DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default New UK drum show for 2017.

I'm excited to announce the new UK drum show for 2017. I've been a small part of working behind the scenes to make this happen. We're working with the entire team that has made London drum show such a success over the last few years, but now taking it up a level, & locating more centrally in the UK in Manchester.

** Much improved venue with huge main stage theatre featuring international artists.

** Significantly bigger Mike Dolbear suite featuring UK artists.

** A superb exhibition hall with appropriate acoustic treatment.

** Many more interactive facilities including 6 dedicated education / demonstration suites.

Artists are already booking up for this event, & although I can't yet confirm beyond that already announced, there's some surprises in store, plus some surrounding activities that will draw much attention.

I'm proud to be associated with this truly international scale dedicated drumming event, & I hope the drumming community can really come together to support it. There's some great people who've really stepped up to the plate & taken risks with this.

http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk...eptember-2017/

More details as I can release them here.
Attached Images

Last edited by keep it simple; 11-15-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: New UK drum show for 2017.

Andy could you squeeze in a guest....me....to help you...during that time?

September 23-24 right?
Old 11-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

September 23-24 right?
Absolutely Larry! It's in a different location in the UK. There are transatlantic flights from Philadelphia to Manchester, & are actually cheaper than flying into London. I'm in the process of booking my hotel for the event, & it would be great to coordinate that with you. I'm keen to stay at the main event hotel, because that's where it's all happening (evenings, etc). Not the cheapest option, but as it will be my main event of the year, I like to make the most of it.

Equally Larry, if you want to extend your stay, you're super welcome to stay with me at Guru cottage ;)

Update: Just snagged a great offer on the main hotel (via the hotel site, not the usual booking sites http://www.qhotels.co.uk/our-locatio...FdXNGwod958A2w ), so booked it straight away. Of course, there are significantly cheaper nearby hotel options available.

Last edited by keep it simple; 11-15-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Public transport around Manchester is pretty good.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:43 AM

Sounds great! Good excuse for a weekend in Manchester!
Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

It sounds as if it's going to be the most amazing do. I'm sure MADgeFest can work around it ... I'm thinking perhaps May for the Fest, as nobody is going to want to trail up, down or over twice in quick succession; anyway, that's for later. Right now, woo hoo!

Quote:
Depending on how much time you have, Lar - and whether you want to, of course - how about a couple of days at mine, either before or after the show? For example, suppose you flew to Manchester and hooked up with Andy there, and took him up on his offer to go back to Guru Cottage with him for a little while, then I could pick you up from there and you could stay at Stardust Towers and see a bit of North Wales for a few days before flying back from Manchester? The airport is only an hour away from mine.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
It sounds as if it's going to be the most amazing do. I'm sure MADgeFest can work around it ... I'm thinking perhaps May for the Fest, as nobody is going to want to trail up, down or over twice in quick succession; anyway, that's for later. Right now, woo hoo!

Depending on how much time you have, Lar - and whether you want to, of course - how about a couple of days at mine, either before or after the show? For example, suppose you flew to Manchester and hooked up with Andy there, and took him up on his offer to go back to Guru Cottage with him for a little while, then I could pick you up from there and you could stay at Stardust Towers and see a bit of North Wales for a few days before flying back from Manchester? The airport is only an hour away from mine.
Madge, really? I'm honored! OK! Sure! That would be smashing!

I have to make some plans to plan the trip, and I will confer with you once I have the basics settled OK? And thank you so much your your hospitality! Warn Glenn!

Excited!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Madge, really? I'm honored! OK! Sure! That would be smashing!

I have to make some plans to plan the trip, and I will confer with you once I have the basics settled OK? And thank you so much your your hospitality! Warn Glenn!

Excited!
EEEEE!

Yes, of course there'll be things to sort out/co-ordinate. If you're thinking of bringing Mrs Larry (Auntie Larry?) that would be even better!

For the record, it's Glyn not Glenn, but he's been called a lot worse ;)

Old 11-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Update: 2 days after announcement to the trade, the exhibition hall is nearly booked up. Now that's what I call enthusiasm & support!!

Larry, I sent you a PM :)

Last edited by keep it simple; 11-16-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Tempting, very very tempting.

Not set foot in Manchester for a couple years. Even more reason to head north and visit old friends and visit the place next year.

I watch for updates with great interest.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I watch for updates with great interest.
Here you go Jon. Website just went live for the new show. Loads of exhibitors (with more to come), & most of the artists yet to be announced, but Thomas lang, Michael Schack, & Craig Blundell not too shabby as a start. I'm aware of some huge announcements awaiting confirmation in the wings too ;)

http://theukdrumshow.com

Early bird admission tickets & advance mainstage reservations available from today.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Perfect excuse for a return trip across the pond!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Just revving up for loads of main stage artist announcements for 2017, & the first addition this year is an absolute gem :) Back here as soon as it's made official, but Andy's super looking forward to some groove mastery :)

I'm aware of others lining up too (of course, I'm sworn to secrecy), & this show is going to be spectacular!
It's looking very promising indeed and very much looking forward to this.

Any excuse to geek out in Manchester, even if it means a 9 hour train journey (there and back) that day which in this case I'd gladly and happily do.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

This is going to be the highlight of my drumming year - right up there with MADgeFest (if that happens).

Quote:
Any excuse to geek out in Manchester, even if it means a 9 hour train journey (there and back) that day which in this case I'd gladly and happily do.
Pretty sure I can find you a sofa, either here or at a friend's, if you'd like :-)

Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

It's an hour on the train from mine. Probably easier to get to than the vintage drum show in Brum which is on my doorstep.

Thomas Lang is reason enough to go. Plus the cricket season will have just finished and I won't have a wedding to pay for. Could get messy!

Please keep the updates coming on here. My mind is like a sieve so I may forget.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Oh man I'm stoked for this even more than my first trip, which was too short.

Andy you have no idea how excited I am to experience your place with my own face and to actually walk in your shop and demo room.

The only thing that could top that is spending some time with Madge and Glyn, and the horses and castles...and then hopefully going to a jam night in Manchester. Dream come true, it is. I can't believe I'm going again!

Woo Hoo!

My only regret last trip was my own jet lag. I never had that before, and I ended up sleeping clear through to the afternoon the first full day. But I'll know what to expect this time around.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
This is going to be the highlight of my drumming year - right up there with MADgeFest (if that happens).

Pretty sure I can find you a sofa, either here or at a friend's, if you'd like :-)
Thank you Madge. Still weighing up options to stay overnight or come home same day on the Saturday evening but I'll maybe take you up on that closer to the time if that's ok? Very kind of you so it's appreciated in the meantime until I know what I'm doing and if the better half will be coming with me.

Quote:
Oh - it just got better. Not only is there a very significant artist announcement coming in the next few days, I've just been made aware of an even bigger artist announcement coming up next week (already confirmed). All I can say is, snag tickets early, as this show will certainly sell out fast.

I'm really looking forward to the significant upgrade in venue too. Both the international main stage and the UK stage are much larger capacity compared to Olympia, the exhibition hall is a big improvement too in terms of visitor experience, & the massive range of additional interactive activities really make for a feature loaded day.

Oh, & there's a roving Uncle Larry exhibit too ;)
I'll keep refreshing the website/twitter feed until the announcement(s) in that case Andy. Any excuse to spend time back in Manchester but the show looks great so far still months away. Very much looking forward to seeing what it's all about for its first year

Quote:
Oh man I'm stoked for this even more than my first trip, which was too short.

Andy you have no idea how excited I am to experience your place with my own face and to actually walk in your shop and demo room.

The only thing that could top that is spending some time with Madge and Glyn, and the horses and castles...and then hopefully going to a jam night in Manchester. Dream come true, it is. I can't believe I'm going again!

Woo Hoo!

My only regret last trip was my own jet lag. I never had that before, and I ended up sleeping clear through to the afternoon the first full day. But I'll know what to expect this time around.
Very much looking forward to meeting you in person for the second time, Larry. Madge and Glyn's place is lovely as are the horses, you're in for a treat, trust me.

(Madge, Dawn occasionally still talks about your dogs and if we can get some of our own.....)

Roll on The UK Drum Show. It sounds like it's building up very nicely indeed.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you Madge. Still weighing up options to stay overnight or come home same day on the Saturday evening but I'll maybe take you up on that closer to the time if that's ok? Very kind of you so it's appreciated in the meantime until I know what I'm doing and if the better half will be coming with me.
Sure, no problem, the offer is open!

Quote:
(Madge, Dawn occasionally still talks about your dogs and if we can get some of our own.....)
Awww! I was thinking about Kevin just the other day. What's he up to these days?

Quote:
The only thing that could top that is spending some time with Madge and Glyn, and the horses and castles...and then hopefully going to a jam night in Manchester. Dream come true, it is. I can't believe I'm going again.
I fear you will be very disappointed with Stardust Towers, as it's largely a figment of my imagination, and jam night is in a very small former mining village near Wrexham, but whatever the shortcomings, Larry, we are every bit as excited as you are and we'll do our damnedest to give you a great time. Incidentally, while I think on, can you let me know your head measurement (circumference) at some point, so I can make sure we have a riding hat that will fit you. It's considered reckless over here to ride without one, and it's very much frowned upon. I can't promise Watso that you'll ride topless past a castle, either, but hey, you never know!

I'll buy my tickets for the show next week. So exciting!

Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sure, no problem, the offer is open!

Awww! I was thinking about Kevin just the other day. What's he up to these days?
Thanks very much Madge. Will let you know.

He suddenly passed away a few months ago. He's unfortunately no longer with us.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks very much Madge. Will let you know.

He suddenly passed away a few months ago. He's unfortunately no longer with us.
Oh I'm so sorry. RIP Kevin.

I lost Geraldine and Gertrude a while back.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this was important.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thomas Lang performance is a great reason to go. He'll be giving group lessons (all on Ekits) in the interactive centre too (amongst others), but just wait until you see who else is scheduled.

The best way to remember is to buy an advanced ticket. Once the main stage artists are announced, those tickets will sell like mad. Strong Andy hint - plan for both days ;)
Weekend ticket sounds champion, £32 (ish) for the weekend is nothing. If you're announcing Bernard Purdie............but JR, may have to get him to sign my Off The Wall man the drumming on that album is good!

Hopefully I don't get a booking on the Saturday or even worse both days. (Fingers crossed)

Stupid question but does the advance weekend ticket include the main stage. I had a quick look yesterday at the sight but probably missed it. I'll still happily pay the extra if not.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Weekend ticket + Dennis Chambers: done!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Madge you want to know the circumference of my head?

What an odd request. Oh right, you're from the UK, silly me.

Just give me the biggest hat you have :)

Oh sorry...riding helmet :P

I'll have to find a fabric tape measure. I'll get back to you, it's not a measurement I keep right on the top of my head.

Oh wait, yes it is!

And like it or not, I will require you to snap a few hundred pictures of me topless on a horse. Or horseless on a top, whatever.

Did you know that my nipples are like 8" long?

So everybody out of my way!

If we can't do it in front of a castle, I'll photoshop one in!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

I think the horse might be lame that day, Larry. Never mind, eh!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

Saturday + JR + Dennis Chambers + Thomas Lang booked.

£33 for all of the above is a bargain.

Where did Dennis Chambers come from? Any update on Bernard Purdie :)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:18 PM
JohnoWorld

I think that there is far too much good-will on this forum and it's warping my view of the internet :-)

Seriously though this looks great, don't know what the G-Mex is called now though, trams are direct from Victoria and Piccadilly Stations.

Hopefully see some of you there
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Looking forward to meeting you :)

The venue is now called Manchester Central, & yes, public transport links are excellent.

An even bigger bargain if you don't get advance performance tickets & are prepared to queue for the comp tickets. For those acts though, getting the advance tickets @ £5 each is a no brainer. Theatre is absolutely superb BTW :)
Looking forward to it. Did think about queuing but I've been to things like the good food show that does a similar thing and you're waiting for hours to get in and watching as people who have tickets stroll past with a big smug grin on their face.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Need to sort my life out and figure out if I'm available that weekend. Probably got somewhere to stay sorted (my brother lives there, my partner's sister is also in Manchester) it's just whether I can realistically make it up and back down again in the weekend without being insane.

Probably able to make the Saturday. Otherwise I will be dead to the World come Sunday. Stay overnight in Manchester Friday night/Saturday night and travel back Sunday... this also means I can have some conversational lubricant...

I'm only typing this out because otherwise I can't get my head around without saying it out loud...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

If anybody needs an overnight stay, let me know. I may well be able to either provide or cadge a spare room/sofa/floor, although it would be about an hour or so away from the venue.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Well darn, blast and f*ck it I've got a booking in Hereford on the 23rd. Sods law but need the pennies especially if I get a new toy while I'm there.

Oh well I'm going to see Dennis Chambers and Thomas Lang regardless. If anyone wants my JR ticket let me know. Free to a good home.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Well darn, blast and f*ck it I've got a booking in Hereford on the 23rd. Sods law but need the pennies especially if I get a new toy while I'm there.

Oh well I'm going to see Dennis Chambers and Thomas Lang regardless. If anyone wants my JR ticket let me know. Free to a good home.
At least Hereford's a nice city!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

[quote=keep it simple;1487208]Oh - that is annoying.

1/ You're missing a great second day at the show.
2/ I'm missing out on a forum member playing my home town.

What venue are you playing at? What's your band's name?

QUOTE]

It's a function of some kind, probably a wedding. We'll get the venue and details come through from the booking agent along with the contract.

Hereford is a great place to play in the summer, so many cool venues. Hoping it's a big marquee in the middle of a field which are the most enjoyable (weather permitting). But it's the week after the cricket season has finished so it's usually better weather than we had all season.

Band name could be anything really. We're musical whores dependent on where the gig has come from. We go out as Celebration Day (In the vague hope someone wants lots of Zep) but it can be:

*Four on the Floor
*Fireworks
*Hard to Handle
*and my personal favourite Four Play

It's run of the mill, middle of the road wedding band stuff. We all did our degrees foolishly thinking odd time and showmanship was the way forward.......we've sold out hard :)

What's going to be on the Guru stand.......any show specials?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

wish i could make it, but its just too far for me to travel :/ just going to have to hope rhythms london drum show is acceptable this year.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Aaaand that's my ticket for Emmanuelle Caplette booked!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, it just gets even better.

Masterclass suite
Phil Gould
That's all the post should have said ;)

Probably the most underrated drummer we've ever produced. He's got feel to burn!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 PM

George Kollias announced now as well, for any metal types.

Kopites are gobshítes.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, just one more slot left for the Sunday main stage. I wonder who it might be? ;) ;) ;)
You little tease, you!

Old 03-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A note about booking main stage artists: The biggest availability factor is scheduling. If you put together a list of 100 artists you'd like to see play an event, expect about 10 of them to be available on the show dates.
It was the same with MADgeFest and forum members, if you recall!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
ah - you beat me to it! Yes, just one more slot left for the Sunday main stage. I wonder who it might be? ;) ;) ;)
I'll do it, if you're struggling, I'm only down the East Lancs from Manchester.

Kopites are gobshítes.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

"A huge selection of amazing drummers (many still to be announced, but I know some of what's coming - trust me, it's stellar ;), & a jam band filled with some of the best players in the world. "
Best players in world-uhhhh I didn't get my invite. Just sayin'.
Hee,hee,hee April Fools. Yes I'm an April fool-it's my birthday this month too. Gifts expected ;)