DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Replacing a few hoops-questions

Hey guys,

When I got back into drumming in early 2012, I bought a Tama Silverstar. It's held up VERY well after 4+ years of gigging 1-2 times a months and playing nearly every day.

I need to replace some hoops since some are slightly bent. On immediate inspection, my 10" and 14" toms.

I've never replaced hoops before, so should I stick to buying the actual Tama hoops (MFH10-6 and MFH14-6) or could I go with a general hoop from drumfactorydirect.com? The Tama brand may be hard to find and require special order.

Also, I really can't warrant spending the money on die-cast. So I'll be sticking with triple-flanged. The current are 1.6mm. Would it be worth my while to replace ALL the hoops with 2.3mm in hopes of preventing further bending/dents? (I'm not a hard hitter at all....just a few misplaced accidental rim hits.)
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Replacing a few hoops-questions

Hi Axis, also take a look at S-Hoops. They have a little more rigidity than triple flange hoops because of the inward bending of the hoop. S-Hoops are triple flange hoops but with the inward bend. You will get a more focus sound also because of the bend. Cost between $16-25 per hoop.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

2.3 triple flanged would be great and yes go drumfactory before Tama to save $$.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 PM

Can't you simply bend them back ? It's not that difficult.
It's true that Silverstar hoop are not that strong, but I would only go 2.3 MM. on the snare.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I did try bending back when I first noticed, but no dice. They are not major bends (possibly even caused by clip-on mics at one time) but the bend on my 10" tom really affects the tuning. The bend on my 14" floor tom doesn't seem to affect it as much.