DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Outrages prices for used gear that you want.

Does anyone here have experience on how to talk someone down who has an outrageous idea of what their used gear is worth?
I hate to break it to them, but used cymbals just aren't going for much nowadays and just because something isn't made anyone does make it worth a ton of money.

I don't want to link a direct posting, but I saw a 17" Zildjian Remix Ride listed for $190! One sold on ebay 1 year ago for $90. I tried to present that to the seller and he or she said that "The item was priced fairly".....well...good luck with that one!

It's frustrating when gear you want is no longer made and people think it's practically worth its weight in gold. Most drum items were discontinued because there was no demand for them. And there still isn't much of one just a few years later.

Anyone here experienced this frustration and found a resolution, other than wait months for the seller to lower the price?

Thanks!

Buddy Rich
Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Outrages prices for used gear that you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Grip View Post

Anyone here experienced this frustration and found a resolution, other than wait months for the seller to lower the price?
The other alternative is find/wait for a similar item to pop up for sale by a different seller, possibly on a marketplace.
Personally, I don't haggle sellers over their price (unless it's a "best offer/make offer" situation).
Old 01-30-2017, 09:16 PM

I think a lot of people selling at unreasonable prices are hoping they catch an impulse buyer or someone in panic mode. I know when I first started buying vintage gear I bought a Speed King for more than it was worth simply because I didn't know when I'd find another one. It turned out I'd find another one at least once a week... every week.

I'm lucky that I have so little money to spend on drums right now that every price is too high.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

The market sets the price. If you really want it, you'll pay more than you want to. Also, if the seller thinks the price is fair, they really don't care what you think they should sell it for and aren't likely to adjust the price. Another consideration is that some people don't NEED to sell things right away and are willing to wait for someone to arrive at their price.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Depends how badly the seller wants a sale or how badly the buyer wants the item.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

You're in kind of a weak position when you ask somebody to lower their price on this thing you really want, on the basis that nobody wants it. My reaction would be something like: Huh? You want it.

Probably what I would do is show them some links/screenshots of other completed auctions with that model of cymbal selling at a lower price, then make them an offer slightly higher than average. Since there's is the only one up for sale right now, and you really want it, you can't really expect them to sell it to you for the lowest price from a year ago.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

If what you think it's worth is less than the seller's reserve, then you'll have to wait until they re-list it with a lower reserve.

I don't think there's any appropriate way to talk someone down when they've already put thought into what they want to get for it.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks to eBay, this isn't anything new sadly.

Finding a bargain is tough these days. I agree people see something online going for top dollar and they follow suit. If people are silly enough to pay it then it will keep happening.

Plus you have cretins with bidding apps so if you see something you want you bid higher in hope you beat these cretins at the last second. I got done by one of these on a 1967 Super Classic. I nearly cried.

The 2nd hand market used to be amazing. Before internet shopping came along you could actually walk into an independent drum shop where the owners were drummers. The shop I used to go into had some cracking 2nd hand gear and they didn't want the earth for it.

Most of the smaller shops are long gone and internet shopping isn't any cheaper thanks to postage
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 PM

I have to wonder if everyone having Google at their fingertips makes its easier for people to price used items higher (either misguided, or fairly). I can't help but think the first thing anyone does before they throw it up for sale is Google it to ensure it isn't something that may have a "vintage" or "rarity" value. Gone are the days of of finding hidden gems at garage sales and thrift stores...at least I've never come across one. Particularly I find anything old gets a "Vintage" moniker, and suddenly its gold. Reality is, sometimes old is just that...out-dated and in need of service, not exactly worth paying a premium for.
The only way I've haggled on used items has been a polite message asking if they would consider X amount. If it's fair, usually we can agree. If the price is firm and way out of line, let them have it sit in their space as a constant reminder of their overvaluation.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Grip View Post
Does anyone here have experience on how to talk someone down who has an outrageous idea of what their used gear is worth?
I hate to break it to them, but used cymbals just aren't going for much nowadays and just because something isn't made anyone does make it worth a ton of money.

I don't want to link a direct posting, but I saw a 17" Zildjian Remix Ride listed for $190! One sold on ebay 1 year ago for $90. I tried to present that to the seller and he or she said that "The item was priced fairly".....well...good luck with that one!

It's frustrating when gear you want is no longer made and people think it's practically worth its weight in gold. Most drum items were discontinued because there was no demand for them. And there still isn't much of one just a few years later.

Thanks!
The breakbeat ride isn't a very good cymbal, have you ever played / heard one. I would move on.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:42 AM

I use vintage (ie 80's in this instance) Sonor gear and have a decent collection of the Link era snare drums and a beautiful Phonic Plus kit. I have noticed that some of the prices being asked for gear are getting a bit ridiculous. There's a late 80s HiLite (good but not the most desirable Sonors in the world) advertised in the US, bass drum and 4 toms for 2700 GBP, or $3300 roughly and that's after the price has been reduced by 25% or so.

In the UK an identical kit has sat unsold on Ebay for 900 for months now. The market does need to settle a bit and for people to be slightly more realistic about what they ask for things.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Some sellers don't get it.

In December - I may have mentioned this - I bought a Mapex Saturn V kit.

While I was looking around, I found seller of a Saturn IV kit on Ebay. The IV's had one more rack tom than the V's that I was looking at. But the (used) IV's were on Ebay with a BIN/make an offer. I offered 2/3 of the asking, linked to NEW kits at similar to the asking on Ebay and retail sites, so I wasn't just coming up with a random low number: I figured 2/3 of new was a fair price.

The seller wasn't interested...and the kit is still for sale, and still at the same price.

Numpty!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I see it on Craigslist daily. I look at drum related items and tools. Some people bend, most have no clue. I've given up haggling. If the seller wants to sell he will catch on.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Guy buys new kit. Wife requires him to put the old one up for sale. Guy does what he is told. :)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
Guy buys new kit. Wife requires him to put the old one up for sale. Guy does what he is told. :)
Ooohh. Now I get it.

And there's stupid me actually selling stuff.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:05 PM

The people selling vintage Ludwig keys for $75 need to calm down.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
That is an excellent point.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 PM

This kit was posted on the Houston Craigslist a couple months ago. The seller wanted $2,000.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:19 PM

I usually steer clear of any ad that says something like: "Over 2500.00 invested.." That means the seller thinks it's worth whaterver price. Like the classic 1200.00 Exports with ZBT's.

I get it. We spend a lot on gear brand new, but just like cars. Once you buy it new it loses a lot of value in most cases.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Its the owners perogative to ask what they want for it, perhaps they are not desperate to sell. They have it, and if you want it badly enough you pay. Or not. Simple.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Offer them what you are willing to pay. They may take it, they may not. All you have to do is ask and see.

If you REALLY want something, sometimes you may have to overpay a little to get EXACTLY what you want. For example, if my grandfather played guitar, and I knew someone was selling it...and on the surface it's only worth $1000, but he's charging $2000, chances are I'd go ahead and pay the extra money to have exactly what I want.

You don't have to ask yourself what it's worth. You have to ask yourself, "What is this worth to ME?"
Old 02-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have a few takes...

First is supply and demand. They have it, You want it.... if you cant find a cheaper one as much as it sucks you'll end up buying some of their overpriced stuff or someone will. Your already thinking about it. lol

Second, impulse buys.. People list stuff very high and often get it. Or "uneducated" 'buyers.

I buy and sell alot online and see this myself and it DOES blow my mind, but it's good business. Ask high, because you ARE going to get lowballed and take a bit less.

Same tactic as a store constantly keeping their prices at double and having 50% off sales... Seems like your getting a steal rather than paying the same price with no deal.

Or you could just be like me. Maybe the wife tells you to get rid of something so you say "okay i'll post it online honey". And you post the price near what you bought it for because you really don't want it to go.. I have done this a few times and people have offered asking price. At that point I guess i'll sell it.

If the seller is not in a rush they usual post it way to high, wait, drop it a bit, wait and keep going. If they are motivated that is when you can get a deal.

To me drums retain value. They are wood. You can see them and check them. Cymbals are pieces of metal you smash. they could have hairline cracks in them not viable. A ride cymbal will most likely last forever, and bronze/brass isn't cheap. A china or crash is another story.

My biggest issue is 15 year old EKITS going for thousands. I get that you overpaid a ton for that thing but it's now old technology. New heads won't fix that.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

You can buy some pretty nice entry to mid level shell packs new nowadays for modest costs relatively. After christmas I decided to look for a cheap used kit for future gigging possibilities-something I can abuse and not worry about but still be a decent kit. I was looking at the older Mapex Meridian maples but I was at a local music store and talking to this "dude" about my interest and he told me he could be competitive for online pricing. I wanted a maple kit and wanted to try some larger sizes so I went with a new Pearl Decade maple shell pack 13, 16, 24 for like $580 all told-I'm like dang giving it away. Which is about the online cost it seems. The kick size sold me on this kit-always wanted to try one. I just got it and it comes in a relatively small box-it's all nested in there. The shells are extremely light and thin and though the UT heads (the tom reso heads are some funky model almost like a hazy so thin and soft) it sounds pretty dang good. I'm digging the larger sizes too so I'm pretty happy right now.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:25 PM

I always just keep in mind that top end cymbals are fairly priced somewhere in the 8-10 dollars per inch range. Double braced boom stands in any working condition will be 30 bucks at a minimum. Shell packs can be all over the place, but even the top end shells are only worth half what they cost new. Exceptions would be something like vintage VistaLites. Oddly enough, it's the cheaper shells that seem to retain value better. A decent condition pack that was $400 new still will fetch 300 a few years later, but if you're lucky you can catch one with a complete set of cheap cymbals and average hardware for only slightly more. That's how it is in my area at least..
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Rashidi View Post
The market sets the price. If you really want it, you'll pay more than you want to. Also, if the seller thinks the price is fair, they really don't care what you think they should sell it for and aren't likely to adjust the price. Another consideration is that some people don't NEED to sell things right away and are willing to wait for someone to arrive at their price.
I often buy and sell gear and as a seller I set a price and I'm relatively firm about it.
I'll not lower my price because some unknown guys thinks it's too high.

Some sellers are unrealistic but some buyers are unrealistic too.

I've a guy that lowballed me on some of my ads for at least 10 years and never buys anything.
I sold every items that he lowballed on at or close to my asking price.
The worst is that this guy takes himself very seriously and ask many questions before making his lowball offers.

Last edited by singleflammedmill; 02-03-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

I think a private sale of a used item more than a few years old really shouldn't be put up for more than 50% of the new price.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I think a private sale of a used item more than a few years old really shouldn't be put up for more than 50% of the new price.
Why?

Some items conserve their value better than others.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Some of these ads irk me too. But there is a sucker born every minute. Some sellers are just putting up an item for a ridiculous price waiting for a 'sucker' who knows nothing to buy it.
I have seen people re-post the same stupid item at a ridiculous price for 5 years or more.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Ghostnote

I'm guilty of paying a little more than I should for cymbals, but when I've been looking a long time for something discontinued, sometimes I just have to grab it because I don't know if another one will ever come along.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleflammedmill View Post
Why?

Some items conserve their value better than others.
I'm sure there are lots of exceptions to my general statement; for extremely in-demand items, or unique/rare items... But that's usually a case where the asking price on the market has nothing to do with the original sale price anyway.

I'm really aiming more at the guys who try and sell mass-produced drum items for 80% of the new value, knowing full well they've been hitting it with sticks for years, and the buyer will lose all the benefits of the original purchase with the retailer.

Like others have said, though, lots of folks have more money than sense, and will impulse buy stupidly priced items. It's still kind of a free country, I think.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

yeah, I'm on board with Dr Watso. 50% of the original sale price is pretty much the standard for used stuff in good shape if you want to sell it in a reasonable amount of time. Move up or down from there depending on what it is, and condition.

And my experience selling things on line like kijiji here in Canada, the first 24 hours is a bunch of ridiculous low ball offers that just piss me off. So no I'm not going to haggle on something at all, at least until the buyer shows up in person to look at it. And I'm not taking a lower offer or trade just because you really want something of mine. I had a guy once wanted to trade me a lesser ride cymbal for a ride cymbal I was selling, that I wasn't interested in, "for the sake of a trade". Uhhh no.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
JohnoWorld

So I've just bought a couple of Paiste 2000 cymbals, a ride and a crash for 70 each. For a cymbal in good condition (even if it's from the 80's) then I accept this is a good price.

You can then compare that to others who are just asking waaaay over the top for similar things. eg, Paiste 2002 cymbals that have been lathed down are still prices at 150+.

I think the phrase "it's worth what the market is prepared to pay" is misleading because if the price is too high, the market won't buy it. If no-one wants it at all, how long do you have to keep relisting it on ebay before you've spent the equivalent of what its worth?

Years ago I saw a nice Tama 14 x 7 bronze snare for something crazy so I ignored it. 2 years later the same drum was still on ebay at the same price so I sent him an email saying that I am interested but not at that price. Instead of trying to compromise, he just said "no, that's the price, pay it or don't"

I honestly think that some people are just pig-headed, others are chancers, whenever I've seen something sold, it has always been for a price that I agree with. it's the same with everyone on there, they think they can blag but forget that the reason we go to ebay is to buy 2nd hand goods at good prices.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Hey if you want to save money you have to haggle with the price gougers.

It's not worth it to me, but some people are really good at that kind of thing. The only thing I ever got from CL is the drums I gig with. I needed an inexpensive set for a rehearsal space that I could leave set up. So I started looking with the intention of getting a bass drum, a floor tom, and 1 or 2 racks. Straight away I saw a set of PDP's in White Onyx (WMP) that was about 2 miles from my house. For $125.00! 22, 12, 14 plus a 14 x 5 matching snare. I added a 10" tom and later got a newer PDP concept maple 16" legged floor tom and re-wrapped it to match.

CL is great because for me the shipping messes everything up. I have die cast hoops for sale at 35 each which is a little below market. To me it doesn't make sense to go ebay, then I have to take my time and ship it out...not worth it. Someone local can drive by and pick it up, that's the way to go.

CL = haggle, the way most people price their gear. It is outrageous. Rediculous even. Every once in a while you snag a good deal. Ask Red Menace.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
I honestly think that some people are just pig-headed, others are chancers, whenever I've seen something sold, it has always been for a price that I agree with. it's the same with everyone on there, they think they can blag but forget that the reason we go to ebay is to buy 2nd hand goods at good prices.
I've seen it several times, like an alarming amount of times where people are literally delusional about how much their stuff is worth. I think they convince themselves that when they go to sell it they'll get "x" and then just get stubborn when nobody wants their stuff for what they think it's worth.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
This kit was posted on the Houston Craigslist a couple months ago. The seller wanted $2,000.

Forget the drums....how much for those drapes?