DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 07-18-2014, 03:23 AM

Default Need help with choosing a Ride!

Hey guys and gals, i have decided on 2 Ride models that i really like the sound of, problem is i can't choose.

The rides in question are:

Meinl 20"/22" Mb20 Heavy bell ride

or

Meinl 21" byzance Serpents ride

I play Death/black metal for the record, but with soft inluences like jazz n' stuff. So i really need a ride that can be musical and not just sound like a big car crash, but still have a dark but defined sound, and loud bell of course. So anyone with experience of these two rides are free to speak! :D (Anyone else too)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Need help with choosing a Ride!

I'd go with the byzance serpent ride out of those two choices. From my knowledge, the byzance line has an altogether more jazzy feel. I mean I'm watching the Memphis drum shop video of derrick roddy play it and its sounding good on metal and jazz. But I'm not experienced at all with meinl cymbals, more sabians myself, so take that as you will
Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM

Calling Porter!!!

The MB20 heavy bell is very cool... "Brutal" is a proper term in this case. ;)

Haven't tried the serpent ride!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't played a Serpents ride in person, but the soundfiles online make it seem like the bell and such are not super strong. I own a 20" Heavy Bell, and it's amazingly musical for how heavy it is with a KILLER bell. Danny Walker uses the same model in Intronaut, check out their latest album for an example of how it works in lighter contexts.

I'd check out the regular Mb20 Heavy Rides too, those are a little more versatile/less brutal than the Heavy Bells IIRC.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I haven't played a Serpents ride in person, but the soundfiles online make it seem like the bell and such are not super strong. I own a 20" Heavy Bell, and it's amazingly musical for how heavy it is with a KILLER bell. Danny Walker uses the same model in Intronaut, check out their latest album for an example of how it works in lighter contexts.

I'd check out the regular Mb20 Heavy Rides too, those are a little more versatile/less brutal than the Heavy Bells IIRC.
I am a big fan of Walker! That's one of the reasons i chose Meinl :) I don't know about the regular mb20's, the problem i have is their monotone bodysound. It doesn't sound complex, but it sounds really clean and awesome when playing metal. So maybe the 20 would be a nice choice. The serpent just feels warmer and still brutal if you really want, but i can't shake of the feeling that the serpent ride have a hollow sounding bell. I love a meaty bell, and that's really my only concern here.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know if you're going to find something that is going to sound ideal for both, to be honest. What you COULD do is just get a Heavy Bell and use a big crash for a ride (like an Mb20 or maybe a Byzance Medium ride).

If you're still looking for everything in one cymbal, though, I'd look at the Dream Dark Matter Energy rides. I have the 20" version- it's pretty low-pitched but has a shockingly good ping and bell yet is still very crashable with a short-ish decay. The 22" probably will have an even better bell but may be a little more washy. I can record a short clip of some metal stuff with the Dream if you want.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I don't know if you're going to find something that is going to sound ideal for both, to be honest. What you COULD do is just get a Heavy Bell and use a big crash for a ride (like an Mb20 or maybe a Byzance Medium ride).

If you're still looking for everything in one cymbal, though, I'd look at the Dream Dark Matter Energy rides. I have the 20" version- it's pretty low-pitched but has a shockingly good ping and bell yet is still very crashable with a short-ish decay. The 22" probably will have an even better bell but may be a little more washy. I can record a short clip of some metal stuff with the Dream if you want.
No, it's okay, but thanks for all the great tips! I will leave the thread open a while longer and see if someone experienced with Meinl can give me a good view of the rides! I only use Meinl, that's the problem really :P But getting a byzance medium ride isn't a dumb idea as its really crashable too.