DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 28th GC Drum Off Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

The drum-off is NOT an audition. It does NOT purport to be rooted in musicality in the way that 99% of drummers must function in order to work with other musicians.

Bermuda
Yes X a lot. I can't stand these things either, but look at them for way they are.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Let's keep this in the line of the Op, Bo's, original intent. It was more groove than flash, and it translated well.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

I understand it's a contest, tailor made for showing off chops. I recognize that this kid is amazingly talented and can do things that I can't begin to replicate despite my many more years behind a kit. Congratulations to this drummer and I hope he has many years of success ahead of him. With that said, drums are an accompanying instrument. Flash and drum solos generally bore me, with a few exceptions, unless they're in a musical setting -- and I'm not referring to drum karaoke, playing along to a track. Did nothing for me.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I understand it's a contest, tailor made for showing off chops. I recognize that this kid is amazingly talented and can do things that I can't begin to replicate despite my many more years behind a kit. Congratulations to this drummer and I hope he has many years of success ahead of him. With that said, drums are an accompanying instrument. Flash and drum solos generally bore me, with a few exceptions, unless they're in a musical setting -- and I'm not referring to drum karaoke, playing along to a track. Did nothing for me.
And that's cool. I think we all can appreciate total chops bombast while at the same time understand you need to be more Levon Helm to truly be the musician you're supposed to be up on the bandstand.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

The kid showed he can groove as well as solo, but there's another element that the contest doesn't test for--the ability to get along with other people. That's pretty important, considering how many groups fall apart over stupid little squabbling.