DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Default How do I

record a play along? Everyone is doing it on youtube but I can't record music over the top of my playing, after I have played to it through headphones.

I have tried windows movie maker but synching the two audio files seems like trying to dock the ISS with a satellite.

How are you guys doing it? There is plenty I want to be able to record but it's either me playing on my own, or an attempt with music playing openly through speakers that I then cannot hear when playing the drums over it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How do I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
record a play along? Everyone is doing it on youtube but I can't record music over the top of my playing, after I have played to it through headphones.

I have tried windows movie maker but synching the two audio files seems like trying to dock the ISS with a satellite.

How are you guys doing it? There is plenty I want to be able to record but it's either me playing on my own, or an attempt with music playing openly through speakers that I then cannot hear when playing the drums over it.
If you play along while wearing headphones, and record only the drums, it isn't all that hard to synch up with a soundfile in Movie Maker. Expand the files so they are pretty big - makes them easier to work with.

If you have the original music in the drum recording, even at low volume, I could see that present phase issues trying to match it up. The drums by themselves are not that hard.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 PM

I have while playing managed to do that but only by dragging the audio bar back and forth until it seems to match. However, is there a way of pushing the audio back on a rolling menu of numbers to get it precise, like you can when you trim?

The other issue I have is that it wont let me save a file I can do anything with, I can only save a movie project which can only be played within the program itself.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 AM

How are you recording the audio from the drums? Straight into the camera's mic, or do you have a mic arrangement?

If you have multiple mics going into a mixer, you could be able to run the audio source into another mixer channel and then use an aux send to feed the headphones, while recording the full mix (drums + song).
Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Camera Phone records me, I upload to youtube via phone then download it to PC via youtube (as it's the only way I can). So I have an MP4 of me lpaying

I then download an MP3 of whatever I was playing to,

So I have two files, but synching the music over the top of my MP4 and saving it into a recognisable file are both almost impossible so it seems.

Ive done it on movie maker but its hard to do and I cant save into a recognisable file at the mo as I have a trial version.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I then download an MP3 of whatever I was playing to,
If you're not interested in the video at all (i.e.- only care for the audio), you can probably download some multitracking app where you can load the audio file of the song and record a second track (with the phone's mic) on top of it, while the first track is playing. That way both tracks would be in perfect sync and you could even set the levels between the song and your drum track.

I'm not up to date with music apps for phones but I could help you search for a good one. What kind of phone do you have (iOS or Android)?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Bit confused how I would record using the phone directly to my PC?

I am on Android. I also would quite like the video as it could be anyone playing along.

I have tried playing along to the music playing in the background but the two problems with that are 1) I can barely hear the music so keeping time becomes almost guesswork as I can only reference during quieter parts of the backing track and or my playing and 2) I can't get properly into the song as it just a distant vibration.

I tried it here and you can see what happens :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpbyRDaHT-M&t=61s
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

The easiest way is to get something like a Zoom Q8 HD video camera which has built-in XY stereo mics. It also has 2 XLR inputs for additional mics. Such as one for the kick drum and another for an overhead, snare mic, whatever.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Its not the sound I am concerned with, its being able to synch up two seperate audios on one film, i'e one of me playing and then add in what I was playing along to over the top of the video.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Its not the sound I am concerned with, its being able to synch up two seperate audios on one film, i'e one of me playing and then add in what I was playing along to over the top of the video.
For even less $$$, get a Zoom Q2n $159. I believe it has an 1/8" stereo input jack so you could, for example get a splitter for an iPod or your computer output, sending one to your headphones and the other to the camera and record everything in sequence. No worries about syncing anything.

Zoom Q2n
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM

Get a cheap or free DAW and uploads both files to a mix, level and trim them then export it as one. Then sync up audio with the video and you're done!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Windows Movie Maker can 'Save as' into various useful file formats. I think the older version has more features than the current one, so make sure you've got the better version.

Otherwise - Reaper multitrack audio software can edit videos with multiple audio tracks. Limited video features, huge audio capabilities. Free download, can be purchased cheaply once you're using it.
There are Youtube clips which demonstrate the video features.