DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

a beer or three after the show....that sounds great.

lol - but i don't own a new studio...that design was for MY DREAM studio. i would hate to run a booth at drummerlive. wouldn't want to miss anything while i'm there.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
DW Pro Drummer

yeah - I'm playing drummerlive and looking forward to another INCREDIBLE drum/drummer hang!
Mr. Bernhard - I'll be seeing you in a couple - a - weeks at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt!
I love our little community!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi Billy - so great

(just at the moment I watched/listened "Above the Water" from the DVD....what a groovy song)

Yes, will be great to meet in Frankfurt and then also planning London ...and Austin perhabs?

Bernhard
Old 03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
does yours have a read out? if so, what has been your top speed so far?

j

ps: i don't use mine so much anymore as i am playing drums so often now that any down time is precious for my muscles to repair and build.
aw man, no mine doesn't have a read out, i didn't even know they made ones that did.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Consultant

Hey Billy,
I loved your article in the latest Modern Drummer concerning soloing- I thought it was interesting that you didn't like taking solos- you're such a good player! I think I speak for the majority of the drummer population when I say we'd love to hear your musical ideas.
Also, I thought it was funny that your dentist could sing the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vidda drum solo... Proof that non-musicians can both digest and enjoy a drum soloist! Cheers Billy, thanks for all the drumming and great writing over the years.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
DW Pro Drummer

thanks the duke86!

Having my dentist sing that solo to me (just the beginning part of course...) was amazing - and then the fact that it happened the very same week I needed to write something for that issue about solos totally blew my mind!
Life is really funny sometimes.
thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:14 AM

Default Re: I'm here! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
this billy ward?

seriously? cool... another pro is amongst us. welcome then billy.

j
Billy. Are you a "Big Red Machine" fan or do you just like the shirt?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Default Re: I'm here! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5
Billy. Are you a "Big Red Machine" fan or do you just like the shirt?
huge reds fan. they are embarrasing of late - but I still root for them first and foremost!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Billy are u coming to Italy somewhen???

let me know ...

T
Old 04-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Default A huge doubt

Wow, Billy Ward, you have a really great and creative improvisation, by the way now that you're here, I just wanted to ask....in the solo that you have a small part here on your site of drummerworld, on the Modern Drummer Days festival, you use a technic that I just can't understand, when you make three or four single strokes hitteng the hit-hat under, it's a amazing speed, and you just rise your arm!!!!!!!....i just don't know what to do when I see it....I'd thank if you take the time to explain how do you do that, or what thecnic do you use......anyway, welcome, it's great to see a site where all the greatest are togheter
Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Hey Billy, I recently watched your dvd Big Time just before leaving for a gig. I had to play 36 covers of wich I new about 10. I really felt comfortable and confident going into the set after watching it everything went fine. So thanks for getting me pumped up haha. I do have one question who makes your cymbal stands that you use for stacking w/ the hi hat like top? I looked on DW's sight and didn't see them.

P. S. The earlier post about your age really floored me I thought you were like 35. Maybe there is still hope for me yet!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:39 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Thanks guys! S2K - I'm not understanding what your question is here. If you or anyone else can clarify, I'll be happy to try to answer. I don't recall EVER playing the hats with sticks from UNDERNEATH... so...huh?
but thanks for the comps!

and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbig
Hey Billy, I recently watched your dvd Big Time just before leaving for a gig. I had to play 36 covers of wich I new about 10. I really felt comfortable and confident going into the set after watching it everything went fine. So thanks for getting me pumped up haha. I do have one question who makes your cymbal stands that you use for stacking w/ the hi hat like top? I looked on DW's sight and didn't see them.

P. S. The earlier post about your age really floored me I thought you were like 35. Maybe there is still hope for me yet!

Thanks Drumbig - the part you are looking for is a DW part#9212. It is an arm that sits in a normal DW stand and you can mount two cymbals together like in x-hat configuration. Other companies make this kindo f thing as well, but NONE of them make it so that you can place very heavy 22" cymbal OVER a little 10 or 12 and still adjust the exact amount they are touching each other. Regarding those cover band gigs... I've dont that a ton in the past. This is why my book (modern Drummer publications) ends with my approach for what I call a "quickie chart system". You might enjoy seeing that sometime.
thanks agian-
Bw
Old 04-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Hey Billy, just wanted to say I dug the egg shaker groove you came up with. I can't recall the DVD it was on, but it made me laugh with it's coolness. Dig your playing and attitude as well, postive approach always yields positive results ultimately. You're twenty times the player I'll ever be.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:53 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Hey Billy, just wanted to say I dug the egg shaker groove you came up with. I can't recall the DVD it was on, but it made me laugh with it's coolness. Dig your playing and attitude as well, postive approach always yields positive results ultimately. You're twenty times the player I'll ever be.
thanks medfunbeat - (funny name) youm ight be right, but that doesn't mean you can't be a far better MUSICIAN! :D

Billy
Old 04-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward
Thanks Drumbig - the part you are looking for is a DW part#9212. It is an arm that sits in a normal DW stand and you can mount two cymbals together like in x-hat configuration. Other companies make this kindo f thing as well, but NONE of them make it so that you can place very heavy 22" cymbal OVER a little 10 or 12 and still adjust the exact amount they are touching each other. Regarding those cover band gigs... I've dont that a ton in the past. This is why my book (modern Drummer publications) ends with my approach for what I call a "quickie chart system". You might enjoy seeing that sometime.
thanks agian-
Bw
Billy I really appreciate you taking the time to look that part up for me. I'm definately going to get your book. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Pioneer Member

well i'm coming up on going to my first drum clinic (god knows why i left it so long) and it's seeing mr Billy Ward in scotland! i greatly look forward to it, as i really enjoyed the clips i saw here and you rhythm interview was interesting too. and, it'll take my mind off exams, which start 3 days later (grr!).
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Administrator

Hi billy.
here is a photo of me at my smallest gig (just me and a guitarist/singer). we play on a stage that is 1.5 metres wide so i play a 2 piece drumset and and forced to use small cymbals.
the reason i put it in your thread is that my hihat (2 splashes) is 10''.
works very well.
i have to play very softly but still do nirvana, greenday and blink 182...go figure. its a good exercise in restraint tho.
ever do stuff like this in your past?
j

Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Hey btw Billy, great articles in MD these past few issues! Definitely great advice for people putting together a studio for the first time.

Have you ever tried out the Earthworks drum mics? I know you said youre into pure overhead sound, and I have these mics and they as accurate as I've ever heard a mic. And the snare sounds amazing without a snare mic! Just the set of three and a room mic has gotten me amazing recordings ...

oh yeah and just a note ... I used to tune my snare super high ... and then decided to tune it down for this song I did, kindof like that article you have on how you tune your snares ... and it sounded amazing. So, thanks for that great tip!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 PM
DW Pro Drummer

wow - some more posts lately! Thanks to those of you who are coming to my UK clinics! Be sure and come up and say hello!
Nutha - yeah, that's familiar alright! Just keep doing what feels good. Do you know that i offer a different way (than yours) to place the hat compared to the snare in my DVD? You might want to check that part out again and try it for a while... or not :D

And yeah, Azzz - I like Earthorks mics. They work really well - and also the omni patterns forgive "iffy " placement - so they are great for starters or seasoned veteran engineers.
If you play well - your drums will sound good! So you must be pretty good!!! :D

thanks again folks-
Billy
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Administrator

yeah. but on that particular stage (which was actually the darts piste) i could only set up my kit one way. heck my feet were almost tucked under the snare drum. the hihat tripod was getting in the way of the snare and i couldn't even use my bass drum spurs (i had to tuck two jackets under each side of the drum to stop it rolling).

funnily enough it was because of these weird limitations that i came up with totally fresh ideas. my art teacher used to make limitation rules that would encourage us to think outside the box...like we had to draw a portrait but the rule was that it had to be done with a ballpoint pen and that once the pen was down we couldn't pick it up (so the whole drawing was one continuous line); the results were surprising. to draw the portrait effectively we were then forced to consider how to make the pen lighter or darker and how to inbed its movement into the texture when we had to move it to another part of the page and how to work any errors into the final product so they appeared to be deliberate creative actions.

...sometimes i feel a lot of my drumming is exactly like this. lol

j

Old 04-20-2006, 02:39 PM

I hope someone here can help me with my question.
What's the total length of Billy Ward's DVD? How long?

Thanks!
I watched Billy Ward's Moderndrummer.com videos and they are addicting...
=)
Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-mack
I hope someone here can help me with my question.
What's the total length of Billy Ward's DVD? How long?

Thanks!
I watched Billy Ward's Moderndrummer.com videos and they are addicting...
=)

Hi - I'LL answer! It is one minute longer than 3 hours - the main "movie part is one and a half hours long - then there are extras that equal another hour and a half (+commentary, which is important - further explanations- in this case)

Also....Hi Bernhard! Thanks for the note - I am starting to feel better!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Great to hear Billy...and again....all the best....

(Poor Billy Ward has an Ear Infection)

Billy Ward Forum:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fbillywardfrm1

Bernhard
Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Founder Drummerworld

UK Clinic Tour 2006
May 9th - May 14th

Check it out:

http://www.mikedolbear.com/

I put it also into the forum calendar....

Bernhard

Last edited by Bernhard; 04-30-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
DW Pro Drummer

thanks Bernhard! It starts next week and it's going to be grueling! ....3 Masterclasses and 6 Clinics in 6 days - in 6 different cities!!!
Looking forward to it - Hopefully, some of the Drummerworld gang can come out!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Pioneer Member

i'm looking forward to it.
by the way, reading your interview with rhythm i was suprised how few sticks you (and steve gadd) go through. is it anything to do with your relaxed style, or is it more a case of you knowing where to hit the cymbal?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:46 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
i'm looking forward to it.
by the way, reading your interview with rhythm i was suprised how few sticks you (and steve gadd) go through. is it anything to do with your relaxed style, or is it more a case of you knowing where to hit the cymbal?

Hmmm - my guess is that it is knowing where to place the cymbals and drums for your touch - (and having a consistent touch!) and having a touch that doesn't choke the stick or, more importantly sonically, the object being played.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Pioneer Member

hey billy. one question about the DW stands you use and endorse. I saw an ad with you and the stands in DRUM or MD, can't remember which one, but the stands don't look too sturdy. How do you think they compare to other stands. They look lightweight.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:01 AM

Hi Billy, glad your here. Also thanks Bernhard for this great site.
Buddy H.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 AM

Hey Billy,

I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the drumming. Your approach to drumming is unique and inspiring. I love your articles in Modern Drummer. I also wanted to say that I have lately become a huge fan of Mark Craney, I am from the same city he grew up and some of his buddies in town have turned me on to him, I am very glad they did! Since you were part of the drum club with Craney, I was wondering if you can share some stories or just what you found really cool about Mark Craney, or perhaps a favorite recording or anything you have in mind. I am just trying to learn as much as I can about Mark and his style of drumming. I have the Gino Vannelli "brother to brother" album which is just fantastic. The album has great groove and musicianship. Thanks for the drumming Billy!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
hey billy. one question about the DW stands you use and endorse. I saw an ad with you and the stands in DRUM or MD, can't remember which one, but the stands don't look too sturdy. How do you think they compare to other stands. They look lightweight.
Hi! I use all the DW stands - the ad you are mentioning is their LIGHTWEIGHT series - so yeah, they ARE lightweight. But they are also very sturdy - if you are a true basher, I would avoid. Otherwise, that 6000 series is a great deal - and it's what I'm using if I'm doing the lifting! :D

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)
Old 05-03-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward
Hi! I use all the DW stands - the ad you are mentioning is their LIGHTWEIGHT series - so yeah, they ARE lightweight. But they are also very sturdy - if you are a true basher, I would avoid. Otherwise, that 6000 series is a great deal - and it's what I'm using if I'm doing the lifting! :D

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)

Until the recent MD issue I have never heard of Mark Craney. I understand now how well respected and what a monster player he must of been and look forward to listening to him w/Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli when I find those cd's. He must be one of '' the underrated drummers of all time' to have slipped by me all these years. God bless.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbig
Until the recent MD issue I have never heard of Mark Craney. I understand now how well respected and what a monster player he must of been and look forward to listening to him w/Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli when I find those cd's. He must be one of '' the underrated drummers of all time' to have slipped by me all these years. God bless.
He would so NOT care about whatever attention has happened to him recently (except to joke/brag about it to his friends:D) but I am glad to hear about more people getting aware of him. thanks!
B
Old 05-06-2006, 03:52 AM

Hey Billy, I hope your health is up to the flight! Safe travels and have a great tour! There are some forum friends of mine who might show up in Scotland.. I'm not sure how far the trip is for them though. Hopefully I'll see you when you get back. Take care....
Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Pioneer Member

the clinic was fantastic! billy your style is so unique and you were so creative (hats off to the guitar lead idea). i had an excellent view. i was the guy in the foo fighters t-shirt standing in everyones way, who gave you the kinda lame thumbs up on the way out. i was really glad that it wasn't just a big drum solo, but instead a lesson on how best to compliment a song.
if anyone else has a chance to see billy, take it. it's well worth it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Pioneer Member

P.S. billy is taller in real life than i expected. don't ask me why.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 PM

Hi Billy, i will hear if you ever will come to Denmark, and if you do, would it be possible to get a 1 hour lesson with you ?

Best Regards Daniel Sidelmann

~~ Best Regards Daniel ~~
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Hey there....Absolutely gutted i couldnt make the clinic last sunday. Ah well..i'll have to catch you next tour /sigh
Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 AM

Also - yeah, Mark Craney. I'm honestly still speechless - I hope you saw the Modern Drummer magazine feature about him. It has two wonderful articles - one by Robyn Flans with quotes from many drummers who knew Mark - and the other by Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) who was very close to Mark and it is a WONDERFUL read. I saw Mark play with Jean Luc Ponty and Gino Vanelli 9this was before I knew him) and he totally killed me. I learned a ton just by watching him. (Hi Mark - you are missed)[/quote]

The MD article was simply amazing. One of the best articles I have ever read in my life. Sometime I should get a picture of one of Mark Craney's last kits he had. It is on display at a music store where I live cause Mark grew up here. It is a beautiful kit, plus it has a huge poster collage thing of Mark in the background, which is truly awesome! It has many pictures of him from his playing days in SF to his days with Vanelli, Ponty, Jethro Tull. Really cool!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielheier
The MD article was simply amazing. One of the best articles I have ever read in my life. Sometime I should get a picture of one of Mark Craney's last kits he had. It is on display at a music store where I live cause Mark grew up here. It is a beautiful kit, plus it has a huge poster collage thing of Mark in the background, which is truly awesome! It has many pictures of him from his playing days in SF to his days with Vanelli, Ponty, Jethro Tull. Really cool![/quote]

This is so bizzarre!!!! I wrote the top paragraph a while ago, and then Daniel apparently wrote the second paragraph.. and they are both credited to him. that must be weird for Daniel! :D

So I'm in Ireland now on holiday with my wife and it is wonderful. Thanks to all of you who were able to come to one of the shows!!! Internet access is difficult at times, but I will continue to check in over the next two weeks until I get home.
best,
Billy W