DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Ideas on Reducing Volume of Drums

I am looking for an inexpensive way to make my house a little more livable for my housemates.I am planning to insulate the roof (between the beams) of my unfinished basement with Roxul. Then hang a moving blanket horizontally below the Roxul. Then hang moving blankets vertically to create a small room and line those blankets with Roxul. Roxul is something builders use to insulate homes from fire and noise.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Ghostnote

Default Re: Ideas on Reducing Volume of Drums

Your plan will definitely deaden the sound within the room itself, but unfortunately will probably only accomplish maybe about a 3dB reduction in volume outside the room. What you are proposing amounts to acoustic treatment, not sound proofing. They are two very different things. For sound isolation you need three things: mechanical isolation (room within a room or isolation clips/resilient channel), mass (layers of drywall, concrete, brick), and air-tight construction. When it comes to effective sound proofing, inexpensive is not one of the descriptors which comes to mind.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Roxul is fairly expensive stuff and depending on how much you need to get, it could cost quite a lot of money. If that's the case, it would be cheaper for you to buy a second kit, putting on Remo Silent Stroke heads and getting Zildjian L80 cymbals.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Instead of treating the room, treat the kit. I really love the Zildjian low volume cymbals and the Remo Silent Stoke heads or the Aquarium Super Pads

Let me explain this once more..
Snares are like handbags,
Cymbals are like shoes!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever you put up, make certain that your modifications give you easy access to plumbing, heating, electrical, sewage, and datacomm lines.

I'm in a situation where the previous homeowner out up 1x4 slats over the ceiling joists. Even had recessed lighting.

In terms of acoustics, they're great for the room. In terms of isolating the basement from the rest of the house, they suck.

But more importantly, they're fucking nailed to the joists, so every time I want to run or repair a pipe/cable, I need to pull out a few dozen nails to take the ceiling down. This sucks. He could have just put two backing boards, hinges, and sliding locks on them and it would have been a world of difference.

So remember, no matter what you install, make sure you still have easy access to the plumbing/electrical.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Rockwool insulation will help immensely. But forget about doing the entire basement, just do a 10x10 area or so above the drums. Then setup a doubled draped cube around all sides of the kit from ceiling to floor with good moving blankets.

You could then add a drop ceiling just above the 10x10 drum insulated area which will really help. If not wanting to install the drop ceiling, just buy 2'x4' ceiling panels and screw them into the joists.

It obviously won't be 100% soundproof, although should cut the volume enough to at least make the noise more tolerable in the living areas of the home.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Roxul is fairly expensive stuff and depending on how much you need to get, it could cost quite a lot of money. If that's the case, it would be cheaper for you to buy a second kit, putting on Remo Silent Stroke heads and getting Zildjian L80 cymbals.
Aquarian Superpads and the RTOM Black Hole heads look like interesting alternatives to Silent Stroke heads - with the advantage that they can be quickly attached to (and removed from) your existing drum set. Not cheap, but perhaps cheaper than a second kit.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

If only one kit, L80 + Super Pads/Black Holes, for sure.

You can then gig with the same kit easily or also play full volume in seconds if that's allowed at certain times.

There's also the option of Onheads and Gen 16(L80s work with those transducers, too) which is the same, but in addition gives you an electronic option.

As for isolation. If volume is down, then getting it off the floor with an isolation platform is what will offer most. After that, putting up anything won't full isolate, but it will help. Plenty of kids put up all sorts of blankets and carpets on walls, ceilings, around the drums.... It's not a professional solution, but saying that it does nothing... It does help.. Complete silence is a different matter and requires substantial investment. If the goal is just to be able to practice and be somewhat tolerable you can do a lot to help that extra little bit without going all the way.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:29 PM

I cut out a round section from a white cotton tee shirt. I removed the head from the floor tom and placed section of tee shirt over the over the shell then replaced the head and rim.
I'm guessing the volume dropped in half with no loss of rebound. It does affect the tone somewhat, but IMO it's way better than rubber drum mutes.

Last edited by Vinny; 03-22-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 PM

Aquarian Superpads. I use these most of the time at home and absolutely love them. Real feel, still some drum tone, very manageable volume.