DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:35 AM

Default Phone Apps

What phone apps do you find useful as a drummer? What phone apps do you wish someone would make?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:09 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Phone Apps

I use one of the free metronome apps. Love it. I wish there was one that started a click track for you, then faded out while you played, and then recorded that, and then played the click track the entire time when you listened to the recording. That way you could find out where you were rushing and dragging.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:12 AM
Silver Member

I use the Pro Metronome App on occasion and I like it. It has Tap Tempo which my Seiko digital metronome doesn't have so it comes in handy, I got the Pro Version for $3 so I could do 8th note, 16th note, etc subdivisions.

I just got the Drumtune Pro App and I've only used it a few times but once I figure it out I'll definitely use it regularly, I've got a friend in a touring band that uses it every night to tune up his kit before a gig.

I'd like to see an EASY drum tuning App. The ones I've seen and tried out all seem complicated to figure out having something that could make tuning drums easy would be awesome, I can tune my drums on my own but I'd like to be able to EASILY tune them to the same pitch EVERY time.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

I use four apps:

Frozen Ape Tempo I use it for a metronome, for a click and to figure out the tempo of songs I need to learn.

Ten Key Click Sometimes I use it in live gig situations. I can quickly punch in the tempo for the next song.
I watch the lights flashing and then I know how to count off the song. Bermuda turned me on to this app.

Live BPM Sometimes I use this app while I'm playing live. If I'm playing a gig where I need to keep the band exactly on tempo, it tells me if I have to push the band a little or slow them down a little. It's tricky because you have to let the band move around the tempo a little and not try to keep them exactly on the beats per minute. But this is a great app to use while your playing a gig. It tells you how far away you are from the starting tempo. You can also use it when you listen to other bands and recorded music. You can instantly tell when a song has been recorded to a click or recorded with electronic drums.

IDrumTune I like this app but I find that it is not necessary. Tuning the drums to such an exact pitch is too time consuming.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:37 AM

I use the metronome app by frozen ape. If I could add features, I would like to be able to produce polyrthyms, and input my own sounds by note value/emphasis.

I also like liveBPM. I run that on a tablet placed at the front of the rehearsal room so everyone can see it. That can be a sobering experience.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:30 AM

I always use Live BPM both in rehearsal and gigs these days, a combination of referring to it and playing a different style of music (more disciplined) has improved my time keeping skills considerably while also highlighting where I can still improve.
It's also given me a greater understanding of what tempo "does" to a song. Last night we were trying a song out for the first time. One of the run throughs was noticeably faster and we all realised we'd been racing through it. On looking at the figures we'd moved from 102 BPM in previous attempts to 105 BPM! We were all amazed at the difference caused by an increase of less than 3%
Old 06-16-2016, 12:47 PM

I also use the Pro Metronome and must say it's very good. You can set it to increase tempo by x every x bar, useful when working on singles and doubles etc. You can also have it silenced for x bars if you work on keeping tempo.
Live BPM is another app I use to get the tempos for songs we play. It works!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:22 PM

Peavey Ampkit (Guitar modelling amp app)

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1346/118572

Very useful to have if the Guitarist's amp breaks down mid-gig.
You can run a line out to the PA from your Phone / Tablet

Cheers
Mick
Old 06-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Ten Key Click and Live BPM. I have various other apps but I don't use them.

Bermuda
Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM

I like Tempo for my standard metronome, I wish Tempo Advance was available for Android since it seems it has some cool additions.

I use Time Guru specifically for practicing keeping time. It has some pretty cool features, like the ability to silence a set amounts of beats or bars, and also a "Random Mute" feature which will drop the click out at random times, based on a percentage level you set. I find that feature pretty useful once you start setting the percentage at higher levels.

Also, Live BPM like a lot of others have mentioned already.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:02 AM

Hey,

I came across this thread after making a video about some recommended practice apps. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY3CEAvg27U&t=14s

Hope it helps

Tommy
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Pro Metronome
Live BPM
DrumJam
Amazing Slowdowner
Erskine play-a-longs
EZ mp3 player
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

Pro metronome and just tried the iDrumTune with my new Pearl Decades and tuning to pitch. I like both so far.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 AM

Here's one. the Clave. I use the Son and Rumba claves on it. I'm not really sure what the Afro and Bossa are supposed to be about.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 PM

Can't find any access to '10 key click app. Help please.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Polynome

https://polynome.net
Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 AM

Shameless self-promotion here, but I actually find my Rude Practice Pad app quite useful (the rudiments of course, but especially for the "lifetime" exercises). On Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icepad.android

And, of course, the sheet music reader Fakebook Pro:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kebook.android
Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

InsTuner:
Has a spectrogram and plays notes with your choice of pitch pipe waveform.
It also works as a tuner in any calibration you want.

Tone Generator:
Similar to the above but stripped down to only playing a frequency you dial in.

LiveBPM:
As others have described, it comes in very handy.

Viziklik:
This is a simple metronome that plays a large graphic you can watch on screen. You can set it for any time signature and it counts you measures with giant numbers. Has night mode and allows you to visually follow.
If this had programmable sections and savable songs it would be the perfect metronome because you could watch the measure count and know exactly when the changes were coming up on your chart (if you are using a chart).

Rudidrum:
A simple drum rudiment app that lets you call up different rudiments and it visually plays them at whatever tempo you choose.