DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Storage Facility

Does anyone have tips for keeping gear at a storage facility? My parents are planning to sell their house before the end of the year so my dad and I will no longer be able to keep our kits set up and stored in their spare bedroom.

I don't need a place to play, which I know some people use a storage facility for, but I do want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my gear secure. Most times I hear people talk about using a storage locker it's along the lines of, "I had everything stolen from my locker," and not, "I've used a locker for ten years and never had a problem."

Here are some quick thoughts I've had.

-Rent in a nice neighborhood
-Use a facility with excellent security
-Don't tell people where you store your gear
-Load in and out quickly, and make sure you're not being watched

Is there anything I've not thought of? I appreciate any tips or advice.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Storage Facility

I'd make sure all of my stuff was off the ground a few inches just in case, especially if you are in or around a flood plain.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Does anyone have tips for keeping gear at a storage facility? My parents are planning to sell their house before the end of the year so my dad and I will no longer be able to keep our kits set up and stored in their spare bedroom.

I don't need a place to play, which I know some people use a storage facility for, but I do want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my gear secure. Most times I hear people talk about using a storage locker it's along the lines of, "I had everything stolen from my locker," and not, "I've used a locker for ten years and never had a problem."

Here are some quick thoughts I've had.

-Rent in a nice neighborhood
-Use a facility with excellent security
-Don't tell people where you store your gear
-Load in and out quickly, and make sure you're not being watched

Is there anything I've not thought of? I appreciate any tips or advice.
I don't use a storage facility, but I would recommend investigating valuable personal property insurance for your gear. I've had between $5k and $7k of coverage on my gear for some years now, plus my wife's jewelry, and the whole package cost no more than $50 per year. It's also covered during performance and transport, which is nice for a working musician.

Along that line, look carefully at what the storage facility puts in writing as far as its responsibility in the case of theft, fire, flood, etc. If they go out of their way to say storage is at your own risk, then I wouldn't keep anything in that locker.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Go for an enclosed facility so you don't have hot weather issues during storage, or when moving stuff in/out. Also, store vertically for space efficiency.

This was my storage unit in the beginning, it's quite a bit more congested these days.

Bermuda
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

if you have to go this route consider getting a climate controlled unit.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

I recently secured a climate controlled storage facility. I've been putting it off for a few years but i just don't have the room anymore. It's reasonably affordable and only a mile from my house. I agree you want to make sure your stuff is off the floor...just in case.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'd make sure all of my stuff was off the ground a few inches just in case, especially if you are in or around a flood plain.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about this but I should have. We've had major flooding in my part of Houston (and all over the city, really) in April and May the past two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I don't use a storage facility, but I would recommend investigating valuable personal property insurance for your gear. I've had between $5k and $7k of coverage on my gear for some years now, plus my wife's jewelry, and the whole package cost no more than $50 per year. It's also covered during performance and transport, which is nice for a working musician.

Along that line, look carefully at what the storage facility puts in writing as far as its responsibility in the case of theft, fire, flood, etc. If they go out of their way to say storage is at your own risk, then I wouldn't keep anything in that locker.
Good thinking. I know I can get a personal property policy through my renter's insurance, but I'm not sure of the price. Whether that extends to items in a storage facility I'll have to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Go for an enclosed facility so you don't have hot weather issues during storage, or when moving stuff in/out. Also, store vertically for space efficiency.

This was my storage unit in the beginning, it's quite a bit more congested these days.

Bermuda
I'm looking at a 5x5x4 locker so it will be hard to go vertical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
if you have to go this route consider getting a climate controlled unit.
I'll definitely go with a climate controlled facility. The humidity here is very unforgiving.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds, a lockup with storage space and room to practice. Been there years, it's a god send.

Get somewhere with 24 hour access too. If you're a gigging drummer you're rolling in at all hours knackered so you just want to unload and head for bed.

As far as flooding goes if we get flooded the rest of England is up a certain creek bereft of a rowing utensil.

Most importantly you don't want to pay the earth for it.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I'm lucky to have the best of both worlds, a lockup with storage space and room to practice. Been there years, it's a god send.

Get somewhere with 24 hour access too. If you're a gigging drummer you're rolling in at all hours knackered so you just want to unload and head for bed.

As far as flooding goes if we get flooded the rest of England is up a certain creek bereft of a rowing utensil.

Most importantly you don't want to pay the earth for it.
24-hour access is one thing I've not found yet. Maybe it's a type of security feature, but the latest I've seen any place open is 11 pm. I'd really prefer being able to drop my gear off after the show rather than making time the next day.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

If your in uk use the big yellow storage company. you can request an upstairs lock up so you wont have to worry about flooding :)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Good thinking. I know I can get a personal property policy through my renter's insurance, but I'm not sure of the price. Whether that extends to items in a storage facility I'll have to look into.
Check with your auto insurance agency as well. That's how I got mine.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:48 AM

Check with U-Haul near you. Close to me they have a multi-story climate controlled facility with 24 hr access and security. A 5X5X9 unit runs $75/mo. A 5X10X9 unit (they say stores a 1200 sq ft home) runs $95/mo.