Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Default Used hybrid Roland setup for beginner

I'm a beginner drummer looking forward to get my first e-drum. As I live in the ground floor of a shared house, mesh heads are a must have.
As with many drummers around here, my budget is not very helpful. I'm aiming to spend < 1k for a used setup, including double bass pedals.

I was torn between Alesis and Roland but, after extensive research, including other threads in the forum, I discarded Alesis models due to their bad reputation in the past.
That said, I imagine I can get, at best, a used TD-9 model, but suggestions are very welcome :)

I have the opportunity to get the following hybrid setup for 750 and wanted to know if it is worth it:
  • 1x MDS-9 Rack
  • 1x PD-105BK Mesh Pad
  • 3x PD-85BK Mesh Pads
  • 1x KD-9 Kick Pad
  • 1x FD-8 Hi-Hat Control Pedal
  • 2x CY-8 Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad
  • 1x CY-5 Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad

The seller claims the mesh pads are brand new. The drum kit looks in very good condition, though I believe the cymbals are the cheapest Roland model.
Then I would look for a used double pedal, perhaps a Pear Eliminator or an Iron Cobra.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Default Re: Used hybrid Roland setup for beginner

I'd go to a music store and try a set before buying them.

First they don't feel the same as real drums. If you get really good on E drums it doesn't translate 100%. It is good for learning and practice but make sure you play real drums as well.

Second.. Even with the mesh heads it isn't silent. My girlfriend used to hear me playing my TD20 downstairs... It isn't as loud as acoustic drums, but it is not silent.

Go with some cheap used double pedals and your budget is fine... I think Roland is way better than Alesis.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Default Re: Used hybrid Roland setup for beginner

beyondbetrayal, thanks for the reply.

Indeed, they do not feel the same as acoustic drums. But as you said, they are good for practice, and that's what I'll be doing :-)

So, this what happened:
I bought the kit, mentioned in my first post, on Monday night. On the morning after, I got an email from the company,
apologising for that they have "sold the drum kit in store by Monday afternoon, shortly before the store closed".

That's such a coincidence to me, so I can't help but think they might have sold it days before but forgot to remove it from their online catalogue.

Anyway, as I have already "bought" the same product, they offered me a new TD11KV for 900 (the usual price is ~ 1.1k).
That would be 150 more than I paid for the _already sold_ used kit.

I wasn't expecting to spend that much money, but I thought it would be a good deal. The warranty, better cymbals, etc. So I accepted it.

Gotta start to practice now, hoping my room neighbours will not try to kill me :-)
I expect to be moving in the next couple of month, so I'll look for my own flat.