DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Default Are those good songs for a beginner ?

Hi,

First post here. I want to hi to everybody. I just started taking drum lesson. All i have is a westbury kit that i changed the cymbals,ride,hi-hat. Changed most of the hardware. Still have original drum head and snare. My drum is out of tune.

My question is i have a few songs that i would like to learn on the drum and i wonder if they're any good for a beginner. I startd my first lesson with a bit of the cramps - Surfin' dead. I can keep the beat on that song. Also my teacher showed me a bit of Stairway to heaven. He wants me to pratice the fills. He wants me to learn by ear but i just can't. I read sheet music most of the time.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven
Eagles - Hotel California
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Ramones - Pet sematary
Ramones - Poison Heart
Dokken - Dream warriors
Dokken - Into the fire
CCR - WHo'll stop the rain
Leatherwolf - Alone in the night
Alien - Brave new love
Lynyrd skynyrd - free bird
Van halen - Human beings

Some Iron Maiden, Some Misfits. Some Black Sabbath. Iron Maiden is the reason i wanted to learn music. I also like music that appear on movie soundtrack.

Here is my drum teacher playing on my set. I always videotape him. I can then watch during the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewH8ZyHpYkY
Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Are those good songs for a beginner ?

After seeing that, I think I'd find a new teacher.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Hi there! You shouldn't have said your drums are out of tune, now this will be another thread about tuning :)
About the songs, this is very personal. Start with your favorite songs, the ones you always wanted to drum along to, and see how it goes. More importantly, record yourself. If it's a disaster, maybe start with something easier. 3 or 4 songs will sound not too bad, work on those first until the recordings sound good to you. This can take a month or two.
Most of all, have fun!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:31 PM

Teacher needs a metronome and a good teacher himself...IMO
Old 03-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bast1981 View Post
I startd my first lesson with a bit of the cramps -
You are using muscles in a way that they are not used to being used. Regardless of the songs you play to, feeling a bit of a burn in the arms/wrists/fingers is alright - but a sign to take a break - take out the garbage - smell the roses - clean the cat litter box - then come back for *a little* more burn - rinse and repeat. Cramping muscles mean you've gone too far. imho ...

Have fun - pain is NO gain - zero nada nothing - to your drumming. Play relaxed above all - rest at the point you begin to feel tension.

Use ear protection NOW!

my 2 cents

edit: listened to yt - +1 on the above posts - consider another teacher ...

Last edited by 60's Drummer; 03-12-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add opinion of teacher
Old 03-12-2017, 07:10 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Is it true they are out of tune. The floor tom sounds like a toy. there was no turning key with the set. Ordered one off ebay.

It was like the first time the drum teacher heard the song. He does fills that are not in the song.

I will try the trick of recording myself and see how i do.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60's Drummer View Post
You are using muscles in a way that they are not used to being used. Regardless of the songs you play to, feeling a bit of a burn in the arms/wrists/fingers is alright - but a sign to take a break - take out the garbage - smell the roses - clean the cat litter box - then come back for *a little* more burn - rinse and repeat. Cramping muscles mean you've gone too far. imho ...

Have fun - pain is NO gain - zero nada nothing - to your drumming. Play relaxed above all - rest at the point you begin to feel tension.

Use ear protection NOW!

my 2 cents
I do feel cramps while playing. What i was saying however is that the first song i started with is Surfin' dead by the band The Cramps. English is not my mother tongue. SOmetimes there can be confusing

You are right about using ear protection. I still have rigning in my ears from yesterday. PLayed for about 1 hour and a half
Old 03-12-2017, 09:42 PM

I tried what you said. I recorded myself trying to play the part just before the solo on Stairway to Heaven. I know i'm all over the place. Here is the result

https://youtu.be/6l0FWRUl1y0
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Hi - first off you Westbury kit doesn't sound too bad, so don't get down on your drums.
Secondly, before learning any songs, I suggest you just work on keeping a very steady beat, just one beat, different tempos with bass drum+hi hats +snare.
Forget about all the other drums and 'fills', for at least a couple weeks. Work to a metronome.
If you prefer to play along to songs choose much simpler ones. If you like CCR, try Born on the Bayou, a very nice steady beat.
Your hihat looks like it is placed too far away from you as well. Enjoy.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

OK you're at the very beginning, level one. Forget the fills to begin with. Start with a simple beat and count while you play, at a relaxed tempo: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Do it many times and record. It should sound like a fluid relaxed beat without hiccups. Once you reach that, you can think of adding a simple fill. The next objective is to stay fluid without hiccups even with the fill.
While doing all this there's the technique to manage :)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

After seeing the video, my advice is to work on timing, such as simple beats....1-2-3-4 stuff. Play them back to evaluate. Also, loosen up, you're playing style is too restricted. Relax! Work on some basic rudiments...get those sticks rebounding properly. Don't concern yourself with effectively playing to songs at the moment. And when you're ready, start with easy stuff. Think AC/DC Back In Black....stuff like that.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

If you really want to be able to play a song, AC/DC is a good place to start. Not a lot of fills/frills.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 PM

I agree that the teacher is not too experienced himself. Even if it was the first time he heard the song, he should be able to keep the beat. Also, it seems to me (from what I read) that his teaching method basically relies on imitation: "look at how I do it, and then do it yourself". That might work with some students but not with all. I also agree that you should not be working on fills at this point. I'm not a teacher but I would focus first on keeping a steady beat and some basic kick/snare/hat coordination (with 8th notes).

Ask him if he can teach you to read drum sheet music, and if he can help you write down the drum part of one of those songs. If he cannot do sheet music, you might have to look for another teacher.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

I got through 30 seconds of the video. Get yourself a qualified instructor.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Superman
This message has been deleted by Superman. Reason: redunant
Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Can anyone identify the grip that the instructor is using with his right hand for the last 30 secs of the video? Not familiar with that at all.

The video is so far off from what I'd expect from a drum teacher, that it feels like this is a wind-up. If it's not, then the advice here is good; keep it simple, learn the basic 4/4 rock rhythms, don't stress about your kit or tuning, and maybe book a lesson with another teacher to make up your own mind on whether you should continue with this guy.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I tried what you said. I recorded myself trying to play the part just before the solo on Stairway to Heaven. I know i'm all over the place. Here is the result

https://youtu.be/6l0FWRUl1y0
Get yourself a piece of carpet to put under your set. That way it won't slide around.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 AM

I want to say a big thank you to all of you. You have all been really nice answering my questions. I even had someone send me a pm in my mother tongue.

I will go on itunes to download that CCR song "born on the bayou".

What i did is i've got the Led Zeppelin drum book off amazon. I'm not good to improvise at all. Seems like i can only play with sheet music. I guess that's why i seem to uptight. I want to play exactly as they play it.

There is a piece of carpet under my drum. The hi-hat does not really fit on it. It's a small house so my kit is cramped in a corner.

What i did is i went to facebook and posted an ad for a home lesson drum teacher. This gentlement answered me. I pay him 40$ a week for lessons.

If you're interested here is a video of my teacher showing me Stairway to heaven on my kit

https://youtu.be/URH35tmQSW8

I praticed something else. The song "Brave new love" from the band Alien. I play the bass drum everytime but put the snare on every 2. Just to pratice keeping the beat.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

It's never too early to play along to music or with others.

You don't have to do it eaxactly like the record. What you do is learn song structure and adapt to your skill level.

I'm all for reading and learning the fundamentals, but ear training is also a fundamental skill. The keyword for that is patience.

As for a teacher. I'd try a few different ones. I'm certainly flexible in my approach, but general content, learnng traditional fundamentals all goes along with the other stuff. It's important. I teach a bit more independence than most do in the begining, but it ties into a system. Methids are available everywhere. A teachers job is to guide, pick out the right stuff and combine it so it works for you. Just gong through songs simlation the way they learned themselves as teenagers is not rally teaching. I've taken over students from teachers iiek that and it's a real pain to change attitudes and getting back to working on the fundmentals that are holding them back. Better get used to doing some extra exercises from the get go.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Are you guys watching the video thinking the op is playing? That's the "teacher".
Old 03-13-2017, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I want to play exactly as they play it.
Of course, but if you try to play every single note, you cannot finish the song!

It would be better if you simplify what is being done on songs, and become able to play the whole song. Then, after you can do this, it's now time to add fills and other complex things.

It's good to read music, but it's also necessary to learn to play by ear. One method is not better than the other; you need both skills.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Whatever method you use, the goal should ALWAYS be (I'm quoting Tommy Igoe here) to play simple things very well.
You get zero points for playing complicated stuff poorly. Nobody's interested to hear that.
Once you play something very well you can gradually increase the difficulty.

I guess we all said the same thing ten times in a row :)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

bast1981: There are many songs that exist that are very easy to play the drums to. Some of them were mentioned here.
CCR songs are some easy ones. Like this one: https://youtu.be/5BmEGm-mraE

I wish I could be there to provide you with a good start. It pains my heart that I'm not with you to help you on your journey.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM
JohnoWorld

Play what songs you know and like, ones that make you air drum.

That way you're halfway there before you learn to play them properly.

I recommend Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (just ignore the intro at the mo but the rest is pretty straight on with a few nice easy tom fills)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I wish I could be there to provide you with a good start. It pains my heart that I'm not with you to help you on your journey.
Man does that resonate! Don't undervalue your service, Mr Jim - even if the zeros and ones of our digital communications are our only offering - they are today's reach out and touch someone ... (barf) er, excuse me.

Shine by Collective Soul is one drummer's offering that i place at the top of my 'every drummer should learn each and every note' groove. Is there such a thing as a 'perfect' drum take? This could be it in my mind.

bast1981 - do not neglect slow songs - slow tempos can be more difficult than fast ones in many instances ... and where exact alignment is easiest to discern. Crank "Shine" and make the drums disappear by being right on top of whats recorded.

My rise and, well, wake up song to start my day.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

I think one of the hardest things to do when it comes to playing any instrument is just getting started. I commend you on taking the big leap into this! It's difficult, and the beginning is the most nerve wracking. Keep it up! It will pay off.

AC/DC is a great band to learn. Heck, don't even worry about the fills. Just play the basic beats along with the song. If you are having a hard time hearing the music, I'd get a set of in-ear monitors or noise-cancelling headphones and plug into your phone or listening device and play along. Maybe start with "Back in Black" or songs of that ilk. Concentrate on playing steady and confident, then move on from there.

I'd drop that teacher like he was last week. After two weeks, you should be able to save your money and get some decent headphones.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I got through 30 seconds of the video. Get yourself a qualified instructor.
I agree with this! Maybe he's a rudimental drummer, not familiar with a set?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

I suggest getting hold of a book called "La batterie intégrale" by Daniel Pichon. Should be available on amazon.fr. It's a fantastic book in any language - really comprehensive, with diagrams, explanations and a CD. A lot of it will be way too difficult right now, but there are easy things in it too, and it's an excellent general education.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Great trolling, Bast1981 !

Very entertaining. Well done!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Beater View Post

Yeah, after this thread broke my heart and I wished so much that I could help him; today I started thinking the same thing as you.
But I'm still not sure what to think.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Hmm well possibly... probably maybe... nice job ;) I'm an easy target :)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Yeah, after this thread broke my heart and I wished so much that I could help him; today I started thinking the same thing as you.
But I'm still not sure what to think.
Doesn't matter either way. You gave an honest and genuine response. If this fella is on the level, then great. If not, then someone else will take advantage of your advice of CCR songs for beginners.

I clearly don't know what "trolling" is, because I thought it was getting people riled up or agitated on the Internet with ridiculous posts, but there's no evidence of discord here. Ho hum.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone's Dad View Post
Doesn't matter either way. You gave an honest and genuine response. If this fella is on the level, then great. If not, then someone else will take advantage of your advice of CCR songs for beginners.

I clearly don't know what "trolling" is, because I thought it was getting people riled up or agitated on the Internet with ridiculous posts, but there's no evidence of discord here. Ho hum.
Yes, you are correct! When I see someone starting out playing the drums I very much want to help them start out the right way. I guess I'm a sucker for that. If I'm not careful, I'll be spending all of my time giving free drum lessons. I just feel like I have an obligation to share my God given talent with others. I'm only now, after playing for 65 years, starting to make a little pocket money playing drums.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Beater View Post

I just looked at the first video of the teacher now which isn't exactly up to snuff. The video I originally responded to was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0F...ature=youtu.be

I'm beginning to have my doubts as well on the trolling theory when looking at the above video again. Nobody is that bad. I've had people sit behind my drums who have never, ever played before and after I showed them a few basic things, they sounded better.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM

Has to be a windup. Funny as fu though
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Actually I have done some digging and this seems genuine. The youtube channel and description matches the OP plus it was uploaded this week.

I fear that someone, or both of them, may have some sort of issues though if you get my drift so we should probably tread carefully. At the very least that teacher, who clearly has never played drums before, probably needs checking out as I wouldn't trust him with anything let alone a drum kit.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone's Dad View Post
Can anyone identify the grip that the instructor is using with his right hand for the last 30 secs of the video? Not familiar with that at all.
Lol C'mon man haven't you noticed that's the new "hip" way to play. All the new cats are doing it.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Get yourself a real drum teacher man.

There are plenty of schools out there with qualified teachers. If you want to pay less and are flexible with your hours, you can always post an add that you are looking for a drum teacher, at a local university.

Don't mess around with that, proper technique, basics, are the fundamentals on which you will learn to play. By observing that video, your "teacher" is nowhere near the mastery of his instrument. No matter if he's never heard the song, or if he's fooling around. Posture, technique, fluidity, feel, those things don't lie.