DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:05 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Dropping sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
You need to get a grip...
I do need to.

Shit happens.

But not often so...
Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

As a young drummer playing in a pipe and drum band, we were marching in a parade down a street and suddenly- whoosh, my right stick went sailing behind me. I remember the panic that rushed over me. Should I get it, should I leave it.

I contemplated not even fetching my stick that day, but more panic rushed over me, so I turned and made a mad scramble through the band lines, then a beeline for my stick, then another mad scramble to catch back up to the band.

Good times. It builds character. Don't worry about it.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Well OK... I guess I can't blame you. American culture IS so highly influential. But I'm warning you Jules, if I catch you saying you're going to head them off at the pass....well that's where I draw the line. I mean you don't see me going around saying fair dinkum, or barbie, or walkabout, or any of the other Australian cliches. How would you feel if I took something very Australian and tried to pass it off like it was an American thing?
I reckon you would get into a bit of strife mate!
Cheers
Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

I drop at least one stick, often two at gigs. Reasons:

I get so taken away in the moment and with the music that I lose focus and concentration on stick control and make a school boy error

Or

I'm looking at a particularly stunning punk chick and don't watch what I'm doing...end up cracking the underside of a cymbal and ping, off it goes....school boy error.

Or

The sticks have slipped...and slipped....and slipped...I've tried to recover them but cannot and they literally just fall out of my fingers. School boy error.

I have a running battle with sticks sometimes, feeling them slipping through my fingers, trying to shuffle them back into place like shuffling bog roll out of those metal holders you get in the motorway services. It truly IS my life battle is this.

The comical thing is that no matter how hard I try concentrate, even to the extent that I do a small practice pre-gigs on recovering a stick from my bag or holder, I still momentarily panic and freeze at the point of dropping the damn thing. I've been known to frequently bang on the snare with my left hand until I regain my composure and thankfully grasp a spare.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM

I've always played with a pretty light grip. A few months ago, I was playing with some 5As and some Steve Gadd signature sticks. Occasionally, they'd just seem to slip out of my hand. I finally switched over to some very light (maple I think?) 2Bs and the drops reduced dramatically. I'll still drop occasionally when I catch the underside of the hats or the rim of a tom when moving around the kit, but they're not straight out slips.

Usually, it's my right hand stick that'll go. I've gotten pretty good at grabbing another stick from my bag. One afternoon at a jam, I dropped 2 sticks in the same song and nobody else even noticed.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have to thank my teacher Ron Whitney for teaching me a technique that keeps my sticks in my hands. It takes a pretty bad mess up to knock a stick from my hand. I haven't dropped one this year so far.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 AM

i have had some bona-fide whoppers! not many, but when i drop a stick, it's good! during a solo, or maybe it'll fly so far, the audience goes wild because they think i'm hurling sticks at (to) them. fuggedabouddit. i know if i have something just slightly out of adjustment, bad things happen. if we get used to playing a certain configuration, and we play a lot, it's amazing how something just slightly different can cause a stick to take flight, i saw buddy drop a stick. i saw dave weckl drop a stick. dave laughed, rolled his eyes. buddy did not... :)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 AM
Ghostnote

I drop sticks sometimes when my hands get sweaty. I rub the grip area of my sticks with a regular old dollar store candle and the wax provides great grip without making your hands sticky. Try it. It's a very cheap and effective solution.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
I drop sticks sometimes when my hands get sweaty. I rub the grip area of my sticks with a regular old dollar store candle and the wax provides great grip without making your hands sticky. Try it. It's a very cheap and effective solution.
Top shelf tip! Thanks, GN!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Well OK... I guess I can't blame you. American culture IS so highly influential. But I'm warning you Jules, if I catch you saying you're going to head them off at the pass....well that's where I draw the line. I mean you don't see me going around saying fair dinkum, or barbie, or walkabout, or any of the other Australian cliches. How would you feel if I took something very Australian and tried to pass it off like it was an American thing?
"Do Ya Reckon" is as Aussie as Flat out as a Lizard drink'n.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Thank you. I intend to try this.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

I had a recent stick drop.

At about 1:50, which is part way through my Big Moment in this particular song.

Very pleased with myself for keeping things going and doing a recover that my bandies failed to notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF4GS_dGFl0&authuser=0
Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Perhaps hold and grip your sticks backwards and hit like this guy. ��

Old 04-26-2017, 08:23 PM

Saw The Rolling Stones at the beginning of their ZIP Code tour in 2015. They always have those GIANT screens behind them.

And then I saw it: Charlie Watts on the biggest screen possible, and he dropped a stick.

He gave it little thought and carried on.