DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM

Default My Jazz kit

My new DW shells arrived last Sunday at Guitar Center. You've got to like GREEN as I do, I guess!! I've had a psssion for the old Gretsch Emerald Green for a very long time and this is about as close to it as I could find.

DW Maple Emerald Onyx FinishPly.
20x16 virgin bass (stock batter/reso straight out of the box)
16x14 floor tom with legs (Remo coated Amb batter/stock reso)
12x9 rack tom (Remo coated Amb batter/stock reso)
1975 Slinglerland Chrome snare (Remo coated Emp batter/stock reso-need to change both)

Vintage (US not Turkish circa 1966 got from a relative) Zildjians
14 in HH
20 in Left ride
22 in ride with 8 rivets
18 in crash
(I stick duct tape to the underside of 20/22 in cymbals to get a "drier" sound. anyone else try this?)
14 in Paiste Fast Crash

Tama Iron Cobra HH and double bass pedal
DW/Yamaha and Ludwig stand
DW Airlift Throne with backrest (best money I ever spent!)

Well, that's about it.

75 sling
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Jazz kit

Whoa! That makes my eyes vibrate. Beautiful finish, top-quality drums and hardware.

I do wish DW had smaller hardware, though. They're so impressed with themselves that they have to put huge lugs, huge badges and huge suspension mounts to give their stuff the trademarked appearance.

The finish is mindblowing and I'd rather see less hardware and more drum. Just my two cents.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Dude that is an AMAZING finish. And sweet vintage zildjians.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Whoa! That makes my eyes vibrate. Beautiful finish, top-quality drums and hardware.

I do wish DW had smaller hardware, though. They're so impressed with themselves that they have to put huge lugs, huge badges and huge suspension mounts to give their stuff the trademarked appearance.

The finish is mindblowing and I'd rather see less hardware and more drum. Just my two cents.
That can be remedied with DW's 9000 Series hardware. The stands have a much sleeker, thinner profile, especially with the flat-bases.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 AM

Thanks, Guys,

Maddrummr, looks like you also have a "soft spot" for green finish drums :)
Old 03-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sling View Post
Thanks, Guys,

Maddrummr, looks like you also have a "soft spot" for green finish drums :)
lol yea, I do like green finishes very very, much.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Awsome cymbal selection. Amazing set. Sick finish. What more could you want?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 PM

WOW......great set up....cymbals, drums, finish....everything.....wow
Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 PM

thanks, again.

Gretsch223, the attached pic is a vintage Gretsch Emerald Green finish that I loved and is the reason for me ordering the DW Emerald Onyx.

thanks
75sling
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Jusstickinaround

I love that DW kit, the cymbals are cool as well..
I also have a 22" vintage Zildjian ride, I was thinking of putting three rivets in it, how do you like the sound with the rivets? Do you still own the Gretsch? That is one fine kit as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Hey Jusstickinaround,

Thanks. I like the sizzle sound very much. To me, it has a very jazzy sound. I have have six rivets in mine and three would also be a very good choice (sort of mid way between a pure ride and a sizzle).

I sent my 22 inch cymbal off to Zildjian ( I live about 1.5 hrs away from Zildjian in MA) via UPS at 9:am on a Monday morning and it was sitting on my from steps at 2:30 pm that Wednesday. Unbelievable!

If you do have Zlidjian do it, call them and get an RA# (return authorization #) which you write on the outside or your package and also include it inside. Indicate how many rivets you want, spacing (equaly spaced, closer together etc) and how far from the outer ege and you have it.

Avedis Zildjian Company
International Headquarters
22 Longwater Drive
Norwell, MA 02061
United States of America

The pic of the Gretsch was just a pic that I had but did not own the kit but it was the Gretsch finish that made me order the emeral onyx for the DW's.

Hope the info helped.

thanks, again

75sling
Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 AM
KARL MEMBER

Hot. I mean also those Zildjians! Those sound so beautiful. Though I see them very often on ebay, cymbalscellar etc.

mhhh, why are muffling your toms? I`m just curious.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Karl,
Thanks. Well, for no other reason than just trying to keep the volume down just a bit for the neigbors...

Any new recordings?

regards

75sling
Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Your set is beautiful. The finish is gorgeous. Enjoy! Joey
Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Hey joeybeats,

Thanks and your red sparkle DW kit is making me DROOOOOOOOL!! WOW!

The Ludwig snare is new, I assume? How do you like it and how does is compliment the the dw sound? The reason I ask is that I just bought a 1971 supraphonic on ebay and should get it by end of next week (I hope). I hope I will not be dissapointed.

thanks, again

75sling
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Karl,
Thanks. Well, for no other reason than just trying to keep the volume down just a bit for the neigbors...
Oh yes, understand. How are they tuned? Do they have long sustain without the mufflers? or does it sound very classical?

Quote:
Any new recordings?

regards

75sling
you ask whether I have some new recordings? Or do I understand that sentence wrong?
If you ask me: No, not yet. I sold my HHX Evolution hats some days ago (to Raymond Bloom) and now I wait for my new Istanbul Agop Turk hats 14"...then I can work on with Hi-Hat. =)

Though at the moment mainly my pad is pleasing me with its unique tone. ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Karl,
With the original stock heads, the toms did have somewhat of a long sustain. When I changed the heads (just the batter heads, reso's are still stock) on the toms to Remo coated Amassadors, it gave me a much shorter sustain and a bit deeper and warmer tone. I chose Remo coated because they are slightly "rougher" than Evans. A bit later on, I'm going to try the Remo Renaissance heads. Their ad claims that the finish on the heads are the closest yet to actual calfskin.

And yes, I wanted to know if you and/or your band had recorded anything new? I enjoyed your previous recordings very much on drums and piano.

best regards
75sling
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 AM

Nice kit; I love the green wraps!

You know what would look great with that kit?

Some of those retro-flat based cymbal stands, I forget who makes them, but I have always thought they really made a jazz kit look like a jazz kit.

Congratulations, that's a real beauty!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks, Salicete

You know, I was thinking of that myself! Both DW (6000 series HW) and Gibraltar make the flat based stands.

I'm going to check them out.

Take care

75sling
Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey joeybeats,

Thanks and your red sparkle DW kit is making me DROOOOOOOOL!! WOW!

The Ludwig snare is new, I assume? How do you like it and how does is compliment the the dw sound? The reason I ask is that I just bought a 1971 supraphonic on ebay and should get it by end of next week (I hope). I hope I will not be dissapointed.

thanks, again

75sling
Thanks for the nice comments regarding the Ruby Glass finish, 75sling. Still, this week anyway, I like your finish better. Green wraps are strong!

My Ludwig is great, though I haven't played many others and have limited experience. I like the ring it produces and I'm not muffling it. Rimshots are A+. I've recently been playing brush patterns and some latin grooves ... I have a new love affair going with the thing. With sticks or brushes, snares off and it is really sweet.
And yes, it was purchased new last summer. I never bought a DW snare, went with the Black Beauty from the get-go at the the suggestion of a few of the board members here. It sounds awesome with the DW kit. I have it tuned pretty high and it fits nicely with a run around the toms.
I'm sure once you throw on your favorite heads, a good set of snare wires, and tune it up, you will be completely satisfied with your purchase. Get a pic up once you have the time. Again, great set you have there. Joey

One more thing ... I just noticed that you have the DW pillow in the kick, and coated heads on the toms. If you have the ability and the time, consider taking the pillow out and putting clears on those toms for a testrun. Your 20" kick will amaze you with even a light jazz feathering. When you combine it with your great 12 and 16 toms, you have some amazing drums with huge singing potential. Add your new Supra and wow. If you need to tone the kick down from there, consider trying a $1 piece of felt across the inside of one or both of the kick heads. You can always put the set back to the way you have it if it doesn't sound good to you or otherwise doesn't suit your needs. Finally, I use a set of talla wands when I need to play softly and quite frankly, they seem like a perfect $15 addition to most stick bags. Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 03-28-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM

[quote=joeybeats;293108]Thanks for the nice comments regarding the Ruby Glass finish, 75sling. Still, this week anyway, I like your finish better. Green wraps are strong!

My Ludwig is great, though I haven't played many others and have limited experience. I like the ring it produces and I'm not muffling it. Rimshots are A+. I've recently been playing brush patterns and some latin grooves ... I have a new love affair going with the thing. With sticks or brushes, snares off and it is really sweet.
And yes, it was purchased new last summer. I never bought a DW snare, went with the Black Beauty from the get-go at the the suggestion of a few of the board members here. It sounds awesome with the DW kit. I have it tuned pretty high and it fits nicely with a run around the toms.
I'm sure once you throw on your favorite heads, a good set of snare wires, and tune it up, you will be completely satisfied with your purchase. Get a pic up once you have the time. Again, great set you have there. Joey

One more thing ... I just noticed that you have the DW pillow in the kick, and coated heads on the toms. If you have the ability and the time, consider taking the pillow out and putting clears on those toms for a testrun. Your 20" kick will amaze you with even a light jazz feathering. When you combine it with your great 12 and 16 toms, you have some amazing drums with huge singing potential. Add your new Supra and wow. If you need to tone the kick down from there, consider trying a $1 piece of felt across the inside of one or both of the kick heads. You can always put the set back to the way you have it if it doesn't sound good to you or otherwise doesn't suit your needs. Finally, I use a set of talla wands when I need to play softly and quite frankly, they seem like a perfect $15 addition to most stick bags. Joebeats

Joeybeats

Thanks, again for the info.

I, too, opted not to go with a dw snare. When I ordered the kit, there were a couple of dw kits on display at Guitar Center and I just did not like the sound of the dw (maple) snare drums. maybe they were not tuned properly but I did not like the sound.

Regarding the BD, I saw a Joe Morello video and he was playing a dw kit and he said "exactly" what you said about a strip of felt and I will try it without the pillow.

The only reason I changed the stock heads on the toms was that I wanted a bit less of a "stick" sound. The coated heads seem to be a bit warmer?? What heads are you now using on your toms?

thanks again.

75sling
BTW, any time you want to trade, just let me know!! lol

Last edited by 75sling; 03-28-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot one thing
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

I'm using the stock DW heads, which are mfg'd by Remo for DW. They have a different crimping system around the rings, made to DW spec's, but are the same material as the clear ambassadors. They also have a coated ring around the edge, maybe one inch around, and sound nice. MFB posted a link to a site where a Remo tour was reported and there was quite a good explanation of the mfg process and the detailed specifics, but I can't locate it now. Maybe someone else or MFB will put it up here for you.

Edit- Found it!
www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1195&Source=Search&txtSearch=Rem o|tour

Anyway, I have purchased a replacement set of Remo clear ambassadors for tops and bottoms and plan on switching them out as soon as they are needed. Would have purchased the replacement DW heads, but I don't want anything to interefer with Remo contacting me for a sponsorship deal. I suspect they are looking for my contact info at this very moment. LOL

When I'm ready to trade, you're at the top of the list with that beauty of yours! Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 03-29-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM

holy cow
my new favourite color is green :D
super nice kit man
very comfortable too i bet !
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Harakirie;

Thanks, man. Yes, I love green on drums. Natural, wraps, sparkle, fade, what ever, so long as it's green.

The throne with the back rest is the best money I spent!!

take care
75sling
Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
No, not yet. I sold my HHX Evolution hats some days ago (to Raymond Bloom) and now I wait for my new Istanbul Agop Turk hats 14"...then I can work on with Hi-Hat. =)
and I still haven't received your hats lol

75sling, beautiful drums (green is my favourite color), cymbals and a great set up, maybe a bit too big sizes for me, but it's your set up not mine khehe

a fellow trad grip player?

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Raymond,

Thanks.

I'm sure they are on their way....my feeling is that Karl is a good guy so not to worry (which I'm sure you are not).

take care
75sling
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm sure they are on their way....my feeling is that Karl is a good guy so not to worry (which I'm sure you are not).
Everything is cool, I'm just too impatient! I want 'em now! :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 AM
millerdakiller

you play jazz with an iron cobra?

nice kit yo
Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Millerdakiller,

I started getting into jazz about a year ago (wedding bands/top 40 previously). I started learning to read (with many suggesteions from members) about two months ago. The IC is a carryover from my other kit but I seldom use the left pedal.

Take care
75sling
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Pioneer Member

nice kit man ! I have a DW jazz kit too !
So beautiful...
Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 AM

Hey, man

WOW, what a beautiful kit Jazz kit! I love DW's version of Green/Emerald Onyx.

I'll bet they have a killer sound! Awsome vintage cymbals. How's the 22 inch with the rivets sound?

Just out of curiosity, is that a Slingerland COB snare? GREAT sounding snare if it is.

Thanks and congrats!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Thanks Supra72.

Yes, I really like the fullness sound of the shells, very open, deep and warm. I've been using the kick drum as it came out of the box. I did not tighten or loosen one lug on it but I am going to take out the pillow and go with a felt strip as suggested by one of the members and see how the sound is.

The way I can describe the rivet cymbal is, if you can listen to a copy of Miles Davis Autumn Leaves", just after the trumpet at the beginning of the song and just about when the sax comes in, listen to the ride and that's the sound of my cymbal.

The Slingerland is a 6.5 x 14 Chrome Over Brass (from around 1975) and it sounds real sweet. I recently bout a vintage 1971 Ludwig supraphonic on eBay and I like it quite a bit as well. Good thing it's only about half as heavy as the Slingerland.

Thanks, again
75Sling