in that bag?
"Latin" means any music that you're too white to play. For me that'd be anything Brazillian, like real proper Brazillian. I bet I could hold my own with a more American style dance band but I can't do the authentic stuff justice.

Beyond that, I don't have the chops to do Extreme Metal or Math Rock. I'll play the hell out of some boring Hipster Indie music though. Just because I don't dig on it doesn't mean I can't have fun and make some money playing it.

I have held a church gig for years, when I started I didn't know the faintest thing about Christian rock or Protestant praise music, all these years later I can name bands and singers like I know what I'm talking about.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

Cha-Cha & Western.seriously now. got replaced in a band once because the song list was too ...'s , apparently it was my fault. Anything is fair game as long as it is FUN.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't say I'm a terribly proficient jazz player, and I don't have any great ken to do speed metal or any of its kin. But I try very hard to make the music I do play, work; if I don't feel I've got it proficient enough to play live, as Bermuda says, I will politely decline.

Having said that, my current band is a musical chameleon, and we hit classic rock, indie rock, Springsteen-type anthems, lots of Latin (including authentic cumbias and flamenco), rockabilly/outlaw country type tunes, ska, reggae... it's an education every new song we write. I work hard to make it sound good, authentic to the style, and above all to groove.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 AM

If I had to pick, it would probably be a-cappella.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

Since this has ended up being the geezer thread, I'll chime in too. :) I'm still pretty hooked on the 80s rock and metal stuff, but I like a slew of other genres. I keep a double pedal mounted up for those times I feel the mood, but not sure I could actually hang for a whole show! I haven't played that hard and that long in years. I haven't actually gigged much outside of church, but dying to do so for fun. With fun in mind, I think I'll skip on anything not fun, so Mustang Sally is out. Been there, done that....fell asleep!

If it was for pay, then that's a different story, but in the camp with Bermuda, If I can't do the song justice, I'll pass.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Very few things I wouldn't happily play for money, or if it was a good project. Mainly Metal-- I don't play it, and would never be asked to play it. If I'm asked to play with a group doing a style that isn't my main thing, the people asking me know that I'm a jazz drummer, and that they'll be getting an interpretation of the thing, not necessarily the authentic version of it.

Lots of music I wouldn't play if it was just for fun-- though it's actually more about the players than the style.

Quote:
Usually it means Brazilian (bossa nova, samba, baiao) or Cuban (a variety of styles that usually get called "salsa"). Brazilian styles most often get played in jazz groups, Cuban styles usually get played by bands dedicated to that style.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I don't think anyone could pay me enough to play Mustang Sally all night long.
Hey, twenty-five bucks is twenty-five bucks!
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with Bossas, Rhumbas etc that are 'by the book', meaning just the very basic stuff. When I say Latin as I genre I'm not comfortable with, I mean the heavy-duty, almost fusion-y stuff... the drummers who are one-man percussion sections. That's not me.

Same for jazz. I'm fine with spang-a-lang, but I'm no Jeff Hamilton.

Bermuda
Old 03-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
If I had to pick, it would probably be a-cappella.
Some people are just so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o picky!
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 AM
Gold Member

OH! i forgot DOOF DOOF!
Old 03-22-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Usually it means Brazilian (bossa nova, samba, baiao) or Cuban (a variety of styles that usually get called "salsa"). Brazilian styles most often get played in jazz groups, Cuban styles usually get played by bands dedicated to that style.
I guess that's where my confusion comes in. I am used to the Brazilian styles, usually in a Jazz context being called Latin. Where it just seems odd to me for Son and Salsa to be called that and unless you are doing Songo, Timba, or maybe Santana songs the drum kit just doesn't really go there. Keeping in mind that I am a bongocero and conguero before I am a kit player.

alparrott playing cumbias and flamenco. Now that is unusual and more power to ya.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Some people are just so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o picky!
Somebody gets my joke. *yay*
Old 03-22-2017, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess that's where my confusion comes in. I am used to the Brazilian styles, usually in a Jazz context being called Latin. Where it just seems odd to me for Son and Salsa to be called that and unless you are doing Songo, Timba, or maybe Santana songs the drum kit just doesn't really go there. Keeping in mind that I am a bongocero and conguero before I am a kit player.
Yeah, I don't know. It's almost a meaningless word. When somebody tells me we're playing something in a "Latin" feel, I assume they don't know their styles, and it could be anything. I would never automatically assume they mean samba or bossa. Something like Nutville or Manteca is obviously supposed to be some kind of quasi-Cuban feel-- or any tune that alternates between a swing and Latin feel. When somebody says 6/8, 12/8, or 3/4 Latin, they mean that Cuban-type feel. Sometimes they'll say Latin and it's a cha cha.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
alparrott playing cumbias and flamenco. Now that is unusual and more power to ya.
Thanks man. I definitely would not have pegged myself (white prog-rock kid from New England) to be playing cumbias thirty years later, but I live in a community with a lot of Mexican and Central American residents, I'm Mexican-in-law, have picked up Spanish, and my bandleader is Latino. It's shifted my influences and listening habits mightily, and the grooves in the music are undeniable. There is nothing quite so fun as getting every lady in the house moving to the cumbia beat. Look into it, y'all.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey, twenty-five bucks is twenty-five bucks!
$25 for a 4hr gig is $6.25 an hour.

$6.25 an hour doesn't pay the bills. Heck, it will barely buy drum sticks these days.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

I play one song, Help the Poor, with a Bossa Nova beat. That is a fun one, but I think I would have a rough go at playing Latin beats all night. I remember doing a Samba back in High School Drumline too. That was fun.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Anything I find boring or that won't hold my interest. I love listening to blues and reggae but would get bored playing it,it is not active enough.

I'll be 40 at the end of the year and have been back playing for a year and a half after an 18 year break. Metal is where it's at for me. Igor Cavalera and Vinnie Paul are probably my two favorite drummers from when I grew up, (Sepultura and Pantera) and it seems to come through in my playing. I like listening to the slow,sludgey,doom stuff but some of that can be a bit tame and slow drum-wise.

I admire the crazy ability the "extreme metal" guys have but most of that is not pleasing to my ears. I guess it has to groove a bit more than that for me.

I started playing again because a few friends were starting a metal band so that is where my focus is currently but I would love to get down on some funk one day. When I sit behind the kit with no real goal (terrible,I know) "double bass funk" is what I play on my own,haha.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:02 PM
JohnoWorld

I play alt/metal/rock/prog/math rock whatever.

Basically i play this coz it has the largest dynamic range and fits to the music I like (ish). I just can't sit and churn out some simple ostinatos to a dynamically unchallenging song.

Even when I'm practicing along to something more sedate, I'm playing way too much over the top because I guess I get lost within my emotions when playing drums. Because that emotion is often of anger (I really have a great job) I wouldn't get the satisfaction that I do when nailing rim shots.