DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Stage Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Breathe.

The biggest thing I don't do when I get nervous is I forget to breathe right. I hold my breath, concentrate too much on the playing and everything suffers.
Great advice. I remember reading that forcibly exhaling for a short period - sort of mimicking panting, even though you're not winded - exerts a physiological response that relaxes muscles and slows the heart rate. Works well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I only have an occasional issue if I'm not confident about the parts I'm going to play, but I suspect that's simple nervousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
I think a healthy bit of nervousness is good, it keeps us on edge and focused………
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Its good to be nervous, it sharpens you up and makes you play better.
This raises an interesting question: when does nervousness cross over into stage fright? I get the impression from the responses so far that most of us consider them two different things (though on the same continuum - stage fright, I suppose, being the most extreme example of nervousness). I'm almost always a little nervous before a gig, but the concept of 'stage fright' never once occurred to me.

Though I must say getting older has helped a lot; I don't consider music to have the earth-shattering importance that I once did. Lot easier to play when you remember it's just supposed to be fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Stage Fright

I do get pretty uncomfortable with "just me" drum solos. And it does inhibit me. Probably in a bigger way than I'm giving it credit for. So I suppose that would be a form of stage fright. I never looked at it like that before. I'm sure it is a factor with my unhappiness with my solos, now that I am realizing it. But if I'm playing with the band...duck in water. Heck I don't even mind singing or talking to the crowd on the mic but I don't get a mic.