DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Why drums?

I find it interesting how drawn to drums I am versus other instruments. My first instrument was guitar and then along the way I decided to learn drums. Since then I've added bass and piano to my quiver. I'm not great at any of them, but I'm definitely competent on all four with drums and guitar being my best.

Drums have quickly become one of my favorite instruments to play, something about them just draws me in. I don't really get bored of practicing them, unlike my other instruments. It's interesting because if you think about it drums are pretty limited musically. They can only really play 1/3 of the components of music. You can't really play melody or harmony on a drum set. Not like a guitar or piano can. You can only play rhythm, which is the most important component, but still. They are a bit limited, but yet I'm very drawn to them.

So why do you guys play drums vs. another instrument?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Why drums?

Could it be that drums are just more fun than any other instrument?

Guitar and piano are fun in their own way, but can't really compare to the sonic power and the whole-body physical experience of drums. You can have a lot of fun with a drum kit before you've even learned to do anything useful on it. Unlike violin or saxophone it's instant gratification, sit a child behind your drums and watch that little face light up.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Administrator - Mayor

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ght=play+drums

Or maybe one of these reasons !!!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM
savage8190

That's easy for me...I started on guitar for years and I would classify myself as "talentless hack". Drums are coming much more naturally to me and it's fun!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM

Maybe creatures are just wired a certain way - some preferring melody and others preferring rhythm.

I have two dogs. One runs and hides when I start playing, the other lays down in front of my bass drum.

I know I would rather watch a street drummer banging away on plastic pails than watch a concert pianist expertly play Mozart.

Let me explain this once more..
Snares are like handbags,
Cymbals are like shoes!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

I actually played piano before drums. I always loved music, even before I can remember, there are stories about me as a baby sitting down in my grandfather's apartment and listening in silence to his big band records, or listening to classical music with my father.

For as long as I could remember, I always picked up on rhythms, and loved tapping on things. It used to annoy my mother to no end. They thought I was nervous, or had too much energy.

By the time I was in Middle School, I was going to join band, and they had us pick instruments. Instinctively, I went with snare drum, and xylophone. My reading skills were really good at that time, and xylophone was really easy to pick up (wish I kept up that skill!!), and I was a quick student on the snare. Shortly after taking up the snare, I found myself happier, having to tap on things less. Even my grades went up in school. Tapping out rhythms is how I think, and once I found out how to channel that energy, my life improved vastly.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

I was okay at guitaring. Better at bassing, and bestest at drumming. All there is to it really, drums make my mind work harder than melodic stuff, I assume the coordination and distinctness of the notes appeals to me somehow.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstoplt021 View Post
So why do you guys play drums vs. another instrument?
I'm a guitarist that started playing drums for two reasons.

1: I was tired of having to find real drummers whenever I needed a simple part laid down on a project. There were parts that I was close enough to being able to play using only intuition that I figured a two-three year investment in drum lessons would get me to where I needed to be.

2: I needed to be able to sympathize with and communicate with actual drummers more effectively. When I'm in producer mode, I need to be able to accurately convey ideas to musicians (for example, "just play 4's"). I always had trouble expressing complex parts to drummers, even when I could write the notation. Now I'm able to play a facsimile of a complicated part, which helps in communication and has polished my transcription skills a bit.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM

Because drums.

But seriously...I was a hyper-active kid, and I was drawn to the kinetic nature of drumming. I tried guitar and bass, but the physicality wasn't there.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:02 PM

Because I wanted to carry the most gear, and the get paid the least. :)

I love the other instruments- but drums gets into my soul. That is how I can describe it. I just love the sound, the physicality and everything about them.

Drumming is just organized OCD impulses!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:11 PM

I have a pic of me beating some pots with wooden spoons at around 2 years old. The "feeling" has been with me since birth apparently, but I have no idea why.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Tried to play six string when I was a teen but my fingers didn't want to cooperate.

If I would have given it some thought, I probably could have played bass guitar with fewer and fatter strings.

I had the same finger function issue with keys.

For me, the drums were just easy. Then I tried to actually learn them, they became more difficult :)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I had no choice in the matter.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

I've been thinking of taking up drums and drumming. "Rippin' and Grippin'.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Drums are in my heart & in my soul.
They give meaning to my life.
They're the inspiration.
I wanna have them near me.

(And yes, I did steal these words from a Chicago song.)
Old 07-26-2016, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

You had to have at least 2 years of piano lessons to be a percussionist in 6th grade band. I had 4 years, as did one of my best friends, so we ended up being the only 2 drummers in our band class.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I had no choice in the matter.
There is a story here that should be told.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Uncle Larry's been juked by 480 V, three-phase so many times he can do a press roll on a pillow without moving his hands/fingers.

Clearly, he had no choice. ;-)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:58 PM
Jazz Man

When I SAW my Uncle playing Jazz on his four piece kit IN PERSON in 1964 for the first time.........something clicked BIG TIME inside me.

Ever since then, I have been drawn to the instrument, and can't deny my desire to play them.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Not a very good one :) It's just that nothing else grabbed me like the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Uncle Larry's been juked by 480 V, three-phase so many times he can do a press roll on a pillow without moving his hands/fingers.

Clearly, he had no choice. ;-)
Yea, all 3 phases at once. One in each hand and the other in my mouth. Most people would blow up. Not me. I think it feels cool. There's no high quite like the feeling of being toasted from the inside out :) When my blood is boiling, it feels so cool on the insides of my veins.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why drums?
Why not?

Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 PM

In all honesty, the reason I chose drums is because I absolutely sucked at playing guitar. I also lacked the patience to properly commit to learning the guitar. I was in the sixth grade when I tried, and failed, to pick up the guitar. It wasn't until the following year that I would realize that I wanted to give the drums a shot.

I remember one summer day riding in the car with my dad. He had just gotten an awesome sound system installed in his car. To show it off to me he put in this weird looking album that had a foggy looking red star on it.

Man, I tell you. I was completely blown away by Neil Peart's playing in the Overture and Temples of Syrinx parts of 2112. At that moment I knew that I wanted to play the drums.

I never asked for a drum set though. I figured they were way too expensive, and too loud. My parents would never agree to getting me a drum set I thought. I just told my dad how awesome it would be to learn how to play. Well, for my next birthday my dad actually surprised me with a red Ludwig kit! I was beyond excited! Drums were just so much easier for me to pick up. I was able to do some simple beats right off the bat. Unlike with the guitar where I struggled with even the simplest fundamentals. Even when I started trying more difficult stuff on the drums, I never became discouraged. It just made me want to practice more.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

"It's on my bucket list". OR. "Because it's there" is another good one. I think early pre-modern humans used tools but no musical instruments before 40-50k years ago with modern humans-though they think may have verbally been musical is my understanding as early as 500k which would be early prehuman ancestors. I question whether a primitive drum would be recognized or last for anyone to find-what was the first instrument??? It's a flute-I just looked it up. Bull crap I bet a drum beat a flute as the first instrument just seems so simple you can beat on anything and sooner or later you'd find something acoustically pleasing. Now blowing air through a hollow stem seems a horse of another color, hmmmm maybe so in inventing blow darts or something. How old is the blowdart?Hmmm stone age so Neanderthals and Homo erectus and maybe they had flutes too-just none found. Interesting if drums were last or something-just the opposite of what I'd think. I reckon says Art.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:11 PM

I didn't choose the drums.
The drums chose me!
I was called.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I watched too much of this when I was... 6 or so: https://youtu.be/PRT1WejkViY

Then came Jeff Porcaro, Ian Paice, Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart and Chad Smith. Then I waited another useless 20 years and there you go.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

I can't really remember thinking about it, it just happened. My Uncle was a drummer though he lived out of town so not sure he ever influenced me. My kindergarten teacher told my mother I have great rhythm. Then I saw Buddy on TV. So at 5 years old I started drum lessons. I don't recall if I asked to take them or I was just signed up. So I guess drums chose me.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 PM

I just love them. I can't explain why. :-) It must be the rhythm. I also do karate and I love the rhythmic movements. I also play piano and guitar, but drums are kinda like a separate love affair. :-) I even joined drummerworld just to hang out with other drummers and feel I'm like one of them .:-)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Drums were my calling. I was born with it in me.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 PM

I started on piano as a kid, and took lessons for 5 years, but never really was into it. I would practice, but it never really grabbed me. Then I saw the junior high jazz band perform in the gym in grade six, and saw the drummer do Wipeout, and got into Nirvana like most of the other kids in school. Between that performance of Wipeout, and seeing and hearing Dave Grohl beat the crap out of the drums, that planted a seed in my head.

I played percussion, mostly snare drum in grade 7, and now have played drum set for the past 20 years. I think the physicality and excitement really took me in.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

**THIS IS AN OLD THREAD**
------------------------------------

Why drums? Drums are deceptively simple and endlessly complicated.
Like golf.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Because it's better to be this guy

Than this guy
Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post

Like golf.

Lol Paul, good one. You're a quick study.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Lol Paul, good one. You're a quick study.
Hey, you know? I do what I can. Don't want to ruffle any feathers.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

You mean there are other instruments?!?

Drums, drums, drums, drums

Drums, drums, drums, drums

Drumti-drums, drum drumiti-drums

Drumti-drums, drum drumti-drums

Old 08-04-2017, 02:31 AM
Gold Member

I was a bass player, but it was way more fun to go out to the park and play djembe. So I eventually traded for a drumset.

In terms of aesthetics I feel that percussive sounds and indefinite pitched more appealing and that effects such as zen bells, cuica, animal sounds and death whistles are much more emotional than even the human voice, the former also being nicer on the ears than the human voice which tends to produce utilitarian sounds.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Because when we decided to start a band two of my mates already owned electric guitars, the one who all the girls fancied volunteered to take a punt at singing, and the youth club we went to had a drum kit hidden in a cupboard. If they'd had a bass guitar as well I would have probably still ended up on the drums because in the short term a nascent band still sounds like a band without a bass player but doesn't without drums.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post

Like golf.
That's a really good analogy, thanks for that.

Dutch
Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 AM

At first, the sound, the look. And, of course, when you were 16 or 17 and playing in front of the school - especially the girls you liked - it was the greatest feeling!

And today: The infinite possibilities. And a lifetime's challenge and obsession, knowing no matter how good you get, you will never, ever truly 'master' them.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:17 AM

Mitch Mitchell, Neil Peart, Lars Ulrich, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, Alex Van Halen, Roger Taylor, Ringo Starr, Nick Menza, Dave Lombardo, Ginger Baker, Vinny Appice, Eric Carr, and John Bonham. That is all I have to say on why I picked up the drums and these are in no specific order.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM

I tried learning piano and guitar when I was younger, and couldn't really get into either of them. I always really wanted to play drums but didn't have the money/space/supportive parents needed to have access to that opportunity so I chose those other instruments out of convenience but just didn't have whatever it takes to make a person able to learn guitar or piano. Finally as an adult I was able to get drums and learn to play them. I think I always was meant to be a drummer. My friend is a guitarist and we were actually talking last night about how drums seem really hard to him, but he picked up guitar easily, but for me it's the exact opposite.