DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Default Boss demands me to play at company party

Hey folks,

My boss has made an inauguration party for our company next month and has requested myself and our IT guy (him and I play in a cover band together) to play a few songs at our party.

It will be a short set, mostly acoustic, within a small restaurant.

My boss is adamant that I play to show case that one of his engineers has skills other than what we do for work. Whatever.

So, I can either play the house bongos and just tap away while my guy plays acoustic, or I was thinking of bringing just bass, snare, hats, and one crash and playing with rods.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Boss demands me to play at company party

I'd go with the second option (kick, snare, hats, crash/ride) with brushes or rods.

Another choice, if you have one, would be to play a cajon and a splash.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac View Post
I'd go with the second option (kick, snare, hats, crash/ride) with brushes or rods.

Another choice, if you have one, would be to play a cajon and a splash.
Was thinking of getting a cajon but my brother won't let me use his. We are not getting paid so I am not investing into this.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

It's a rare day anyone's boss comes up for air long enough to notice his/her crew members, so to me, this is a big deal. Unless I was asked to sing or do something unethical, I would do my best to ablige. It never hurts to be on the bosses "good" radar. After all, we play drums to move people. Pick up whichever you feel comfortable with and do it.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Administrator - Mayor

of course he will be paying you your normal fare for playing??
Old 12-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Hmmmm....

I love to play...especially live in front of a friendly audience...
I like my job and my co-workers are decent people...
Boss pays for a company party....
Boss says "hey would you guys play a few tunes for us?"...

For me? Easy decision, and I would, and I have invested in gear for non-paying events.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but from your posts It seems that you are not into this (maybe you don't like your job/boss/co-workers?). So why put yourself through the pain and risk conveying a negative attitude?

But...if you play ask the other guy what his preference would be...
Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I suggest you say "Yes, boss."
Old 12-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Choose the gear that helps you and your band mate make the best music.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM

Sorry if my post came off as if I wasn't interested in playing.

I like the idea of playing, I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey. Regardless, we have quite a few songs to choose from and using the bass, snare, hat deal will be best for me and more comfortable.

Money isn't an issue at all, I was just pointing that out, and is why the whole band isn't playing.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

How can he demand this? It certainly can not be seen as a condition of employment to any reasonable labor attorney.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

My Dad bought my brothers and I musical instruments to play at a young age 8,13, and 15. We formed a band and was playing gigs before you know it. He bought us a nice PA system and mikes. My Dad would always "demand" we play for him when ever-where ever and we hated it feeling like monkeys on display. Sadly none of us had the foresight to realize-dang dudes he bought you nice musical instruments and gear, has encouraged you-now obviously proud and wanting to show you off a bit-you should count your blessings and thank him profusely. It's nice your boss notices and I'd jump at the opportunity to oblige. I'd do the gig with a small kit-16 in kick, snare, hi hat, and maybe a tom-use rutes or brushes for quiet stuff, and 7A for a rock-you can still rock out with just guitar and drums. I'd set my mind to make it fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
My Dad bought my brothers and I musical instruments to play at a young age 8,13, and 15. We formed a band and was playing gigs before you know it. He bought us a nice PA system and mikes. My Dad would always "demand" we play for him when ever-where ever and we hated it feeling like monkeys on display. Sadly none of us had the foresight to realize-dang dudes he bought you nice musical instruments and gear, has encouraged you-now obviously proud and wanting to show you off a bit-you should count your blessings and thank him profusely. It's nice your boss notices and I'd jump at the opportunity to oblige. I'd do the gig with a small kit-16 in kick, snare, hi hat, and maybe a tom-use rutes or brushes for quiet stuff, and 7A for a rock-you can still rock out with just guitar and drums. I'd set my mind to make it fun.
That is the plan my good sir. Like I said, I don't mind playing and we have been wanting to do a company thing.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey.
Don't look at it that way. He probably just wants everyone to have a good time. Bosses aren't inherently evil (though some are).

I have a cover band with some workmates (We're all professors in a public university). We started playing just for fun 10 years ago but had to quit when my daughter was born because rehearsals took place at my home (drummer's curse). Two years ago, our boss asked us to play in the inauguration of a new campus and we happily obliged. Since then, we haven't stopped playing.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry if my post came off as if I wasn't interested in playing.

I like the idea of playing, I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey.
The boss wants a favor, it doesn't sound like an unreasonable request, so you do it. It's not the time to play the 'not your little monkey' card. Keep that card deep in the deck.

Bermuda
Old 12-20-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The boss wants a favor, it doesn't sound like an unreasonable request, so you do it. It's not the time to play the 'not your little monkey' card. Keep that card deep in the deck.

Bermuda
You are absolutely correct. Plus, he prefers the term 'dick boy'.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Did he really "Demand" you play, or was that a typo? If anyone demands I do anything my first thought is, f**k off. If someone asks If you would do something, or as a favor, then fine, thats different. If he is telling you to do something just cos he is the boss then I would politely decline, with a smile.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Are you getting paid? If not, then just use whatever is there and do a few songs.

There's no reason to bring gear in to play a few songs for free for an even that doesn't benefit you.

Just keep time on the bongos that are there. Otherwise you're going to be setting stuff up and breaking it down while everyone else is having fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know what your relationship is with your boss, how frank of a conversation you can have with him. Yes, he wants to show off his staff, he also wants free entertainment for his party. I think mainly I'd let him know that playing music is something you also do for money, and that this is not how you normally handle that business, and that preparing a set of music is not some small assignment-- you have to do rehearsals and whatnot. He doesn't have to know if you're just going in and winging it. Let him know what your group normally gets paid for corporate engagements. Maybe he's not going to pay for your time, or "let" you not do it, but he should know that he's asking for, and you're providing, an extraordinary service.

Assuming you wind up doing the thing regardless, I would bring whatever you need to to have fun and to show yourself off to your best advantage. Maybe there's somebody in the house who has been thinking about taking lessons, and you can pick up a student or something...
Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I don't know what your relationship is with your boss, how frank of a conversation you can have with him. Yes, he wants to show off his staff, he also wants free entertainment for his party. I think mainly I'd let him know that playing music is something you also do for money, and that this is not how you normally handle that business, and that preparing a set of music is not some small assignment-- you have to do rehearsals and whatnot. He doesn't have to know if you're just going in and winging it. Let him know what your group normally gets paid for corporate engagements. Maybe he's not going to pay for your time, or "let" you not do it, but he should know that he's asking for, and you're providing, an extraordinary service.

Assuming you wind up doing the thing regardless, I would bring whatever you need to to have fun and to show yourself off to your best advantage. Maybe there's somebody in the house who has been thinking about taking lessons, and you can pick up a student or something...
He initially wanted us to play 4-5 songs, which for a party is kind of weak. At that point its not worth the time and energy. My guitarist has been wanting to play at this particular place for his solo stuff so its more to benefit him, i feel. We have a set list of about 30 songs we can do and it'll be fun. But there is no question about pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Did he really "Demand" you play, or was that a typo? If anyone demands I do anything my first thought is, f**k off. If someone asks If you would do something, or as a favor, then fine, thats different. If he is telling you to do something just cos he is the boss then I would politely decline, with a smile.

He sent me a text after I suggest he buys a cheap cajon and I'll play the party. He resonded with "How about you play the f****** party or you're f****** fired."

He has good intentions but he's one of those types. Not that I would ever be fired, but it's easier to play nice and just do it than to go against it.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Administrator - Mayor

How quick would he be, to let you leave early for a gig that required some travel? I would save or print that message for future use or needs. Playing nice is one thing, but it should go both ways.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Your boss sounds like a real Richard.
I would bring a tambourine and that's it.

And like Gruntersdad said, save that text.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Exactly his term is "dick boy" and there seems like there is no doubt who the "dick" is.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. Plus, he prefers the term 'dick boy'.
Just as long you didn't come up with that...
Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Was thinking of getting a cajon but my brother won't let me use his. We are not getting paid so I am not investing into this.
If you're not getting paid, I'd play the house bongos. :)
Old 12-20-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
He sent me a text after I suggest he buys a cheap cajon and I'll play the party. He resonded with "How about you play the f****** party or you're f****** fired."
Just sayin:

Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.

Offensive conduct may include, but is not limited to, offensive jokes, slurs, epithets or name calling, physical assaults or threats, intimidation, ridicule or mockery, insults or put-downs, offensive objects or pictures, and interference with work performance.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
Just sayin:

Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.

Offensive conduct may include, but is not limited to, offensive jokes, slurs, epithets or name calling, physical assaults or threats, intimidation, ridicule or mockery, insults or put-downs, offensive objects or pictures, and interference with work performance.
/\ This. Not sure if you live in the UK but thats the state of play here. Seems to me he just wants free entertainment and to brag about his workforce. Get another job and report this w****r.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

May I be as bold as to suggest getting another job? Guy sounds like an utter tool. I've worked with a few like that. Seem good on the outside but are actually rotten to the core.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
May I be as bold as to suggest getting another job? Guy sounds like an utter tool. I've worked with a few like that. Seem good on the outside but are actually rotten to the core.
I've been here for two years. I advanced fast within the company and make good money for my age.

I come from a construction type family so I'm used to tough love. A lot of people wouldn't work under him but I don't mind it too much. Plus, I give it back to him from time to time.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Demand back to play the accoustic version of smells like teen spirit..all you need is bass, snare, hats, and one crash...

have fun and merry xmas bro.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I'd do it but make it very clear that I don't work for free. This topic of unpaid gigs has been beaten to death on this forum so I'll only add this:

My mantra on the matter was something I heard my older brother say about working for free: F**K you. Pay me.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Bermuda
I'd play the "I'm not your little monkey" card in a heartbeat if my boss sent a text like that.

I'd still play the bongos...

Edit - maybe your boss isn't crappy at all, I can't really tell. I've had bosses (and been the boss!) that enjoyed obnoxious repartee but were still decent. Anyway, carry on! lol

Last edited by IDDrummer; 12-20-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

My advice, just do the darn gig and get some attaboys.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Insert 'well that escalated quickly' meme thingy here.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
My advice, just do the darn gig and get some attaboys.
Really, I'd be happy to do it with the people at work, not a problem at all.

Boss is happy, colleagues are happy, I'd be happy as I love to play no matter what, everybody's happy !

Let's not overthink this.

Work is fun.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
He initially wanted us to play 4-5 songs, which for a party is kind of weak. At that point its not worth the time and energy. My guitarist has been wanting to play at this particular place for his solo stuff so its more to benefit him, i feel. We have a set list of about 30 songs we can do and it'll be fun. But there is no question about pay.

He has good intentions but he's one of those types. Not that I would ever be fired, but it's easier to play nice and just do it than to go against it.

I think 4-5 songs is reasonable, I certainly wouldn't play any more than that. Just let him know that you're throwing in a couple of songs for free, not playing to entertain the party for the night. Just use the bongos, end on a big number, and go back to the party.

I think suggesting he buys a cajon was a little odd... Why would he have to buy an instrument so you can play a few songs?? Not that his reaction was appropriate either. Just let him know that you are doing the 4-5 songs as a one-time favor. Be cordial and professional.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I've been here for two years. I advanced fast within the company and make good money for my age.

I come from a construction type family so I'm used to tough love. A lot of people wouldn't work under him but I don't mind it too much. Plus, I give it back to him from time to time.
Sounds like you have a good dynamic, and that's important when you work with someone regularly. There are various true sayings that apply: you have to go along to get along, the tail doesn't wag the dog, don't bite the hand..., he who pays the piper..., etc. Typically, the smartest thing is to simply do what you're asked, as long as it's legal, and you don't go out of pocket for someone else.

The only legitimate conflict would be if you had a paying gig scheduled, and were somehow being forced to attend your company's party instead. Barring that scenario, eat their food, drink their drinks, play a few songs, and enjoy the party!

Bermuda
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

lol, this has already gotten weird. What's wrong with a chance to show off that you're a cool drummer to your co-workers? Drag out a two piece kit, some brushes, and be the life of the party. Throw in some tambourines and shakers for the crowd to play with, and your legend will be cemented. The gals will look at you differently at the water cooler so to speak, and that's worth the trip to a place where they give you free food, drink and a chance to play. You've sorta already blown the notion of letting your boss know that no matter what you have his back, but you can get some back if you do a good job without sneering the whole time ha ha.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I think the objection is demanded, not asked politely.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I think the objection is demanded, not asked politely.
Exactly. And the text saying f***ing play or be fired. But it sounds like it may be just bluster and banter.

I STILL say play the bongos. lol
Old 12-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

4 or 5 songs , turn on Pandora