DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Hearing test

If you haven't had your daily share of depression, boy have I got a website for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fuc2HHhnA

Like the thread title says, it's a hearing test. They simply play frequencies, and you figure out your hearing range. So much fun! My hearing craps out at around 9000, with a pretty good reduction at 7000. But not 8000. That sounds loud to me lol. I can sense 9000 but can't hear it. I can't sense 10,000 at all, or anything higher. So I probably have 50% of my hearing, yay!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Hearing test

I got up to 15k. 16k and 17k feel like there might be something there, but I don't know if that is speaker hiss or the freq.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Still hearing up to about 18.7K (tested it in the studio at work), sensing above that. Not too bad. Need to back off the loud music, it was a lot better.

Also bear in mind playback equipment might not be up to playing up to 20K for a lot of people.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've had mine professionally tested. I had a sudden loss due to a medical issue. I can't hear higher frequencies very well at all, and have lost a good deal of hearing in my right ear, period. Sucks for a musician!

My ex wife often thought I was ignoring her, until I recorded her voice and applied an EQ curve to simulate my hearing loss. I actually used the graph the doc gave me. It was enlightening for her, to say the least! And that didn't even take into account the perceived dissonance caused by the difference in hearing between the two ears.

I'm curious to take the online test, Larry. I'll check it out when I'm home tonight.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

If I was married, I would use that excuse all the time!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Dang Larry that is a freaky test. I used headphones to test each ear-my left is worse. I could 1000, 2000, then flat and nothing, then I could feel 5000, hear 6000, then flat and nothing till I around 8000 I could feel it and then I could hear 9000 then flat and couldn't hear squat. My good ear I could hear up to 5000 easily then it went flat at 6k and I couldn't hear 6000, but could barely hear 7000 and hear 8000 then I couldn't hear 9000 or anything above. Weird my "good ear" is as bad as my bad in high ranges, but my bad ear is like bimodal-I wonder how much I feel some of it too. I had it turned up all the way too so it's amazing how select the frequencies are. Fact it was freaking my wife out she was wondering WTH that high frequency sound was hee, hee, hee.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

In my 30's I could hear 13-14K

Now in my 50's I get 9-10K

Not looking forward to my 80's...
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Max-out at 12,000, beyond that I hear nothing. Considering I have been drumming since age 8 and will be 52 this year, I'm content with the results.

Thanks for this, Uncle Larry.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Max-out at 12,000, beyond that I hear nothing. Considering I have been drumming since age 8 and will be 52 this year, I'm content with the results.

Same here -- a couple months shy of 55
Old 01-27-2017, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

I can't hear nothing past 10k. I faintly heard 14k, but more like felt it or sensed it.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

OK, I finally had a chance to try this. Nothing at all above 5 in the right ear, and the drop off was sharp after 2000.I had to turn the sound down a bit for the left ear, as everything was louder than with my right ear. Nothing above 10 in the left. Oddly, 6000 was much louder than 5000 in the left ear.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 AM

Got up to about 11.000. Not to bad considering all those years of metal.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Same here -- a couple months shy of 55
You're doing great. Keep taking care of yourself, SP.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:57 AM

Only had my phone on me so probly not accurate in the slightest. Sound started to go really faint at 13K and I totally lost it a 15. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll have to try it again with better equipment.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhostetler View Post
Only had my phone on me so probly not accurate in the slightest. Sound started to go really faint at 13K and I totally lost it a 15. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll have to try it again with better equipment.
Holy cow, if you can hear 13K on your phone, you are light years better off than me. lol
Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Nothing above 9K with drops at 4K and 8K.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 AM

Got up to 14k. Couldn't hear anything after that. Guess it's not too bad.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

Tried again on the phone speaker. Got 17k and a total drop off at 18k. I need to try this at the clinic through my speakers. Maybe I can get farther if is was the sound of an 8" Saturn tom pitched up?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

14k was my limit.

I always use hearing protection now, but in my younger days...
Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Scary stuff.
It all went quiet at 10,000 but because I was using an iPad in a car (so perhaps not an ideal environment) I lifted the iPad closer to my ear and could hear stuff until it moved from 17,000 to 18,000 at which point silence reigned.
I'm not unhappy with that, plus I've used ear protection since I started playing and even take ACS ER20 ear plugs to gigs so I'm not sure I could have done any more to protect my hearing over the years.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:44 PM

My wife says I need hearing aids....at least that's what her note said....

I was actually surprised it was a good as it was during the test. I have a big hole between 9k-10k, but was then good up through 17k.

My biggest problem is sorting out the sounds I want to hear from background noise. I go crazy in crowded restaurants.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post

Identical results, and I'm also 52 and Canadian. You must be my brutha from anutha mutha. :)

UPDATE: I tried it again with good quality earbuds (is that a cheat? I used real cheapos the first time) and although it got quieter after 12,000, I could hear it right up to 17,000.

So maybe the sound system is responsible for some of the variation in results. Try it again with the best sound system you have.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Sadly I've never worn hearing protection. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning hearing protection till I guess the 90s??? Usually loud noise affects the higher frequencies first-because the hi-freq. hair cells that detect sound are in a position in the inner ear closer to the oval window that your ossicles attach so they get pounded first. The higher frequency hair cells are damaged from the loud noise, and sadly in mammals we don't regenerate as reptiles and birds, leaving us with the loss in that frequency (although there is a drug in clinical trials that may). Your ossicles transmit sound from your eardrum to the oval window and they amplifies the sound significantly too so the sound deficits can be affected by a scarred eardrum, structural changes or damage to ossicles, or loss of inner ear hair cells. That's why odd frequencies come and go. I always have a tube in my bad ear eardrum and that has to have a huge impact one would think. You can bet if their is a drug that can be injected into my cochleas to regenerate my hearing I'll be wearing hearing protection to prevent any damage ever again.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
Identical results, and I'm also 52 and Canadian. You must be my brutha from anutha mutha. :)

UPDATE: I tried it again with good quality earbuds (is that a cheat? I used real cheapos the first time) and although it got quieter after 12,000, I could hear it right up to 17,000.

So maybe the sound system is responsible for some of the variation in results. Try it again with the best sound system you have.
Cheers to you fellow Canuck!

Hearing tests I've had in the past incorporated the use of headphones in a sound room, so my level of recognition was more acute as compared to conducting this test relying on desk-top speakers set relatively low on the volume scale.

I'm curious as to trying again with quality earphones or headphones. I do recall a test I had some two decades ago where the technician claimed my hearing was that of an 18 year olds, which of course boosted my spirits. :)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

I've tried it again in the house using noise cancelling headphones.
Everything up to 12,000 was fine.
13,000 seemed quieter and things got marginally louder up to 15,000.
16,000 and 17,000 were fine.
I'm not sure whether or not I could detect 18,000 or if I was imagining it.
19,000 nothing.
20,000 faintly.

I don't have a clue as to what this all means though
Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 PM

Question. Do you guys think there a difference in actually "hearing" a tone vs "sensing"? And if so where do you draw the line?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Question. Do you guys think there a difference in actually "hearing" a tone vs "sensing"? And if so where do you draw the line?
Sure. In the same way you might sense the vibrations of a train before you can hear it chugging along towards you. Sound is a physical force that can travel through the air, or other materials as vibration and pressure. The line would be "do I hear a distinct tone or do I just feel like there's something?"

Side note: My cat was really not a fan of the highest tones on this test.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if it is just a difference in degree of hearing or not. Could even be a function of your sound source.

In fact, nothing about the test is truly scientific and it tells you nothing about actual decibels of hearing loss compared to a standard. All it does is give a rough idea of which frequencies you hear better than others. That assumes your sound source is producing the signals correctly, and that's a HUGE assumption.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

No it isn't scientific, because it doesn't control for bone conduction, no sound proof room, etc. I've had my hearing test a gizzillion times and the graph they show me of my hearing loss follows a similar patter as I found on this. But I agree I wouldn't freak out from the outcome of this test, but it may help someone notice a hearing problem early to get tested and address it. Females can hear higher frequency sounds than men-as I recollect??- so it would be interesting for some females to take the test and speak up.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'm 56, & decades of loud gigs without protection must have taken their toll. That said, a 2 hour hospital examination of my hearing two years ago placed me in the top 10% of those in the 25 - 30 age group (much to my surprise). On this test, I was definitely hearing clear tones consistently up to & including 14K - hearing? or maybe sensing up to 17K. Above that, all I was hearing was the click at the start of the tone.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Pretty cool! I had definite tone at 15K, 16K started to hum out, and at 17K was a total drop off. I vaguely remember when I went to the audiologist a few years ago for a hearing test and they said my hearing was just fine but I had some loss actually, at the very lower end of the spectrum, somewhere under 1K.

I also used to have tinitus-like symptoms in one ear but that kinda has gone away in recent years.. but no doubt I have some kind of "damage" from years and years of drums and music.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Now I'm convinced my hearing is fine-and many of you are freaking bats hearing ultrasound. Freaking mutants like Xmen or something. Dagnabbit. Turning 62 in April-so just a young buck trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up, just moving into my prime, and trying to take advantage of the placebo effect by convincing myself that by just drinking water I will remain young and turn into a handsome devil. LOL>
Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 PM

My hearing is perfect. But there's a problem with the video, for some reason they started to turn down the volume at 14khz...
Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
My hearing is perfect. But there's a problem with the video, for some reason they started to turn down the volume at 14khz...
Congratulations, this week's winner of the Silver Sealer award :)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
sorry bout your hearing.... :)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 AM

Another almost 55-er here. Got up to about 11k left, 12k right. Funny thing is, listening to everyday sounds (insects, birds, etc outdoors) I'm pretty sure my left ear is much more muted relative the my right ear that the test suggests.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQQ5KbAj9us

This one I did 12,000 and the one Larry posted was just at 10,000. Try an alternate one and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0
Low to high..... 10270 for me
Old 01-28-2017, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQQ5KbAj9us

This one I did 12,000 and the one Larry posted was just at 10,000. Try an alternate one and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0
Low to high..... 10270 for me
Same as Uncle Larry's test, though the 16,000 is questionable. One factor related to both tests, the lower frequencies somewhat impaired my hearing, leaving me with a slight buzzing and ringing after, which may have attributed to my inability to hear any test sounds above 12,000.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

those tests aren't good. one i hear 14k.. another upto 19k just all over the place.. i hear what i hear.. good enough :)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 PM

I defied the instructions and used earphones anyway.
I got to around 17,500hz, but I am 16.