DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Default Chuck Berry Dies at 90

another icon has passed. RIP

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...-90/ar-BBylpKT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVT65M4mRnM

Berry, a guitarist and singer-songwriter, was considered a founder of rock 'n' roll in the '50s. He had dozens of hits such as "Johnny B. Goode," "Roll Over Beethoven," "Maybellene" and "Sweet Little Sixteen."

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry,' John Lennon once said.

Charles Edward Anderson Berry was born in St. Louis on Oct. 18, 1926. He began his musical career at age 15, when he performed his own version of Jay McShann's "Confessin' the Blues."

In 1948, he married Themetta Suggs and had four children with her.
He influenced such musicians as the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix and Jerry Lee Lewis, among others.

NASA launched the unmanned Voyager I in 1977. Carl Sagan selected Berry's "Johnnie B. Goode" to be included on the record "Earth Sounds and Music" that was stored on the craft. The album would "explain music on Earth to extraterrestrials."

Berry became one of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 03-19-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Ghostnote

Default Re: Chuck Berry Dies at 90

I've seen old live footage of him back in the day and it was raw and heavy as f@&k! Rock on Chuck. Hail, Hail Rock And Roll!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

So sorry to hear this, a great loss.

May his wonderful soul rest in peace.

Last edited by Groov-E; 03-20-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 AM

Such sad news. I remember being probably about 6 or 7 and just listening to Johnny B Goode all the time. Chuck, I hope you have fun jamming up there with the greats.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 AM

Just my opinion, but I think Chuck was more responsible than anyone else in shaping the role of the guitar in rock music. When I was a kid, the first things a guitar player would learn would be "Smoke On the Water" and maybe "Paranoid". But I bet about 50 years or so ago, the first thing a guitar player would learn would be "Johnny B Goode"
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Chuck was a shrewd guy. He knew what the white teens wanted to hear and he served it up. His timing, delivery and content were a bullseye shot.

I heard a Charley Patton song somewhere around 1930 that was unmistakenly the quintessential rock and roll figure. It wasn't in the mainstream, but it had to be percolating for a couple decades before really busting loose.