DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Possible Issue With My New PreSonus AR16 Mixer-Interface

As some of you are aware, I bought a PreSonus AR16 mixer-interface and use it to record drums. Was using a PreSonus AudioBox USB prior to that with much success using only 2 overhead condenser AT-2020 mics most of the time. Now I have this larger mixer-interface, using the same 2 overheads along with 8 dynamics on the drums. The problem is, Iím not too thrilled with the raw results after comparing it to the AudioBox as I did some tests today.

Itís as though the AR16 lacks dynamic range or something to that effect or is possibly a software issue. Everything recorded using it is considerably quieter and flatter. Increasing the levels really doesnít help and it simply goes from okay sound to okay sound thatís clipping. Adding some EQ after the fact helps immensely although the initial results should be better.

See the link below of the screenshot example. The interesting one is the imported MP3 file. This is the exact same file dragged into Studio One Artist and saved as an MP3. Notice how the file dragged into Studio One when the AR16 is running is flatter with less dynamic range when compared to the other two. Also see my drums on the bottom. Using settings as close as I possibly can, the waveform from the AR16 is very poor when compared to the AudioBox USB.

I'd like to keep this board as it's very nice and does everything I need. The results are from the same computer, Windows 10 laptop with plenty of horsepower. I'm thinking it's a driver issue of some kind although reinstalled everything and get the same results.

It's not a disaster, but just lacks the super clarity, pop and sparkle I get with the small AudioBox interface. Any suggestions much appreciated!

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/9...x-waveform.png
Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Possible Issue With My New PreSonus AR16 Mixer-Interface

I would not hesitate to put a call/e-mail out to Presonus support.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I would not hesitate to put a call/e-mail out to Presonus support.
Already did and they clearly state it could take days to reply. My software clients get crazy if I don't respond to tech support within two hours. LOL!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

What does it sound like when you isolate only the overheads? Phase issues can make things sound flat.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
What does it sound like when you isolate only the overheads? Phase issues can make things sound flat.
I tried that. Pretty much the same result unfortunately. The crazy part is the waveform difference when simply importing an MP3 or WAV file into Studio One when the AR16 is the loaded interface. I can't understand why the file would be affected?

I'll add this as well, if using their Capture 2 software to record and opening those tracks into Studio One, its quiet with poor dynamic range. Plus, if trying to play back what was recorded in Capture 2, nothing is heard. Really strange.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
I tried that. Pretty much the same result unfortunately. The crazy part is the waveform difference when simply importing an MP3 or WAV file into Studio One when the AR16 is the loaded interface. I can't understand why the file would be affected?
Huh. Yeah, I don't understand that either. Hopefully PreSonus can help. Alternately, if you happened to get it from Sweetwater, they have a pretty knowledgable staff. Helped me a lot with my old Firepod.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Huh. Yeah, I don't understand that either. Hopefully PreSonus can help. Alternately, if you happened to get it from Sweetwater, they have a pretty knowledgable staff. Helped me a lot with my old Firepod.
Yep....bought from Sweetwater. If I get nowhere with PreSonus I'll be contacting them shortly.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep....bought from Sweetwater. If I get nowhere with PreSonus I'll be contacting them shortly.
Excellent. .......................
Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

There's a couple threads the presonus forums indicating that people are experiencing low volume with the 2-ch (sd) recordings. The only thing of note is that these 2 tracks are post-main-fader.

Curiously, Does varying the main fader (or even the individual chan faders) change your results?

That MP3 import thing is strange.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
There's a couple threads the presonus forums indicating that people are experiencing low volume with the 2-ch (sd) recordings. The only thing of note is that these 2 cans are post-main-fader.

Curiously, Does varying the main fader (or even the individual chan faders) change your results?

That MP3 import thing is strange.
For the most part, no adjustment or technique changes anything. In fact, recording to the SD card via their super channel usually gets somewhat better results, here at least. But the fact that imported files are affected is troubling, as I can't see how this is possible? Just by changing the interface has a direct impact on an imported audio file into the DAW is insane.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Is Studio One using the input levels of the AR16 when importing MP3s?

Are these files going direct to SD card, and/or is there an ASIO driver being used?

Last edited by WallyY; 02-01-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

I was jerking around with it the past hour or so and I believe there's something bad with the USB. If using the built-in SD Capture to record to an SD card, all sounds great. Then I just noodled around hitting random drums and beats listening to the board with the headphones.

All was good and the kick drum sounds like a cannon and I needed to cut it back. Although when recording through USB into the DAW, the kick sounds like an empty beer can. Just nothing there, no punch, no thump, nada.

I think this one is going back for an exchange unless there's something I'm missing here....but can't imagine what?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
All was good and the kick drum sounds like a cannon and I needed to cut it back. Although when recording through USB into the DAW, the kick sounds like an empty beer can. Just nothing there, no punch, no thump, nada.

I think this one is going back for an exchange unless there's something I'm missing here....but can't imagine what?
Does the bundled "Presonus Capture" software exhibit the same issue as S1A?

Most recent driver installed?

etc, etc?

Disclaimer: Mostly curious cause I want one too.....
Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

It might be time to ask about this over at the Gearslutz.
I suspect they would have a few more people who are familiar with the equipment.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Does the bundled "Presonus Capture" software exhibit the same issue as S1A?

Most recent driver installed?

etc, etc?

Disclaimer: Mostly curious cause I want one too.....
LOL! I've recorded to the Capture 2 software and exported the channels into the DAW and get the same results. Now here's a good one.....I can't tell you if playing back a recording through Capture 2 sounds better because it doesn't work! For some reason, I get no playback through Capture 2 when hitting play. The timeline moves, the meters move, only one problem.....no output to the headphones!

Last edited by MoreBeer; 02-01-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you have to assign your output in the DAW back to the interface/board or to the computer's output from the ASIO driver settings.

If you already did that, then definitely send it back to Sweetwater.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the software and mixer, so I'm just throwing out possible suggestions that might not be applicable, but could the signal be routed before and after the Fat channel? Maybe it's adding a pad or phase?

Last edited by WallyY; 02-01-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you have to assign your output in the DAW back to the interface/board or to the computer's output from the ASIO driver settings.

If you already did that, then definitely send it back to Sweetwater.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the software and mixer, so I'm just throwing out possible suggestions that might not be applicable, but could the signal be routed before and after the Fat channel? Maybe it's adding a pad or phase?
Everything is set up correctly. The I/O with the DAW is working fine. With Capture 2, which I really don't plan to use anyway, there's a playback issue. But then again, possibly I'm missing something there as I'm not too familiar using it, but do know Studio One fairly well.

Possibly this board just sounds "different" and needs more pumping up in the DAW. Although I still can't fathom how I can be hearing so much deep, thick low-end in the headphones and getting a poppy-thin kick drum on the recording? Thereís nothing wrong with the mic as I tested it elsewhere with other recording gear and also live to a bass amp.

Currently going back and forth with Sweetwater. They're a good company to deal with. Still waiting to hear from PreSonus. I'll keep this updated as I know there's some of you looking at this mixer. It's really nice, just having some issues that I'm sure will get worked out one way or another.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everything is set up correctly. The I/O with the DAW is working fine. With Capture 2, which I really don't plan to use anyway, there's a playback issue. But then again, possibly I'm missing something there as I'm not too familiar using it, but do know Studio One fairly well.

Possibly this board just sounds "different" and needs more pumping up in the DAW. Although I still can't fathom how I can be hearing so much deep, thick low-end in the headphones and getting a poppy-thin kick drum on the recording? Thereís nothing wrong with the mic as I tested it elsewhere with other recording gear and also live to a bass amp.

Currently going back and forth with Sweetwater. They're a good company to deal with. Still waiting to hear from PreSonus. I'll keep this updated as I know there's some of you looking at this mixer. It's really nice, just having some issues that I'm sure will get worked out one way or another.
I don't think it just needs pumping in DAW. The problem with imported files indicates something else is going on. Hopefully you get it resolved! Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I don't think it just needs pumping in DAW. The problem with imported files indicates something else is going on. Hopefully you get it resolved! Good luck.
Someone from Sweetwater is going to take a look tomorrow remotely via Teamviewer to see what's going on. I'll post the outcome.

It's strange, the waveform of the imported MP3 song in that screenshot looks very different if imported when the AR16 is the loaded interface. Although I can get both tracks to sound the same (at least I think they do) by just bumping it up.

EDIT: Just bumping up the track doesn't do anything other than make it louder. The import somehow damages the track.

Who knows? There's a load of little issues here. We'll see tomorrow.

Last edited by MoreBeer; 02-01-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

I want to thank you MB for being the official DW forum guinea pig for this new piece of equipment.

I feel kind of bad having recommended it in a previous thread based on my experience with their Studiolive AI & VSL 16 products.

While all new products have teething issues, my question for Presonus is...HDYFTU?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Where are you monitoring from on your signal path? If you're monitoring from the input (i.e. pre-DAW, just after the mic pres and before it goes into the computer proper) then this would explain why it sounds so profoundly different once it's coming back out of the DAW. This is one reason why I always monitor from 'tape' (i.e. the DAW) when the latency/practicality permits.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Where are you monitoring from on your signal path? If you're monitoring from the input (i.e. pre-DAW, just after the mic pres and before it goes into the computer proper) then this would explain why it sounds so profoundly different once it's coming back out of the DAW. This is one reason why I always monitor from 'tape' (i.e. the DAW) when the latency/practicality permits.
I need to look into this more invasively tonight. But at this point, as I stated before, just an imported MP3 or other audio track is being adversely affected when the AR16 is the active interface. It's not just the quality of the recording itself. What a headache. Hopefully it gets rectified as I would have been happy with just an analog 10 input mixer feeding the AudioBox as I really could care less about editing 10 drum tracks. Just a music track or two and the drums as a stereo track would have sufficed....at least for me. In fact, that's how I'd be using this most of the time.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

90% of the time, what you're describing sounds like a sub-par driver or USB implementation. I've had similar things happen with my interface after OS updates and once a new driver has been released, everything has been dandy.

If you're running a PC it could be an issue with the motherboard USB controller and the AR16, in which case a driver update should fix the issue. Or it could be an OS compatibility problem - in which case a driver update should also fix the issue.

I think your best bet is to wait from that call with Presonus and in the meantime (if you have another), try another computer and see if that works better.

EDIT: Just checked the block diagram for the AR16 (page 23 in the manual) and it looks like your monitor mixes are by default set on the input, as I thought. In which case I'm pretty sure it's a driver/compatibility issue. See if you can monitor from your DAW (often there is an 'Input Monitoring' option on the DAW channel strip and re-route it back into the desk in whatever way works - often output 1-2 on the stereo master channel) and then if it'll probably sound weak and feeble - as you're describing. In which case, the desk itself is fine.

This may mean going into a settings panel for the AR16 and turning off the monitoring options. Without actually being there and knowing the hardware/software I can't provide specific instructions!

It won't solve the issue at all but it is the proper way to diagnose it.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 02-01-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
90% of the time, what you're describing sounds like a sub-par driver or USB implementation. I've had similar things happen with my interface after OS updates and once a new driver has been released, everything has been dandy.

If you're running a PC it could be an issue with the motherboard USB controller and the AR16, in which case a driver update should fix the issue. Or it could be an OS compatibility problem - in which case a driver update should also fix the issue.

I think your best bet is to wait from that call with Presonus and in the meantime (if you have another), try another computer and see if that works better.

EDIT: Just checked the block diagram for the AR16 and it looks like your monitor mixes are by default set on the input, as I thought. In which case I'm pretty sure it's a driver/compatibility issue. See if you can monitor from your DAW (often there is an 'Input Monitoring' option on the DAW channel strip and re-route it back into the desk in whatever way works - often output 1-2 on the stereo master channel) and then if it'll probably sound weak and feeble - as you're describing. In which case, the desk itself is fine.

This may mean going into a settings panel for the AR16 and turning off the monitoring options. Without actually being there and knowing the hardware/software I can't provide specific instructions!
I have a load of other computers although they're all big desktops. The other laptops I have are older. I do have a fairly new 27" iMac that I use for software development mostly. It would be a project to drag that down and set it up. Although if I get nowhere with PreSonus, I'd do it when time allows.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

That's a bit of a pain. It's less likely to have an issue with the Mac because of the more standardised hardware but I'm sure I'm telling you things you already know!

Might be worth dragging out the old laptop and just trying it with a couple of channels of recording.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED!

After some experimentation and research, apparently, this likes to be used in its own AR16 specific mode within the DAW, Studio One, as a true multi-channel device.

Will post details and screenshots tomorrow at some point. Works friggin GREAT! Output is clear and crisp. In fact, I needed to cut way back on some channels, especially the overheads. Kick is now booming and full. Toms sound great. It's like night and day.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Okay brothersÖ.after looking deeper into my issues with the AR16 last night, itís resolved. The problems were a combination of vague documentation on behalf of PreSonus and me expecting the mixer-interface to work in a manner that was not providing acceptable results. Although by all means should have.

It turns out the AR16 is very tightly integrated with Studio One and all needs to be setup exactly for this model, in multiple ways to get perfect recordings. If not, your experience is going to be painful. So possibly my experience will help at some point as its an excellent product. And now after getting all working correctly, I would highly recommend buying one.

The Primary Issue Ė Song Setup
I was initially setting up a new empty song project, dragging in an MP3 or two, followed by adding a single stereo channel for the drums and making sure all the other channels are being fed into the single stereo channel. Sometimes Iíd add another channel or two for specific mics. One would think this would work. NOT! In fact, the PreSonus manual demonstrates this method when setting up a new song! Well, it does work, but the recording sounds like garbage and for some reason, the imported MP3ís, WAVís, whatever are diminished in some way. (This method does work if using a small 2 channel interface such as the AudioBox USB)

The solution? Not only does the AR16 need to be chosen as the active and loaded interface, which is quite obvious. But also required is when setting up a new song, you MUST select Interfaces and then choose a StudioLive AR16 USB Session. See the first screenshot at bottom of message. Without that, and instead just creating an empty song, then adding your channels manually, you might as well just break out the ass kicking machine.

What the StudioLive AR16 USB Session creates can be seen in the second screenshot below. The DAW filled by every available output as a correctly configured channel along with master channels such as a 2 track return.

Channels not required or used can be shut off or deleted. Itís also possible to create a template from a new song with that works well for your drums. Obviously many different templates can be saved.

Just for good measure, after everything was up and running, I selected the AR16 as the default playback device for the computer. This allows all audio from other sources on the computer to play through the AR16. Now, I was able to test if importing an MP3 into Studio One with the specific AR16 setup changed the dynamics as it did previously. I imported a song, the same one used in my example from the other day into Studio One. I also imported the same file into iTunes and set the EQ on iTunes to flat. When playing each back, they were identical in every way. So, say goodbye to that issue as well!

Upon completion, each channel can now be adjusted in the DAW or to make it easy, (at least for me) export all the drum tracks into one track or any combination of such into several files in your choice of format, open a new session and drag those back into Studio One. Or use any other DAW for final editing.

I have a LONG way to go with this project and have limited knowledge of recording and the features of Studio One, although I can say this muchÖ.it now sounds wonderful and has actually exceeded my expectations.

Song Setup

DAW After Setting Up An AR16 Specific Session:
Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Well I am tickled to death that someone on here is familiar with Studio One you could have been a huge help 5 months ago. I was getting ready to send it back.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Have you figured out how to use the pre-roll. Were it counts to 4 or whatever before the song begins. I cant do songs that start right off with drums except come in late.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Templates are the real key here. I've been fiddling around with my Pro Tools setup at work and it's much quicker to load into templates for the hardware that you're using - in my case an Avid HD I/O and a Focusrite that ADATs into the HD I/O.

No, it's not intuitive necessarily but it is the 'right' way to do it...
Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
Have you figured out how to use the pre-roll. Were it counts to 4 or whatever before the song begins. I cant do songs that start right off with drums except come in late.
I haven't looked into that yet but plan to, possibly tonight as I need this feature as well. When I was using the 2 channel AudioBox, I had a small file I made that was maybe 5 seconds long containing stick clicks. I'd import that and then start the song and the drum tracks at the end of it. Not exactly high-tech but worked. It was easy as I was only working with 2 or 3 tracks. But now with a multitude of tracks do deal with and move around, this method would be messy.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

That is good news indeed. Question:

Once configured as an interface, does the AR console continue to serve as a mixer, control surface, both, or neither?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

also interested in studio one preroll. haha

also thanks.. I have been doing it the New track add tracks way.

Going to see if any difference on my 16.0.2 seems to work fine otherwise.

I will give studio one this.. once you get it going it is VERY easy to use and understand.. Plus the default effects and presets sound really good with minimal tweaking
Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That is good news indeed. Question:

Once configured as an interface, does the AR console continue to serve as a mixer, control surface, both, or neither?
It's not possible to control the DAW through the mixer, so its just a mixer-interface. I guess you can't have it all for $599?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's not possible to control the DAW through the mixer, so its just a mixer-interface. I guess you can't have it all for $599?
This may be a blessing. Does it continue to function as a Mixer... For example:

I'm Jo Drummer, playing a live gig. I'm using the AR16 as my stage mixer and plug into my laptop to record my performance. I hit Record on my laptop DAW and........

The mixer takes a shit?
The mixer continues doing what it's supposed to?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
This may be a blessing. Does it continue to function as a Mixer... For example:

I'm Jo Drummer, playing a live gig. I'm using the AR16 as my stage mixer and plug into my laptop to record my performance. I hit Record on my laptop DAW and........

The mixer takes a shit?
The mixer continues doing what it's supposed to?
Yes, it can do that. But its even easier just to pop an SD card into the built-in SD Capture Record feature, click the Record Button and everything gets recorded to the card. No DAW or computer is required.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I haven't looked into that yet but plan to, possibly tonight as I need this feature as well. When I was using the 2 channel AudioBox, I had a small file I made that was maybe 5 seconds long containing stick clicks. I'd import that and then start the song and the drum tracks at the end of it. Not exactly high-tech but worked. It was easy as I was only working with 2 or 3 tracks. But now with a multitude of tracks do deal with and move around, this method would be messy.
I will be following you closely and we can help each other out. Studio One is a Jeanie in the bottle we just got to unlock it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I will be following you closely and we can help each other out. Studio One is a Jeanie in the bottle we just got to unlock it.
I also think Studio One is very good, just scratching the surface of it now. Still a ton to learn and experiment with. I think the Artist version is all that most of us drummers need. An upgrade is available to the Pro version from Artist, although it's most likely overkill for what I use it for.

What I do now is record on the laptop followed by saving the files in a lossless format. Save those files to a network drive then use Studio One or sometimes Garage Band on a 27" iMac for editing. It's so much easier working on that big, high resolution screen.

I have a Mackie ProFX8v2 mixer hooked up to the iMac and use the USB Codec to send all the output from the iMac through that mixer. It's pretty cool as I have the main outs hooked up to a small, powered Klipsch speaker system with a subwoofer and obviously using headphones too.

So its a nice environment to jerk around with my feeble recording adventure. Plus I can plug a bass or guitar into the mixer and add a guitar track. This only works in Garage Band as Studio One doesn't recognize input from an analog mixer....needs an interface.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

There is a very friendly StudioLive Facebook group. Sign up there.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The pre-roll is actually the pre-count, its very easy to implement and to adjust to taste. I'll post some screenshots and instructions early next week to this thread.

Additionally, the pre-count settings will be integrated into a newly made template, so its not required to set this up with every new project.