DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Logistics - Packaging

Hi guys,

Once again I find myself thirsty for your knowledge.

Here is what I am selling :

24x14 bd
16x16 floor
14x14 floor
12x8 tom
14x6.5 snare

Is this necessarily a 3 package shipment ?

My solution so far :

Snare in Bass drum
Tom in 16 floor
14 floor on its own

What is your take on this ? Fully insured and bomb-proof packaging and then some of course.

Thank you all again.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Logistics - Packaging

Depending on the mounting system on the 12" tom, you can package the 24/16/12 all russian doll style in one box and the two 14" drums in the same box. If the mount on the 12" gets in the way of fitting it inside the 16", just remove it and have who ever is buying it re-install the mount.

SOLD: PDP Concept Maple 12/16/24
Old 03-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

I have shipped a lot of drums, and have the following advice:

- No more than two drums in a box, nested or not. Not a good idea because of weight. If the boxes are really heavy...they will be handled roughly.

- If you are putting a drum inside the bass drum, take the claws, t-rods off....take the hoops off the bass drum. Place lots of bubble wrap on the floor of the box -> then place the bass drum on one of the heads to protect the bearing edge. Tape the head to the bubble wrapped shell. Place heavily bubble wrapped drum inside bass drum - stuff with more and more packaging ,preferably bubble wrap. NO RIMS MOUNT on the drum you are putting inside!!! Wrap that separately. Then wrap the hoops with foam tape - place them both on the drum, (but not against a head, just around the shell) resting on the top of the lugs (wrapped so as to not harm finish) - then place other head on the bass drum. Pack every corner with bubble wrap and top and sides. If you don't do this, you are running the risk of breaking the hoop. I sometimes also remove the spur arms and wrap them separate. You can put the parts in large Ziplock bags and then bubble wrap those as well.

- If the drums are heavy drums to begin with - then forget nesting. Bite the bullet and put each drum in its own box. OR - get a tall box and put a snare and floor tom together. Separate with cardboard. Empty drum head boxes work well.

I have seen all kinds of damage drum improperly nested drums during shipping. The extreme is to remove ALL hardware from the shells...then nesting is easy. But your buyer has to be OK with this. It is a lot of work but if it were me, I'd rather spend a half hour per drum than to have splintered shells.

I say it takes a good three hours to package a 5 piece kit properly.

[14 CREW]
Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Administrator

UPS used to require a box in a box. Drum in the first box with 2 inches of packing all around. The first box into a second box with 2 inches of packing between the two boxes. Seems like a lot but drums are light, get thrown around like they are full of pillows. See what UPS would charge to pack them for you or put one drum in a box. Too many horror stories on this site alone as to drum box damage.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

After 2.5 hours, the bass and snare
Inside are almost ready. 12-14-16
each in their individual box. I love drums and peace
of mind more than money thankfully because that one is going to cost me !

2 Hours more Tonight And I should be done.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Guys, quick question about floor tom legs. I individually wrapped them than put them securely together in a buble wrap baggy, I am just wondering the best place to put them in the box. I'm doing the box in a box method for the Floor toms.

Edit : last question. Has anyone ever removed the GTS tom mount ? I took off the tension rod on top and the screw underneath, I tried removing the rubber gaskets but they are tight. Any ideas ? Would be easier to ship inside the Floor Tom rather than adding a fourth box to the shipment.

Last edited by Groov-E; 03-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 PM

Don't use UPS! I've shipped and received a lot of drums/kits over the years, and have had a few issues with them in the past as far as damaged shipments. I quit using UPS entirely, in favor of FedEx (FedEx ground is also usually cheaper than UPS), and I haven't had one shipping issue in years. Until...

I recently got a bass drum shell sent to me, and the shipper went to UPS... The drum was packed fine, but UPS managed to gouge the box in just the right spot to take out a large chunk of the bearing edge. This is an old, and not easy to come by shell, so I can't even get a replacement. Fortunately, I know a guy that can fix it. But, the only way is to use wood filler, and shape it to the right bearing edge angle (no way to repair the wood). Also fortunately, this is a gigging kit, so it's not a huge deal, as long as the drum still functions properly. But still, screw UPS. I have never had an issue with FedEx. There's a reason UPS chose brown as their signature color.

Last edited by cutaway79; 03-17-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Cutaway79_that SUKS man! I would be really upset if I received that drum. Especially considering the age etc.

Interesting comments on UPS... I have recently noticed more shipping issues-damages, with UPS than ever before. It is like they started teaching their drivers how to damage stuff.

I have received bent heads, gouged stands, crushed boxes with fragile items. I swear they must be intentionally stepping on every box in the truck. At the same time NO seeing this with Fed Ex or USPS...

I am afraid to even order anything online anymore, seems safer to choose "pick up in store" so I can examine the item in person.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 PM

I recently received a well-packaged throne via Fed Ex that was mauled - but they all manage to do it somehow. Over the decades - my wife has sent flutes - started with Ups - they bungled eventually - ditto Fed Ex - used DHL until they mauled a package. All we can do is insure those priceless irreplaceable items and hope for the best.

It is a roll of the dice. They are all staffed by humans that are, like the rest of us, overworked/under paid.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 AM

That's the trouble with selling drums. Shipping is expensive. Unless you can replicate the original box and packing that the new kit came in, it is an increased risk to ship any drum with it's hoop or rim removed. Bearing edges are delicate when exposed and it does not take much to ruin them. Fully assembled drums are less damage-prone.

But boxing up and shipping with all the rims and hoops in place adds volume and expense. Local sales are best, where the new owner drives to your place to get them.

I live on O'ahu. You pretty much forever keep whatever you bought, just due to there being few drummers on the island, and because shipping to the mainland is more expensive than if you were there too.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

That's unfortunately the risk in shipping drums.
The best advice I can give is to make sure you use a sturdy box, with FedEx/UPS/DHL/USPS they stack the smaller boxes on top of the bigger ones no matter what the weight is, so you might have a smaller box weighing 80 pounds on top of your drum box and if you use a weak box it won't hold up to all the bouncing around in the truck.
Wrap the drums up so that they can't move around in the box especially if you have drums inside other drums in the box, when the box is sealed up you should be able to shake it without hearing a bunch of movement inside.
Also make sure you get insurance! It's really not that much more but can save your ass, especially if you're selling drums and they get damaged.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:16 AM
Administrator

You may want to read through this:

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...es/how_to.html
Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Alright, sold !

Not as easy as it might seem, especially since there was a transnational component to the deal. Stellar buyer, I really got lucky. Donated 15% of the proceeds to charity the day upon completion.

12hrs packaging + shopping around for shipping.

100$++ packaging material. (boxes, bubble-wrap, foam, and more exotically used camping foam mattresses).

Lessons :

1- packing & shipping a drum kit is no laughing matter, I have renewed respect for the musical instruments business;

2- buying expensive kits for speculation purposes or because you get an incredible deal on them is risky unless you plan on keeping them forever or if you live in an area where there actually is a market for high end drums (thinkk NY, TN or LA);

3- if you have contacts in the shipping business, keep them happy, they rule the economy;

4- Despite this overall positive experience, I'll be sticking with the gear I have for a while.

Thanks for the help !