DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Instantly recognizable drummers

I tend to prefer drummers has their own thing and is easily recognizable.
For instance Ringo, Gadd, Porcaro, Copeland, Carlock, etc.
There are other drummer that can play any style of music to perfection, but somehow does not stand out.
Greg Bisonnette could perhaps be an example of a guy that can play anything, but not so recognizable.
Many artist or producers might prefer that and there is nothing wrong with it.
But I tend to listen to music where the drummer adds a little bit of uniqueness and feel of a song.

What's your take on this?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Instantly recognizable drummers

Are you truly recognizing their playing, or is it the songs they are associated with. Perhaps the tuning on specific records? I think this is like a/b comparing drums blindfolded. Gadd has played on tons of records that you probably haven't heard, and wouldn't know it was him. Same for Porcaro, Vinnie, etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Personally I wouldn't throw Ringo in that category. I think he was bland and unoriginal.

But I think some music calls for a drummer to play expressively and other music just doesn't allow for it. For me, Travis Barker and Stewart Copeland were fantastic drummers I could pick out just by hearing them play even without the music. They were so distinct and innovative. But it makes one wonder, if they were in bands that called for a more basic pocket players, would they have still been as ground breaking?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Ghostnote

Stewart Copeland and Elvin Jones had the most recognizable feel of any drummers I ever heard. Copeland could play something as generic as a money beat and you could immediately tell it was him. Same with Elvin comping.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Cobham , Bruford and Simon Phillips are pretty easy as is Rich.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Bill Bruford has a very distinct sound as does Simon Phillips. Gadd is very distinct especially in the 70s stuff he recorded, he did stuff outside the box and producers loved it.

There's a lot of studio polish that goes into what drummers sound like, particularly the session greats who played what the producer wanted. (Hence why they're studio greats)

70s Steely Dan is a good yardstick, barring the Purdie shuffle and Gadd on Aja you can't really distinguish between drummers and they had Jeff, Rick Marotta, Hal Blaine, Ed Greene, Paul Humphrey, Jim Keltner, Jim Gordon never mind the original guy Jim Hodder.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Personally I wouldn't throw Ringo in that category. I think he was bland and unoriginal....
Not to make a big deal out of it, but I'm trying to think of anyone doing what he was doing style-wise before he did it? Anyone of any international reknown that is... Going year by year...Ticket to Ride...Day in the Life...you get the drift.

Maybe not complicated...but "bland and unoriginal"? Compared to say, his contemporaries such as Dave Clark, Brian Wilson, Charlie Watts (NOT knocking any of them by the way). Hard to place any other drummer in the Beatle "seat" and think it would have been more fitting, creative-or UNIQUE.

Now, apart from Beatle's tunes I'm not sure I could pick him out easily, but I think some here could. And I think it would be fair to say that you can hear a whole lot of Ringo in other drummers playing...

I respect your opinion, but, yea, I am a Ringo "fanboy" I guess...lol
Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Instantly recognizable... that's hard... because drummers that are instantly recognizable are not always those who are the most popular drummers. Many of the most popular drummers can play many many styles, act like a chamaeleon. But I will try to name a few and why they are so special.

Jack DeJohnette. The Sound of his cymbals in combination with his his speed-patterns/ghostnotes are quite unique. Whenever he plays to a tune, you hear it instantly, as no other drummer plays like him, that is: As if he had way too much coffe this morning.

Steve Jordan: Groove, that do also have some others. But the combination of his groove with his high-tuned open snare makes him recognizable.

Manu Katché: No other drummer paints music better with his cymbals. The splashes are his trademark, as well as his percussive approach. Quite unique.

Tony Williams: His ride, in combination with the punching bassdrum and his pwerful yet open tom-sound make his "sound-creation" very unique. Add to this a very personal drum-language and you have a drummer that will acoustically stand out from the crowd.

Ringo Starr: Unique feel and reduced groove, combined with a very dry drumsound. You simply hear it when Ringo plays.

Tim Alexander: Complex patterns, unorthodox rhythms, mixed with special sounds from his many different drums and cymbals. Nobody plays like him.

Barlow Barriemore: Dry drumsound with thunderous bassdrums, insane complexity and speed even in parts where nobody thinks, that it is needed. Still, it always fits to the music. A miracle. His drumming is always like "I can make it even more complex, wait and see..." You hear it, when he goes crazy.

Keith Moon: Talking about crazy. Moons mix of jazzy fill patterns on his many toms to rock-music, combined with the energy he gave to the music, make him easily recognizable. Even on the few tunes where he did not play with The Who, his tom-sound stood out, his unorthodox way to start fills, his "drumming to the vocals".

Jeff Hamilton: Master of brushes. I guess no one plays as gentle as him, so perfectly "sitting in the background", while adding a nice grove and nice accents with the brushes. If you hear brushes, that really gently kiss a melody, then in most cases, it's Hamilton adding those kisses to the music.

Alan Evans: Two toms, two cymbals, ghostnotes, groove... that's him. You simply hear him playing.

Last edited by Wave Deckel; 02-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

This is a very subjective thread but this;

"I think he was bland and unoriginal."

not sure how you can say unoriginal.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Wave Deckel
This message has been deleted by Wave Deckel.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM

Another vote for Bernard Purdie. His happiness and enthusiasm behind a drumset really comes through, in a subtle way, in his playing. The man is a being of pure joy. I've been trying (and failing) to do the Purdie Shuffle since high school. I need to apply myself and make this year the year.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Not to make a big deal out of it, but I'm trying to think of anyone doing what he was doing style-wise before he did it? Anyone of any international reknown that is... Going year by year...Ticket to Ride...Day in the Life...you get the drift.

Maybe not complicated...but "bland and unoriginal"? Compared to say, his contemporaries such as Dave Clark, Brian Wilson, Charlie Watts (NOT knocking any of them by the way). Hard to place any other drummer in the Beatle "seat" and think it would have been more fitting, creative-or UNIQUE.

Now, apart from Beatle's tunes I'm not sure I could pick him out easily, but I think some here could. And I think it would be fair to say that you can hear a whole lot of Ringo in other drummers playing...

I respect your opinion, but, yea, I am a Ringo "fanboy" I guess...lol
Thanks and I respect your opinion as well. I don't want to turn this into a back and forth and hijack someone's thread. But yes, there were plenty of drummers playing standard rock beats before Ringo. Hal Blane was already cranking out #1 hits and playing a much more innovative style. Dave Clark and I think you meant Dennis Wilson, never played on a single record, so I don't think those are good comparisons.

I know this is unpopular to say, but although the band was special, his drumming just wasn't. He didn't do anything wrong, but in my humble opinion he never did anything to warrant all the fanfare either. I feel any accomplished drummer could have played in the Beatle seat..could just any drummer have sat in Mitch Mitchell's seat? Absolutely not. Just one person's opinion.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's dang cool when a drummer makes a recording or performance that .0005% cooler with a little extra attitude in the swing, going a microsecond ahead of or behind the beat, uses a certain snare tuning that you wouldn't think works - but does, or gets that tasty rimshot just so coming off the break.

But the drummer is there to serve the song, not the other way around. There's a fine line between "putting a personal stamp on" and "ruining", and walking that line correctly takes a lot of skill, talent, and discipline. Tony and Wave have listed off quite a few players who fit that mold.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks and I respect your opinion as well. I don't want to turn this into a back and forth and hijack someone's thread. But yes, there were plenty of drummers playing standard rock beats before Ringo. Hal Blane was already cranking out #1 hits and playing a much more innovative style. Dave Clark and I think you meant Dennis Wilson, never played on a single record, so I don't think those are good comparisons.

I know this is unpopular to say, but although the band was special, his drumming just wasn't. He didn't do anything wrong, but in my humble opinion he never did anything to warrant all the fanfare either. I feel any accomplished drummer could have played in the Beatle seat..could just any drummer have sat in Mitch Mitchell's seat? Absolutely not. Just one person's opinion.
I appreciate your reply, and gracious correction. Yes, I meant "Dennis" Wilson!

I am familiar with the Hal vs. Dennis discussion, but I was under the impression that Dennis had in fact contributed some of the studio drumming, as well as the (pre-substance abuse/"hand injury") playing.

Just trying to put Ringo's drumming in it's proper context and time period.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hal Blane was already cranking out #1 hits and playing a much more innovative style.
The problem with Hal Blaine is that he is one of those chamaeleons. He could play to anything and you'd always think, it's a different drummer playing there. I remember that a well respected musician (I'd have to look it up, don't remember his name now) once said that he was a huge fan of twelve drummers who really inspired him with the way they played on records - only to later find out that those "twelve drummers" were in fact Hal Blaine.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 PM

I don't think I've ever heard another drummer play Come Together with the right feel and dynamic (not to mention many other great Beatle tracks).

I think recognizing a drummer depends on how much you listen to them and are interested in them and get to know their "voice".

Paul McCartney played drums on a few Beatle songs, and I never knew it until later. He was probably influenced by Ringo's playing, and most might not hear or realize the difference. But there is one!

If I had any choice for a drummer out of those mentioned in this thread or any other...I'd take Ringo without a doubt.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
I remember that a well respected musician (I'd have to look it up, don't remember his name now) once said that he was a huge fan of twelve drummers who really inspired him with the way they played on records - only to later find out that those "twelve drummers" were in fact Hal Blaine.
Well, I learned that quote on here from our very own Matt Bo Eder...he's certainly well-respected, and I thought it was his!
Is it me or is this becoming another Ringo thread? (runs and hides)
There are a couple drummers, say Don Henley or Russ Kunkel, who some may say underplay or are even vanilla flavour but to me are very recognizable, because we recognize the songs, the most important be-all end-all part of their drumming.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Was it Matt? If so, I don't have to look for it anymore (thanks). Well respected musician? Of course. Matt is a great drummer ... errm... musician ... erm ... both. Well, you know... At least in this regard, my memory did not fail. :-)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Aren't you guys forgetting somebody?

Does the name Lars Ulrich ring any bells?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 AM
The SunDog

Quote:

Hijack bump! The Beatles played for years with Pete Best to little success. Ringo joins the band and Bam! They're legends. Some guys just have a feel. Drummers that don't get that make me wonder. Like drummers that can't dance. Makes me go hmmmnn? Drums are feel. The drummer acts as the conductor. They control the tempo and dynamics.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

The thing that gets me, is that Keith Moon is so recognizable as a drummer, yet you don't hear his influence too often in other people's drumming. Why is that?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Gavin Harrison,

I'll literally hear 4 bars of a song, and know it's him playing. ( This happened when my friend showed me the new pineapple thief album without telling me he was on it ).

The drum sound, snare, toms, tuning. The crispness and how tight it is. Nothing like it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Renegade

Agree with lots of the above.

Also John Bonham. In the same vein, Cozy Powell was pretty identifiable too.

Ginger Baker. Carl Palmer. Terry Bozzio. Michael Giles. Alex Acuna.

Soundcloud
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Great discussion.
It becomes more interesting if it's a studio cat, not a band drummer like Keith Moon for instance.
Purdie is an excellent example.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Slightly off topic...re: Keith Moon...

Just sitting here imagining what it must have been like for his mother and father raising him....

"Keith...Keith...KEITH!!!"
"Keith! No...keith...get down...."
"KEITH!!!! Put that DOWN..."
" Keith, please, it's 2am...!"

Dude's energy levels were off the charts. Probably could not sit still for 10 seconds...!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
I don't think I've ever heard another drummer play Come Together with the right feel and dynamic (not to mention many other great Beatle tracks).

I think recognizing a drummer depends on how much you listen to them and are interested in them and get to know their "voice".

Paul McCartney played drums on a few Beatle songs, and I never knew it until later. He was probably influenced by Ringo's playing, and most might not hear or realize the difference. But there is one!

If I had any choice for a drummer out of those mentioned in this thread or any other...I'd take Ringo without a doubt.
I can tell the ones Paul drummed on, cos he sounds like a bassist playing drums. Its the same when he plays guitar on Wings stuff, he is still a bassist playing guitar.

Watch any Beatles live gig and Ringo is the best musician on the stage. A solid, solid drummer.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:35 PM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrnox View Post
Gavin Harrison,

I'll literally hear 4 bars of a song, and know it's him playing. ( This happened when my friend showed me the new pineapple thief album without telling me he was on it ).

The drum sound, snare, toms, tuning. The crispness and how tight it is. Nothing like it.
^ This

I like the switchover with Steve Wilson to Marco Minnemann too (and now to Craig Blundell). Great comparison of 2 amazing drummers both with instantly recognisable playing.

On Steve Wilsons recent 4 1/2 "album", you can play the game of guess the drummer (Chad, Craig or Marco) - quite easy really, no-one fills like Marco does.

You can also hear the difference between the kits on Steve Wilsons albums too.

Gavin plays a Sonor, Marco plays a DW. If ever you want to compare the 2 kits, I suggest you listen to Insurgentes and then to The Raven That Refused to sing.

(Insurgentes is not a great album as a whole whereas Raven is one of my faves ever) it just showcases the drummers and their gear so well thanks to Stevens excellent production.

The new album will feature the excellent Craig Blundell who plays Mapex so worth checking that out as well.

:EDIT: Looks like in the studio, Craig is using a vintage kit on some songs instead of mapex
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
Hijack bump! The Beatles played for years with Pete Best to little success. Ringo joins the band and Bam! They're legends. Some guys just have a feel. Drummers that don't get that make me wonder. Like drummers that can't dance. Makes me go hmmmnn? Drums are feel. The drummer acts as the conductor. They control the tempo and dynamics.
I've been contemplating whether or not to respond to this. The Beatles had success in Germany and Liverpool with Pete Best and were signed to their label with him on drums. They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

If Ringo was so instrumental to their initial success as you claim, then why did they use a studio drummer (Andy White) on their first hit Love Me Do and put Ringo's version in the can? Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Phil Collin's playing and signature sound is very recognizable to a lot of folks.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 PM
The SunDog

Quote:
I've been contemplating whether or not to respond to this. The Beatles had success in Germany and Liverpool with Pete Best and were signed to their label with him on drums. They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

If Ringo was so instrumental to their initial success as you claim, then why did they use a studio drummer (Andy White) on their first hit Love Me Do and put Ringo's version in the can? Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.

So.... you missed my point? Can you dance? How do you know if what your playing is danceable if you can't dance? Oh yeah, and Ringo played in the studio. There is waaayyy to much archive video, photos, and audio excerpts to start that. My point was charisma, Superman, charisma. Not whether or not Pete Best was "adequate" enough. Look at the number of times that changing drummers has changed the level of success of a band, both positively and negatively. Rush, Journey, Nirvana, AC/DC, Godsmack, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, THE BEATLES! etc,etc, ad nauseum. Charisma, if you got it, you got it and if you don't.....well. Most people don't realize just exactly how pedestrian they really are. I would love to see you captain a record company. Ringo doesn't "pop" for you, but Pete Best is "adequate enough". Jeez Louise, you'd probably sign yourself! Can I really be having this debate again?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
The thing that gets me, is that Keith Moon is so recognizable as a drummer, yet you don't hear his influence too often in other people's drumming. Why is that?
I would not say that his influence is not heard too often. I'd say, you hear his influence very often, but do not really notice it, if you don't pay attention to todays drumming.

Most of what Keith did back then was - just like Ringo - new territory. He started e.g. fills on 2 or 3 instead of 1, added melodical patterns, interpreted the vocals on drums, added triplets to the standard-repertoire of drummers. Most of what he did back then is part of many of todays drummers arsenal, yet nobody uses these tools as concentrated as Keith did back then.

Because Keith came up with those new and rather jazzy approaches to rock-music first, and because nobody else played it back then (of course), he really stood out in his era. Today, all those ideas he came up with, double-bassdrum patterns, tom rolls, the cymbal accents, the triplets, the "growl" of his floor-toms, mimicing symphonical timpani, all that can be heard when you listen to e.g. Peart, Portnoy, Tim Alexander, many Metal-drummers and so forth. But they only use from Keith "repertoire" those specific parts that fits the music that they play - which is of course different to the stuff The Who made.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

Errmm... I do think you are wrong on a couple of points. First and foremost, Pete Best was not kicked out because he was better looking. That is a myth, complete nonsense. He got replaced my George Martin because Ringo was regarded as the best, innovative drummer in the british pop-scene back then. Better technique, better timing, better dynamics, more musicality. AND: Ringo always appeared to gigs and in the studio prepared. George Martin was afaik annoyed that Pete Best showed up late, sometimes way too late for the concerts. He was not - as some say - mature. He did not act professional, which Ringo did.

The "Love me do" studio-recording of the Beatles, was the beginning of the Ringo-era. Martin was unhappy with Pete Bests performance, thus he looked for alternatives. Alan White was one, Ringo the other. On 5th October 1962, the Parlophone R4949 single that was released and became an instant hit was by the way NOT the Alan White-recording. That recording was used in 1963 - for whatever reason.

The Bernard Purdie-thing is - as it seems - just another myth, spread by Purdie himself - for whatever reason (there is enough onformation on that available in the web, just google it). There are apparently enough documents/recordings that prove that Ringo did all the stuff, not Purdie.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would not say that his influence is not heard too often. I'd say, you hear his influence very often, but do not really notice it, if you don't pay attention to todays drumming.

Most of what Keith did back then was - just like Ringo - new territory. He started e.g. fills on 2 or 3 instead of 1, added melodical patterns, interpreted the vocals on drums, added triplets to the standard-repertoire of drummers. Most of what he did back then is part of many of todays drummers arsenal, yet nobody uses these tools as concentrated as Keith did back then.

Because Keith came up with those new and rather jazzy approaches to rock-music first, and because nobody else played it back then (of course), he really stood out in his era. Today, all those ideas he came up with, double-bassdrum patterns, tom rolls, the cymbal accents, the triplets, the "growl" of his floor-toms, mimicing symphonical timpani, all that can be heard when you listen to e.g. Peart, Portnoy, Tim Alexander, many Metal-drummers and so forth. But they only use from Keith "repertoire" those specific parts that fits the music that they play - which is of course different to the stuff The Who made.
I hear his influence in Peart's playing, but maybe I'm just not listening to the right kinds of music. I try to pull from KM as much as I can in terms of how I approach fills, triplets and cymbal accents, but I am limited because of the kind of music I play now. I just don't hear a lot of it in today's new music. The "less is more" approach seems to prevail, and playing cover tunes, I don't have the opportunity to really express myself and pull from my own influences, which includes Moon, Bonham, Ulrich & Paice.

Sorry, not trying to derail the subject though.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Dave Clark and I think you meant Dennis Wilson, never played on a single record, so I don't think those are good comparisons.
The idea that Dennis Wilson didn't play on any of the Beach Boys hits is something that's been believed for quite some time, given the fact that Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew were used on many Beach Boys sessions in the 60's. But recent research has actually turned up that Dennis did indeed play on quite a few Beach Boys tracks, many of them hits. Here's a link to a drumforum.org post where Beach Boys historian Jon Stebbins lays out some of the details (for those who are interested...the relevant post is near the bottom of the page): http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...ins/?tab=posts

Among other tunes, Dennis played on "I Get Around," "Dance Dance Dance," "Don't Worry Baby," and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" (this last one having an interesting drum beat, which apparently took him quite a while to get down in the studio!).
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Errmm... I do think you are wrong on a couple of points. First and foremost, Pete Best was not kicked out because he was better looking. That is a myth, complete nonsense.
Umm there are books written that discuss this in detail and many stories that back it up. Seems any story you don't like you just chalk up as a myth. Frankly I couldn't care less what you agree with and what you don't.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

I have not seen any fact that really backs up Purdies claim. If you have one, please enlighten us. George Martin said that he did not use another drummer. Ringo said, that it's "rubbish". And Purdie still has not said, which recordings he made specifically and the "big revealing book" has yet to be published by him. Facts - or it did not happen. I suggest reading e.g. this: http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2014...es-recordings/
Old 02-18-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:

They didn't put Ringo's version in the can.

Lots of info on the Love Me Do recordings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Me_Do

Bernard Purdie did not play on any actual official Beatle records. Ringo did, as well as Paul a few times, and Andy White the one time.

All 3 Beatles as well as George Martin, went on to extol the virtues of Ringo, and how he took the band to another level over Pete Best.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.
I was going to let it go before you brought up this old BS canard. This will never die, will it? Purdie may have sweetend tracks on the Tony Sheridan recordings but their is no evidence that he played on any Beatles hits. Not a shred.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe Bernard.
And some people believe L. Ron Hubbard. Doesn't mean that makes any sense either.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And Purdie still has not said, which recordings he made specifically and the "big revealing book" has yet to be published by him.
I love Purdie but don't believe his claim either.
But to be correct, his book has been published, and he is the publisher/distributor. You can get it on Amazon for a high price, because he did not go with an established publisher/distributor and there were not a lot of copies run to press.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Mhm... so this book was not really important enough for any distributor to publish it. Well, he announced the book in 2008... Took him "only" almost ten year to publish a book that apparently is irrelevant. And now back on topic.

Distinguishable drummers:

Ash Soan. Extra-dry drums plus really really dry, stacked cymbals. Unique way to play hihats, plays very high tuned snares. Immeditely recognizable.