DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 PM

Default Some general questions about electronic drums

Hello guys
I 've been playing the drums for some time now but I have always been playing on an acoustic set. Never even tried an electronic set.
It's been some time since I started experimenting with new sounds and styles so I thought that an electronic set would allow me to go further and play more stuff.
So my question is a bit dumb but, what makes the difference between a 200$ set and a 2000$ set? I mean, sure, the fabrication quality and all will be different but why buy a more expensive one? In the end, I can load sounds and vst's, right? I mean, from what i know and please correct me if I'm wrong, I can load whatever sound I want and even play the piano on it. So what will be the difference between a cheap set and an expensive one?
Thank you very much in advance

btw I'm thinking about buying something like this http://www.thomann.de/fr/millenium_m..._edrum_set.htm since my budget is a bit limited.
So another question, if I want, can I later add more pads on it?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Some general questions about electronic drums

How is getting a cheap electronic drum kit going to help you experiment with new sounds and styles?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerpizza View Post
How is getting a cheap electronic drum kit going to help you experiment with new sounds and styles?
it will allow me to change the sound the drums make and even record and make loops, just as i could do with some sampling pads. So that's my question. Will I be able to o that? and why buy an expensive one and not a cheaper one?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

The cost is mostly in the module, then in the over priced pads.

The pad is a simple, dense foam cone that transfers the vibration to a $3 piezo underneath which sends a signal to the module.

Buy an off brand kit for under $100 or convert your existing A kit for about $40 per drum for mesh heads and triggers.

Remove the triggers and go back to acoustic in a matter of minutes.

Also, you can't load sounds on Edrum modules like you can on samplers.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Also, you can't load sounds on Edrum modules like you can on samplers.
then how did this guy do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpFDxAyWuPE ?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayas View Post
The e-drum is a MIDI instrument, like a MIDI keyboard. He really doesn't even need more than a single drum to make that happen.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

If you are ONLY going to use the VST then I would suggest getting a used $200 kit.

The main difference in price is the module which you will basicly only be using for the midi settings anyways. the higher end modules have better samples and more features.

The other thing you pay for is the pads... rubber pads feel like crap and have too much rebound. Mesh or the Yamaha silicon pads are the best.. but you pay for those kits..

the kick drum makes a huge difference too.. a plastic brick or a mesh head really make all the difference in feel.

you should go to a store and try out a few to decide what you want
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
The e-drum is a MIDI instrument, like a MIDI keyboard. He really doesn't even need more than a single drum to make that happen.
i'm sorry but i'm not really familiar with electronic music.
If I get myself a 200$ e-drum set, will I be able to do such things, change the drum sound to piano sound or trumpet or whatever I want?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
If you are ONLY going to use the VST then I would suggest getting a used $200 kit.

The main difference in price is the module which you will basicly only be using for the midi settings anyways. the higher end modules have better samples and more features.

The other thing you pay for is the pads... rubber pads feel like crap and have too much rebound. Mesh or the Yamaha silicon pads are the best.. but you pay for those kits..

the kick drum makes a huge difference too.. a plastic brick or a mesh head really make all the difference in feel.

you should go to a store and try out a few to decide what you want
yes i shall go check some at a store when i can
But buying a cheap one, like 200$, will I be able to do like Jared Dines in the like I posted above? I mean, will i be able to play the drums but change the sound and make it sound like piano, a trumpet, a flute etc?
Or will the price limit the sounds I can use on it?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Honestly it sounds like you may need to entertain the idea of keyboards vs. percussion or soundpad. If you noticed the 'piano' drum kit was very limited in it's range and possibilities. And $200 is not going to provide much, if anything, with drum pads.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Honestly it sounds like you may need to entertain the idea of keyboards vs. percussion or soundpad. If you noticed the 'piano' drum kit was very limited in it's range and possibilities. And $200 is not going to provide much, if anything, with drum pads.
my only problem is that i don't know how to play the keyboards or the piano. I'd love to although, but I thought about getting an e-drum set since I'm a drummer.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 AM

A useful add-on for your acoustic kit would be a multipad like the DTX Multi-12, plus it can be expanded with pedals and mesh snare pad to make a compact stand-alone practice setup. The pics show how easily the M-12 could fit into your A-kit setup and it allows a 'New Tricks' type conversion for 5 extra input triggers.

The preset drum kits require some tweaking to make them sound better and I've added some melodic kits to my revised M-12 config:
https://www.yamahadtx.com/index.php?...=65&Itemid=851
Attached Images

Last edited by rhysT; 06-19-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i'm sorry but i'm not really familiar with electronic music.
If I get myself a 200$ e-drum set, will I be able to do such things, change the drum sound to piano sound or trumpet or whatever I want?

If the eKit has MIDI or USB-MIDI.... yes.

Even something as low-end as an SD100 has USB_MIDI.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysT View Post
A useful add-on for your acoustic kit would be a multipad like the DTX Multi-12, plus it can be expanded with pedals and mesh snare pad to make a compact stand-alone practice setup. The included pics show how easily the M-12 can fit into your A-kit setup and its 5 extra trigger inputs allow a 'New Tricks' type conversion.

The preset drum kits require some tweaking to make them sound better and I've added some melodic kits to my revised M-12 config:
https://www.yamahadtx.com/index.php?...=65&Itemid=851
so your suggestion is to get a sampling pad pad? I had thought about it but they're a bit expenssive so I thought the e-drum set as a cheaper solution
Old 06-18-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
If the eKit has MIDI or USB-MIDI.... yes.

Even something as low-end as an SD100 has USB_MIDI.
so if the kit has MIDI or USB-MIDI I will be able to load my own sound and use the edrum set as a sampling pad? I'll be able to play whatever I want on it as long as I load my vst, right?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:16 PM

If you mean load the sound into the computer (using vst and or DAW) and trigger it by hitting a drum pad then, probably so. If your computer is good enough and your midi / usb connection is fast enough.
It will even sound good if your headphones or speakers and or sound interface is good enough.
Do you see the $ taking flight yet? Electronic music don't come easy or cheap.
Best of luck to you above all have fun!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
so if the kit has MIDI or USB-MIDI I will be able to load my own sound and use the edrum set as a sampling pad? I'll be able to play whatever I want on it as long as I load my vst, right?

yes... you need a midi out from the drum moudule... all the rolands, yamahas, 2box will have this.. the no name ones are ify

you need a decent PC or Laptop to run VST's as sometimes they are very memory intensive. I'd recommend at least 8GB of memory.

Now.. you will need a Midi IN on your computer.. so most people will buy an external sound card / Interface to do so.. Some of the newer kits do USB midi and don't require this but the interfaces are cheap..

then you will need to load your daw/vst and run ASIO drivers. the speakers plug into that interface and your good to go.

It's a bit of work but there is a ton of information on the internet about this.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:02 PM

thanks a lot for your help guys
cheers
Old 06-19-2016, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The piano notes are not coming from his drum module. His drum module is sending midi notes to a keyboard or computer.

You can send signals (midi or usb) from many (most?) modules to trigger sounds thru a computer or midi instrument. Maybe not on a $200 kit though.