DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Pet Peeves

OK, this is your chance to get it out of your system.
Let me get the ball rolling.

Snare drums and floor toms (including 14") that have less that 8 lugs, (per side on the floor tom).

The omission of internal tone controls. Back in the day, all the top drum makers Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch and Rogers had them. Now, almost no one does. I always add them. What harm can they do?

There are more but I am starting to feel better so I will let it go for now.
Your turn.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pet Peeves

Signature equipment and the lack of 14" depth bass drums. Triggers added in for good measure.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

No musician would buy a musical instrument without first playing that instrument. Except for drummers.

Why can't we have a NAMM type show for consumers where we can try out all currently available drum sets?

Imagine what would happen if I walked into my local Guitar Center and asked to try out every drum set that they had sitting on those shelves up on the walls.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummin' View Post
OK, this is your chance to get it out of your system.
Let me get the ball rolling.

Snare drums and floor toms (including 14") that have less that 8 lugs, (per side on the floor tom).

The omission of internal tone controls. Back in the day, all the top drum makers Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch and Rogers had them. Now, almost no one does. I always add them. What harm can they do?

There are more but I am starting to feel better so I will let it go for now.
Your turn.
With the improvement of drum heads, most of these muffling parts are no longer needed.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM

I respect your opinion and I am sure it is shared by many, if not the majority. There are way to many choices out there.
It's possible to try several different heads and still not find the sound you are looking for. I say stick to the basics, for example Remo Ambassador or Emperor, Evans G1 or G2 and internal tone control. Crank it up or down.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
With the improvement of drum heads, most of these muffling parts are no longer needed.
Drum head advances as well as the availability of dampening products like Moongel.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:42 PM

Here's one: When people make comments such as "need something to wail on", "gotta hit something sometimes eh?" Or any other remark that seems to say drumming is at its deepest and most important purpose when one is hitting things. It's okay from a 10 year olds perspective, but when it's someone I've known personally for years spouting this nonsense, I do find it rather insulting they believe one of the most important things in my life is only good for "releasing stress" via hammering things with sticks.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Anybody that says "It's easy! All you got to do is...."

Applies across all sorts of things, but if I hear it from a guitar or bass player, I want to choke something...
Old 12-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

People saying "This is what you have to do", when you take up an instrument.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Ppl who think they know how to give geographical directions, but are horrible at it.

GOOGLE MAPS etc. has lessened this, but most ppl do not know how to give good directions, and of the most who don't know, most of 'them' believe that they do.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

My pet peeve:

Musicians that dress (and style their hair) like magicians.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Really irrational, but the 6 lugs on my 18" Yamaha bop bass drum bothered me so much
that I drilled it for 8, and eventually sold it, even though it sounded very good.

Irrational Pet Peeve
Old 12-29-2016, 03:10 AM

I'd agree with a lack of 14" deep bass drums.

I'd also add how it peeves me whenever any old guitarist playing barre chords still think they're doing something more clever and musical than all my drumming, even if I was playing swung jazz ride with my right hand, ghost notes with my left, 16th's on the hihat pedal and syncopated funk on the kick! :)

My real peeve is why I didn't first learn open handed hi hat all those years ago so I'm largely stuck with cross handed playing (thankfully I didn't learn traditional left hand though- haha contentious!!).
Old 12-29-2016, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

The guy at Guitar Center that yells at the kids for making noise on (playing) the e-kits along the wall...c'mon man, you have everyone's attention now, just turn it down or put the sticks up behind the counter.

Cymbal touchers...

Unsolicited drum gear movers ("helpers")

People ending sentences or statements in the form of a question...pause..."right?"

Last edited by Thunder 42; 12-29-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Ghostnote

Wow! Politically correct much? You really found my joke THAT offensive that you had to delete it? Wow...
Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 AM

Whenever I hear a recording and when I try to figure out how to match a sound like the recording, it's EQed to the point where I wanna die.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 PM

The jazz drum solo that breaks up the song.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:33 PM

the drumming on David Bowie's earlier stuff sound pretty crappy/sloppy and the drums also sounded crappy. love Bowies tunes, but man them drummers are hard to get past. even on Lou reed's transformer album Bowie produced again crappy/sloppy except for walk on the wild side. is it just me?
Old 12-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

My biggest drumming pet peeve is that with all the innovations in bass drum pedal design and with all the adjustments that can be made to "dial one in" you can't make 80% of the adjustments without taking the pedal off the kick drum and putting it in your lap/on the snare or floor tom. It would be nice to be able to reach down and make the adjustments in the moment.

My biggest everyday life pet peeve is people that drive 55 on the highway where the speed limit is 65+. If you think that driving slow will somehow make you safer you're a dumbass, you're much safer going with the flow of traffic than you are making yourself an obstacle for every other driver on the road.

My 2nd biggest everyday pet peeve is that Pizza Hut won't let you put more than 5 toppings on a pan pizza, now I have to choose between black olives and mushrooms!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

Always band related -

Band members who feel it's more important for them to get up on stage and start setting up than it is for me. I'm the one who takes up most of the space. I'm the one with the most demanding set up. I raise this time and time at rehearsals politely...."guys, this gig with four other bands. We NEED to be organised. Please let me get up on my own for a few minutes to sort myself out then I'll climb down and you can do your bit". They always just crack on and pile in. It's really irritating to be ignored.

Band members who don't understand the principles around fairness. Why should booking gigs and stuff be down to only two members of a band containing four people.

On the fairness front part 2 - A guy I know comes and supports our band. He's a great animator and has recently released a film short which has received a decent level of critical acclaim. He held a launch night on Wednesday for this video. This guy has offered to draw up and film an animated video for one of our songs which is really generous and the band are really excited about it. I felt it would be 'nice' if we ALL turned up to his launch night. All band members agreed a week back but then all three found excuses not to attend. I felt embarrassed and a little bit ashamed. In fact I'm thinking of leaving the band right now and am not in a good place with them at all.

On the fairness front part 3 - We recorded drums professionally a few weeks back for our second album. We had quite a heated debate about the pace of the songs we play. I was really struggling to play them to a click track because the BPM was set unnaturally slow. When it was cranked up to where I felt it should be (ie. akin to the speed we play and rehearse songs live at) I blasted it no problem. They explained that they wanted them slowed down for the album. Me and singer singularly could not understand the reasoning. I suggested we should have been rehearsing them slowed down then and/or I should have been told so that I could practice them slowed down at home. We agreed, after said heated debates, that they sounded perfect as played (FAST - Jesus it's PUNK ROCK). We believe our bass player (who is doing everything outside of recording the drums) has slowed down the drums at home. I and singer are pretty pissed off about this. Again, I'm thinking of walking on the band.

Grrr....sorry to vent on your thread....grrrr
Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
On the fairness front part 3 - We recorded drums professionally a few weeks back for our second album. We had quite a heated debate about the pace of the songs we play. I was really struggling to play them to a click track because the BPM was set unnaturally slow. When it was cranked up to where I felt it should be (ie. akin to the speed we play and rehearse songs live at) I blasted it no problem. They explained that they wanted them slowed down for the album. Me and singer singularly could not understand the reasoning. I suggested we should have been rehearsing them slowed down then and/or I should have been told so that I could practice them slowed down at home. We agreed, after said heated debates, that they sounded perfect as played (FAST - Jesus it's PUNK ROCK). We believe our bass player (who is doing everything outside of recording the drums) has slowed down the drums at home. I and singer are pretty pissed off about this. Again, I'm thinking of walking on the band.
I feel you on that. A previous band I was in recorded one of our livelier numbers in a studio and we all had a debate over the speed of the click track. It was 3 guys against me saying it needed to be slower than we have ever played it before at rehearsals and gigs, despite my insistances that the faster speed was crucial to the song- especially as the end finished in a flourish.

Anyway I relented and we recorded it and a few days later got the mix back. Their first response to listening to it after a few days since finishing at the studio? "This song is way too slow"

I nearly lost it.

The next session a couple months later they recorded an acoustic guitar backing track out of tune and wouldn't listen to me that it was out of tune and it needed another take. Again, we got the mix a few days later and they agreed that it was out of tune and sounded awful, in that case the song was ruined.

If a drummer is pointing out a guitar is out of tune and no one who plays that instrument is listening there's a major problem somewhere. I shortly left the band after that session as in my case it was clear things had broken down between us.

Slightly different circumstances to yours there but I very much feel your pain.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Drummers that don't have a solid, solid groove locked down, and try and put fills and flashy things all over the place.

Too many technicians now a days, not enough musicians.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

White Guys with crap dreadlocks.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 09-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Triple flange hoops. Hate 'em.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Pissing and moaning about the trivial and mundane on drum forums.

Harden up princesses. :-)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrnox View Post
Drummers that don't have a solid, solid groove locked down, and try and put fills and flashy things all over the place.

Too many technicians now a days, not enough musicians.
something like this comes to mind
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Cell phones.........
Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
something like this comes to mind
...And your new name is Meg.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=115208
Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

1) Singers and guitar players offering up unsolicited "advice".
2) Bass players trying to change up the tempo mid-song.
3) Upon finding out I play drums, always tell me "you should hear (insert name here) play, he's REALLY good. And I have no idea who they are referring to.
4) Musicians who refuse to collaborate, experiment, and ones who never understand the value of improvisation.
5) And last but not least, people telling me when they find out I play drums, "oh, I thought you were a real musician", or "you should learn to play another instrument besides just drums."

Forgot to add one: The guitar player and bass player are both mic'd and amped up pretty loud, but they wanted me to play a Cajon someone's wife got at GC for $100. Unmic'd. No amplification. Playing rock. I couldn't even hear myself play. It was so small my rear couldn't fit on the thing. Funny thing was, someone asked me what I thought of the new Cajon, and I was so unimpressed with the quality and sound of the box I said they need to go get their money back. LOL I think the next week they fired me right before a gig we were practicing for and brought in someone new. I think they folded right after that. The duo that band was formed from even broke up after the band did.

Last edited by rogue_drummer; 12-31-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

The next session a couple months later they recorded an acoustic guitar backing track out of tune and wouldn't listen to me that it was out of tune and it needed another take. Again, we got the mix a few days later and they agreed that it was out of tune and sounded awful, in that case the song was ruined.

If a drummer is pointing out a guitar is out of tune and no one who plays that instrument is listening there's a major problem somewhere. I shortly left the band after that session as in my case it was clear things had broken down between us.

Slightly different circumstances to yours there but I very much feel your pain.
I can totally relate to that one. It's as if to say the drummer can't have a say on tuning issues because they're just the drummer and drummers wouldn't know about that sort of thing, they just hit things. They think that a drummer isn't able to tell if someone is out of tune or playing in the wrong key. Once I told a bass player to play a lower note to be in sync with the rest of the band and so he put his finger lower down the fretboard thinking that meant 'lower'. I left that band.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 PM
rogue_drummer
This message has been deleted by rogue_drummer. Reason: need to repost someplace else.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 AM

People who text and drive.

People's growing obsession with the little screen on their phone.

Seriously, you're going to hold that phone up to video the band, so you stand there and watch your screen with the band right in front of you. No one will watch your crappy recording.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
People who text and drive.

People's growing obsession with the little screen on their phone.

Seriously, you're going to hold that phone up to video the band, so you stand there and watch your screen with the band right in front of you. No one will watch your crappy recording.
It's utterly bizarre isn't it? Spend a fortune to go watch a concert and THE most important thing is to vid/photo it so that you can shove it on FB where no-one is remotely interested (else they'd be at the gig) LOL

Texting/Phoning whilst driving. Again, totally 100% agree. People here in the UK are getting killed as a result of idiot, selfish, scumbags. Three points on a licence isn't enough of a deterrent. I could solve this problem within a year with one piece of legislation.....you get caught using your phone, 10 year ban from driving and your car is IMMEDIATELY taken away and destroyed. Don't matter if it's on finance...don't matter if it's your mum's car...don't matter if you need to car for work...or it's a company car...or it's to drive your disabled relation around in...it's G O N E and the problem left is your's to deal with. People would stop using their phones in cars when bad luck stories began to surface and the realisation dawned that your 30k car was going to the scrap yard. No second chances, no warnings.

In fact the above is my more restrained solution. A good friend of mine was almost cut in half crossing the road by a driver who was on a mobile phone. Woman was so distracted she never saw the pelican crossing, never saw the person crossing, and was doing 50 miles per hour (in a 30). Never stood a chance. A bullet to the back of the head for the damage she caused to that guy and his family would be my preference.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

In fact the above is my more restrained solution. A good friend of mine was almost cut in half crossing the road by a driver who was on a mobile phone. Woman was so distracted she never saw the pelican crossing, never saw the person crossing, and was doing 50 miles per hour (in a 30). Never stood a chance. A bullet to the back of the head for the damage she caused to that guy and his family would be my preference.
So sorry to hear this.

As a parent of a 7 and 4 years old kids, the normal fears of letting my older son walk to school is exacerbated by these sociopathic behaviours. The school is litterally 200m from my house, but he has to cross a busy street where speed is limited to 30km/h. The crosswalk is ignored even by parents doing 60-70 while texting after leaving their kids safely to school. Freeeaking idiots.

I think the texting problem could be resolved by implementing a regulation by which manufacturers would be forced to add a feature disabling texting options when the onboard computer takes charge of the phone (for music, hands-free speaking, etc.). People could choose not to link their phone but I figure the inconveniences of not linking the phone would dwarf the benefits.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Agree 100%. All phones take email and text messages. Switch it off when you get in the car and get a f*****g life you morons.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's utterly bizarre isn't it? Spend a fortune to go watch a concert and THE most important thing is to vid/photo it so that you can shove it on FB where no-one is remotely interested (else they'd be at the gig) LOL

Texting/Phoning whilst driving. Again, totally 100% agree. People here in the UK are getting killed as a result of idiot, selfish, scumbags. Three points on a licence isn't enough of a deterrent. I could solve this problem within a year with one piece of legislation.....you get caught using your phone, 10 year ban from driving and your car is IMMEDIATELY taken away and destroyed. Don't matter if it's on finance...don't matter if it's your mum's car...don't matter if you need to car for work...or it's a company car...or it's to drive your disabled relation around in...it's G O N E and the problem left is your's to deal with. People would stop using their phones in cars when bad luck stories began to surface and the realisation dawned that your 30k car was going to the scrap yard. No second chances, no warnings.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I completely agree. I have seen HGV drivers texting on their mobiles, in rush hour, around busy roundabouts near schools. Absolutely unforgivable. The joke is that people with 12 points on their licence can keep it if it would cause them 'hardship'. Well, it might cause hardship but surely that should stop them from bloody well being on their phone in the first place. I hate that driving fines are flat and think they should be proportionally applied as well. A speeding fine at a fixed rate will affect a rich BMW/Mercedes/Audi owner less than somebody that can only afford a Fiesta. Neither should be speeding but it affects the richer owner much less in terms of income. Probably why it seems that the biggest wankers on the road tend to be driving those kinds of cars...

Drink driving? Instant ten year ban. Treat death by dangerous driving as manslaughter. Drugged driving? Instant ten year ban. Speeding? Proportional fines but get rid of awareness courses, apply the fines consistently and don't take into account 'hardship'.

I'm sick to death of having to deal with idiots on the road. I'm not God's gift to driving and I'm not perfect but I do not play with my phone when I'm driving, I don't touch a drop of booze if I'm driving. I take my privilege to drive seriously and now I live in the countryside, I have no choice but to drive!

Onto another rant. Bastards that steal bags from cars. I was down at my folk's place at a beauty spot - Dad's car gets broken into (smashed window) and my partner's bag was stolen. We did everything right and it just turned out that the investigating officer's wife was in the car park when we came back. We went out looking for the dumped bag later on and came across the investigating officer, told us it was a family of professional criminals that have been doing it for years but are good at it.

I won't go into any other details but we worked out from what we were told who they were with a bit of Google-fu. Total low-lives and parasites. Police can't do anything unless they're caught red-handed.

Absolute pain in the arse and ruined our holiday. Partner has no car keys and I've lost my spare. Fortunately otherwise we didn't lose anything of great value...
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Onto another rant. Bastards that steal bags from cars.
Just lovely. Happy New Year, huh? Mrs Smoke won't leave anything in plain sight in a vehicle, and after 36 years together, I've come to agree with her policy. Most everything gets relegated to the trunk/boot or is covered up, small items are stowed under a seat. We've never had anything lifted from a vehicle, so her policy either works or we've been lucky. (knocks wood)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Almost forgot. I don't keep any pet peeves - they're just peeves, so I guess one of my peeves would be people who keep peeves as pets. ;-)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Just lovely. Happy New Year, huh? Mrs Smoke won't leave anything in plain sight in a vehicle, and after 36 years together, I've come to agree with her policy. Most everything gets relegated to the trunk/boot or is covered up, small items are stowed under a seat. We've never had anything lifted from a vehicle, so her policy either works or we've been lucky. (knocks wood)
Absolutely. In this case, it was only just in sight. She kept blaming herself but the people to blame are the *&%^s that took it. We spent two days driving and walking around looking for the bag after that. Once the auto locksmith comes tomorrow, hopefully most of the damage will be undone.

I have an estate car, so I'm particularly vulnerable to this. After it happened I emptied my car of anything in sight and re-jigged the stowage areas so they had more space. Better safe...

36 years is pretty good! It's happened twice that I can remember. Last week and when I was about four from the back of my Mum's Nissan Bluebird...
Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Administrator

I drive with nothing in my car, as my son calls them missiles. If you role your car over, these 4 and pound missiles become more dangerous, at times than the wreck. Everything goes in the trunk or boot.