DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

Default DW for $23K?

Was at the local music store the other day and saw a set of DW drums on sale for $10K.

Sticker shock for most poor drummers out there ,but list price was $23K.

You can buy a new car for $23K.

I mean really?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:21 AM

Default Re: DW for $23K?

Not a fair comparison.
You can buy a rare coin for $23k too.
You can buy all the ingredients that the local bakery
needs for the week with $23k.

Apples and oranges man.
:-)
Old 03-11-2017, 04:40 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Very expensive apples. Buy enough trees to start an orchard
Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Was at the local music store the other day and saw a set of DW drums on sale for $10K.

I mean really?
So don't buy it! Is this a bitch about DW prices or a sycophants attempt to express what he thinks everyone else here agrees with. You keep insisting they're overpriced, while people with money keep the DW company at capacity. I guess all the people with money must be stupid? Rich people dumb, poor people smart! Yay! Good for you.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much. It's plywood, for Pete's sake. Guru turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less, and that's not even touching on the good metal and spun fiberglass sets that are available. All of which beat the heck out of ply drums.

Get real.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:08 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much. It's plywood, for Pete's sake. Guru turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less, and that's not even touching on the good metal and spun fiberglass sets that are available. All of which beat the heck out of ply drums.

Get real.
I just puked in the back of my mouth a little. You drink the Kool- Aid. Really? Do you own a Guru or A DW? I'd love love to hear your expert thoughts and not just a rehash of what you've read here. "By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much". Guru "turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less".
Old 03-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

A drum or anything else, is worth what someone will pay for it.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I just puked in the back of my mouth a little. You drink the Kool- Aid. Really? Do you own a Guru or A DW? I'd love love to hear your expert thoughts and not just a rehash of what you've read here. "By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much". Guru "turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less".
There's a reason people are willing to pay extra for stave, segment, steambent, and hollowed-log drums. If you're curious as to why, take a trip over to the Drum Gear subforum on this site and read up on it. No I don't own any Guru drums, but I have a steambent rosewood drum that I definitely enjoy. Ply drums are a compromise, not an ideal to pay top dollar for. There are so many other options available these days.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
A drum or anything else, is worth what someone will pay for it.
Until they find something better for less....I'm just saying.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:49 AM
Gold Member

DW and others are producing drums not unlike the collectors plates you see on late night sales channels.
Look ,we have a limited number run of Elvis douche bag collector plates and when they run out ,that's it!
So invest your 401K.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I mean really?
554, can you tell me a little more about the kit? Finish, number of drums, etc.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Get real.
Let's pretend the Sticks4drums for DW isn't here. How about that fg kit you got. I really think, after seeing their kit with the Inde hardware, that those will be my next purchase.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 AM
The SunDog
This message has been deleted by The SunDog.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I've played a lot of Guru kits. I own a Guru snare (an early one). I've played DW kits.

Nope. No comparison. DW make nice drums - but they don't make sets that are worth $10K. $10K is just profit margin. Guru kits aren't $10K.

As for the spun fibreglass and the metal kits - they do take a lot of getting right. Fibreglass is tricky to work with and you don't have any margin for error with metal. Plywood is an easy material to work with and the manufacture of the shells is fantastically simple on an industrial scale.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Well, prices are relative. If you paid 23k for a kit, and you work a lot, your car would be priced accordingly as well. You'd at least be driving a 60k minivan ;)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

If the entire DW kit was made the way they do their solid-shell snares, it would be more interesting, but stilll not worth 10K. Maybe 7K if it were totally free-floating in addition, like Sleishmans or Page/Hudson.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Let's pretend the Sticks4drums for DW isn't here. How about that fg kit you got. I really think, after seeing their kit with the Inde hardware, that those will be my next purchase.
They're ridiculously resonant. There's a reason Hal Blaine fell in love with the sound.

I'm actually working with a guy who is producing prototype hardware for a totally free-floating kit right now. In the meanwhile, I'm thinking about trying to get Sleishman to let me buy some of their free-floating hardware to put the Blaemire shells in. Even more resonance can't hurt.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Well, prices are relative. If you paid 23k for a kit, and you work a lot, your car would be priced accordingly as well. You'd at least be driving a 60k minivan ;)
I don't know if they make 60K minivans, but maybe you could have it pimped out and souped up. Maybe some spinners on the rims and a racing engine/tranny/suspension.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know if they make 60K minivans, but maybe you could have it pimped out and souped up. Maybe some spinners on the rims and a racing engine/tranny/suspension.
If I spent 58K on that kind of nonsense for my car, I'd have a 60K vehicle...
Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

List price / MSRP is a tired, tired scam. The sad thing is that it still works, like pricing something at $1.99 instead of $2.00. People will say "OMG it's on sale for half price!" when MSRP is $200 and it's "on sale" for $100. They'll say "it's only $1!" when something is marked $1.99.

So the real price is, and always was, $10k. Even if I had the money I don't think there's a type of kit I'd pay that much for ... even if it was some hand-made rare wood hollow log or whatever, I'd be too scared to ever play it. Can you imagine if you scratched the finish?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

the hate on DW drums around here is tiresome. They are just drums, you no likee, no buyee. I don't own any so have no horse in this race but a Black Beauty is also overpriced IMO.... but there are few rants on that here.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Guys, these high numbers are much more a product of a falsely high RRP accompanied by an equally inflated discount %. This is merely a marketing strategy to have the gullible believe they're getting a "deal". It's rife in USA marketing, where a significant deep "discount" is expected as the norm. Of course, it's nothing of the sort, it's just sales BS - pure & simple.

My advise, don't get hung up on "features". Just because something is made in a certain way, or from a certain material, is close to meaningless in isolation. It's how those features are combined that matters much more - the holy grail being an instrument that delivers greater than the sum of it's parts.

For example, just because something is "free floating" doesn't mean that the drum will deliver an extended fundamental, or even deliver (the largely useless) increased head sustain. No matter how isolated the free floating mechanism may be from the shell, it's overall mass still has an affect on the resultant characteristics. Until we reach a point where shells are suspended magnetically in a total vacuum, that will continue to be the case.
The experiments are ongoing, and interesting. You're right that the results are not as simple or predictable as you would expect. I just wish I had more time to play with this stuff, but 50 hours of work a week plus 2 kids under 3 keep me busy.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
the hate on DW drums around here is tiresome. They are just drums, you no likee, no buyee. I don't own any so have no horse in this race but a Black Beauty is also overpriced IMO.... but there are few rants on that here.
It's just like every other case where people go crazy for something, and keep telling you how great it is, and you don't see it (at least in my case).

I mean, I don't think they're bad or anything, but they don't sound special to my ear, they don't have any great history to trade on, but they are mad full of themselves.

The best comparison I can make is to that 'rapper' Drake. Some people think he's great. To me he's just wheelchair Jimmy from Degrassi with corporate backing :-P
Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 PM
The SunDog

My whole point about the open and accepted dislike of DW and DW owners that goes on in this forum is that it's nauseatingly sycophantic. Do you really hate DW, or is your desire to be accepted by the cool kids what's really driving you. People will say "they're just a ply shell" as if that instantly makes them worthless. Those same people will turn around and rave about Sonor, Yamaha, and Brady, which by the way, are also ply shells. I think that among ply shells there are a handful that do it better. Yes Sonor, Yes Brady, and yes DW too. I'd also like to point out that these other ply shell companies carry obscene prices. On par with or higher than DW. Look, 99% of the market is ply drums with only a handful of companies offering something different. Of those only a few are making anything exceptional. Dunnet and Trick are making amazing metal drums, Craviotto, solid steam bent, and Guru with thin staves. Again these drums carry a hefty price tag. So what's the real beef with DW? They make the highest quality, best sounding ply shells. Equaled by others surely, but not bested. I get the strong suspicion that most of it what is perceived. That they are somehow the evil empire because they're successful. The rest of the time most of the anti DW crowd is just aping what they see as the popular opinion. Either way it's indigestible tripe from people who don't know how to form their own thoughts. The big tell all is how much hate is heaped on them by people that don't actually possess a set. An almost equal amount of praise is heaped on another brand around here and again, not from owners of them. Let's all try and gain some perspective. I feel I have the right to be here and not deal with so much open bias and constant negative attacks.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have to agree with SunDog. If you don't like something move on. Why waste time looking for the negative. The "I don't like DW" threads are getting old. Posting about the price of an expensive set is not a problem per se, but why not put it in the Drum section with a photo. Commenting on the price does not have to be negative, but we all know thats where it's going to end up.

Here is a part of the forum rules, which I know you get tired of seeing, but it only makes sense. I guess why find something bad when there is so much good out there.

1) Absolute Respect and Zero Tolerance

Please do not start a new thread to discuss how much you don't like someone or something. If you have a chip on your shoulder or an ax to grind, this is not the place for you.

I realize this thread was not started to complain about DW drums per se, but again that's where it ends up going.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with SunDog as well on this matter. If you don't like the price, then show your dislike with your wallet. Go buy something else. Very simple.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 PM

23K for a DW? Are the ply layers adhered with unicorn tears?

Maybe if it was a double kick kit, 4 up, 2 down and they put $1700 cash in each drum for muffling........but I'm sure opinions vary......

To each their own I guess.......
Old 03-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Guys, the "list price" was $23k. Who here has ever paid list price for any of their gear? List price means nothing. The retail price was $10k. If $10k is too much money for you, perhaps this $8400 5 piece Sakae kit is in more in line with your budget:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/drums/dr...-black-hw.html

I understand that $8400 is a lot of money (especially for a display model), so lets bring it back to reality and bring up this much more affordable $7k 4 piece Yamaha kit:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/yamaha-p...tural-ash.html

4 pieces is a bit "small" for most people, so lets get a more affordable $7k 5 piece Tama Star kit in this discussion:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/tama-sta...aqua-blue.html

But we are talking about how overpriced DW is, so lets at least do an apples to apples comparison:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FYa6wAodbBAEnw

Wait, what???

Last edited by Tommy_D; 03-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Buy and play what ya want. Be happy with what you have. Why grouse about something you may not want to buy when you should be practicing? ;-)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Guys, the "list price" was $23k. Who here has ever paid list price for any of their gear? List price means nothing. The retail price was $10k. If $10k is too much money for you, perhaps this $8400 5 piece Sakae kit is in more in line with your budget:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/drums/dr...-black-hw.html

I understand that $8400 is a lot of money (especially for a display model), so lets bring it back to reality and bring up this much more affordable $7k 4 piece Yamaha kit:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/yamaha-p...tural-ash.html

4 pieces is a bit "small" for most people, so lets get a more affordable $7k 5 piece Tama Star kit in this discussion:
http://www.drumcenternh.com/tama-sta...aqua-blue.html

But we are talking about how overpriced DW is, so lets at least do an apples to apples comparison:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FYa6wAodbBAEnw

Wait, what???
Good post.............................it would be nice to at least see the drums.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 PM

I took this thread as humor personally, if others are taking the jabs more seriously, consider mine light hearted........

While the "list" is certainly good for a bit of a laugh.......if you aren't buying it, who gives a shit?

It's all good.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

Man, you want to talk about crazy pricing ... look at how much the Roland TD-50 is up to!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder 42 View Post
Good post.............................it would be nice to at least see the drums.
The links not only provide many photos, but also list the details of the drums.

They were meant to be clicked.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I agree with SunDog as well on this matter. If you don't like the price, then show your dislike with your wallet. Go buy something else. Very simple.
I am also with Sundog on this one, we just had a conversation about this 2 days ago.

Overpriced is a subjective term.

Plys, steambent, segmented. Blah !
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Plys, steambent, segmented. Blah !
I always wonder if it actually means anything to the listener, in the average gig situation. Because we're really close to the kit we can hear little changes in sound due to different properties. And if you mic your kit it probably can be noticed ... but if you mic a pandeiro correctly it can sound like a 22" kick.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The links not only provide many photos, but also list the details of the drums.

They were meant to be clicked.
Understood that. To be clear, was talking about the OP original drums.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I always wonder if it actually means anything to the listener, in the average gig situation. Because we're really close to the kit we can hear little changes in sound due to different properties. And if you mic your kit it probably can be noticed ... but if you mic a pandeiro correctly it can sound like a 22" kick.
All true. No disagreement here.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

I'll post a photo next time I get over to the store.
It's a DW exotic of some sorts.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
All true. No disagreement here.
Amen. The tones our drums produce are largely noticed just by us, or perhaps other musicians or sound engineers. The average bloke in an audience can't tell and isn't noticing.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'm curious to see how much Neil Peart pays for his DW kits?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll post a photo next time I get over to the store.
It's a DW exotic of some sorts.
That would be great, 554. Many thanks!