DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

Default Billy Cobham in Hollywood tonight!

So my wife and I got to experience 90 minutes of pure fusion goodness at the Billy Cobham show at the famous Catalina Bar & Grill on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood (just a few blocks north from where Pro Drum is) and wanted to post a few pics. I posted a couple of the drumset, very pretty blue Tama Star drums, and Billy played them great. He was joined by Dean Brown on guitar (awesome), Ric Fierabracci on bass (also awesome), and Gary Husband on keyboards (even more awesome since he is also a killer drummer as well - makes me regret not having taken my piano playing seriously when I had the chance! Nonetheless, I think I'll be hitting the Mozart and Bach piano books in the future). My wife even got a pic of me with the Master at the autograph table after the show.

They were selling the CD, Spectrum 40 Live which I had to get because it was this exact same band playing tonight. I even got the whole band to sign my copy. What was really cool is right from note one, this band was on fire. Some things sounded a little stiff in the beginning, but it was totally minor. If you can catch this show, do so. Killer playing all around, and it makes you question what you can do on your instrument, but I found it inspiring. I now want to practice. Billy is pushing 60, but he doesn't sound like he's lost anything!

Editorial note: what I find a little disheartening about our live music scene is that we got to see this awesome jazz legend and band for $30 each. And we were only 8 feet from the edge of the stage. The cheapest Los Angeles area tickets for say, Van Halen, will cost you at least $260 per ticket! Even Weird Al commands prices in the $100+ range. The price discrepancy is surprising, eh? We even saw the Adrian Belew Power Trio in a small venue in Big Bear for $25 a ticket! I get the big name acts commanding big bucks, but if some young gun tells me he can't afford to see true masters of their craft play live one more time.....grrrrr......!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Matt Bo Eder; 04-25-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Billy Cobham in Hollywood tonight!

Super,
Super,
Super cool !

Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

What a great experience. Yet again I live my life vicariously through you.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Billy is pushing 60, but he doesn't sound like he's lost anything!
I think he's actually over 70 now, which makes his continued prowess especially impressive. I have caught him live a few times with this outfit and I subscribe to everything you said. They work amazingly well as a unit. The chemistry has really jelled.

I have met Billy a few times after the shows as well and he is always so warm and gracious with photos and autographs. Shaking his hand was pretty amazing; really strong grip and massive paws to boot!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
What a great experience. Yet again I live my life vicariously through you.
And I'm living vicariously through you when you're living vicariously through Bo. It's not quite as good as living vicariously through Bo, but there's more people so it's funner.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
And I'm living vicariously through you when you're living vicariously through Bo. It's not quite as good as living vicariously through Bo, but there's more people so it's funner.
And I think he's living vicariously through you, so is this a vicarious loop?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
And I think he's living vicariously through you, so is this a vicarious loop?
Oh you guys.

This is like that movie, "Being John Malkovich".
Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Senior Consultant

I wish I could have been there for that one. Cobham, of course, is a legend. That goes without saying.

But Gary Husband is a marvel. He's an incredible drummer and an even better keyboard player. Just wow. I first head him play on Holdsworth's "Atavachron" when I was in college and I recall the music being so far above my understanding that I just had to know what the hell was going on there.

Then I found out he was an even better piano player and I was left in the dust, with my jaw hanging, by his awesomeness.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

I see he's still playing those huge kits. Sweet. Sounds like a great show. I love that Gary Husband was playing keys. How cool is that?

Like you, I have piano regrets. I basically abandoned the piano completely in favor of the drums. I should have tried to keep up with the piano a little bit.

Speaking of keyboardist drummers, have you seen Andy Stack play? He takes it to another level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8S8OECLfNI

Regarding your editorial note on ticket prices, this is something I'm troubled by too. Back in the 80s, I was just a scruffy 13-year-old with a paper route who loved Van Halen. When the VH show came to town, I was easily able to pay the $15 ticket price out of my own pocket to see them. Even more striking is this quote from Roy Burns, who described arriving in NYC in the late 50s:

Quote:
It was a hotbed of drummers. You could go out to 6 or 7 nightclubs any night of the week for very little money and see Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Philly Joe Jones, Joe Morello...I mean all these great drummers were working all the time. There were two or three great guys in town every night. You just went from one club to the next and it was like taking a free music lesson. It cost you 2 or 3 bucks to get in and you could stay for as long as you wanted. You couldn't go to a better university than seeing those guys play in person up close. Not like a concert. You could be sitting 10 feet from the drum set.
Obviously, such opportunities are not available anymore, and with tickets for A-list performers rising to hundreds of dollars, I feel like it's becoming entertainment for the affluent, rather than for everyone. I don't think this is good for music or for society at large. I understand that album sales have cratered, and live performance is where many artists make their money now, but I don't imagine those A-listers are feeling so much pain that they have to jack the prices that high. Of course, the ticket agencies, venues, local governments, etc. do their own gouging, so it's not all on the artists. Fortunately, there is still affordable live music by lesser known artists out there, but the A-listers and even B-listers appear to be out of reach for a lot of folks, which is a sad thing.

Last edited by boomstick; 04-26-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Glad you had an awesome experience Bo! I just saw them a week ago in Chicago and lapped up every ounce of 70's fusion they were dishing up.

And yes, Gary Husband is amazing. I ended up sitting right next to him but was also able to lean into the empty chair next to me to get a clear shot of Billy (who will be 71 next month, BTW). When I was a kid, I listened to Spectrum over and over so it was a dream to be sitting there hearing tunes from that album (and others of the same era/genre) in-person.

I ended up having to go alone so it's nice to sort of celebrate the experience with you (and 8 Mile) on here. Hope you're as inspired as I still am, even after a week!

Jason

P.S. Re: ticket prices, I paid a stupid-cheap $40 for mine and thought the same thing. I'd have happily paid much more for this experience.

Last edited by spleen; 04-26-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added response re: ticket prices.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Glad you had an awesome experience Bo! I just saw them a week ago in Chicago and lapped up every ounce of 70's fusion they were dishing up.

And yes, Gary Husband is amazing. I ended up sitting right next to him but was also able to lean into the empty chair next to me to get a clear shot of Billy (who will be 71 next month, BTW). When I was a kid, I listened to Spectrum over and over so it was a dream to be sitting there hearing tunes from that album (and others of the same era/genre) in-person.

I ended up having to go alone so it's nice to sort of celebrate the experience with you (and 8 Mile) on here. Hope you're as inspired as I still am, even after a week!

Jason

P.S. Re: ticket prices, I paid a stupid-cheap $40 for mine and thought the same thing. I'd have happily paid much more for this experience.
Yeah, Stan at ProDrum told me Billy is now 70. Incredible. I hope I can still play when I get up there. He obviously looked a little more frail than what I remember from the ads in the 70s and 80s, but the music was good. Gary Husband is a total inspiration. I am planning on putting my new electric grand piano to use by breaking out the intermediate Mozart and Bach books again (this is where I left off after getting out of college). Piano knowledge definitely doesn't hurt!