DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Is Spaun Drums still operating?

Anyone else had any contact with Spaun over the last few months?

I've had a maple Custom series kit for almost 15 years now and both bass drum mount threads have completely stripped out, at the same time no less.

The mounts and legs Spaun are currently selling look a fair bit different from mine, so I've sent three separate emails to them inquiring about fitment over the last month and have received no response.

Anyone here have info?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is Spaun Drums still operating?

They updated on Facebook on February 28th. Try to get in touch with them via Facebook and see what happens.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

I would think that after 15 years any warranty is up. Is it a standard part? Perhaps you can find something new on a drum supply catalogue.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

So wait... "both bass drum mount threads have completely stripped out". What are you referring to? Bass drum mounts... Do you mean the spurs/legs? Do you mean a double tom mount on the bass drum? When you say they completely stripped out, what stripped? I assume its not one of the mounting screw bosses, because I can't see how those would strip out unless you completely remove your hardware from the drum all the time. So, is it a bolt with a wing nut designed to clamp on to something that stripped? Because that's pretty easy to replace without having to replace the whole mount.

Do you have a photo of the mount so people can help you find the replacement part?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I saw Brian Spaun wandering at NAMM, but not exhibiting this year. He was heading somewhere the next day and logistics prevented him from doing a booth. But he's still in business (after clearing up some issues with his former partner.)

Agreed that metal parts and probably the entire kit is out of warranty, however, it doesn't hurt to ask. Often the smaller companies go the extra mile for their customers, even for a sale that happened years ago.

Bermuda
Old 03-02-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
So wait... "both bass drum mount threads have completely stripped out". What are you referring to? Bass drum mounts... Do you mean the spurs/legs? Do you mean a double tom mount on the bass drum? When you say they completely stripped out, what stripped? I assume its not one of the mounting screw bosses, because I can't see how those would strip out unless you completely remove your hardware from the drum all the time. So, is it a bolt with a wing nut designed to clamp on to something that stripped? Because that's pretty easy to replace without having to replace the whole mount.

Do you have a photo of the mount so people can help you find the replacement part?

The bolt/wingnut that tightens the spur/leg assembly to the housing attached to the bass drum shell. IE the wingnuts shown in this example. The threading that this wingnut screws into has stripped out beyond the range of a rethreading job. The guy who runs the tool and die at my motorcycle shop took one look and said its torn to shreds and the entire housing must be replaced.

I know this is certainly not a warranty issue, I'm fully intending to pay for new parts. The issue is

a. the legs and housings on my drum are black powder coated, so that limits my aftermarket options.
b. the housing has a shape that looks quite a bit different from those shown on the Spaun site and different from generic Gibraltar replacements as well.

It seems like at some point Spaun changed up the spur housing from my more trapezoid-like ones to a simple round housing. I don't want to throw 80-90 bucks out just to find the bolt spacing will be incompatible.

Last edited by Acidline303; 03-02-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I saw Brian Spaun wandering at NAMM, but not exhibiting this year. He was heading somewhere the next day and logistics prevented him from doing a booth. But he's still in business (after clearing up some issues with his former partner.)

Agreed that metal parts and probably the entire kit is out of warranty, however, it doesn't hurt to ask. Often the smaller companies go the extra mile for their customers, even for a sale that happened years ago.

Bermuda

This is good to know. thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 AM
The SunDog

Just RFI Spaun again and ask them a specific question. Does the bolt pattern of your new bass drum spurs match that of your older spurs. If not, can a replacement be gotten. I'll bet you anything they have a phone number too. Maybe just give them a call and ask to speak with someone about such a problem.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidline303 View Post
T
I know this is certainly not a warranty issue, I'm fully intending to pay for new parts. The issue is

a. the legs and housings on my drum are black powder coated, so that limits my aftermarket options.
b. the housing has a shape that looks quite a bit different from those shown on the Spaun site and different from generic Gibraltar replacements as well.
hmmmm, maybe find aftermarket spurs that are black powder coated. i do see some black nickel ones here

Also when a company does not respond to multiple emails, I suggest pay the little bit extra to make direct phone call, get a human on the line.