DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Todd Sucherman sued for drumstick toss to audience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz View Post
You should watch the video about that woman. She had a legit argument. It was nothing like we were lead to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody Who Didn't Read Further View Post
What? You mean an employee of the cafe forced the hot liquid down her throat? Get real. She bought coffee, that anyone would complain about if it was cold. If it was that hot it would have steam coming from the top and the cup or mug would be hot. It was her choice to drink it. Any hot beverage you take a tiny sip to check how hot it is. The stupid gene is alive and well.
Like Patz said, it was nothing like the headlines would have you believe.

I'm no fan of any litigious society, but the woman really did have a case. Read up on it.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Like Patz said, it was nothing like the headlines would have you believe.

I'm no fan of any litigious society, but the woman really did have a case. Read up on it.
She did have 3rd degree burns to her genitalia from what I remember when discussing this in a ethics class in college years ago.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
She did have 3rd degree burns to her genitalia from what I remember when discussing this in a ethics class in college years ago.
The fact remains, unless someone employed by the restaurant deliberately tipped the coffee into her lap its her own fault. And what has Essex got to do with it.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:38 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Drumstick... bottle... same charges. :)

At least I remembered Skid Row, although I almost hate to admit to that.
Just LMAO. Me too ��. My apologies for making you mention them a second time.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
This is on par with the person who sued a fast food restaurant for serving hot coffee.
Actually although this lawsuit caused a lot of discussions of frivolous lawsuits the coffee mishap was not frivolous. The woman had severe burns and required a lot of medical attention and the coffee was dangerously hot. The idea behind the hot coffee was that people don't drink it right away. After the suit they reduced the temperature.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM

My initial feeling when I read the thread title was that this was typical of the litigiousness of society these days along with people's inability to take responsibility for their own actions.
But then I thought about it as I read through the comments. IF (and it is a big IF because I don't know exactly what happened) the drumstick was thrown/hurled/tossed/whirled/chucked into the audience then I'm actually with the lady who got struck, and I can't believe I'm saying that. Okay, the language/legalese used sounds faintly preposterous, but if that's the language of Law then it is what it is. And the other side of the argument, if the stick was underarm lobbed gently or deliberately and gently directed at someone then I'll hold a different opinion. But a gig isn't like a sporting event and the lady in question didn't (I assume) go with the intention of entering a mosh pit. For the vast majority of people a gig is an event where you sit or stand and enjoy the music, not somewhere where you need to be on full alert for the whole night looking for objects being thrown at you.
If it was an Alice Cooper or Rammstein gig and she got covered in fake blood or felt faint due to the heat from flamethrowers then I'd be inclined to favour the artist because you know (or should know) what you're getting into at these types of gigs. But this was Styx.

Notwithstanding any of the above, about 35 years ago a mate of mine was "run over" by a car containing Ritchie Blackmore as it sped away from the backstage door of a concert hall after a Rainbow gig. My mate proudly showed off his bruise for quite some time and was disappointed when it finally faded away.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Drumstick... bottle... same charges. :)

At least I remembered Skid Row, although I almost hate to admit to that.
And they 'remember you'.
:)
Old 02-12-2017, 06:26 PM

I've heard some stories about the dangers of using maple drumsticks, but had no idea they could do this kind of damage. Maybe this incident will prompt Mr. Sucherman to switch back to hickory to ensure the safety and well being of those around him.
A bunch of different sticks
Old 02-13-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
I've heard some stories about the dangers of using maple drumsticks, but had no idea they could do this kind of damage. Maybe this incident will prompt Mr. Sucherman to switch back to hickory to ensure the safety and well being of those around him.
I think hickory would be worse as they are heavier. BTW, I met Todd at a clinic and I hate for anything like this to happen to him. Hell of a nice guy.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
I think hickory would be worse as they are heavier. BTW, I met Todd at a clinic and I hate for anything like this to happen to him. Hell of a nice guy.
I was joking around there. I remember someone on this forum recommending against using maple sticks. The poster said they were downright dangerous because of how they break. They break cleanly and the broken piece tends to go airborne. A bad attempt at maple drumstick humor lol.
A bunch of different sticks
Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I recall Sebastian Bach throwing a glass bottle viciously into a crowd who were pressed up against the barricade at a show in the '80's. It smashed on a girls face causing permanent eye damage and scarring. I don't remember the drummer thing. I have however, been hit in the face with a stick (my own, funny story) and it left a blurry spot in my vision for two weeks. You could poke someone's eye out, literally. I would have thought no one "threw" sticks into an audience anymore. A soft lob a most to reach people further back, or just hand them to those people in front. Too bad for Todd, but yeah, don't do that.

Actually it was someone flipping Sebastian Bach off and he threw the bottle in, hitting someone else in the face, and jumped in trying to fight with the original guy flipping him off.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Jhostetler
This message has been deleted by Jhostetler.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
The fact remains, unless someone employed by the restaurant deliberately tipped the coffee into her lap its her own fault. And what has Essex got to do with it.
Not only is that a silly stance to take when it comes to corporations responsibility to public safety, but it comes off as rather misinformed. Not only should suppliers of goods and services be aware of and mitigate excessive risks likely to arise from reasonable use (and let's be honest, who hasn't spilt a coffee or knocked over a beer), but McDonalds was aware that the temperature they served the coffee was hotter than needed to cause 3rd degree burns and posed a serious burn risk before this incident. Not to mention the fact that they were willing to serve it through a drive-thru, where there is a reasonable expection for occasional spilling. What is unreasonable is having a beverage sold for express purpose of consuming being hot enough to literally burn your throat, let alone destroy your nerves and reconstructive surgery.
Also, it was often proclaimed, and still is when you google it, that she was awarded 3 million dollars. It is true a jury of citizens awarded these damages. But a closed court reduced it somewhere around 500 000 and the case was ultimately settled out of court. And yet corporate lobbyists ran a huge PR campaign claiming false litigation was rampant needed to be stopped. And apparently it worked.

/end rant. Sorry, this case strikes a cord with me. It blows my mind how often people talk so poorly of the poor lady without having any insight into the actual facts of the situation, and it's rather disconcerting to see that a business's profit interests are held in higher regard than the health of our next door neighbours; usually because of ignorance and misleading billboards.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
...........and let's be honest, who hasn't spilt a coffee.........
More times than I'd care to admit.

Can't say I was ever surprised to learn that the "contents may be hot" though.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Wait a minute. You telling me there are Drummers that can afford to throw perfectly good Drum Stix away ? WOW. That must be nice. Damn.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

It says in the article- She seeks to recover damages including medical expenses and lost income. That does not sound like a ton of money, it should be settled quickly.
I think it was only a matter of time to be honest with you, a flying stick can be tricky.