DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 PM

Default HHX Legacy Hats, AAX O-Zone crash

Hey,

I'm planning on buying a couple of cymbals for my drumset, and before I start investing money, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.

First of all, I'm considering Sabian Legacy 14" hats. My style of playing is quite dynamic, and I'd like to know how well these hats hold up in a more heavier drumming situation. Do they sound good when hit hard? Is there a risk that they would not withstand it?

My other plan is getting AAZ O-Zone crash 18" for my stack, on top of a Paragon China 19". Does anyone have experience with this kind of a setup? Currently I have the HHX Evolution O-Zone crash on the stack, but I loved its sound too much to not be played separately.

Any thoughts, ideas? :)
-cosmicteapot
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: HHX Legacy Hats, AAX O-Zone crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicteapot View Post
Hey,

I'm planning on buying a couple of cymbals for my drumset, and before I start investing money, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.

First of all, I'm considering Sabian Legacy 14" hats. My style of playing is quite dynamic, and I'd like to know how well these hats hold up in a more heavier drumming situation. Do they sound good when hit hard? Is there a risk that they would not withstand it?

My other plan is getting AAZ O-Zone crash 18" for my stack, on top of a Paragon China 19". Does anyone have experience with this kind of a setup? Currently I have the HHX Evolution O-Zone crash on the stack, but I loved its sound too much to not be played separately.

Any thoughts, ideas? :)
-cosmicteapot
My drum teacher has a set of Legacy hats. They sound amazing in styles such as jazz, blues, etc. He has used them for some light rock situations, but I doubt they could hold up very well to heavy playing due to the very light top hat. I would suggest getting something like the HHX stage hats or evolution hats. They have a medium weight top, so I think they would be better for the job.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HHX Legacy Hats, AAX O-Zone crash

Legacy hats will work out totally fine as long as you don't "dig in" with your strikes. That's one of the big things that kills cymbals. I play metal with tree trunk sticks and extra thin cymbals and haven't broken any of them in 2-3 years (other than a structurally unsound china).

Brent Rodgers has been using a pair of Legacies (and the top hat with a different bottom) for quite a while.

If you're not aware, Troy Wright plays that exact stack combination (the HHX Evolution on top). I think an AAX there wouldn't sound too different, probably a little clangier/more biting.