DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Low tuning inspiration - Carter Mclean

Member KamaK turned me on to this guy. Check out this great playing and great low tuning on this recording. Combined with the song, I swear I could just float on this drum sound.

I asked Carter what he was using for heads and he said he's got Remo PS4's on the tom batters with diplomats on the bottoms. His snare has a super muffler of some sort. This is probably the extreme other end of the spectrum when we're listening to drum covers, but I thought I'd share this with everybody.

I'm installing new heads on my classic maples today - I'm going for this sound first. I've the done the "high and tight" thing, time to spend some time in the other side of the pool ;)

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1XJNBvIpWY
Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Low tuning inspiration - Carter Mclean

I don't know what it is about the guy, but I really dig his work. If you look at his other videos, his parts are tasteful, simple, well played, and with good technique. Everything is so clean that it's easy for a hobbyist like me to figure out and attempt to replicate what he's doing. Seeing him play has inspired me to change how I play, my grip, my fill choices, etc.

It's also a wonderful contrast to a lot of highly-technical superhuman virtuosos that populate youtube these days.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
It's also a wonderful contrast to a lot of highly-technical superhuman virtuosos that populate youtube these days.
I agree. There's too much of that stuff on the internets these days. I suppose I could categorize myself as one of those "look at me" players, but lately, I just want to sit behind the band and make it groove. If nobody sees me, I can live with that. It's refreshing.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Hah, that's funny. I've watched his video demo'ing the Keropes many times (I should just suck it up and buy some, but holy hell they are so expensive) but I never bothered to check his other videos. Thanks for the tip.

I agree, he's one of the most tasteful drummers I've heard. He's clearly very good at supporting the song and doesn't overplay. Definitely one of my new role models.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Very smooth with great groove and feel. I love the punchy low tones of the toms.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

He's a really lovely player. Chooses great sounds.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 AM

Glad to see Carter getting some recognition. I stumbled across his videos through the Dunnett Facebook page. I really enjoy his drum demos. Such a great way to actually hear what the drums (and cymbals) sound like in the context of a very tasteful groove. One of the few drum videos that actually make me want to go out and buy more drums.

Carter, keep the demos coming!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Glad to see Carter getting some recognition. I stumbled across his videos through the Dunnett Facebook page. I really enjoy his drum demos. Such a great way to actually hear what the drums (and cymbals) sound like in the context of a very tasteful groove. One of the few drum videos that actually make me want to go out and buy more drums.

Carter, keep the demos coming!
I faced the same dilemma as well. Greg Mendoza showed me the George Way drums at NAMM and I was sold then. I see Carter playing those drums and now they're a must have.

Luckily, I came to my senses, did some experimenting with my Ludwigs, and it's nice to know I'm capable of getting low tones. But those George Way drums are totally worth it.