DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Drummer / Musician Blogs

Hi everyone,

I went to a really inspiring event last week at the Musicians' Union headquarters in London, and one thing they really encouraged us to do was to work on having a good online presence. I've taken that on board and have started writing a blog - it's hopefully nothing too pretentious, I'm so far just saying what I've been getting up to musically each day. I'm not exactly sure what the aim is or what good can come out of it - perhaps it should be reserved more for people who play in famous bands than your average drummer that does little gigs.. So I wondered, who else out here has got blogs, and are there any that you particularly enjoy reading? What do you find good or bad?

Here's mines so far - http://carolinescot8.wix.com/carolin...#!blog-1/t1axk

And here are two I've read before that I really like:
Todd Bishop's Cruise Ship Drummer - http://www.cruiseshipdrummer.com
Sam Nadel - http://samnadel.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers
Caroline
Old 07-03-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Drummer / Musician Blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hi everyone,

I went to a really inspiring event last week at the Musicians' Union headquarters in London, and one thing they really encouraged us to do was to work on having a good online presence. I've taken that on board and have started writing a blog - it's hopefully nothing too pretentious, I'm so far just saying what I've been getting up to musically each day. I'm not exactly sure what the aim is or what good can come out of it - perhaps it should be reserved more for people who play in famous bands than your average drummer that does little gigs.. So I wondered, who else out here has got blogs, and are there any that you particularly enjoy reading? What do you find good or bad?

Here's mines so far - http://carolinescot8.wix.com/carolin...#!blog-1/t1axk

And here are two I've read before that I really like:
Todd Bishop's Cruise Ship Drummer - http://www.cruiseshipdrummer.com
Sam Nadel - http://samnadel.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers
Caroline
Thank you for this, Caroline! I'm interested in your thoughts and experiences, even though you're obviously far beyond me in skills and experience.

Thanks for sharing your blog … I'm reading it now. :-)

P.S. I've checked out Todd Bishop's blog in the past … interesting stuff. I know another musician (not a drummer) who performs on a cruise ship. That's a singular experience!

Edited to add: I've read a few entries of your blog, as well as the "about me" part, and now I'm feeling quite intimidated! But I appreciate your disarmingly easygoing manner and friendly approach to your blog.

Last edited by Nancy_C; 07-03-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:58 AM

First off, I've always enjoyed the videos you've shared of your drumming so am delighted to see you starting a blog! You mention being a little caught short for time in one of the posts - I think you may be putting undue pressure on yourself to come up with content for your blog on a nearly daily basis and I personally don't feel like posting that frequently is in your best interests - I wouldn't treat the blog as a diary per se. With any of the blogs I've written I generally aim for 1-2 posts a week. If you mix in photos and video (either of yourself/your bands or clips of other musicians you admire) then you won't have to come up with written content all the time.

When I'm not drumming I play a fair amount of irish traditional music on the mandolin and tenor banjo. I used to blog quite regularly about it and one of the things that I found helpful was to jot down ideas for future blog topics in a notebook, so that way I never felt like I was struggling for a topic to cover. I would also do reviews of any gear I'd just gotten etc. It's kinda cool to scroll back over old blog entries to see what I was up to, not to mention getting "seller's remorse" from seeing long gone gear I used to own!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what the aim is or what good can come out of it - perhaps it should be reserved more for people who play in famous bands than your average drummer that does little gigs.
Why so Caz? I think a blog can be useful for anybody, and it can help raise you from an average drummer to someone who gets noticed.

I'd recommend - like geezer did - that you don't stress yourself out to post every single day. Better do some keyword research (if you don't know much about this, I can provide you with good starting points) and put in the time to write posts that are helpful to potential readers (what did you learn at your last gig that might be relevant to other drummers etc.). Google won't care whether you post 7 or 2 times a week as long as you're adding posts on a regular basis.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Nowadays, when everything is getting online... so why not musicians try to get some attention from it , In my opinion every drummer should have his own blog. They can really help us increase our online presence.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

All very enjoyable Caz, & informative too. It's an absolute joy to see your hard work flourish into an increasingly eclectic & rewarding journey. I love your playing, & I love your attitude, so this blog is no different. Onwards & upwards!!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Hey, glad to hear a few people out there have managed to check it out. There's little up there that's probably that useful, although I'm finding it enjoyable to share these little gigs and experiences. It has hit the two weeks mark now and is starting to take a bit of shape. I agree with advice here that every day is not going to be manageable for very long. The upsides are I enjoy the variety of things that are going on each day just now. If things went either way - if I ended up getting a 'bigger gig' like a theatre show or tour or some pop band, or the other way in that there was less work, then I'd look back very fondly at this period when each day brings a little bit of adventure and something new, so I'm finding it's a nice way to take time to reflect instead of tanking through each day.

Thank you Nancy_C, geezer and Andy for your kind words and for having a read. drumandpace that sounds useful about keyword research, please do let me know some starting points if you get time. Still very keen to check out some other blogs that are out there so if anyone has any favourites please do share them up here.

Cheers,
Caroline
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
drumandpace that sounds useful about keyword research, please do let me know some starting points if you get time.
I'd say this is a thorough place to start. Don't look at each and every method because this easily leads into analysis paralysis. For you, if I understand correctly, it's basically about putting your journey out there. So, take one method or two that make sense to you, implement them, and by and by more people should find your site.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update that over 1 year on, this blog is still up and running. The format has been evolving and it has basically become a kind of diary of what I've been up to musically. I'm still on the lookout for some other new blogs to check out so if you are a fellow drum blogger please feel free to post your links up here!

Here's my latest entry should anyone out there be interested:

http://carolinescot8.wixsite.com/carolinescott/blog-1

Best,
Caroline
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reference to my site-- I was posting about once or twice a week in the summer, but lately I'm picking up the pace again. This week I've put up a couple of Stick Control drumset exercises, some Billy Higgins comping, a page of Latin coordination in 3/4, a rant about playalong tracks, a 32nd note Chaffee linear lick... a whole bunch of stuff.

Scott Fish's site is great, as is Ted Warren's Trap'd, and Jon MsCaslin's Four On The Floor.