DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Todd Sucherman sued for drumstick toss to audience

Ugh, feeling really bad for Todd.

Lawsuit: Styx drummer bloodied Atlanta fan with drumstick to the face

Tossing sticks into the audience after a show is a long-standing tradition in R & R. Has anyone ever been sued for this before?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Todd Sucherman sued for drumstick toss to audience

Parts of amps, guitars being thrown but not Stix....sticks
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

This is on par with the person who sued a fast food restaurant for serving hot coffee.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
8Mile
This message has been deleted by 8Mile.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Wouldn't the venues insurance cover something like this?

Let's see Lori Frederick alleges that:

She lost the benefit of her concert tickets.
She endured emotional anguish.
She suffered loss of enjoyment of life.
She was unable to register for a road race a few weeks after the concert
Her clothing was rendered useless because of the blood.

Thanks for the laugh Lori!

She deserves maybe 1,000 bucks.

Todd could probably settle out of court by just apologizing and taking her out to dinner or something. Just treat her like a princess for an evening (and maybe night?) and she'd probably forget the whole thing. Give her concert tickets and backstage passes any time Styx plays there. Make friends with her.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
This is on par with the person who sued a fast food restaurant for serving hot coffee.
Both of them are valid.
The paying music fan was bloodied by his negligence.
The coffee maimed the old lady and she was hospitalized for 8 days.

— "She seeks to recover damages including medical expenses and lost income." That's all she's asking for. She doesn't sound evil to me.

How about the guy who lost a testicle when Michael Douglas blasted a golf ball into his groin for being slow off the tee?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

*!*
Too much time on my hands is a stutter song!
't-t-t tickin' away'
Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I think it was Skid Row's drummer that faced damages from throwing a stick into the audience, probably early '80s.

I recall in 1987 that Sandy Gennaro would leave the riser, walk across the front of the stage, and gently toss or hand sticks to fans who could see them coming.

Bermuda
Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
Both of them are valid.
The paying music fan was bloodied by his negligence.
The coffee maimed the old lady and she was hospitalized for 8 days.

— "She seeks to recover damages including medical expenses and lost income." That's all she's asking for. She doesn't sound evil to me.

How about the guy who lost a testicle when Michael Douglas blasted a golf ball into his groin for being slow off the tee?
I question the allegation of negligence. It's pretty common for drummers to throw out drumsticks. And, I'm rather surprised a drumstick could cause that much physical damage, anyway. Would it hurt, and maybe cause a nosebleed? Yeah. It could even put your eye out if it struck just right, but that doesn't sound like that's what happened. It sounds to me like a lawyer is exploiting every possible angle to get her a bunch of money, is all.

But then, I am not a fan of our tort system, period.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You should watch the video about that woman. She had a legit argument. It was nothing like we were lead to believe.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, that's America, isn't it...? Feel bad for Todd, and for the woman, too.

I second Larry's idea, except for the night thing - Todd has wife and daughter. ;)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post

I second Larry's idea, except for the night thing - Todd has wife and daughter. ;)
That's what I was thinking. Let's not bring the guy any more trouble. ;-)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz View Post
You should watch the video about that woman. She had a legit argument. It was nothing like we were lead to believe.
Yup, I think there was a documentary on it.

Don't feel bad though. I thought it was all totally ridiculous until I watched the documentary on it.

Yikes! Those pictures...

Here's some info:
http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/Default.asp
Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

A concert on 28 JUN 2015?!? Seems like an opportunity grab to me, but what do I know.

My niece took her 5 kids shopping to a national chain department store. Her 10 year old "monkey boy" grabbed and hung from a clothes rack while she had her back turned. It broke and the piece he was holding hit his head. He needed a couple of stitches to close the wound.

She related the story to a friend who said she should get a lawyer and sue the store for faulty equipment. Long story short, the store settled with a $4500 check. ?!?

Your brat is monkeying around on a clothes rack, konks his noggin and you get paid?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:58 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I think it was Skid Row's drummer that faced damages from throwing a stick into the audience, probably early '80s.

I recall in 1987 that Sandy Gennaro would leave the riser, walk across the front of the stage, and gently toss or hand sticks to fans who could see them coming.

Bermuda
I recall Sebastian Bach throwing a glass bottle viciously into a crowd who were pressed up against the barricade at a show in the '80's. It smashed on a girls face causing permanent eye damage and scarring. I don't remember the drummer thing. I have however, been hit in the face with a stick (my own, funny story) and it left a blurry spot in my vision for two weeks. You could poke someone's eye out, literally. I would have thought no one "threw" sticks into an audience anymore. A soft lob a most to reach people further back, or just hand them to those people in front. Too bad for Todd, but yeah, don't do that.

Last edited by The SunDog; 02-02-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Tossing sticks into the audience after a show is a long-standing tradition in R & R. Has anyone ever been sued for this before?
Our stage coach had the following suggestion:

When you're going to throw anything off stage (Sticks, picks, yourself), always throw "to" someone. Make sure that person knows you're about to throw something, and has enough open space to make the catch.

Besides litigation, his reasoning at the time was that fans don't want to get konk'ed in the head by something unseen, and don't like getting stepped on when there's a dense crowd jumping for the same item.

Stuff like this has been litigated since the beginning of the modern music business.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

Let's see Lori Frederick alleges that:

She lost the benefit of her concert tickets.
She endured emotional anguish.
She suffered loss of enjoyment of life.

She was unable to register for a road race a few weeks after the concert
Her clothing was rendered useless because of the blood.
Jesus, the ones in bold made me chuckle. How hard was this stick thrown??

Like the sucky modern saying/moto goes "Where there's blame there's a claim"

Also remember this one from a couple of years ago, fan sued Rod Stewart over a alleged broken nose caused by a football.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...-football.html
Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Guess what? At least we can pretty much say for sure Todd Sucherman isn't going to be throwing drumsticks into the audience anymore
Old 02-02-2017, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

I remember my eldest brother throwing a drum stick and breaking it on my head. "Splains" a lot no? No worries revenge was sweet I stepped it up with my choice of retaliatory weaponry a croquet mallet.Alas I defeated the evil dragon. He was like evil as a child (town bully)-set me on fire, tied me to an electric fence, hung me, dug trap holes too deep for my friends and I too escape, etc, etc, etc, etc-grew up to be Dentist-reminds me of Lil Shop of Horrors. I'm not complaining he did it to everyone else too, and even worse, so it wasn't personal-just PSYCHOTIC. He wonders why I never call.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

It's a very Rock 'N Roll gesture and I'm sure Todd have been doing it for years without giving it much thought. It is however not a safe act and is best avoided. Also considering the US legal environment.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I would think this would fall under the coverage of sports fan being responsible for their own safety at a game. When I worked with the Los Angeles Angels baseball team and the Anaheim Ducks hockey team, there are signs posted everywhere that audience members must be paying attention and that the teams are not responsible for what happens should a bat break and fly into the stands, or if a puck cleared the plexiglass barriers and hit a kid (which I've seen happen).

Granted, perhaps a concert audience isn't expecting drumsticks to be flying at them during a show, but I would think if this ever went to court, that's the defense Sucherrman's lawyer would probably take. It makes sense since a concert and a sporting event are almost about the same thing.

But, if she's not asking for much, it could just be cheaper to pay her back for damages.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Fans are now wanting netting behind and further down the lines at baseball stadiums to prevent flying bats from causing damage. These are accidents when a bat goes flying, not a deliberate stick throw. The NFL and most colleges have nets behind the goal posts for extra points and field goals because were injuring themselves and other fans going for kicked footballs. Todd's stick throw was deliberate, although not intended to harm, and he will settle I'm sure. Now if you want a Todd stick you'll have to buy a pair, beat them up and say you caught it at a concert. Then sell the second one to re-coup the cost of the pair.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

The US is the most litigious country in the world-I wonder if they get this in other countries?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

It's an alternative to the tax system. The poor get money back from the rich. In France we pay so much taxes there are no rich people to be sued. :)
I'm not criticizing one system or the other. It's just that one leads to lots of funny warning signs.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
The US is the most litigious country in the world-I wonder if they get this in other countries?
Unfortunately the plague has spread to the UK too. It's known as Health and Safety or the lets legislate common sense brigade.

There's a section of professionally offended, self important, I'm never to blame, lentil munching, tree hugging types over here as well. Unfortunately they are given way too much attention and have sucked the fun out of everyday life because someone might have their feelings hurt.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

My guess is she was probably texting or doing a selfie. I went to a Zac Brown concert at Fenway Park here in Boston and I could not believe these people paying all this money to see a concert and all they did was take selfies, check email, FB and whatever else? I don't get it?

Todds a class act, I'm hope this all works out for him.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wouldn't the venues insurance cover something like this?
Probably, and most likely the woman attempted to be compensated through them first. If they resisted, then any lawyer would advise you to bring a suit against everyone involved: the drummer, the band, the venue, the promoter, and so on.

So, to say that Todd is being sued isn't really accurate. More than likely, he's included on a long list of defendants. The band probably has liability insurance, and so it's just a matter of who's insurance company will have to foot the bill.

Was hoping someone would mention this. If something sounds ridiculous, it might just be false.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

How long before we sign waverers before we go to a gig saying we won't be suing for stuff like this.

It couldn't have been that bad. And if you were actually a fan do you really want to sue your idols?

Hahaha tell this lady to go to a deathmetal show and get in a moshpit... when your getting slammed around and fall on the floor it's often pretty intense for a few minutes until you get picked up.. You can get hurt, but everyone is usually respectful and look for people who have fallen down. When I was younger I remember waking up with cuts and bruises after every show I went to.

Sounds like cash grab meets 2017 oversensitive people getting offended by everything. Had it not hit your face you would have been happy to catch it.. PAY ATTENTION. things like this ruin it for everyone and now no fans are even going to get tossed a tee shirt because you might get dust in your eye, and bands won't be able to do anything but play. But not too loud incase someone sues for hearing damage, or your lyrics, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have been looking over the net to see what may pop up and as you can guess the results are all over the place. No one set of answers, more like every case on it's own. One member of a music forum states that they get insurance thru the musicians union for $250. per anum for 2 million worth of insurance. This just one of the scenarios.

THE LEGAL DETAILS
While you might think the venue would be legally culpable for injuries sustained there, in some cases, fans pursue legal action against the band – and win. One of the reasons artists and bands can be held legally culpable for injuries and deaths at their shows is because of the precedence for such events.

Hundreds of people around the world have died at concerts, meaning no band or artist can reasonably claim they had no idea it was a risk. By agreeing to perform at a venue where security or safety measures were lax enough to result in injuries or deaths, the artist takes on responsibility. This can mean severe legal consequences in the event of a tragedy.

If you are a member of a band and you perform publicly in crowded venues, it may be a good idea to purchase liability insurance. This insurance can protect you legally if an attendee chooses to sue over injury or property damage sustained at one of your shows. Legally, these cases fall under the designation of tort law.

Liability insurance may seem silly, particularly to bands and artists who can’t claim the same level of fame as The Who. However, small time local artists are more likely to be playing in venues that are not necessarily zoned for the level of occupancy they support at shows. This makes the artist legally culpable for agreeing to play at an illegal venue.

Fault can be placed on the artist for something as simple as a microphone cord out of place. If an attendee at a show falls and injures him or herself, and perhaps brings others to the floor as well, the artist could be to blame for improperly setting up equipment. This litigation can be devastating to an artist financially.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I recall Sebastian Bach throwing a glass bottle viciously into a crowd who were pressed up against the barricade at a show in the '80's. It smashed on a girls face causing permanent eye damage and scarring. I don't remember the drummer thing.
Drumstick... bottle... same charges. :)

At least I remembered Skid Row, although I almost hate to admit to that.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
It's an alternative to the tax system. The poor get money back from the rich. In France we pay so much taxes there are no rich people to be sued. :)
I'm not criticizing one system or the other. It's just that one leads to lots of funny warning signs.
Contrary to popular belief, there are indeed lots of rich people in France.

But not for much longer.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/01/news...leeing-france/

That should take care of everything.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
You French should sue oscillococcinum for having nothing in it and getting people to believe they're taking medicine.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Just for the sake of debate, what if this had been a sports thing where say a baseball hit someone in the nose...would that person sue the team?

The legal precedents were unfortunate, again with the musician taking it up the tube. My question is, if the venues insurance doesn't cover it, what does it cover? I think that the liability is solely on the venue's insurance, because THEY GOT MONEY to cover sudden and accidental stuff like this. Period. It happened in the venue, it was sudden and an accident. It was meant to be a nice gesture. For the insurance companies to pass the responsibility on...WHAT IS GOING ON? It's default at the least, and criminal at the worst.

What I want to know is, does anybody know what entity has the power to make the insurance companies fulfill their contract? Bastards.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 PM

I remember being at a Tool show and Danny Carey was tossing a couple drumheads like frisbees deep into the crowd. Some kid about 10 feet from me had his friend boost him up on his shoulders but the kid couldn't find his balance. His arms were flailing and he took the collar of the drumhead clean on the nose. He ended up winning the scrum for the head and appeared out of the pile with a bloody face smiling and holding up his loot yelling like he won the WWE Championship.

No lawsuit. Just a fan happy to get some free stuff.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What I want to know is, does anybody know what entity has the power to make the insurance companies fulfill their contract?
The answer is: The courts.

I'd like to point out another option, and that is to get an indemnification clause in your performance contract.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz View Post
What? You mean an employee of the cafe forced the hot liquid down her throat? Get real. She bought coffee, that anyone would complain about if it was cold. If it was that hot it would have steam coming from the top and the cup or mug would be hot. It was her choice to drink it. Any hot beverage you take a tiny sip to check how hot it is. The stupid gene is alive and well.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
What? You mean an employee of the cafe forced the hot liquid down her throat? Get real. She bought coffee, that anyone would complain about if it was cold. If it was that hot it would have steam coming from the top and the cup or mug would be hot. It was her choice to drink it. Any hot beverage you take a tiny sip to check how hot it is. The stupid gene is alive and well.
she didn't drink it.
Here's the full story without speculation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...7s_Restaurants
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
she didn't drink it.
Here's the full story without speculation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...7s_Restaurants
Yea. Well thats even worse. She spills coffee on herself and blames McDonalds? You couldnt make this up. Only in America would it even get to court. But lets face it, it wasnt her it was an ambulance chasing lawyer.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Bermuda
I started doing the same after I bounced one off a girls head who wasn't paying attention some years back.

This lawsuit is honestly just stupid. You're at a rock concert, don't be an idiot.
YouTube
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
You're at a rock concert, don't be an idiot.
That sounds like an oxymoron. Rock concerts are entirely for idiots. If I watch old videos of Styx, I roll my eyes at how stupid it looks and sounds. There's nothing at all intellectually redeeming. It is purely a mental suspension of standards to watch these. It's a vacation from culture.

Nevertheless, if anyone wants to stand about 30 meters away and let me throw a drumstick at their face (gently) but with your eyes closed, I'll buy you a beer and give you a noogie if you get a booboo. I'll also yell "think fast Malkovich!" so you won't be caught off guard.

Anyway, this reminds me of a person who was once a friend that I played music with. He was a pretty good songwriter and guitarist. We even did some studio recordings. Now he's douchebag.
It seems he found himself a scam to cheat restaurants by claiming a broken tooth. He scammed over $30k before he got caught.

Before all this happened I asked him if he wanted to get together for more music. He told me he wanted to play music with people who were closer to their 20's to keep things fresh, even though he once told me he thought I was the best drummer he played with. Phony.
I said OK cool, basically piss off, see ya.
Thing is, his brother is a very good bass player and a very nice guy. The last I remember, his brother was playing in Minnie Driver's band.
It's funny how people turn out.
Now he's known as the tooth fairy.

Last edited by WallyY; 02-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Question:

How do all y'all get your sticks trough the chicken wire?