DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Hit Like A Girl - Drum Contest

The biggest international Women's Drummer contest has just started, "Hit Like A Girl", and I have the honor to be JUDGE in it.

The ladies who wish to participate can go to this link for conditions and details:

http://hitlikeagirlcontest.com/

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 02-15-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Hit Like A Girl - Drum Contest

I feel like I should dress up as my halloween costume and see how far I can get in the contest before being caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TlDUmQqzKU
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
I feel like I should dress up as my halloween costume and see how far I can get in the contest before being caught.

Not far. Not far at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post

But then how would you feel being beat out by an 8 year old girl?! :)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

also "Halloween costume". riiiiight.

hahahahaha

Wearing a skirt/dress on the drums when you play double kick is dangerous. Discovered this one Halloween also haha.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Best wishes to the contestants and organizers.

Peace, love, and goodwill.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Don't they know it's 2017 and you can't be so gender normative anymore?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 AM

Hey, I've put a video in this year. Maybe those who can't enter could post some videos here anyway? Hearing all the new drum videos is my favourite part about it.

Here's my video:

https://youtu.be/a6MNLo0DoZQ

Caroline
Old 02-12-2017, 03:53 PM

A couple of contestants:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOEHYuIsIU

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrbPd6Yn9z8

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 02-13-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Don't they know it's 2017 and you can't be so gender normative anymore?
I get what you're saying, but allow me to offer a counterpoint. My 9 year old daughter is showing some interest in drumming, and IMO she has some natural ability. However, she has it in her mind that drums are a boys instrument (no idea where this came from; certainly not from me). So I show her videos of female drummers from time to time so she sees that it's perfectly normal for a girl to play drums. Now, a contest for young female drummers? She thinks that's really cool. If this contest inspires young girls to take up the instrument who otherwise wouldn't, then to me it has its merits.
A bunch of different sticks
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
If this contest inspires young girls to take up the instrument who otherwise wouldn't, then to me it has its merits.
It does indeed promote an art among a demographic that is perceived as being underrepresented. I do agree with others.... You don't tear down an imaginary barrier by erecting a second one. Until we figure out how to eliminate the first barrier, and we've really really tried, this stop gap will have to suffice.

In the mean time, I have kids to raise, and will make every effort to teach them well.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but allow me to offer a counterpoint. My 9 year old daughter is showing some interest in drumming, and IMO she has some natural ability. However, she has it in her mind that drums are a boys instrument (no idea where this came from; certainly not from me). So I show her videos of female drummers from time to time so she sees that it's perfectly normal for a girl to play drums. Now, a contest for young female drummers? She thinks that's really cool. If this contest inspires young girls to take up the instrument who otherwise wouldn't, then to me it has its merits.
This concept exists within your daughter because she has an image that only boys can drum and that women doing it is exceptional, therefor, to have a chance at winning, they need a different competition that's more "their level". If my daughter felt that drums might be for her, first, I'd point out that a competition for an art form is not an ideal motivation. Second, I'd be inclined to encourage that she join into competitions that didn't exclude and instead included all; like I'd wager the majority of them do.

I just don't think there's a physical reason why a woman can't play the drums just as well as a man, or even better for that matter. It comes down to love and study of music along with lots of practice and application. That being the case, why do we need an exclusionary competition for women only?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That being the case, why do we need an exclusionary competition for women only?
Here's how I visualize the issue.

You have two equal sized buckets, men/women. (Represents all drummers)
The Men bucket is 90% full. The Women bucket is 10% full. (Represents the current distribution)
Water exits the buckets at a rate proportional to the pressure at the bottom of the bucket. (People die, get disabled, or quit playing).
Water enters the bucket at (what should be) a 50/50 distribution.

If you're an electrician or EE, use capacitors instead of buckets, variable rate resistors instead of spigots, etc... It's the same problem. These are the two filter caps after a full wave bridge rectifier.

Without affecting the initial distribution, will the two buckets ever achieve equilibrium? If we were given all the variables (the rate of water entering the system, the pressure, the flow rate of the spigot, etc, etc) could we figure out if/when it will happen? I believe the answers are yes, and "eventually".

I'm no a mathematician... Oh wait, I am... Crap, now I have to figure this out to save face.

Either way, competitions like this (or any affirmative action for that matter) is an attempt to influence the distribution at the top of the picture and bring on the change faster. Whether it's a good or bad thing is entirely up to your philosophy.

Last edited by KamaK; 02-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
This concept exists within your daughter because she has an image that only boys can drum and that women doing it is exceptional, therefor, to have a chance at winning, they need a different competition that's more "their level". If my daughter felt that drums might be for her, first, I'd point out that a competition for an art form is not an ideal motivation. Second, I'd be inclined to encourage that she join into competitions that didn't exclude and instead included all; like I'd wager the majority of them do.
Pschoanalyzing my daughter and where she might have gotten the idea that drums are for boys without ever meeting or talking to her? Lol, ok. You do realize that there are male and female leagues for sports, right? So there is some exclusion in certain areas, like it or not. My point was that girls seeing something just for them that wasn't previously there can be inspiring. Seems to me a little girl interested in soccer might be more inspired by the women's team winning the gold medal as opposed to the men's team. Appreciate the parenting advice, but I've been doing it a long time; i think I'm doing just fine.
A bunch of different sticks
Old 02-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pschoanalyzing my daughter and where she might have gotten the idea that drums are for boys without ever meeting or talking to her? Lol, ok. You do realize that there are male and female leagues for sports, right? So there is some exclusion in certain areas, like it or not. My point was that girls seeing something just for them that wasn't previously there can be inspiring. Seems to me a little girl interested in soccer might be more inspired by the women's team winning the gold medal as opposed to the men's team. Appreciate the parenting advice, but I've been doing it a long time; i think I'm doing just fine.
You're the one that said she had that idea, I just went by what you said.

Exclusion in cases where it makes sense is fine. Weightlifting for example, a very small person will not be in the same league as someone with a lot of mass to their frame.

But drumming? Why does there need to be a line between the sexes? It's like a female only painting competition. There's no good reason.

Anyhoo, I wasn't offering parenting advice, just my take on the ideas.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

"hit like a girl" "spit like a man" as long as it just good fun. But a point well taken is why discriminate between genders and why not be inclusive since so many stellar female drummers now-as we see posting on here too. My issue isn't gender but generational as there are so many stellar young "spit' players who shame me after only playing a few years compared to my almost 54 years now. As the Grinch would say "I loathe you". LOL.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 AM
funkutron

I LOVE girls, and especially my Wife, but I'm going to weigh in here, and don't hate me. But when I try to explain anything electrical, mechanical, even rhythmical from a technical angle, etc. to MY Wife, she is just plain not interested, or just doesn't get it anyway.....now, not ALL women are like her, there are girl mechanics, etc., but I would say that on the whole, women don't CARE as much as men about things mechanical. And drumming is kind of mathematical and mechanical, and physical, but it is also intellectual. So a woman who can feel the music can be a good drummer. It's just rarer for women to be drummers. But God bless 'em if they wanna try!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hey, I've put a video in this year. Maybe those who can't enter could post some videos here anyway? Hearing all the new drum videos is my favourite part about it.

Here's my video:

https://youtu.be/a6MNLo0DoZQ

Caroline
I've now watched quite a few of the entries this year (randomly clicking through YouTube, having started with yours) and your performance stands out. I don't object to the competition's entry requirement of two X chromosomes, I just hate that most of the entries are soulless drum karaoke. Do we really need more of this? (From women, or men?)
Anyway, good luck. I hope that your performance is what the competition is looking to promote; drumming as music, not sport.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkutron View Post
I LOVE girls, and especially my Wife, but I'm going to weigh in here, and don't hate me. But when I try to explain anything electrical, mechanical, even rhythmical from a technical angle, etc. to MY Wife, she is just plain not interested, or just doesn't get it anyway.....now, not ALL women are like her, there are girl mechanics, etc., but I would say that on the whole, women don't CARE as much as men about things mechanical. And drumming is kind of mathematical and mechanical, and physical, but it is also intellectual. So a woman who can feel the music can be a good drummer. It's just rarer for women to be drummers. But God bless 'em if they wanna try!
To say that's patronising is... something of an understatement.

No, it's not the case for all women. We absolutely agree there.

I would say that it's that cultural attitude that you're espousing that leads some women into fulfilling that stereotype, i.e. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that society perpetuates...
Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 PM

To "Someone's Dad":

I think you should check out the links I posted (reposting now), please in suggested order:

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDymxDHF6Po

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bFusRkm2w

5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_myh-suaTkw

Best luck to all contestants!!

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 02-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
To "Someone's Dad":

I think you should check out the links I posted (reposting now), please in suggested order:

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDymxDHF6Po

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bFusRkm2w

Best luck to all contestants!!
Gender, "shmender"...those drummers are all solid players!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
To "Someone's Dad":

I think you should check out the links I posted (reposting now), please in suggested order...
Yeah, I'd seen the first two videos from your original post, but it's hard to get excited about anyone drumming along to recorded music in their bedroom/living room/home studio. I prefer Caz's video to any of those that you posted. It's live and it's real.

YMMV.

Last edited by Someone's Dad; 02-13-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:33 AM
funkutron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
To say that's patronising is... something of an understatement.

No, it's not the case for all women. We absolutely agree there.

I would say that it's that cultural attitude that you're espousing that leads some women into fulfilling that stereotype, i.e. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that society perpetuates...
Patronizing?! Me?! No way mate, but if we can get beyond the "politically correct" pablum that we have been fed up to our eyeballs, there are certain facts we cannot ignore. First of all, women are not a physically strong as men, that's a fact. Sure, there are women who are bodybuilders and are "ripped", but I don't fancy them at all! I like my women soft and sweet! And sure, women can go into combat, and work construction jobs, and do anything that men can do, but why on Earth would they even want to!? I'm a guy, and there's no way I'm going to go into combat anytime soon, believe you me!

Drumming is very physically demanding and is tough on the joints. When I turned 50, I really started to notice myself going downhill...the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome, back problems, neck problems, etc...I started doing testosterone replacement at age 52, been doing it ever since, and it really helps. Women don't have much of that. So factually they do have a disadvantage when it comes to being drummers. So I'm not "Patronizing", just saying....
Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
First of all, women are not a physically strong as men, that's a fact.
This is a distribution. Two bell curves, on for women, one for men, that overlap. It would look like.....

It is both inaccurate and not factual to represent it in terms of absolutes. If anything, we would have "strength roles" instead of gender roles, and the role distribution would be represented by both genders.

While drumming is physical, the barrier of entry (the minimum physical requirement) is quite low. Hell, Karen Carpenter was like 90lbs.

If drumming is damaging your joints, either roll them tighter or take them out of your pocket before you sit down to play like the rest of us.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:17 AM
funkutron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
This is a distribution. Two bell curves, on for women, one for men, that overlap. It would look like.....

It is both inaccurate and not factual to represent it in terms of absolutes. If anything, we would have "strength roles" instead of gender roles, and the role distribution would be represented by both genders.

While drumming is physical, the barrier of entry (the minimum physical requirement) is quite low. Hell, Karen Carpenter was like 90lbs.

If drumming is damaging your joints, either roll them tighter or take them out of your pocket before you sit down to play like the rest of us.
I use a bong, mate! LOL!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Drum contests mixed with gender biases. Surely a combination to get the DW debaters out.
My simple question is why not a "hit like a boy contest"? There isn't one because we'd all agree its a stupid name.

Last edited by opentune; 02-14-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I'm not convinced of the advantage of strength in drumming, but your chart seems a little off what I've seen before:

This is from a study that used combined grip strength as an (apparently reliable) indicator of upper body strength.

There's a discussion about the data/methodology that was used to produce the chart on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...ost_all_women/

Wandering dangerously far away from the topic, but it is interesting.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

If Senri Kawaguchi, and Anika Niles hit like girls, then what does that say bout us guys? I came across this the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-R...kbVK5ZgEkF-Dzg Like her performance or not, I totally hit like a girl by comparison. I think the contest name itself is designed to bate one against another. Pretty common these day with the we are so much better than you battle raging. Drumming' shouldn't be about how hard you can hit, but we keep making it so with ridiculous harder faster competitions. Me caveman...me beat drums!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Possibly, but women have never been excluded from playing drums, not in my 55 year experience anyway.

It could also give her the idea that she is a girl/woman drummer, whereas in fact she is just a drummer. There is to my mind no destinction.

In sports where bulk or strength are in issue then its right for women to have there own divisions, If they want them. Bur drumming? Nah, its 2017 not 1897.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, but nowt to do with gender. The individual has to have an interest in something to even want to take it in. Dont know about you but I started drumming cos I could not stop tapping on things when music was playing. No one encouraged me or forced me or suggested I try drumming, it was 100% my idea. My money, my time and my commitment.

If someone wants to take up any activity they will do it because they want to, not cos someone say "Hey look this is easy, it is aimed just at you, there are no obstacles and no problems."
Old 02-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Possibly, but women have never been excluded from playing drums, not in my 55 year experience anyway.

It could also give her the idea that she is a girl/woman drummer, whereas in fact she is just a drummer. There is to my mind no destinction.

In sports where bulk or strength are in issue then its right for women to have there own divisions, If they want them. Bur drumming? Nah, its 2017 not 1897.
Agreed, the whole notion suggests they can't play as well and should be given a special contest and consideration, so they have a chance! I wish people realized how ridiculous that sounds! I am woman...hear me roar...oh wait, I need something not as hard or competitive! Ridiculous and any self respecting woman should be offended.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, but nowt to do with gender. The individual has to have an interest in something to even want to take it in. Dont know about you but I started drumming cos I could not stop tapping on things when music was playing. No one encouraged me or forced me or suggested I try drumming, it was 100% my idea. My money, my time and my commitment.

If someone wants to take up any activity they will do it because they want to, not cos someone say "Hey look this is easy, it is aimed just at you, there are no obstacles and no problems."
Absolutely.

Funkutron, if you're going to start throwing words around and accusing me of being 'politically correct', be aware that that only serves to undermine what you're saying. It's got nothing to do with being 'politically correct' and everything to do with subscribing activities based on preconceptions of gender. Intentionally or otherwise.

Great example - colour. What makes pink inherently a 'girl' colour? Nothing. In fact, up until relatively recent history pink was in fact the colour for young boys. Yet wherever I go there are young girls (even babies) dressed in pink. What are you teaching them? That pink is a colour that only girls wear?

How about toys? I rarely see four-year-old boys with dolls. Instead, their parents buy them other toys - but rarely dolls. I see plenty of girls with toy dolls and sometimes even toy buggies and prams. What are we teaching them? That only girls can push buggies and prams and that dolls are not toys that are appropriate for boys? Why can't boys wear skirts? What is it that makes skirts inherently 'female'? Sod all. Nothing. Nada. Just outdated social conventions.

We should not ascribe activities, toys or roles onto our children based purely on their gender. Let them make their own decisions. That's why the term 'female drummer' or 'female police officer' piss me off. Being 'female' is not the defining characteristic in that position, or at least it shouldn't be. Instead being good at what they do should be the defining characteristic.

So no, it's got nothing to do with being 'politically correct', it's got everything to do with letting and encouraging people to make their own choices in life and to not feel constricted by these ridiculous social norms that have their basis in nothing more than arbitrary historical assignments.

Why people may or may not want to go into certain roles has absolutely nothing to do with you. And what you happen to find sexually attractive shouldn't change anybody else's attitude, manner, activities or appearance...
Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The very name of this undertaking is polarizing.

Drum like a musician. That way it's fair to guys, who are excluded.

Gender always makes for heated debates. At the same time, I don't want us to be homogenized into a genderless society. Gender is here for a reason. The genders are meant to provide the other half that the opposite gender lacks. No one is meant to be alone. We need the opposite gender in an equal amount that they need us. It's our duty to bridge these gaps and come together. Not genderless coming together, a willingness to accept the fact that each gender provides what the other gender lacks. Two halves of a whole. Anything that separates the genders...is not in line with the natural order IMO.

So the people who named the contest...are helping to perpetuate the separation of the genders...granted on a small scale, but it's still not what we need as a thinking, responsible society. It creates problems. We need to embrace the genders, and not try and make one better than the other. Cut an apple in half. Is there a better half? No. Same principle.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone's Dad View Post
I'm not convinced of the advantage of strength in drumming, but your chart seems a little off what I've seen before:
That chart has age on the x axis. If you pick (any) 1 year from that chart, and re-plot it, it by population, it will look the same as mine (two overlapping bell curves). The two avg datapoints on the grip graph will correspond to the two peaks on the population graph.

Same type of data, different view.

I will also point out that Men tend to have better grip strength due to (cough) "regular exercise" and not genetic predisposition alone.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I respectfully disagree. There may be few barriers to picking up the instrument & learning to play, but when it comes to gig / work opportunities, the level of exclusion through blind prejudice has been close to total in the not so distant past, & is still regrettably a significant feature in many areas of the industry.

I know & work with a number of professional female drummers & bassists. Trust me, those barriers are still out there, almost irrespective of facility. It is, however, an improving picture, so there's hope. We should all work towards removing gender as a consideration in our industry.
Sorry mate, cant agree with any of that. It is possible, even probable, that less female drummers and bassists make it to the Pro ranks, but is that not simply down to less females taking up drumming in the past, for whatever reason? Its the pyramid, the bigger the base the higher the peak.

That still douse not mean there was a barrier in place. Possibly just that less females aspired to flogging round the country with there mates in a Transit van, getting no sleep, eating too little and drinking too much. Thats what I did, and lots of musicians I know from the 60s and 70s. did the same.

Its more civilised now and that could be why more women are involved in bands and sessions. I and every musician I know have, and always have had, only one maxim when it comes to music, can you cut it.

If an old f**t like me has that attitude I dont see a problem. I still say it is mostly down to personal aspiration. If you have the ability, the aspiration and the work ethic then you will be in demand, but ability and aspiration are key.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry mate, cant agree with any of that.

That still douse not mean there was a barrier in place.
I do not know how I can convince you that it still happens extremely often.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...asketball.html

One example of many, and it's truly sickening.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Gentlemen let's get back to the competition and not the politics of equal rights and opportunity. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Someone's Dad
This message has been deleted by Someone's Dad. Reason: Hijacking thread...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Watch some 2017 entries!:
#5 is the most appealing to me of the bunch. Drummer + Hammond. Playing with other musicians. Improv with eye contact. 1-4 are expositions.

While I'm not proficient enough with the instrument to really judge anyone technically, I see a lot of linear patterns and am put off (musically) by the overplaying. That probably puts me in the same league as this guy.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I've now watched quite a few of the entries this year (randomly clicking through YouTube, having started with yours) and your performance stands out. I don't object to the competition's entry requirement of two X chromosomes, I just hate that most of the entries are soulless drum karaoke. Do we really need more of this? (From women, or men?)
Anyway, good luck. I hope that your performance is what the competition is looking to promote; drumming as music, not sport.
Quote:
Yeah, I'd seen the first two videos from your original post, but it's hard to get excited about anyone drumming along to recorded music in their bedroom/living room/home studio. I prefer Caz's video to any of those that you posted. It's live and it's real.

YMMV.
Hi Someone's Dad, this is nice to hear - thanks for the good luck :) very much appreciated. It's as much the band as myself that has entered so we're all a bit excited about the idea of new people checking out our music over the course of the contest, maybe we'll get an extra person or two along to our next gig!

I'm enjoying a lot of the videos and the effort that people have gone to - the standard is high! But it's also just nice and interesting to read other peoples' stories.

As for whether or not sexism exists in music, we all have our own perspectives and stories - if the guys here want to know what it's like to be a female that plays drums, there are loads of women around here - no need to debate or plot graphs, just ask.

Caroline

Last edited by Caz; 02-14-2017 at 11:45 PM.