DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Anybody here watching/bidding on the Ringo Starr auction?

FYI, this is what I bid on: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...%26items%3D100

$44,800 PLUS 25%?? I'd have to play a lot of polkas to cough up that much for those!!

Actually, I already have my Blaemire concert toms - 8 of them - and they were a LOT less than those! :)

Bermuda
Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
Bought by Jim Irsay, owner of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.
He also bought the Sullivan show bd head last month.

The Indianapolis Colts owner made his latest pricey purchase Friday, picking up Ringo Starr's first Ludwig drum set at auction for $1.75 million, a team official confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday.

Irsay owns prominent guitars from the group's other three members Paul McCartney, the late George Harrison and the late John Lennon. Earlier this year, Irsay also purchased a drumhead that will fit the set he just bought.

"Finally, after 45 years, the Beatles are together again," Irsay said in a text message to the AP.

Irsay is a huge music fan and an avid collector. He owns roughly 30 famous guitars, including instruments used by Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia and Eric Clapton.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW-Doug View Post
While I don't know much about Bill Gates personal life at all, does anyone except his family? He's a very private person I think, however, I have never heard of him being a big music fan. The only thing I know about his hobbies, are he has a big a$$ yacht, I am pretty sure, and a big house, and I am sure whatever vehicles he wants. But I have never heard of him being a Ferrari guy either. Ehhh, 1%ers, they are all pretty much alike, just different toys.

In that bracket Tommy, you can do smart things with your money and still have play money. It's like a big pile of cash that never runs dry if you aren't the stupidest guy on the planet. Gates isn't.
Well, Bill Gates has lots of money because be doesn't make stupid "investments". Honestly, this may be the prime time to sell this stuff as the people who were hugely influenced by the Beatles are nearing retirement and have as much money as they will ever have. In 30 years, many of these people will be dead and the demand for a drum set played by Ringo Starr will probably be looked at as some sort of museum piece, not a collectable. It will be something that is donated , not sold for a profit. So $5M is basically given away. Someone like Bill Gates wouldn't let something like $5M just be wasted like that. He, his wife, and the Gates foundation give millions and millions of dollars to Africa to increase child morality, aid in Aids research, aid in getting fresh water to people, developing commerce in the area, and all sorts of other things. $5M dollars sounds like a drop in the bucket for a multi-billionaire, but when that $5M can help 1 million African children lead better lives, if seems rather stupid to spend it on a drumset.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modernist View Post
Flicking through that catalogue, it's clear that Ringo has fucking awful taste in clothes. I hope people don't think Scousers dress like that.
It was probably more like stage wardrobe. But there are a few suits which, yes the lads wore them in public, but in those early days they were handled by Epstein and more often than not if they were in public, they were "on" it was all quite choreographed at first.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 PM

I recently started collecting Ringo items; I did get something from this auction; and most recently I acquired a drumstick that he played on April 8, 1965 during the Beatles rehearsal for "Thank Your Lucky Stars." It's a Ludwig "pencil model." After the rehearsal he gave the stick to Janice Nicholls who was a panel judge on the show. I have a letter signed from her attesting to this provenance.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is such a d-bag. Born with a platinum spoon up his rear and acts like it, along with behaving like a child at times. Although he would never consider donating the drums and bass drum head to the R&R HOF, he should at least consider putting them on display somewhere at Lucas Oil Stadium behind bullet proof glass so many others can see it. But of course that won't ever happen.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb View Post
I recently started collecting Ringo items; I did get something from this auction; and most recently I acquired a drumstick that he played on April 8, 1965 during the Beatles rehearsal for "Thank Your Lucky Stars." It's a Ludwig "pencil model." After the rehearsal he gave the stick to Janice Nicholls who was a panel judge on the show. I have a letter signed from her attesting to this provenance.
Interesting find. My, my, .....Ringo had dirty hands.