DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Default My PA speaker or buy some used Studio Monitors for my very basic recordings

Most of you have seen my Video's or Soundcloud clips. I use a cheap but decent Gemini PA speaker with 12in woofer to monitor playback. They always sound better thru that then they do after I have uploaded it to youtube and listen to it thru my soundbar with 6in subwoofer. Would it be a smart move for me to buy a used set of M Audio BX8 to tailor my recording's a little better. I have some decent recording gear but no monitors, it does seem a little silly to have good Mics and interface but no monitors. But the Pa Speaker does well but has a lot of hiss at low levels and its in the other room so I go back and forth to listen. The M Audio are said to be the best monitors under $500, the set I am looking at is used at around $240 plus tax and shipping.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My PA speaker or buy some used Studio Monitors for my very basic recordings

I have a pair of BX5s and they are rather good. The BX8s would be even better.

Yes. In short.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My PA speaker or buy some used Studio Monitors for my very basic recordings

If you're looking for inexpensive, loud, and decent, take a peek at Presonus's "Eris" offering. ~$200 gets you a lot of speaker, and they're 90% bullshit free.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
Most of you have seen my Video's or Soundcloud clips. I use a cheap but decent Gemini PA speaker with 12in woofer to monitor playback. They always sound better thru that then they do after I have uploaded it to youtube and listen to it thru my soundbar with 6in subwoofer. Would it be a smart move for me to buy a used set of M Audio BX8 to tailor my recording's a little better. I have some decent recording gear but no monitors, it does seem a little silly to have good Mics and interface but no monitors. But the Pa Speaker does well but has a lot of hiss at low levels and its in the other room so I go back and forth to listen. The M Audio are said to be the best monitors under $500, the set I am looking at is used at around $240 plus tax and shipping.
I think you answered your own question.

The fact that you come up with a decent mix and then it sounds bad through youtube and your soundbar also tells you that you need a change. You also might want to think about getting a typical set of computer speakers to test your youtube mixes on. Back in the days we would dub a cassette and put in our cars with factory systems, and on a boom box and make sure it sounded right on that.

I guess that the new testing should include earbuds.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

So the thing about traditional studio monitors is that you don't typically want them to sound great... The term you're usually looking for is "flat" response. You don't want your monitor speakers to make the recording sound better than it "really" is.

In this case, that likely doesn't matter. At some point you might want to invest in some smallish, flat monitor speakers.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sKit View Post
Back in the days we would dub a cassette and put in our cars with factory systems, and on a boom box and make sure it sounded right on that.
Memories. Sweet memories.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
If you're looking for inexpensive, loud, and decent, take a peek at Presonus's "Eris" offering. ~$200 gets you a lot of speaker, and they're 90% bullshit free.
I did look at them and they seem like decent no nonsense monitors. That Gemini I use is just a single speaker so I really have no sense of left or right,