DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Default e-drum connection to PC

Hi - new member here. I used to play back in middle/high school, but that was over 20 years ago and I'm just now getting back into playing.

I got a Yamaha DTX532K kit and really enjoy it.

I want to connect it to my computer, as I have a pretty decent sound system on it, solely for the purposes of being able to hear my kit without using headphones and try out different drum sounds. I can connect my kit to the PC no problem, and even got a demo version of Addictive Drums 2, but the latency is distracting.

I mean, I'll do a drag and it'll sound like a triplet - as the final note is played a split second after I've struck the pad. I'd guess the latency is a few tenths of a second?

Is this something with an easy solution? This is a hobby and at this point I don't have any plans or requirements to do recording and I don't want to spend much on software/hardware to make the connection better.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: e-drum connection to PC

You will just have to keep searching on "latency" and find a solution.

I had it when I tried to use Audacity and Sonar but not with Garage Band. Actually, once in a while it shows up seriously on GB but I just close/open and it's gone.

I have no idea anything about the technical end of it. I love computer stuff when it works. When it doesn't....not so much.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

I think the latency is related to your computers speed so the only advice I can think of is to get a computer with a faster processor....
Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 AM

I don't know a lot about this - I too am still learning, but I thought some of the latency issues could be attributed to the sound card. How about adding an audio interface - something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or some other AI?

SKK
Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Adjusting latency is a simple matter of typing in a number, or adjusting a slider, - once you know where to look.

Maybe this will help some: http://www.ehow.com/how_12160207_cha...s-latency.html
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM

I have a lot of experience with latency, none of it good. Seriously, there are many many many things which may be causing it:

1. Slow CPU - unlikely (as the sole cause) unless your using a really old computer, say at least more than 5 years old, and even then doubtful, unless you've got it bogged down as a web server/print server/media server/ etc.
2. Sound card settings - certainly a possibility, well worth checking on. But not the only possibility
3. Badly written drivers - This is where it gets interesting, and really really painful. The first thing of course, is the drivers for your sound card. Make sure they are up to date, and check (do research) to see what kind of reputation your sound card mfr has. You may need a new one. Now, where it gets painful, is that other devices (pretty much anything) on your pc could have badly written drivers that hog CPU time, and thus, cause latency.
Here is a lot more (but probably still quite incomplete) information:
http://www.presonus.com/community/Le...sic-Production
http://www.presonus.com/community/Le...-Audio-Latency
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Sadly, there is no one silver bullet, as computers, soundcards, and software are all so different and can be used in so many different configurations. Also, realize that even if everything is perfect, there will still be some latency. According to that second presonus article, there is a minimum of between 5-22 ms minimum of latency using USB 2.0. (Firewire is not much better at the minimum, firewire is much better about getting you to that minimum). I think I recall reading somewhere that latency of about 12ms is noticeable to humans. I really hope our technology gets better. I am anxiously awaiting Thunderbolt, although I have not seen any info relating to latency with it, only total bandwidth.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrush View Post
I have a lot of experience with latency, none of it good. Seriously, there are many many many things which may be causing it:

1. Slow CPU - unlikely (as the sole cause) unless your using a really old computer, say at least more than 5 years old, and even then doubtful, unless you've got it bogged down as a web server/print server/media server/ etc.
2. Sound card settings - certainly a possibility, well worth checking on. But not the only possibility
3. Badly written drivers - This is where it gets interesting, and really really painful. The first thing of course, is the drivers for your sound card. Make sure they are up to date, and check (do research) to see what kind of reputation your sound card mfr has. You may need a new one. Now, where it gets painful, is that other devices (pretty much anything) on your pc could have badly written drivers that hog CPU time, and thus, cause latency.
Here is a lot more (but probably still quite incomplete) information:
http://www.presonus.com/community/Le...sic-Production
http://www.presonus.com/community/Le...-Audio-Latency
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Sadly, there is no one silver bullet, as computers, soundcards, and software are all so different and can be used in so many different configurations. Also, realize that even if everything is perfect, there will still be some latency. According to that second presonus article, there is a minimum of between 5-22 ms minimum of latency using USB 2.0. (Firewire is not much better at the minimum, firewire is much better about getting you to that minimum). I think I recall reading somewhere that latency of about 12ms is noticeable to humans. I really hope our technology gets better. I am anxiously awaiting Thunderbolt, although I have not seen any info relating to latency with it, only total bandwidth.

Good luck.
Wow, makes me glad I don't bother with VST's and just rely on module sounds (craptastic as they are).
I think we all need to get onto FSR based kits ASAP!
(I think that's enough acronyms for one post).
Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

If you're looking for the cheapest solution, try a different driver for your soundcard based on an audio format, such as ASIO4ALL.

But this might not eliminate the problem altogether. To make latency unnoticeable, you definitely need to have a soundcard that takes the load off your PC. More RAM also helps.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:37 PM

I use reaper.. under options,preferences it has to do with the buffer size

the biggest issue with latency is you DON'T have enough ram.

if you think you do.. you could use more

so if you have 2 gigs of ram good luck.. id upgrade

if you have 4-8-16gb now ur talking

your device/external sound card will have latency setings on it... i set to low latency........ and in reaper i change the buffer size smaller. the VST application its self has buffer/memory settings too... play with these numbers and it helps.. it slightly degrades sound quality but gets rid of the lag... when you go too far it sounds like robots.

good luck